PDA

View Full Version : Lost pictures and a few questions

xUKHCx
Sep 27, 2007, 11:37 AM
I just came back from Malaysia and Thailand and took out one of the memory cards i used and attached it to a card reader. The whole computer froze and after a long period hoping it would come back (read 30 minutes) i had to do a hard reset, after rebooting some of the pictures are corrupt (135). I have used a lot of programs to try and recover the files, iPhoto, Klix, Exif Untrasher, Data Rescue 2, PhotoRecovery. But it looks like they are lost, but this is where i am slightly confused, because in Finder these pictures almost all (only 3 don't) show up with full correct thumbnails, so how does Finder know what the pictures should be like and if it can read them how come the others can't.

Nikon D40 with SanDisk Ultra II 2.0GB, iMac Core 2 Duo 2.16

*I experienced the same crashing with windows computers when using card readers, so is there something funky with how the D40 writes to the memory card.

compuwar
Sep 27, 2007, 12:38 PM
I just came back from Malaysia and Thailand and took out one of the memory cards i used and attached it to a card reader. The whole computer froze and after a long period hoping it would come back (read 30 minutes) i had to do a hard reset, after rebooting some of the pictures are corrupt (135). I have used a lot of programs to try and recover the files, iPhoto, Klix, Exif Untrasher, Data Rescue 2, PhotoRecovery. But it looks like they are lost, but this is where i am slightly confused, because in Finder these pictures almost all (only 3 don't) show up with full correct thumbnails, so how does Finder know what the pictures should be like and if it can read them how come the others can't.

Nikon D40 with SanDisk Ultra II 2.0GB, iMac Core 2 Duo 2.16

*I experienced the same crashing with windows computers when using card readers, so is there something funky with how the D40 writes to the memory card.

The thumnails are at the start of the file, so they're easily read if the corruption is at the end. The D40 doesn't do anything special, I'd suspect the cards before anything else- unless you've gotten something in the memory slot or your particular camera is bad.