PDA

View Full Version : Apple Releases EFI Firmware Updates

MacRumors
Sep 27, 2007, 03:29 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Apple released a number of EFI Firmware Updates for the iMac, Mac Pro, MacBook, MacBook Pro and Xserve today.

The update describes various fixes including

- Improves performance and reliability of Intel Core 2 Duo Processors (iMac, MacBook, MacBook Pro)
- Improves performance and reliability of Dual-Core Intel Xeon Procesors (Xserve)
- Fixes issues with Boot Camp (iMac, Mac Pro, MacBook, MacBook Pro)
- Fixes fan behavior (Mac Pro)

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/09/27/apple-releases-efi-firmware-updates/)

Chris Welch
Sep 27, 2007, 03:30 PM
Hopefully this will resolve the freezing/lockup issues that new iMac owners have been experiencing.

mainstreetmark
Sep 27, 2007, 03:32 PM
- Fixes "my battery charger quit working and, so, the MB must be plugged in at all times?" -- probably not
- Fixes "my screen perpetually thinks it's closed, and requires an external monitor, or risk falling asleep?" -- probably not
- Fixes "I installed a ridiculous aftermarket antenna booster, and now my blackbook is dying?" -- probably not.
- Fixes "My iPhone wants a clickwheel?" -- probably not.

Stuipdboy1000
Sep 27, 2007, 03:33 PM
Wow. Apple really seems to be churning out the updates lately.

Consultant
Sep 27, 2007, 03:37 PM
nothing for MBP Santa Rosa yet

I have the 17", doh!
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303880

ImAlwaysRight
Sep 27, 2007, 03:37 PM
Note in log: 4th week of September is Apple's Christmas :)

Improves performance and reliability of Intel Core 2 Duo Processors

Interesting. How can my 2.1GHz iMac increase in performance with an EFI update?

wrldwzrd89
Sep 27, 2007, 03:38 PM
Looking at this page (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303880), it appears that almost every single Intel-powered Mac got a firmware update today... whoever said Apple is busy churning out updates was right.

psychofreak
Sep 27, 2007, 03:42 PM
No problems here (so far) :)

mac 2005
Sep 27, 2007, 03:43 PM
Is this update available under the :apple: menu or do I need to download it from the Apple site?

Xeem
Sep 27, 2007, 03:43 PM
Has anyone run any benchmarks yet to see just how much (if any) of a performance increase there is?

overcast
Sep 27, 2007, 03:45 PM
Note in log: 4th week of September is Apple's Christmas :)

Improves performance and reliability of Intel Core 2 Duo Processors

Interesting. How can my 2.1GHz iMac increase in performance with an EFI update?
Well since EFI/BIOS is the interface between the platform and the OS, that would make sense, yes?

Kebabselector
Sep 27, 2007, 03:46 PM
Why do people feel the need to vote negative for a firmware upgrade ?????????

netdog
Sign of the new Mac Pros to come tomorrow.

Maccus Aurelius
Uh oh, hope it doesn't BSOD when I get home :p

kevo0822
Sep 27, 2007, 03:48 PM
This update includes SR MBPs right? It seems like it should, but Software Update only listed the iWork updates... Maybe I'll restart and see if it makes a difference.

wrldwzrd89
Sep 27, 2007, 03:49 PM
This update includes SR MBPs right? It seems like it should, but Software Update only listed the iWork updates... Maybe I'll restart and see if it makes a difference.
15 inch SR MBPs only, not 17 inch. See the link in my post above.

eme jota ce
Sep 27, 2007, 03:49 PM
Installed on macbook C2D 2.16 - no problems here, either.

Bad Paper
Sep 27, 2007, 03:50 PM
hmm. I have had problems with my Macbook thinking "hmm, now that I'm asleep, I should just reboot. I bet Bad Paper would really thank me."

Don't know whether this update will fix this problem, but my instinct from years of fixing Winders machines tells me that it's a hardware problem, so here's to crossed fingers.

altcomputing
Sep 27, 2007, 03:52 PM
MB 1.83 Core2Duo: no problems, update was smooth on beta Leopard!

ansalmo
Sep 27, 2007, 03:52 PM
Nothing showing in up in my iMac's software updateother than the iLife and iWork stuff.

ktlx
Sep 27, 2007, 03:53 PM
Well since EFI/BIOS is the interface between the platform and the OS, that would make sense, yes?
Intel Macs use EFI, not BIOS.

Darkroom
Sep 27, 2007, 03:58 PM
i never had any problems with my iMac Core 2, but maybe 4 times in the past year the CPU fan would suddenly speed up to 5000rpm (from it's normal 1200rpm) and its really loud... it never lasted long, maybe it took a minute to slowly spin down to it's normal state of 1200rpm... anyway, does anyone know why it has done this? when this happened i was never running any intensive apps, and once i wasn't running anything...

kitki83
Sep 27, 2007, 03:59 PM
Does this fix the USB HD problems people had, where it would not read, or did but freeze the system until you yank out the USB HD.

thejadedmonkey
Sep 27, 2007, 03:59 PM
I wonder if this will help the Linux scene on the macbook's..

cavemonkey50
Sep 27, 2007, 04:01 PM
My 15-inch SR MBP didn't see the firmware update, so I manually downloaded it. The installer reported the update wasn't needed, so perhaps all SR MBPs don't need the update. Has any SR MBP owner been able to install the update?

Chris Welch
Sep 27, 2007, 04:02 PM
The new iMacs aren't included? Odd.

HailToTheVictor
Sep 27, 2007, 04:06 PM
no updates for the core duo's:mad:

csimon2
Sep 27, 2007, 04:06 PM
hmm. I have had problems with my Macbook thinking "hmm, now that I'm asleep, I should just reboot. I bet Bad Paper would really thank me."

Don't know whether this update will fix this problem, but my instinct from years of fixing Winders machines tells me that it's a hardware problem, so here's to crossed fingers. Bad Paper,

Check out this link:http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20070302210328928 I was having the exact same issues, and I applied the steps noted in that link and all has been good now for three weeks. I imagine this probably has something to do with the third-party RAM I installed in my C2D MBP 2.16GHz.

Also, didn't the SR's just receive a fw update a few weeks ago? That's probably why you guys don't have an update listed.

flir67
Sep 27, 2007, 04:09 PM
c2d here with 1.83 and no problems here.

amoda
Sep 27, 2007, 04:09 PM
My 15-inch SR MBP didn't see the firmware update, so I manually downloaded it. The installer reported the update wasn't needed, so perhaps all SR MBPs don't need the update. Has any SR MBP owner been able to install the update?

Same thing here, I guess you're right; not all SR mbps need this update.

kevo0822
Sep 27, 2007, 04:11 PM

Not to worry... I wasn't able to install it either. On the Apple website, it still lists the firmware version for 15" SR MBPs to be 1.3, so we're still current.

Although I kinda wish I had an update:o...

commander.data
Sep 27, 2007, 04:15 PM
From the wording of the update and the fact that it only targets Merom and family, I'm guessing this is Apple's implementation of the microcode update that Microsoft released last month:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936357

Normally, microcode updates are implemented by mobo makers in the BIOS, but this one seemed important enough that Microsoft included in a Windows Update to make sure it's more widely distributed. Seeing Apple controls the mobo/EFI and the OS, this is probably them implementing the same thing or perhaps an even more recent microcode version.

Marble
Sep 27, 2007, 04:17 PM
Any news on whether this update fixes the new iMac's random freezing?

bdkennedy1
Sep 27, 2007, 04:18 PM
The update said my 24" aluminum iMac doesn't need the update. Hmmm.

pianoman181
Sep 27, 2007, 04:21 PM
No Santa Rosa machines are affected by this EFI update. The EFI update for the 15" SR MBP listed on that aforementioned link was version 1.3, aka the one released back in July.

DutchCourage
Sep 27, 2007, 04:23 PM
MBP 2.33 update succesfull

TurboSC
Sep 27, 2007, 04:23 PM
yea my friend's iMac had a few hiccups, funny we were talking about it the other day, now this.

bdgdoom
Sep 27, 2007, 04:34 PM
the website says that for mbp, the newest boot rom version should be MBP31.0070.B03

i tried manually updating, and no go.

although system profiler still says i have
MBP31.0070.B02

i have 2.2 MBP

nateco
Sep 27, 2007, 04:36 PM
seems snappier on a 1.83 c2d with 10.5.

