Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wfuggle

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 20, 2004
Birmingham, UK
September 19

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1139814&tstart=645

"Really. And there are no good screens. They are all the same, and this is an intensely subjective conversation now chiefly fueled by emotion. The problem is the curve that the video driver is delivering to the screen. This is a SOFTWARE FIX. I have simulated a fix for any problem photo in Photoshop. There isn't one that I can't make good using the same algorithm in Photoshop. It will be the same for video."

Got a lot of people shouting him down but he was right about it after all :)

davidjearly

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2006
Glasgow, Scotland
September 19

"Really. And there are no good screens. They are all the same, and this is an intensely subjective conversation now chiefly fueled by emotion. The problem is the curve that the video driver is delivering to the screen. This is a SOFTWARE FIX. I have simulated a fix for any problem photo in Photoshop. There isn't one that I can't make good using the same algorithm in Photoshop. It will be the same for video."

I also said the same thing and was shot down.

David

wakerider017

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2006
US of A
September 19

Lol, that means nothing... He really didn't have any factual info to base his hypothesis. Basically it was just a guess.

Just because someone wins the lottery doesn't mean they "knew" the numbers... It just means they got lucky.

We all get lucky every once and a while.

Cloudane

macrumors 68000
Aug 6, 2007
Sweet Apple Acres
Eh? How was he right?

One of the last posts in that thread:
SO much for your theory: Apple just admitted that some screens are defective.

Did I miss something?

Edit: Sorry, just seen the news now. Interesting. But I note the word "alleviate" rather than "eliminate"........

Genghis Khan

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
wakerider017 said:
Lol, that means nothing... He really didn't have any factual info to base his hypothesis. Basically it was just a guess.

Just because someone wins the lottery doesn't mean they "knew" the numbers... It just means they got lucky.

We all get lucky every once and a while.

lucky would've been if he'd said it was a software fix

as he explained what the problem was and how to fix it (or at least a plausible explanation)...he was right, not lucky:apple:

Cloudane

macrumors 68000
Aug 6, 2007
Sweet Apple Acres
as he explained what the problem was and how to fix it (or at least a plausible explanation)...he was right, not lucky:apple:

My theory sits somewhere in the middle. I think he was right about the *workaround* which I think is what this patch is (saves Apple a lot of money at least!), but not the cause of the problem.

There was a brilliant explanation from an actual LCD engineer in the Apple forums, explaining how it was probably a defective reflective coating within the display. Maybe I'm getting cynical with age, but I'd guess that the hardware fault is still there but it's being compensated for through software (which can detect which the bad screens are through serial numbers or whatever). As long as the end result is exactly the same, I guess it doesn't matter.

California King

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2007
Is it true that if you already have no neg black effect to start with (ie a week 38) the firmware makes it worse? (too bright, blacks are now greys) or is that wrong? I'm probably getting a week 38+ from target and I don't know if I should install the update.

uburoibob

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2002
Eh? How was he right?

One of the last posts in that thread:

Did I miss something?

Edit: Sorry, just seen the news now. Interesting. But I note the word "alleviate" rather than "eliminate"........

You quote was incorrect - Apple never admited there were bad screens, they admitted - via the Walt Mossberg review - that some early ones had issues and they were working on a fix.

It's amazing how gang mentality and a seeming HUGE desire for this to be a hardware problem creates SO MANY MISNOMERS.

It was clear that this was fixable in firm/software.

Bob:rolleyes:

then how do you explain the people that still have negative screens after the update, or how my week 36 and my 38 had the same EXACT firmware yet the week 38 shows almost no signs of black negatives?

Sigh...

I dunno about what people are seeing after the update, or even if their firmware is actually installed. Just can't know without seeing them. In the meantime, seems that the vast majority are seeing it fixed - completely.

Even if these were screens that were prone to showing things darker, and later ones weren't, firmware can know the difference in hardware and prescribe a fix to those that require it.

Bob

parrotheadmjb

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2007
You quote was incorrect - Apple never admited there were bad screens, they admitted - via the Walt Mossberg review - that some early ones had issues and they were working on a fix.

It's amazing how gang mentality and a seeming HUGE desire for this to be a hardware problem creates SO MANY MISNOMERS.

It was clear that this was fixable in firm/software.

Bob:rolleyes:

"Also, some early iPod Touch units have had defective screens"

defective = bad

and all you could do is "sigh" at my questions

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
whatever you say, I still feel safer with a new, out of box, good device, rather than a update fixed one.

just ask yourself.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
Whatever you feel best about. Just have to ask yourself if your decision is based on the amazing amount of misinformation presented in these threads...

