PDA

View Full Version : reccomend a KVM switch please

shecky
Aug 26, 2003, 05:08 PM
looking to use my TiBook 1Ghz on my 19" PF790 Viewsonic while i am at home - i think going KVM so i can just hit a button and swap between my Mac and PC is the most efficient way for me to go.

any brand/product reccomendations?

and the 2nd question is i know i have seen a KVM that basically just switched the monitor, and then you have another set of keyboard and mouse to use on the Mac - can i do this with just one keyboard and one mouse to control both the mac and the PC? running XP Pro on the pc by the way.

is this Belkin KVM (http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=&Section_Id=201579&pcount=&Product_Id=122810) what i am looking for???

davidbk1
Aug 27, 2003, 02:14 PM
I have a linksys KVM, sorry its not here, so i dont have the model number, but ill post it friday if i remember. It works with 1 monitor, 1 keyboard, and 1 mouse, however, the mouse and keyboard are ps/2, but you can buy an adapter for about 45 dollars that converts both a ps2 keyboard and mouse into a single usb jack. If you would prefer to use two keyboards and mice, simply hook one set up to each computer, and only the monitor to the KVM.

I checked out the KVM you linked to, and Im not sure about it. First off, I dont know how the monitor connects to the computers. Secondly, if the monitor uses USB (is that possible?) it seems like you would need three usb ports. So you might need to buy usb hubs as well.

Alex Bischoff
Nov 6, 2003, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by davidbk1
I have a linksys KVM, sorry its not here, so i dont have the model number, but ill post it friday if i remember. It works with 1 monitor, 1 keyboard, and 1 mouse, however, the mouse and keyboard are ps/2, but you can buy an adapter for about 45 dollars that converts both a ps2 keyboard and mouse into a single usb jack.

I was confused for a moment about your description of using a KVM w/ PS2 ports on a Mac. I had envisioned that you'd connect the mouse and keyboard directly to the PS2/USB adapter -- and of course, that wouldn't do much good since you'd be left with a USB plug and nothing to plug it into.

But, if I understand you correctly, you'd plug the (PS2) keyboard and (PS2) mouse right into the KVM and then use the PS2-mouse-out and PS2-keyboard-out ports with the USB adapter to feed USB into the Mac, eh?

And, have you tried this technique yourself, or it more of a hunch at this point?