Watching activity monitor while doing random things...kernel task is using about half the ram as a before...and itunes and safari idle along better too.

overcast
Sep 27, 2007, 04:41 PM

Thanks Captian Obvious, what do you think EFI is? Successor to BIOS.

JonDann
Sep 27, 2007, 04:42 PM

Don't think so... I have a MBP SR 15" and no update. That link you posted says update 1.3 is the latest and that came out in July.

motoko
Sep 27, 2007, 04:42 PM
I know this sounds crazy, but the first thing I noticed after installing this update and restarting was that my 2.33 MBP speakers sounded a lot better.

DaBrain
Sep 27, 2007, 04:43 PM

Yeah I haven't seen a firmware update in a long time, but that's ok here, all has been working well for me. :)

MagicBoy
Sep 27, 2007, 04:44 PM

Mine works fine. If you're feeling cheated go out and buy a Core2!

bobrik
Sep 27, 2007, 04:49 PM

On My 15 inch SR MBP, the update says "This computer does not need this update."

wrldwzrd89
Sep 27, 2007, 04:50 PM
Update successful. I guess I was wrong about the firmware updates for SR MBPs then.

bdgdoom
Sep 27, 2007, 04:50 PM
http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/macbookproefifirmwareupdate14.html

still not showing up for me

kwood
Sep 27, 2007, 04:52 PM
I did the update on a 2.0 C2D Black MacBook. When it restarted the first time after the update, my iSight was on and Bluetooth was not recognized. Restarting did not fix the problem. I had to shut down the computer and wait for the camera to go off then restart. After doing to the computer is now recognizing both devices.

bobrik
Sep 27, 2007, 04:56 PM
the website says that for mbp, the newest boot rom version should be MBP31.0070.B03

MBP31.0070.B02

i have 2.2 MBP

Exactly the same here, (including B02 vs. B03 :-) - makes me confused).

Overall, I think the site which lists firmware updates for various models is very confusing - nowhere a clear explanation "if you have this model of MBP, you need this (these) updates" - how the hell am I supposed to tell if "MacBook Pro (15-inch)", or "MacBook Pro (Core 2 Duo 15-inch)", or "MacBook Pro (2.4/2.2 GHz 15-inch)" applies to me? Strictly speaking, my MBP fits in all of these 3 categories. They saved the situation with the update being able to identify my machine and refuse to install on it when it's not needed.

SiliconAddict
Sep 27, 2007, 04:56 PM
Once more unto the breach, dear friends....anytime I do a firmware update I swear it feels like I'm being shot at. The question is will that bad update hit me or not.

MaliciousDesign
Sep 27, 2007, 05:00 PM
I don't know about you all, but my updater also found an update to iWeb. It's currently downloading version 2.02. Does anyone know what this is about?

HailToTheVictor
Sep 27, 2007, 05:01 PM
Mine works fine. If you're feeling cheated go out and buy a Core2!

I would love to, but I am a poor student and this one has to last me until law school

Peace
Sep 27, 2007, 05:03 PM

EFI is not a "successor" to BIOS.

EFI is Extensible Firmware Interface and can contain 20 different type of "modules" including BIOS.Basic Input/Output System.

The BIOS is on a chip.

The EFI module is also on a chip.

sailnavy
Sep 27, 2007, 05:03 PM
Update refused to install on my Macbook. Odd.:confused:

GeekLawyer
Sep 27, 2007, 05:06 PM
No problems here. My Updater found iWeb 2.0.2 as well.

I should say: EFI-update love for my C2D Macbook. No EFI-update love for my CD iMac. Think jealous. :apple:

Leopard on 10/2 -- this Tuesday? Hmmm....?

A Pittarelli
Sep 27, 2007, 05:07 PM
work fantastic on my 1.83 c2 macbook

ChrisA
Sep 27, 2007, 05:10 PM

Only during boot up. You have to learn to listen to "programmer speek". When on of
us says "improved performance" is means "improved performance for the part of the
system I'm working on." So my new driver for the USB bug zapper will make it kill more bugs but Safari will not run any quicker.

So EFi has better performance. When are you running EFI? It wil run faster only during that time. Back in the old days, in the 1980's the OS would make a call into the BIOS
every time it wanted to do something like write a sector to the disk. Those days
are long gone.

You want my guess? I think this has something to do with Leopard.

Stridder44
Sep 27, 2007, 05:11 PM
Works great on my .8 Ghz G4 iMac. No problems here, things seem snappier.

phillipjfry
Sep 27, 2007, 05:13 PM

PC users who can't afford iMac :)

Zegna
Sep 27, 2007, 05:13 PM
10.4.10 apparently is required before installing this Firmware Update.

LizKat
Sep 27, 2007, 05:21 PM

Somewhere on MR site is a FAQ or a sticky post or something I bumped into once that talks about what our votes on news announcements might mean. the gist of it was that a vote for or against means whatever the voter thinks it means, therefore the totals are... hash (my interpretation).

cosine83
Sep 27, 2007, 05:24 PM
I just tried to do the update. My battery was very low before I plugged it in. I couldn't even get the update process to begin. I shut down, let it sit for a few seconds, held the power button down for a couple minutes and no flashing sleep light or an update screen. Nothing. Wtf.

neonart
Sep 27, 2007, 05:28 PM
My 2.5 SR MBP does not show the EFI update, instead it shows Software Update 1.0.

I performed the last update, so this is new...

Darwin
Sep 27, 2007, 05:30 PM

Same story for my Mac Pro, the system shuts down rather then restarting, when booted up it shows the progress bar for a second then restarts and loads up fully.

Then the firmware software loads up like the firmware hadn't been installed.

odd indeed

Bad Paper
Sep 27, 2007, 05:35 PM
Check out this link:http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20070302210328928 I was having the exact same issues, and I applied the steps noted in that link and all has been good now for three weeks. I imagine this probably has something to do with the third-party RAM I installed in my C2D MBP 2.16GHz.
eh? That doesn't seem to apply to my situation. I'm not losing power {I think, unless both adapter and battery are colluding}, and it's not about sleep time.

It's just that sometimes I wake up the machine and it has apparently rebooted (both logged-in users are logged out).

saltcured
Sep 27, 2007, 05:37 PM
Long time listener, first time caller..

Ran xbench from fresh boot before and after update on my 2.16 imac. 157.89 before, 160.71 after which falls within the margin of error. Everything seems ok otherwise.

Cheers!

Kebabselector
Sep 27, 2007, 05:41 PM

Most likely!

Anyway, ran the update. Seems to be fine, though my MacBook was fine to start with.

psychofreak
Sep 27, 2007, 05:41 PM
Same story for my Mac Pro, the system shuts down rather then restarting, when booted up it shows the progress bar for a second then restarts and loads up fully.

Then the firmware software loads up like the firmware hadn't been installed.

odd indeed

If its the same as with the Macbook, its meant to shut down...then hold the power button for about 10 seconds and let go...then wait :)

FreeState
Sep 27, 2007, 05:42 PM

Im having the same issue...

I have a MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo (4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM)

And this is what Apple says to look at after the update to make sure it took:

"After the firmware is successfully applied to your computer, your BootROM Version will be one of the following:
MBP21.00A5.B07
MBP22.00A5.B07
MBP31.0070.B03"

Mine is: MBP31.0070.B02

odd...

twoodcc
Sep 27, 2007, 05:47 PM
Wow. Apple really seems to be churning out the updates lately.

yes they do. looks like i gotta install this also

ktlx
Sep 27, 2007, 05:51 PM
EFI is not a successor to BIOS. I don't understand why you want to keep pulling BIOS into this discussion when it has absolutely nothing to do with Macs. It is completely irrelevant.

Eidorian
Sep 27, 2007, 05:59 PM
EFI is not a successor to BIOS. I don't understand why you want to keep pulling BIOS into this discussion when it has absolutely nothing to do with Macs. It is completely irrelevant.What is EFI then and why does it emulate BIOS? :p

Peace
Sep 27, 2007, 06:01 PM
What is EFI then and why does it emulate BIOS? :p

EFI doesn't "emulate" BIOS.EFI has a BIOS module in it.There is a difference.

flopticalcube
Sep 27, 2007, 06:03 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extensible_Firmware_Interface

The Extensible Firmware Interface (EFI) is a specification that defines a software interface between an operating system and platform firmware. EFI is intended as a significantly improved replacement of the old legacy BIOS firmware interface historically used by all IBM PC compatible personal computers[1]. The EFI specification was originally developed by Intel, and is now managed by the Unified EFI Forum and is officially known as Unified EFI (UEFI).