Bob
indeed, unfortunately apple made no effort, as of now, to tell the truth. I would rather a new device, than a one with 50% of chance being a soft fixed defect.

wakerider017

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2006
US of A
lucky would've been if he'd said it was a software fix

Who said his "solution" is correct? We have NO IDEA what apple did to remedy the problem...

uburoibob

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2002
Who said his "solution" is correct? We have NO IDEA what apple did to remedy the problem...

Why do we NEED to??? Would you understand if they posted the changed firmware in hex? GEEZ! All I did was illustrate that it was possible to display a perfect image on any screen made in the first two weeks. That's all. The simple LOGIC was that if the screen was CAPABLE of displaying a perfect image, then all that was required was to tweak the screen's settings. DIG? It really isn't rocket science, people. You all have perfectly fine iPod touches. And now they all look the same.

Just outta curiosity, what exactly did the cable repairman do the last time he fixed a problem for you? Replace your cable line, or put an amp/filter in place to make your cable work right. Or whatever service you care to put here.

Bottom line still - firmware fixes screen problem.

End of story.

Bob

wakerider017

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2006
US of A
Why do we NEED to??? Would you understand if they posted the changed firmware in hex? GEEZ! All I did was illustrate that it was possible to display a perfect image on any screen made in the first two weeks. That's all. The simple LOGIC was that if the screen was CAPABLE of displaying a perfect image, then all that was required was to tweak the screen's settings. DIG? It really isn't rocket science, people. You all have perfectly fine iPod touches. And now they all look the same.

Just outta curiosity, what exactly did the cable repairman do the last time he fixed a problem for you? Replace your cable line, or put an amp/filter in place to make your cable work right. Or whatever service you care to put here.

Bottom line still - firmware fixes screen problem.

End of story.

Bob

Lol, I think you need to take a chill pill Bob.

All I was saying that there was a million people saying, this and that was wrong with the screen.

No big deal that this one person said it was firmware; A million other people had already said the same thing.

RedDragon870503

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2006
I have a week 37. Before the update it was very noticeable. Now, less so. I have and have had an appt. with a genius tomorrow. I am going to ask him to display the same test image I have on my iPod Touch (a contrast test which shows a negative even still) on his iPhone. If it does not look the exact same, I will ask for an exchange.

Why the comparison between an iPhone and an ipod Touch?

Steve Jobs said they were the exact same screen on the keynote to release the touch; why should I expect less?

--Wolf--

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2007
Chch, New Zealand
^ Because you paid less.

Seriously, if you want it to be an iPhone, buy an iPhone. Otherwise, be grateful you got a (potential when hacked, pda) touch screen iPod for much cheaper than a iPhone.

Rapmastac1

macrumors 65816
Aug 5, 2006
In the Depths of the SLC!
Chill - Seriously, Chill!

I don't see why everyone is making this such a big deal, seriously. If you think it's that and I think it's this, then ok, good for you!

I honestly think it is a hardware problem becuase A. I have the same firmwares and yet it is still better than my wk 37.
B. This software update only allieviates the problem, as you can see it's till there, IE it is just counter balancing for the negative screen. C. If it was a software issue, how did it get so far out there before actually being fixed... Everyone all along said they just need to adjust the contrast (even I did) and guess what, that update, yeah, it pretty much does that, but it doesn't FIX the problem, which is a hardware issue.

I would rather have a week 38 than a half working (screen wise) week 37, why would I settle for less, heck, even if the box looks newer then i want it, cuz that is a week's salary for me.

The comparison with the cable line is a good one, but I don't really see the STRONG connection, as the cable line doesn't really effect overall performance, give or take some. The screen is what you go through the device at all times, if the screen had issues, then what other issues could there be? Was it the graphics chip, was it the AR coating, or was it something deeper? No body knows, and that is the point. Now if you were talking about a monitor and it had banding issues and they put a harmonic balancer (that thing that gets rid of static from ground connections) yeah that will do but it wont' FIX the problem, I would honestly have it FIXED than have it comprimised. That is just my opinion.

But honestly, nobody knows, and it's no one's place to know anyway, think about it, Apple has us in a mystery story and we are chewing each others heads off, what are we going to accomplish by truly finding out what happens? .... We just need to chill and keep this clean! Come on, honestly, what are you, a bunch of six and ten year olds? Or maybe? ;)

RedDragon870503

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2006
^ Because you paid less.

Seriously, if you want it to be an iPhone, buy an iPhone. Otherwise, be grateful you got a (potential when hacked, pda) touch screen iPod for much cheaper than a iPhone.

"Best video of any portable device out there; same as the iPhone"

- Steve Jobs

Should I not expect this because the iPod Touch happens to be a less expensive product.

That, my friend, makes no sense...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.