Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jklps

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 23, 2007
I wanted to share my experience with my iPod Classic 160GB that will help people.

I have an iTunes library of 100+ GB of music along with numerous smart playlists for each individual year, decades, some sub-genres(I have placed sub-genres in the comments fields that I get from Allmusic.com ) etc.

When I first got my iPod Classic I synced EVERYTHING to the thing, including all the smart playlists. During this time it would crash from coverflow, or if you tried to use the menu to go back while listening to a song, etc.

Finally yesterday I said forget this and created one smart playlist to contain all my music files, and synced that to the iPod along with 5-6 other playlists I use a lot.

Now my Classic does not crash and is way more responsive. In addition I noticed today that unlike previous iPods(at least the 5G) the Smart Playlists actively update. So I believe that with all those smart playlists(at least 50) on my iPod it was just bogging down the whole system.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Yeah, thanks for this tip. I have a lot of smart playlists too, though my 160GB iPod classic didn't crash like yours did. I will keep this in mind.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.