Eidorian
Sep 27, 2007, 06:06 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extensible_Firmware_InterfaceI was wondering when someone was going to bring this up.

flopticalcube
Sep 27, 2007, 06:11 PM
I was wondering when someone was going to bring this up.

Despite its flaws, Wikipedia can be very useful.

RevToTheRedline
Sep 27, 2007, 06:23 PM
Where do I download this update from?

Does it update the Alu 24" iMac 2.8Ghz C2E?

Westside guy
Sep 27, 2007, 06:25 PM
I'm curious to see if it fixes my "once every 10-20 times I put the computer to sleep it doesn't quite make it..." issue. :confused:

yoavcs
Sep 27, 2007, 06:28 PM
EFI doesn't "emulate" BIOS.EFI has a BIOS module in it.There is a difference.

EFI is not a "successor" to BIOS.

EFI is Extensible Firmware Interface and can contain 20 different type of "modules" including BIOS.Basic Input/Output System.

The BIOS is on a chip.

The EFI module is also on a chip.

You really have no idea what you are talking about, do you? You are just regurgitating semi-understood stuff you once heard.

Both BIOS and EFI are firmware (software stored in hardware) which are executed upon system startup and do things like check to make sure the computer is OK, initialize the basic hardware needed to load the OS, actually load the OS, and then hand control over to it.

BIOS is the old, de-facto standard still used to this day on Wintel machines. Macs used to use a different firmware called Open Firmware on PPC machines.

Intel Macs use Intel's new spec for firmware called EFI. This spec was created by Intel to replace BIOS on Wintel machines and fixes many little irksome problems with the older BIOS. EFI was introduced before Intel Macs were even a twinkle in Jobs' eye.

Sadly no PC manufacturer used it till Apple came along with their Intel machines.

This is all low-level stuff and has nothing to do with the average user.

Jsimon9633
Sep 27, 2007, 06:42 PM
this update does not apply to SR mbps 15 inch? I just tried it and it said, this mbp does not need this patch

Maui
Sep 27, 2007, 06:49 PM
Just updated my Mac Pro. I followed the steps -- and it didn't work. After holding down the power button, the progress bar did come up on my screen. It finished, but the system did not reboot. It just sat there with nothing on the screen. I let it sit for about 15 minutes, then when I was sure the hard drives were silent I gulped and pressed the power button. It rebooted and came up no problem.

I'll start breathing again now.

Westside guy
Sep 27, 2007, 07:06 PM

It'll show up in your Software Update if it's applicable to your computer.

markw10
Sep 27, 2007, 07:10 PM
I tried to update the EFI on my 15" 2.3GHz Macbook pro. When I press shutdown it comes back saying "An unexpected error occurred (0). Your fimware can not be updated." Any idea how I can get it to install?

JPT
Sep 27, 2007, 07:14 PM
I tried to update the EFI on my 15" 2.3GHz Macbook pro. When I press shutdown it comes back saying "An unexpected error occurred (0). Your fimware can not be updated." Any idea how I can get it to install?

Same here, I searched Apples site but couldn't find anything :(

RevToTheRedline
Sep 27, 2007, 07:15 PM
It'll show up in your Software Update if it's applicable to your computer.

I notice in your sig that you shoot with a Nikon D70, very nice.. Macs and Nikons go great together, I'm using a D80 myself.

jbuccino
Sep 27, 2007, 07:17 PM
I get the same "An unexpected error occurred (0). Your fimware can not be updated." with my MBP.

The console log is:
2007-09-27 18:22:08.284 MacBook Pro EFI Firmware Update[436] MacBook Pro EFI Firmware Update version 1.4
Run the executable in the Contents/MacOS folder with '-h' option to learn about running remotely.
2007-09-27 18:22:08.284 MacBook Pro EFI Firmware Update[436] OS version is 10.4.10 build 8R2218.
2007-09-27 18:22:08.286 MacBook Pro EFI Firmware Update[436] No AppleEFINVRAM
2007-09-27 18:22:13.759 MacBook Pro EFI Firmware Update[436] GetRootAccess success
Sep 27 18:22:13 Joes-MacBook-Pro authexec: executing /usr/sbin/bless
EFI found at IODeviceTree:/efi
APM detected
No auxiliary booter partition required
Returning booter information dictionary:
<CFDictionary 0x3016e0 [0xa080b1c0]>{type = mutable, count = 3, capacity = 4, pairs = (
0 : <CFString 0x1862c [0xa080b1c0]>{contents = "Auxiliary Partitions"} = <CFArray 0x301fa0 [0xa080b1c0]>{type = immutable, count = 0, values = (
)}
1 : <CFString 0x1863c [0xa080b1c0]>{contents = "System Partitions"} = <CFArray 0x301fb0 [0xa080b1c0]>{type = immutable, count = 0, values = (
)}
3 : <CFString 0x1861c [0xa080b1c0]>{contents = "Data Partitions"} = <CFArray 0x301fe0 [0xa080b1c0]>{type = immutable, count = 1, values = (
0 : <CFString 0x301740 [0xa080b1c0]>{contents = "disk0s3"}
)}
)}
No appropriate ESP for /
Failed to determine auxiliary partition mountpoint for /
Error while writing firmware updater for EFI
2007-09-27 18:22:13.888 MacBook Pro EFI Firmware Update[436] pid 0x1ba, status 0x300
2007-09-27 18:22:13.888 MacBook Pro EFI Firmware Update[436] NORMAL EXIT 0x3
2007-09-27 18:22:13.888 MacBook Pro EFI Firmware Update[436] An error 0x3 was returned from /usr/sbin/bless.
2007-09-27 18:22:13.888 MacBook Pro EFI Firmware Update[436] bResult 0x0 Status 0x3 returned from CallAEWP bless
2007-09-27 18:22:13.888 MacBook Pro EFI Firmware Update[436] EFIUpdaterController::showError:3
2007-09-27 18:22:13.888 MacBook Pro EFI Firmware Update[436] CommonUpdaterController::showError:3
2007-09-27 18:22:17.114 MacBook Pro EFI Firmware Update[436] EFIUpdaterController::showError:21
2007-09-27 18:22:17.114 MacBook Pro EFI Firmware Update[436] CommonUpdaterController::showError:21
2007-09-27 18:22:17.114 MacBook Pro EFI Firmware Update[436] EFIUpdaterController::showError:1
2007-09-27 18:22:17.114 MacBook Pro EFI Firmware Update[436] CommonUpdaterController::showError:1

Any suggestions? I've tried restarting.

Thanks.

Maui
Sep 27, 2007, 07:18 PM

Did the update come from Software Update or did you download it manually?

JPT
Sep 27, 2007, 07:20 PM
Did the update come from Software Update or did you download it manually?

I know you weren't quoting me, but mine came with the software update. Same computer specs as him though.

villain
Sep 27, 2007, 07:23 PM

i get this error, but i'm using a white macbook, not a pro .. also downloaded it from software update

JPT
Sep 27, 2007, 07:33 PM
As a bit more info, my current Boot ROM is: MBP22.00A5.B01

It looks like mine is supposed to be upgraded to MBP22.00A5.B07

I am going to try repairing permissions. Maybe that's causing it? Update: Didn't work (of course :p)

markw10
Sep 27, 2007, 07:42 PM
Mine came from software update also.

Luap
Sep 27, 2007, 07:45 PM

Unfortunately, there are no updates for the alu iMacs. See here:
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303880

robrose20
Sep 27, 2007, 08:01 PM
I tried to install the update on my SR MBP and it said I didn't need it. I went to system profiler and my bootrom was not up to date, what gives?

MaliciousDesign
Sep 27, 2007, 08:04 PM
I tried to install the update on my SR MBP and it said I didn't need it. I went to system profiler and my bootrom was not up to date, what gives?

I am having the same issue...did you figure it out?

Maui
Sep 27, 2007, 08:05 PM
i get this error, but i'm using a white macbook, not a pro .. also downloaded it from software update

Dunno. On a prior EFI update, MacFixIt suggested this error could be a RAM problem (http://www.macfixit.com/article.php?story=20061211231704939), but it seems unlikely all of you would suddenly have a RAM problem.

