Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Magicite

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2002
Twin Cities
Whoa . . .

That was just too fast.

"Not Found
The requested URL /comments.php was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request. "

And this was about 4 minutes after this story was posted . . .

orion123

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2003
Boston
I'm thinking 10.2.7 will be out by Apple Expo Paris at the absolute latest (likely earlier) and Panther will be out by the end of October. We will learn Panther's ship date at Paris

AppleMatt

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2003
UK
It's hard to remember because I've been using Panther for so long, but a couple of things I've noticed with 10.2.7;

- You can't resize windows so they fall behind/below the dock.
- Sleep doesn't have "..." after it in the Apple menu.

I know these may have been in previous 10.2.x builds, but I didn't notice them, so they might not have been.

AppleMatt

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
Not sure what this could mean, but let it come. Perhaps since it is rumored to has USB 2.0 support and a few other technology updates, it might signal the mass update of Apple products with USB 2.0 and such (like PowerBook/iMac updates)

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
Originally posted by AppleMatt

- Sleep doesn't have "..." after it in the Apple menu.

I know these may have been in previous 10.2.x builds, but I didn't notice them, so they might not have been.

AppleMatt

I don't have an ... (ellipsis?) after my sleep in 10.2.6.

Mudbug

Administrator emeritus
Jun 28, 2002
North Central Colorado
question some of us noticed: why would you need to downgrade your current copy of 10.2.7 6Rxx in order to install this upgrade? Just seems odd...

If anyone could elaborate, i'd appreciate it

MrMacMan

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2001
1 Block away from NYC.
Drat!

Ech, now that I am a build behind.

I haven't noticed anything to specacular, still have some bugs and the screen effects take longer to load, instead of 1-2 seconds it is like 5-6... :(

AppleMatt

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2003
UK
Originally posted by Mudbug
question some of us noticed: why would you need to downgrade your current copy of 10.2.7 6Rxx in order to install this upgrade? Just seems odd...

If anyone could elaborate, i'd appreciate it

You don't need to, a usual upgrade will work. Apple prefer their testers to because it makes it easier to identify bugs. It's the same as Panther, where you can upgrade/archive and install, but the seed notes ask you not to.

AppleMatt

henryblackman

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2002
Originally posted by AppleMatt
You don't need to, a usual upgrade will work. Apple prefer their testers to because it makes it easier to identify bugs. It's the same as Panther, where you can upgrade/archive and install, but the seed notes ask you not to.

AppleMatt

Actually you should, otherwise the installer doesn't install the update correctly for seeds like 10.2.7. "Downgrading" changes the versions numbers of software so the installer will correctly replace files.

Panther is different. Apple are only working on the install process at the moment and not "upgrade". Why should they work on upgrade until release, or at least nearing Gold master. They ask people not to do this for good reason.

A

AhmedFaisal

Hmmmm improvement to PC-Cards.... Bluetooth PC-Cards, maybe? hopefully?

I read there that it contains improvements for Bluetooth and PC-Cards, hmm maybe even support for Bluetooth PC-Cards? I am really waiting for that :(
Cheers,

Ahmed

AppleMatt

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2003
UK
Originally posted by henryblackman
Actually you should, otherwise the installer doesn't install the update correctly for seeds like 10.2.7. "Downgrading" changes the versions numbers of software so the installer will correctly replace files.

Yeah that's what I (essentially) mean. If you upgrade over an existing installation, you could get a bug, but that bug isn't caused by a problem in the new build, it's the upgrade. Therefore alerting Apple to it would waste their time, thus, they want people to start from scratch.

At the same time I've used both downgraders and not bothered, and never had problems (touch wood).

I need to elaborate my posts more.

AppleMatt

JFreak

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2003
Tampere, Finland
sleep doesn't have "..." because the command doesn't ask user anything when it's executed. try the "..." commands and every one of them requires user to confirm something, but sleep-command (without the "...") doesn't.

simple as that, not a bug.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.