Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Original poster
The BBC is going to open up it's archives and put all it's material online. That's printed, audio, and video material all online.

What's the price for this service? FREE!!!

Yes, that's right it's all going to be free as long as it's not being used for commercial venture.

There are a bunch of Dr. Who episodes I can't wait to rewatch and burn to DVD along with Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy and Black Adder and Monty Python and....... Oh, hell the list goes on and on.

Can you tell I'm excited!!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressreleases/stories/2003/08_august/24/dyke_dunn_lecture.shtml

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Yeah, they don't really mention where, when or how its going to be available. But this will be huge and wonder if any other big media companies will follow....

I'd love to watch a little python on my machine - I just hope the stream is halfway decent, and not too degraded from compression. That and the fact that they'll probably make it available in WMV or Real Player format - blech!

D

themadchemist

macrumors 68030
Jan 31, 2003
Chi Town
excellent! free! legal! monty python!

who could ask for more?

edit: I could ask for more...I wish it were going to be in QT. From the looks of the BBC's current web offerings, this is going to be a REALPLAYER wonderland, which REALly sucks.

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
Originally posted by MacBandit
We should make a pole and send it to the BBC and to Apple asking them to make there media files in Quicktime. Wouldn't that be good advertising for Apple?

You're gonna make a large round stick and mail it to the BBC and Apple with writing on it asking for quicktime files? And expect them to listen to you? :D :p ;)

(Just kidding, I know what you meant!)

themadchemist

macrumors 68030
Jan 31, 2003
Chi Town
Originally posted by MacBandit
We should make a pole and send it to the BBC and to Apple asking them to make there media files in Quicktime. Wouldn't that be good advertising for Apple?

you're absolutely right...I probably won't even go to the site if it's not in QT format.

Or better than a poll, a petition!

although (sorry, I waver a lot) with a poll, you could say,

"100% of the 15,000 people surveyed would prefer QT."

Oh wait, I guess I forgot to mention that they all use macs...No use to bother about that now. ;)

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Original poster
Originally posted by themadchemist
you're absolutely right...I probably won't even go to the site if it's not in QT format.

Or better than a poll, a petition!

although (sorry, I waver a lot) with a poll, you could say,

"100% of the 15,000 people surveyed would prefer QT."

Oh wait, I guess I forgot to mention that they all use macs...No use to bother about that now. ;)

Yeah, petition that's the word uh yeah, I knew it all along.

So who knows how to start this sort of petition?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.