I'd try all of the usual stuff -- make sure you are using root user, reset PRAM, delete the update and start over.

marioman38
Sep 27, 2007, 08:10 PM
Worked Great on my 17" C2D MBP

Boot Rom WAS: MBP21.00A5.B01

Boot Rom NOW: MBP21.00A5.B07

Hooray Apple ;)

Neblinio
Sep 27, 2007, 08:27 PM
I've just noticed a real change on my C2D MacBook!
(Don't know if it has been already posted, but...)

Before the EFI update:
If I had a USB mouse or flash drive connected to the MB and put it to sleep closing the lid, it always wake up whenever I plugged off the mouse or flash drive.
After the EFI update:
I plug off the USB mouse and my MB keeps asleep with its lid closed.

Good thing! now it's much better.

ro2nie
Sep 27, 2007, 08:29 PM
MacBook C2D 2.0Ghz: Updated EFI

iMac C2D 2.16Ghz: No EFI update available

iMac C2E 2.8Ghz: No EFI update available
:(

When I pressed the power button for a few seconds on my macbook, I heard a very loud beep from its speakers.

Anyway, I'm waiting for someone to say that Safari seems snappier.:D

majordude
Sep 27, 2007, 08:31 PM
Whew!

I just updated my 17" MBP (not SR)...

turnstylez18
Sep 27, 2007, 08:52 PM

Before the EFI update:
If I had a USB mouse or flash drive connected to the MB and put it to sleep closing the lid, it always wake up whenever I plugged off the mouse or flash drive.
After the EFI update:

doesnt do that for me....that sucks for me...i think its the reason why my macbook keeps making the superdrive noise when the lid is closed unless i remove the usb mouse

orthorex
Sep 27, 2007, 09:06 PM

MBP31.0070.B02

i have 2.2 MBP

Same here. I have MBP31.0070.B02 on a 2.4 MPB and it says I don't need the update.

caspartheghost
Sep 27, 2007, 09:12 PM
After reading comments that it felt 'snappier' before and after the update, I thought I'd run Geekbench 2 on my MacBook C2D (2Ghz with 2GB RAM) pre/ post to see whether there really was any improvement.

Both times I ran it on a clean boot, with no other apps running, and did the tests twice to make sure I wasn't getting random results.

Pre-update scores: 2665, 2672

Post update scores: 2617, 2659

So you could argue that it's actually slightly worse...

On a happier note, I put a Hitachi TravelStar 160GB drive in the MacBook two days ago, and am reveling in its space and speed!

marioman38
Sep 27, 2007, 09:20 PM
Same here. I have MBP31.0070.B02 on a 2.4 MPB and it says I don't need the update.

Is it a 17"? The update doesn't apply to the 2.4ghz 17" SR MBP.

b0ng0c0ng0
Sep 27, 2007, 09:22 PM
After reading comments that it felt 'snappier' before and after the update, I thought I'd run Geekbench 2 on my MacBook C2D (2Ghz with 2GB RAM) pre/ post to see whether there really was any improvement.

Both times I ran it on a clean boot, with no other apps running, and did the tests twice to make sure I wasn't getting random results.

On a happier note, I put a Hitachi TravelStar 160GB drive in the MacBook two days ago, and am reveling in its space and speed!

The difference in those numbers is hardly statistically significant. You would have to run the test say 5 or 10 times on a freshly rebooted system each time and average it out to see if there was a real difference...

flopticalcube
Sep 27, 2007, 09:25 PM

Given the wide spread of results, especially in the second test, I would guess they are all well within the margin of error so, while you could argue it's slightly worse, you could also argue that there is no measurable change.

caspartheghost
Sep 27, 2007, 09:28 PM
My god, there are some pedants on this forum. I did say 'could argue'. All I was really trying to do was find out, semi-formally, whether the system really was 'snappier' after the update - sorry that I have things to do beyond running Geekbench 20 times to make you happy!

b0ng0c0ng0
Sep 27, 2007, 09:31 PM
My god, there are some pedants on this forum. I did say 'could argue'. All I was really trying to do was find out, semi-formally, whether the system really was 'snappier' after the update - sorry that I have things to do beyond running Geekbench 20 times to make you happy!

I'm sorry you don't have the time to make us happy too. Oh well. :o

rosh325
Sep 27, 2007, 09:35 PM
any updates on the b2 bootrom in the 15" SR MBP and the fact that it should be B3?

Bosunsfate
Sep 27, 2007, 09:38 PM
Well, I'm installing and I hope this fixes an annoying issue.

I've noticed for quite some time that during idle time my hard drives stop. Then about two seconds later they start back up again.

I don't think this is a Firmware issue...something in my powersaving settings I think..:cool:

jesstech
Sep 27, 2007, 09:55 PM

Before the EFI update:
After the EFI update:

Argh, why didn't they fix this for the Santa Rosa MBPs? This annoys the crap out of me!

alansky
Sep 27, 2007, 09:57 PM
i never had any problems with my iMac Core 2, but maybe 4 times in the past year the CPU fan would suddenly speed up to 5000rpm (from it's normal 1200rpm) and its really loud... it never lasted long, maybe it took a minute to slowly spin down to it's normal state of 1200rpm... anyway, does anyone know why it has done this? when this happened i was never running any intensive apps, and once i wasn't running anything...

This has happened a few times to my 2.16GHz Core 2 Duo iMac in the eight months I've had it. Apple doesn't know what the cause might be, but i'll have it checked it out under warranty one of these days. In my case, putting the computer to sleep and waking it up again fixed the problem each time it happened.

Mr.Gadget
Sep 27, 2007, 10:07 PM
So, on my 2.33 C2D MBP with a Scorpio 250GB HDD and 3GB RAM, the EFI update downloads, then fails with "an unexpected error (0)".
Reboot, retry, same thing.
Some in posts above mention this may not apply to the 17" MBP?? Any other thoughts? Is it my non-stock HDD or RAM???
Boot ROM is currently MBP21.00A5.B01

majordude
Sep 27, 2007, 10:10 PM
Some in posts above mention this may not apply to the 17" MBP?? Any other thoughts? Is it my non-stock HDD or RAM???

I have non-stock HDD AND RAM (both upgraded) but it worked for me.

Mr.Gadget
Sep 27, 2007, 10:19 PM
I have non-stock HDD AND RAM (both upgraded) but it worked for me.

You know... I did a file level copy using Carbon Copy Cloner from a drive that DID have a Bootcamp partition but after the Carbon Copy did not... Now, I cannot install Bootcamp either... I think I need to start over here... Now I really suspect something is not right after the cloning. (Actually, it was not a clone it was a copy. A bit of a misnomer. CopycatX uses sector copying. I think I will try that one and see what happens.........

doowrehs
Sep 27, 2007, 10:22 PM
No problems here - MacBook 2.16 (but no noticeable changes, either!)

mikeymike88
Sep 27, 2007, 10:23 PM
For the SR MBP guys, apples website does not say that there is an update available.
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303880.
It says that the latest update is "MacBook Pro (2.4/2.2 GHz 15-inch) MBP31.0070.B02 (EFI 1.3)" which is what we already have (came out July 12th).

Maui
Sep 27, 2007, 10:25 PM
For the SR MBP guys, apples website does not say that there is an update available.
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303880.
It says that the latest update is "MacBook Pro (2.4/2.2 GHz 15-inch) MBP31.0070.B02 (EFI 1.3)" which is what we already have (came out July 12th).

That's why I asked if they were downloading the update manually or if it was appearing in Software Update. Seems odd that Software Update would offer an update that wasn't needed, but maybe that's the bug.

phytonix
Sep 27, 2007, 10:51 PM
Updated and nothing seem to have changed.
Maybe this update makes older iMac Core 2 Duo support 4GB RAM up from 3GB?

flopticalcube
Sep 27, 2007, 11:27 PM
Updated and nothing seem to have changed.
Maybe this update makes older iMac Core 2 Duo support 4GB RAM up from 3GB?

Can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. translation: firmware won't fix a hardware issue.

Lesser Evets
Sep 27, 2007, 11:29 PM
Fan fan fan fan!!

