PDA

View Full Version : Do iPods drain if they're connected to computer that's off?

Wolfpup
Sep 29, 2007, 09:36 AM
Until recently I always used a connection that let my iPod (5.5G) be connected to my computer and a charger at the same time. Recently switched to just using a USB connection.

I've left my iPod hooked up to my computer on several nights-probably for at least a week or more-while the computer is off. I knew obviously it wasn't chargng, but I assumed it wouldn't hurt it either.

Well, today I unhook my iPod, try to turn it on, and it just flickers for a second and turns off. The battery was near dead. I'm charging it right now, but I'm just curious if that's normal-if it discharges when it's hooked to an unpowered USB port, and if so, why it's never drained it until today.

elcerrito494
Sep 29, 2007, 10:28 AM
The computer needs to be on.

Cloudsurfer
Sep 29, 2007, 01:41 PM
Something else must have happened. The iPod turns itself off (or puts itself to sleep, whichever) after I think two minutes.

Wolfpup
Sep 29, 2007, 09:06 PM
The computer needs to be on.

Yeah, but does it actually drain if it's connected to a computer that's off?

Something else must have happened. The iPod turns itself off (or puts itself to sleep, whichever) after I think two minutes.

Yeah, and I've had it connected to this system in the past-I turn it off at night, leave it connected, and it's still fine in the morning. Not sure what happened, but I recharged it an AC adapter and it's still acting normally.

chimerical
Sep 29, 2007, 09:28 PM
Make sure the alarm is off. That often drains a battery faster.

GimmeSlack12
Sep 29, 2007, 09:34 PM
Yeah, but does it actually drain if it's connected to a computer that's off?

Doesn't matter if it's connected to a computer or not. If the iPod isn't used for nearly a week then the battery will drain. That's just how it is.

Tumeg101
Sep 29, 2007, 10:07 PM
This same thing has happened to me 3 times before, with 5th gen iPod..
I use to always leave my iPod plugged in, but once I got grounded for about a week, and the whole time my iPod was still connected to my computer, then I unplugged it, and took it to where I was going, turned it on, and the battery was dead...
*NOTE:* the iPod had never been on since it's last charge (and the charge did fill it up)

Wolfpup
Sep 29, 2007, 10:41 PM
Doesn't matter if it's connected to a computer or not. If the iPod isn't used for nearly a week then the battery will drain. That's just how it is.

Sorry, I didn't explain it well in my original post-it drained completely overnight. I use it daily, it was fully charged last night when I turned my computer off (1:30amish), and totally dead when I woke up this morning (9am-ish)

When I've had it connected for a week or however I phrased that, what I meant to say is I've had it fully charged at night, shut my computer off but left the iPod plugged in, and it's been fine in the morning, and I've done that at least for 7 days or so-I'm probably still not phrasing that well!