Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CaVoLo

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 1, 2003
hi all i ordered a dual 2 ghz g5....and i changed it to a combo drive.....for $$ reasons.

anyways i will want to be upgrading to a dvd burner in the future. THis is mostly to start my own dvd collection. anyways....would you reccomend an external or internal? cuz the powermac g5 can only have 1 optical drive....that sux.

If internal i think iw ant the to buy the one that apple uses in there powermacs (SONY DVD-RW DW-U10A).

Any reccomendations are greatly appreciated. Thanx for your help.

vniow

macrumors G4
Jul 18, 2002
I accidentally my whole location.
If you want to use iDVD you're going to have to use an internal one no question. You can always swap out the combo drive for a Superdrive later if you wish.

However there are external solutions if you want to use DVD authoring programs other than iDVD or use it as a backup drive for data you can buy one of many avalible DVD burners that are OSX compatible, DVD+/-RW drives are becoming fairly popular now if that's what you're going for, the Pioneer A06 seems to be pretty popular along with Sony's (alhough its more expensive)

Be sure to check xlr8yourmac's drive compatibility database for compatible ones.

Formac also has an external drive (DVD-RW only I believe) which comes with its own DVD-authoring software if you want to go that route.

Good luck.

-V

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.