What is this occult preoccupation with the Mac tower fan?
Am i missing something there? I came off a G4 MDD this summer and it was like a jet chamber compared to the new Xeon tower. Sure, fan runs faster at startup, but is there some kind of intermittent fan speed problem I am not getting?

phytonix
Sep 27, 2007, 11:43 PM
Can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. translation: firmware won't fix a hardware issue.

I do not understand how can Apple hardware limit this?

flopticalcube
Sep 27, 2007, 11:46 PM

Hardware limit what? 4GB address space. 3.3GB for memory, 700MB for IO. Its in the design of the 945 chipset. You will find the same limitation in Windows and PCs using the same chipset.

pheonixash
Sep 27, 2007, 11:48 PM

It's the Intel chipset which can't address more than 3 GB, which is something a firmware update won't be able to fix, it's a hardware limit by design..

hopejr
Sep 28, 2007, 12:21 AM
Part of the Boot Camp compatibility is that now the BIOS extension to EFI can recognise key presses before the OS loads (i.e. pressing F8 before Windows starts now brings up the Windows startup menu, before this update, it didn't work, and now people will be able to boot from a Window setup CD without having to wipe their windows partition, because when you press a key at the prompt "Press a key to boot from the CD.....", it will actually respond). This is very good.

Sputnik35
Sep 28, 2007, 12:39 AM
This works for me...

Download the firmware manually @ http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/macbookefifirmwareupdate11.html

And follow the instructions as stated.

It worked for me. :)

freebooter
Sep 28, 2007, 01:07 AM
The update works well on my iMac 2.16 24" white.
It even cleaned the ball on 'mighty' mouse. :cool:

SiliconAddict
Sep 28, 2007, 01:24 AM
Once more unto the breach, dear friends....anytime I do a firmware update I swear it feels like I'm being shot at. The question is will that bad update hit me or not.

*Wipes the sweat from his brow*
Dodged a bullet there. Rebooted for a clean install. Ran the update. Rebooted. All went well. Is it just me or is bootup faster? I have my system set to verbose so I'm watching OS X do its stuff. I swear that bootup and pretty much everything being processed was faster.

JFreak
Sep 28, 2007, 01:32 AM
I've noticed for quite some time that during idle time my hard drives stop. Then about two seconds later they start back up again. I don't think this is a Firmware issue...something in my powersaving settings I think..:cool:

If this annoys you, download Cocktail which allows you to easily set the "put the hard disk(s) to sleep after" value. It could be anything between 1 minute to 1 hour, or "never" if you like it that way.

Setting that value to "never" is easiest by simply unchecking "put the hard disk(s) to sleep when possible" from the system preferences / energy saver settings. For some reason Apple has disabled the time setting, only letting the user specify whether one wants it or not.

Woochifer
Sep 28, 2007, 02:48 AM
Download and install on my iMac went smoothly. (How will the aluminum iMac owners ever get along without a rapidly blinking sleep light letting them know that the firmware update is underway and they can let go of the power switch? :cool:)

I notice that the EFI updater remains installed in the Utilities directory, and the info says that the file was created on August 14. Looks like the Leopard release is imminent.

tyr2
Sep 28, 2007, 02:56 AM
Applied fine on my Mac Pro, even from a RAID 1 boot device which was nice.

Edit: I was hoping it was gong to improve boot times with bootcamp into Windows. It hasn't, if anything it feels a bit slower. Placebo affect tho I expect.

Luca Boccaccini
Sep 28, 2007, 02:59 AM
Download and install on my iMac went smoothly. (How will the aluminum iMac owners ever get along without a rapidly blinking sleep light letting them know that the firmware update is underway and they can let go of the power switch? :cool:)

I notice that the EFI updater remains installed in the Utilities directory, and the info says that the file was created on August 14. Looks like the Leopard release is imminent.

They'll hold the power button pressed for 10 seconds.....?:cool:
Usually the sleep light starts blinking in just 3-4 secs.

daneoni
Sep 28, 2007, 03:06 AM
Am i the only one not able to install this update?....it says my iMac doesn't need it. 20" iMac AL btw

appie57
Sep 28, 2007, 03:35 AM
Installed all the Life, iWork and EFI upgrades on my 17" C2D MBP and all seems well. No time to notice differences yet, iPhoto seems snappier (not to mention Safari:D).

Model Name: MacBook Pro 17"
Model Identifier: MacBookPro2,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.33 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache (per processor): 4 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 667 MHz
Boot ROM Version: MBP21.00A5.B07

NEiMac
Sep 28, 2007, 04:08 AM
Am i the only one not able to install this update?....it says my iMac doesn't need it. 20" iMac AL btw

THere was no update EFI update for the aluminum iMacs. Is why.

infz
Sep 28, 2007, 04:15 AM

You've really gotta be careful when putting a Macbook or MBP to sleep. As soon as you close the lid, it starts dumping all your RAM to the HD, which means your HD is spinning like crazy. It is very sensitive during this time! ie. if you move/shake your macbook much, you might cause the HD to skip and instead of falling asleep, the machine will reboot.

This is probably what's happening, since it's fairly common occurance for macbook users like me who are constantly on-the-go. That is, I often close macbook, drop it in bag, go somewhere else. Also, the more RAM you have the longer it will take to dump to HD, I presume. I'm now in the habit of watching the macbook's light to make sure it's sleeping before I move it much after closing the lid.

Alternatively, you might grab/code some app to flip between "deep sleep" vs. a faster sleep that just powers down without dumping all your RAM.

Hope this helps...

andreasLA
Sep 28, 2007, 04:35 AM
After the update, my eSATA express card stopped working. I reinstalled the corresponding software and it works again. Not so good... :(

kwood
Sep 28, 2007, 05:42 AM
Dodged a bullet there. Rebooted for a clean install. Ran the update. Rebooted. All went well. Is it just me or is bootup faster? I have my system set to verbose so I'm watching OS X do its stuff. I swear that bootup and pretty much everything being processed was faster.

My start-up is lot faster. I timed it on my 2.0GHz C2D MacBook and my computer starts up 4 seconds quicker after the update and shuts down 3 seconds quicker too. I am pretty impressed.

dernhelm
Sep 28, 2007, 05:46 AM
Sign of the new Mac Pros to come tomorrow.

Right. Because it's important that I update my iMac in order for someone else to get a new MacPro...
:D

dernhelm
Sep 28, 2007, 05:53 AM
[QUOTE=appie57;4252350]Installed all the Life, iWork and EFI upgrades on my 17" C2D MBP and all seems well. No time to notice differences yet, iPhoto seems snappier (not to mention Safari:D).

I thought you were joking about iPhoto, but NOT. Holy cow - does app ever SCREAM now. The performance difference is totally apparent.

I wonder what an EFI update could do to speed up iPhoto?

Aha - I've also noticed that my external Firewire drive doesn't spin down and spin up as often as it used to. Maybe that's the reason - better external drive performance?

Willis
Sep 28, 2007, 05:54 AM
Mac Pro Updated fine...

Macbook... nope... Says it has encounted an error (0).

Ideas?

Willis
Sep 28, 2007, 05:57 AM

The Boot up on the Mac Pro was extremely quick. before it loaed the desktop and icons fairly slow... now, its there as soon as the login screen goes.

Just wish my macbook would update!!

Quiara
Sep 28, 2007, 06:01 AM
MacBook updated perfectly.

alFR
Sep 28, 2007, 06:59 AM
I just tried to do the update. My battery was very low before I plugged it in. I couldn't even get the update process to begin. I shut down, let it sit for a few seconds, held the power button down for a couple minutes and no flashing sleep light or an update screen. Nothing. Wtf.

You know that bit in the firmware updater instructions where it said "Your computer's power cord must be connected and plugged into a working power source"? I'd guess that's TF. :rolleyes:

nerveosu
Sep 28, 2007, 07:21 AM
Installed this update and os x works fine but when i go to boot into windows via bootcamp it takes a long while.

When I boot into windows it gets stuck for a couple of minutes on a flashing bar in the top left corner of my screen and with the rest of the screen black. Then after a while it takes me to a black (bios looking) menu asking me what operating system i want to boot into.. the only choice is vista home pro (the only other operating system on my machine). I click to select vista in a couple of minutes later windows will begin the start up process.

Bootcamp was working great right before the update.. it is the update that hosed things.

