PDA

View Full Version : iServe Mockup

Santiago
Aug 25, 2003, 09:50 PM
I put together a fake page showing a hypothetical low-end Apple server I call the iServe (http://santiago.mapache.org/design/iserve/index.html). Those of you who like that sort of thing can check it out...

smada
Aug 25, 2003, 10:26 PM
it would seem to me that with the inevitable implementation of G5's into future XServes, the G4 might be a better choice for this low end server's processor than the G3.

tazo
Aug 25, 2003, 10:43 PM
I wouldn't be advertising this page; Apple could sue you for copyright infringement...

Mudbug
Aug 25, 2003, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by smada
it would seem to me that with the inevitable implementation of G5's into future XServes, the G4 might be a better choice for this low end server's processor than the G3.

Nah - the server wouldn't have a need for the altivec topper on the chip, so a G3 would actually make a pretty nice server chip. Especially for a home environment. And with the faster G3s on the horizon and the loss of interest of the G4s by moto, then the G3 would make more sense.
Hypothetically speaking, of course ;)

Nice job on the page - it looks good. Not to mention some good ideas in it, like the ibook battery backup for a server... Apple should take a note.

hayesk
Aug 26, 2003, 01:12 PM
I'd buy one. :)

GeeYouEye
Aug 26, 2003, 01:55 PM
Looks pretty nice. But where on Earth would you put it? It doesn't fit on a rack, and it has a huge footprint for a desktop setting. The only other thing I could think of would be too attach it to the underside of a desk, but then there's AirPort Extreme reception problems. Very nice idea with the battery, but I'd make it thicker and have a huge battery for this kind of thing; unlike a laptop, a server doesn't particularly care how much power it sucks down so long as there's a performance increase. You'd need a bigger battery then as a backup.

Oh, and tazo, mock-ups fall under "parody" rules, so there's no copyright infringement unless he was actually selling this.

BrandonRP0123
Aug 26, 2003, 03:33 PM
I'd buy one - considering if I put something in our data center here, I'd want something smaller than a horizontal power mac g4 (G5s are too tall for sideways mount), and don't want to spend $3000 on an xserve.

tazo
Aug 26, 2003, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by GeeYouEye
Looks pretty nice. But where on Earth would you put it? It doesn't fit on a rack, and it has a huge footprint for a desktop setting. The only other thing I could think of would be too attach it to the underside of a desk, but then there's AirPort Extreme reception problems. Very nice idea with the battery, but I'd make it thicker and have a huge battery for this kind of thing; unlike a laptop, a server doesn't particularly care how much power it sucks down so long as there's a performance increase. You'd need a bigger battery then as a backup.

Oh, and tazo, mock-ups fall under "parody" rules, so there's no copyright infringement unless he was actually selling this.

I wasnt talking about the mockup, I was talking about the copying of apple's website code for his mockup page.

ibookin'
Aug 29, 2003, 02:27 AM
It looks like my iBook with a bigger hard drive, gigabit ethernet, and no screen.

A very nice mockup, by the way. I could see something like this being added to Apple's server line as the XServe starts to gain more momentum.