... hoping for a patch:)

tmoney468
Sep 28, 2007, 08:48 AM
Wow, I just had a scare here at work. I downloaded the update via Software Update and selected the option to Shut Down. It shut down and I held the power button down until the light on the front started blinking fast...then there was this loud beep that sounded like an alarm and it shut back down. I then just tried to boot up normally and it restarted once and then came back fine. The update didn't install correctly obviously.

Anyone ever have this happen to them? I think I'll wait until I'm home to try this again.

freebooter
Sep 28, 2007, 09:15 AM
Wow, I just had a scare here at work. I downloaded the update via Software Update and selected the option to Shut Down. It shut down and I held the power button down until the light on the front started blinking fast...then there was this loud beep that sounded like an alarm and it shut back down. I then just tried to boot up normally and it restarted once and then came back fine. The update didn't install correctly obviously.

Anyone ever have this happen to them? I think I'll wait until I'm home to try this again.

Dude, you might do well to be a little more careful about reading instructions. The window that popped up after you downloaded the update tells you to expect the loud tone.

kbleicher
Sep 28, 2007, 09:19 AM

Because it's not for the new Aluminum iMacs and those users are experiencing freeze problems. They hoped to see this resolved.

Bosunsfate
Sep 28, 2007, 09:32 AM
If this annoys you, download Cocktail which allows you to easily set the "put the hard disk(s) to sleep after" value. It could be anything between 1 minute to 1 hour, or "never" if you like it that way.

Setting that value to "never" is easiest by simply unchecking "put the hard disk(s) to sleep when possible" from the system preferences / energy saver settings. For some reason Apple has disabled the time setting, only letting the user specify whether one wants it or not.

Thanks for the recommendation. I haven't had a chance to test out if this firmware changed anything, but will know soon enough.

The annoying part is the restarting just immediately after it stopped, but I'll checkout this Cocktail app.

tmoney468
Sep 28, 2007, 09:42 AM
Dude, you might do well to be a little more careful about reading instructions. The window that popped up after you downloaded the update tells you to expect the loud tone.

Yes, I did see that yet after the tone, the screen just went black and I didn't see any progress bar about the firmware being loaded. The screen was just black, so I don't know what went wrong

ironring2006
Sep 28, 2007, 09:46 AM
I read the instructions carefully, and was expecting the loud tone, but it still scared the bejeezus out of me! I was all happy like, "Yay! Flashing li...BONNNNGGGGGG!"

B2O
Sep 28, 2007, 09:55 AM
Hopefully this will resolve the freezing/lockup issues that new iMac owners have been experiencing.

According to this Apple page (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303880), the firmware for the new iMacs hasn't been updated . . .

Roric
Sep 28, 2007, 10:14 AM
I read the instructions carefully, and was expecting the loud tone, but it still scared the bejeezus out of me! I was all happy like, "Yay! Flashing li...BONNNNGGGGGG!"

Last Spring, I updated a lab of 14 machines while a class went on in the room next door, and the connecting door was open. :)

I went around the room downloading the update and rebooting as each machine finished. It was quite funny when the professor in the room next door came in after the 8th "BONNNGGG!" in under a minute.

Gotta love them firmware updates.

cbrain
Sep 28, 2007, 10:23 AM
Oh no. Installing EFI updates always gets me worried that I'll damage my iMac.

T'hain Esh Kelch
Sep 28, 2007, 10:37 AM
Some might have had their machine bricked maybe?

Orng
Sep 28, 2007, 10:59 AM
"Fixes Fan Behaviour"

It's about time Apple did something to bring civility to user forums :cool:

Tonewheel
Sep 28, 2007, 11:04 AM
Rats.

Was hoping this firmware update might fix my "fan behavior". Whenever I turn on my 2 month old Mac Pro, the fans kick into high gear for about 5 seconds before the startup chime kicks in and the fans spin down to normal.

Other than this startup issue, the computer runs normally.

Anyone else experience this? Is it a reported glitch? Maybe a bad power supply?

tyr2
Sep 28, 2007, 11:43 AM
Rats.

Was hoping this firmware update might fix my "fan behavior". Whenever I turn on my 2 month old Mac Pro, the fans kick into high gear for about 5 seconds before the startup chime kicks in and the fans spin down to normal.

Have you got a ATI 1900 card in it. They're very noisy when your first power on until the fan management stuff kicks in. That's normal.

guzhogi
Sep 28, 2007, 12:13 PM
- Fixes "my screen perpetually thinks it's closed, and requires an external monitor, or risk falling asleep?" -- probably not

Fixed it for me. Or at least for now. I'll have to play around w/ it awhile to be absolutely sure.

ikir
Sep 28, 2007, 12:22 PM

Yup, it is really stupid.

Updated MacPro & MacBook, no probs.

ikir
Sep 28, 2007, 12:24 PM
Rats.

No it is the Radeon 1900XT, is is a powerfull but VERY NOISI gfx-card. If you play games, they spin very fast and make noise. Same when you startup your MacPro, it is no a bug.

Nvidia 7300 is very silent, it depends on what you want.

rhpenguin
Sep 28, 2007, 01:04 PM

There are those that just don't see the need to own an iMac. Like myself. Im quite satisfied with my Asus supplied updates.

vassillios
Sep 28, 2007, 01:09 PM
yowza am I nervous! I had to send my MBP in to applecare after the last firmware update...and it's out of warranty now. Would apple still cover it out of warranty if there is an issue?

thogs_cave
Sep 28, 2007, 01:59 PM

Actually, it's a replacement for, not a successor to. It's closer in reality to OpenFirmware, popular on workstations for many, many years. PPC macs used OF since the release of the PCI Power Macs.

Many of us were cheesed off at the switch, as OF is actually very versatile and fun.

Billy Boo Bob
Sep 28, 2007, 02:00 PM
Some might have had their machine bricked maybe?

I'm wondering about an iMac 17 here... Did the restart... Held button in... Got flashing light... Heard tone... Progress bar shows about 5% maybe and that's it... been 1/2 hour now.

Dunno what a forced restart might do if it's part way through the update.

[Edit]: I re-ran it and it seems to be taking ok. Unplugged external devices this time. Guess that was the problem. Dunno.

thogs_cave
Sep 28, 2007, 02:04 PM
I seem to be having this problem, which is the first time I've ever had a FW update issue. My 2.16 C2D MacBook is popping up that error when I try to shut down for the update. I've tried all the usual: PRAM zap, permissions, swapping out RAM, etc. No such luck.

I started a thread on Apple's support forum:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1154109

majordude
Sep 28, 2007, 02:59 PM
My 2.16 C2D MacBook is popping up that error when I try to shut down for the update.

Just hold down the power button and it will turn off.

I downloaded the patch but didn't read the instructions and just rebooted. The patch popped up again right after the reboot.

I turned it off and help the start button for something like 15 seconds and it beeped and worked.

MrMacMan
Sep 28, 2007, 04:53 PM

a) It's 'Captain'.
b) He was answering someone else's question.
c) Since when was it official policy to be rude?
d) EFI is not 'the successor' to BIOS, many consider it as being an improvement and the fact that it can have legacy capability with supporting BIOS, but it's not that simple.

(continues reading thread)
Well this issue was covered quite well by others before me

Never the less, the problems seem to be happening mostly to the MBP C2D 2.16/2.33's?

Oh, also some MacBooks...
That's the impression i'm getting from some of the posters...

edit: apparently someone has found the root of the problem, from applecare forums:

A possible solution (or at least a reason) appears in this thread:

http://forums.macresource.com/read/1/360674

As celliot's post notes:

I did some checking. It appears to be a disk format problem. For those who installed a new disk or reformatted the old. Notice that we get the error message when the utility wants to restart.

Go to disk util. Click on the drive name, then go to the partitions tab. If you then click on options you will see something interesting. three options:

- GUID partition table- use the disk to start up an Intel based Macintosh computer

- Apple Partition Map- use the disk to start up a Power PC based Macintosh computer or to use the disk as a non-startup disk with any Mac

- Master boot record- use the disk to start up DOS. . . . . . .

Anyway, it appears that the way the disk was formatted could impact the disk startup and that might be the problem we are having?

vassillios
Sep 28, 2007, 04:58 PM
Well, it appears that Core Duo MBP's (15 inch) don't need this...at least mine didn't. Whewww!!

tmoney468
Sep 28, 2007, 06:28 PM
This is a little bit off-topic but it relates to the SMC update http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303880. My version is 1.14f5 and the latest version on there is 1.5f10, but when I try to update it, it says the latest version is already installed. My version of the MBP is the 17" 2.33Ghz version from December 2006. Thanks!

Bill Gates
Sep 28, 2007, 06:53 PM
This is a little bit off-topic but it relates to the SMC update http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303880. My version is 1.14f5 and the latest version on there is 1.5f10, but when I try to update it, it says the latest version is already installed. My version of the MBP is the 17" 2.33Ghz version from December 2006. Thanks!
Actually it doesn't even list the latest version for yours. It just says "-" where it normally would. Read more closely.

majordude
Sep 28, 2007, 06:55 PM
My version is 1.14f5 and the latest version on there is 1.5f10, but when I try to update it, it says the latest version is already installed. My version of the MBP is the 17" 2.33Ghz version from December 2006. Thanks!

Your's is the MacBook Pro (Core 2 Duo 17-inch) not the standard. No updates are needed.

tmoney468
Sep 28, 2007, 06:58 PM
Thanks guys, I'm must not be in the smartest mood tonight :)

kinchee87
Sep 28, 2007, 07:19 PM
I got the "unexpected error ocurred (0)" message as well but after a bit of thinking I realised what was causing it (for me anyway). I remembered deleting the 200mb EFI partition when I installed Windows Vista. Obviously this isn't good for the EFI firmware updater as it would need this partition. My first go at rectifying this was to restore the deleted partition but it seemed risky having to use fdisk.

I then found a support page on Apple: Firmware update for Intel-based Mac does not install with non-GUID partition scheme (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303609)
Using the first solution, I was able to update my EFI by starting up with a properly formated Mac OS X install from an external drive!

JPT
Sep 28, 2007, 08:24 PM
I got the "unexpected error ocurred (0)" message as well but after a bit of thinking I realised what was causing it (for me anyway). I remembered deleting the 200mb EFI partition when I installed Windows Vista. Obviously this isn't good for the EFI firmware updater as it would need this partition. My first go at rectifying this was to restore the deleted partition but it seemed risky having to use fdisk.

I then found a support page on Apple: Firmware update for Intel-based Mac does not install with non-GUID partition scheme (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303609)
Using the first solution, I was able to update my EFI by starting up with a properly formated Mac OS X install from an external drive!

Mine is the GUID partition scheme thing. <.<

jbuccino
Sep 28, 2007, 08:30 PM
The GUID partition was my issue too. I did a mirror back up, repartitioned and restored and the firmware update installed fine. I don't know how I ever got the old style partition as I have not changed the disk since buying my 17" MBP 2.33 last November.

LastZion
Sep 28, 2007, 09:09 PM
I feel like my fans are way more active now. They were active before, but since the update I have noticed them a lot more. I never really felt that my computer was running hot but they are definitely more active. ANyone else notice this?

Westside guy
Sep 28, 2007, 10:19 PM
I feel like my fans are way more active now. They were active before, but since the update I have noticed them a lot more. I never really felt that my computer was running hot but they are definitely more active. ANyone else notice this?

I have the exact same laptop as you, and no - I haven't noticed any difference in fan behavior. Given how loud they tend to be, I am pretty sure I'd notice if they were coming on more often or running harder.

Of course this is only since yesterday; but it sounds like you're seeing a dramatic, very obvious, change in behavior - so I'm sure I'd notice that.

ffakr
Sep 29, 2007, 12:38 AM
The EFI update fixed the battery issue I've had. My Battery life declined to less than one hour after the previous battery update (I got the update while beta testing 10.5 at WWDC).
I know of at least one other person with the same problem caused by the battery update downloaded in 10.4.

I started up well over an hour ago on the battery tonight after applying the EFI update this afternoon.
The Battery meter went down to 65% right away so I assumed the EFI update didn't fix the battery issue. Since then, I've only lost 19% more in about an hour.
My battery is back. WooHoo!!

ffakr

SiliconAddict
Sep 29, 2007, 01:49 AM
I stand corrected. Bad things happened when I shut down this evening to reboot into Windows. It killed the GUI of OS X but I was left with a command line just sitting there. Handed it to a friend who knows more about X then I do and said see! This is the crap I have to deal with because OS X hates me. (Seriously I never had this many problems in Windows.) He didn't believe me that I've had all these weird problems. :( Not sure what he did to reboot the system (Prob a kill command or something.) but after a reboot everything is working fine again. I've never had this problem until the update.

LastZion
Sep 29, 2007, 03:22 AM
I have the exact same laptop as you, and no - I haven't noticed any difference in fan behavior. Given how loud they tend to be, I am pretty sure I'd notice if they were coming on more often or running harder.

Of course this is only since yesterday; but it sounds like you're seeing a dramatic, very obvious, change in behavior - so I'm sure I'd notice that.

Ya I was never really conscious of them before, I mean if I had the comp flat on the bed where there was no air getting to the vents then sure they would come on, but now they seem more active. Sitting here now not doing much, I just finished an intense game of bejeweled (not full screen) and they are both running at 6000rpm according to iStat. I'll keep an eye on it, thanks for your reply

quadrakid
Sep 29, 2007, 03:54 AM
I updated my macbook it went smoothly but ever since my computer has a shocking delay on everything.:mad: is it possible to revert?

4np
Sep 29, 2007, 05:21 AM

I also had that; but that was probably because I downloaded 1.3 linked elsewhere and that was the EFI update of july 12 2007 and you do not need that one ;). These are the proper links and as you can see MBP owners require the 1.4 EFI update. These were all posted on sep 27th 2007:

iMac EFI Firmware Update 1.2 (http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/imacefifirmwareupdate12.html)
This update improves the performance and reliability of Intel Core 2 Duo processors and fixes issues with Boot Camp for iMac computers.
09/27/2007 3.9MB

Mac Pro EFI Firmware Update 1.2 (http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/macproefifirmwareupdate12.html)
This EFI Firmware Update fixes several fan behavior and Boot Camp issues on Mac Pro computers.
09/27/2007 2.8MB

MacBook EFI Firmware Update 1.1 (http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/macbookefifirmwareupdate11.html)
This update improves the performance and reliability of Intel Core 2 Duo processors and fixes issues with Boot Camp for MacBook computers.
09/27/2007 1.7MB

MacBook Pro EFI Firmware Update 1.4 (http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/macbookproefifirmwareupdate14.html)
This update improves the performance and reliability of Intel Core 2 Duo processors and fixes issues with Boot Camp for MacBook Pro computers.
09/27/2007 2.8MB

About MacBook Pro EFI Firmware Update 1.4
This update improves the performance and reliability of Intel Core 2 Duo processors and fixes issues with Boot Camp for MacBook Pro computers.

After the firmware is successfully applied to your computer, your BootROM Version will be one of the following:
MBP21.00A5.B07
MBP22.00A5.B07

hmmm.. 1.4 also says 'this computer does not need this update' I have the following boot rom version:
Boot ROM Version: MBP31.0070.B02
It seems like EFI update 1.3 was the last update for SR MBP's and we don't need these updates...

4np
Sep 29, 2007, 05:26 AM
is it possible to revert?

Yes (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303469)

G-Force
Sep 29, 2007, 06:32 AM
Yes (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303469)
Note: This CD cannot be used to return an Intel-based Macintosh computer's firmware to a previous version if a successful update has already been performed.
So that won't work I think, but I'm not sure.

Ben Logan
Sep 29, 2007, 07:41 AM
Safari and Microsoft Word have each crashed once on my white iMac Core 2 Duo after the firmware update. Never had a crash with Word with old firmware (believe it or not). Safari crashed maybe once with old firmware. So far I'm not impressed.

paropaco
Sep 29, 2007, 10:18 AM
It may be an illusion, but it seems to me that the CPUs in
my Mac Pro consume slightly less power when idle
(as reporter by Hardware Monitor). Anyone else notice this?

thogs_cave
Sep 29, 2007, 12:21 PM
Problem solved, it was the GUID partion issue. I CCC'd my disk to an external, repartitioned, CCC'd it back, and it worked.

However, I got an error during the update where it wanted me to locate "System Events". I could not find an executable with that name, so I just hit cancel a few times and it still worked.

Checked, and my firmware is at the right revision now.

rohitp
Sep 29, 2007, 04:37 PM
Update, including firmware, went fine. No problems. :)

smitty078
Sep 29, 2007, 06:24 PM
Edit: see post below

smitty078
Sep 29, 2007, 06:54 PM
I also had that; but that was probably because I downloaded 1.3 linked elsewhere and that was the EFI update of july 12 2007 and you do not need that one ;). These are the proper links and as you can see MBP owners require the 1.4 EFI update. These were all posted on sep 27th 2007:

MacBook Pro EFI Firmware Update 1.4 (http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/macbookproefifirmwareupdate14.html)
09/27/2007 2.8MB

This link seems legit and has a newer update version (1.4) than what is on the other page (1.3) and what is supposedly on my MBP now. What is odd though is that update 1.4 has an earlier version number than the one listed for 1.3 (MBP21.00A5.B07 in 1.4 vs. MBP31.0070.B02 in 1.3). Both updates say that my MBP does not need them.

Edit: Discovered that the 1.4 update is for Pre-SantaRosa MBP's, the newest for SR MBP's is still 1.3. That means that my MBP already came with the newest and does not need any firmware update. Glad to clear this up.

Genghis Khan
Sep 29, 2007, 07:33 PM
Something interesting...

my iMac now shuts down properly, whereas before it took ages...it also sleep better

Saz
Sep 29, 2007, 09:03 PM
my macbook pro now needs the charger plugged in at all times.. otherwise it just shuts down... :confused:

GlassDanse05
Sep 29, 2007, 09:44 PM
I archived and installed back to 10.4.9 because I was having so many airport problems with 10.4.10, this EFI update requires 10.4.10, so have those airport issues been resolved with any other updates?

CJD2112
Sep 30, 2007, 02:07 AM
Huge improvements overall. I noticed booting into Tiger and/or Leopard is half the time, and shutting down/restarting doesn't hang in the slightest. My Mac Pro seems quieter as well :cool:.

Macinposh
Sep 30, 2007, 02:47 AM
Anyone upgraded their MP with RAIDs?

Run to any problems,apart from the usual "you cant update a raid system"?

Samwise592
Sep 30, 2007, 03:37 AM
i just thought about this... since this update deals with a hardware component, and requires 10.4.10... what happens if i reformat with my original disc (10.4.8)... and try to boot?

arjanscholl
Sep 30, 2007, 06:22 AM
i just thought about this... since this update deals with a hardware component, and requires 10.4.10... what happens if i reformat with my original disc (10.4.8)... and try to boot?

It only requires 10.4.10 to install the firmware update, not to use your machine.
It would be quite stupid if Apple didn't think of this right?

arjanscholl
Sep 30, 2007, 07:01 AM
I archived and installed back to 10.4.9 because I was having so many airport problems with 10.4.10, this EFI update requires 10.4.10, so have those airport issues been resolved with any other updates?

Actually, thost airport issues were addressed quite a while ago.
As you can see here: http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/airportextremeupdate2007004.html

tomacintosh
Sep 30, 2007, 07:11 AM
Has anyone actually noticed it say the EFI update is for late 2006 iMac models only? So the new Alu iMacs will not need this update!

Willis
Sep 30, 2007, 11:07 AM
After reading around, its because I upgraded my HDD. And its effectively, in the wrong format.

I'm hoping Apple will do a fix before I have to play around for a few hours =/

Steflinsky
Sep 30, 2007, 02:46 PM
Hello evryone

I have a MacBookPro 2,33ghz and since i've got Update It, all the screen was "solidified" ... but not the mouse.
There is a link in between the update et the big crash?

Thanks

Bonjour tout le monde.

J'ai un MacBookPro 2,33ghz et depuis que je les mis a jour il est rester complétement bloqué a l'affichage.. mais la souris marché encore
Y'a-t-il un rapport entre la mise jour est ce symptome...?

Merki (sauvont le soldat mac;)

Steflinsky
Sep 30, 2007, 02:51 PM
Hello evryone

I have a MacBookPro 2,33ghz and since i've got Update It, all the screen was "solidified" ... but not the mouse.
There is a link in between the update et the big crash?

Thanks

Bonjour tout le monde.

J'ai un MacBookPro 2,33ghz et depuis que je les mis a jour il est rester complétement bloqué a l'affichage.. mais la souris marché encore
Y'a-t-il un rapport entre la mise jour est ce symptome...?

Merki (sauvont le soldat mac;)

And the battery was never full... like me ;)

La batterie ne se charge plus a 100%

CRASH

Hendilemos
Sep 30, 2007, 03:19 PM
My girlfriend tried to update the firmware and something got messed. I know she did something wrong: when the sleep light started blinking she didn't left the button, she maintained it held.

Now the screen doesn't even turns on, the DVD slot keeps cracking, making a noise and we can only turn it off holding the power button a few seconds. The same thing happens every time we try to turn it on.

She has Tiger installed and Windows XP via Bootcamp.

Any suggestions guys ? Please, we are in Brazil and it's very expensive to take it to some repair.

:confused:

Bill Gates
Sep 30, 2007, 05:49 PM
My girlfriend tried to update the firmware and something got messed. I know she did something wrong: when the sleep light started blinking she didn't left the button, she maintained it held.

Now the screen doesn't even turns on, the DVD slot keeps cracking, making a noise and we can only turn it off holding the power button a few seconds. The same thing happens every time we try to turn it on.

She has Tiger installed and Windows XP via Bootcamp.

Any suggestions guys ? Please, we are in Brazil and it's very expensive to take it to some repair.

:confused:
http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/firmwarerestorationcd14.html

Hendilemos
Sep 30, 2007, 06:42 PM
My only problem now is that I've got the Repair CD 1 stuck into the drive. I thought we could solve the problem using this disc.

Thanks a lot Bill ! You saved my life !

(I've never thought I would say that!) :)

skyhawkmatthew
Oct 1, 2007, 05:43 AM
After the firmware update on my 2.0 MB, it seems to run a bit warmer when on AC power and about 3-5ºC cooler on batteries. On one particular site, Safari seems to hang when clicking links now though. :confused:

m1ss1ontomars
Oct 1, 2007, 11:53 AM
Does this fix the USB HD problems people had, where it would not read, or did but freeze the system until you yank out the USB HD.

I don't think this is related. If I'm not mistaken, this is occurring because the USB HD can't draw enough power from the USB port(s) it's attached to to spin up again after being spun-down by Mac OS X.

BTW, the original MacBook is not getting any updates today. The MacBook EFI firmware update is for Core 2 MacBooks.

cdarlington1
Oct 1, 2007, 12:18 PM
just bought a new imac a couple of weeks ago and the firewire ports were not working. they took it back, sent me another and the firewire ports on that one were also not working. called apple and they said it was a known problem and a firmware update would be coming out soon to fix it. this firmware upadate wasn't even for my imac or at least it's not showing up in software update. anyone else have any issues with the firewire ports? can't seem to get a straight answer out of apple as to when this will be fixed. i'm an editor and without the firewire ports it's a pretty useless machine at the moment...

Boxcar Edit
Oct 1, 2007, 09:20 PM
Actually, thost airport issues were addressed quite a while ago.
As you can see here: http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/airportextremeupdate2007004.html

The 2007-004 wireless update seems to have helped a few people and messed things up worse for many (e.g. before the update problems only occurred while using wireless and battery power, after update things worked for a few days for people but then worsened to frequent lost connections even when plugged in to AC).

To my knowledge, this issue has not yet been fixed (unless the firmware update has done it). I've personally found that having e-mail poll my server every minute seems to help keep things awake and connected, but I'm looking forward to seeing 4 bars consistently when near my router, as was the case before 10.4.10.

There is a thread on this topic, 10.4.10 wireless issues, if anyone wishes to read it or contribute:
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=4157226

Steflinsky
Oct 2, 2007, 03:37 AM
Cette nuit il c'est mis en veille mais la touche maj du clavier et rester allume et quand je les branche j ai eu une super barre de progression et la batterie tiens a peine 1/2 heure....

Genial

furyoo
Oct 2, 2007, 12:36 PM
I charge my Samsung phone using the USB port, and after updating the firmware, I am unable to boot into OS X without first unplugging the device. Otherwise, I will be met with a blank grey screen and the fans will eventually spin up to max rpm. I've waited ten minutes and nothing happens on that screen. I'd have to switch my macbook off (instantaneous), unplug the phone, and then boot into OS X.

I'm not sure what has happened, but I suggest exercising caution.