PDA

View Full Version : Should I get an Invisible Shield for my iPod touch?

dschiller
Sep 29, 2007, 01:55 PM
Hi all:)

I'm wondering whether I should get an Invisible Shield (http://www.shieldzone.com/item_description/APIPTOUCHFB.html) for my yet-to-arrive iPod touch. I've got an IS on my 1G Nano, and I love it, but the first-generation Nano hasn't been known to be very scratch-resistant, and it doesn't have a touch-screen, so I'm kinda worried an IS for the touch's touch-screen might be both an overkill (it is said to be extremely scratch-resistant) and a problem for the touch-screen's responsiveness. So I'd like to know:

a) Is the touch's screen really that hard to scratch? I mean, I know it won't get major scratches, but for such a device I think even very minor scratches might turn out to be annoying.

b)Anyone with an IS for the touch/iPhone can confirm it isn't a problem for the touch-screen's responsiveness as well as its accuracy/crispness?

Any thoughts are appreciated!

Cheers
Daniel

dexx0008
Sep 29, 2007, 02:54 PM
I've kept my ipod one the ipod socks apple sells, works really well as it keeps the ipod protected and when i slide it out to use it, you see the touch in all it's beauty, not covered in protection. I don't think you will need an invisible shield to protect the screen if u have some sort of case/protection for it.

I have a 1st gen nano as well and if you looked at it wrong it seemed to scratch. the touch has a glass screen which makes it tougher to scratch,

that said, if you treat your stuff like crap, well it will look like it after a while. I wouldn't keep it in a pocket with keys without protection i guess is what i'm getting at if you want it to stay nice. just look for something to protect it when in your pockets and whatnot. I wouldn't necessarily focus on protecting the screen. /my 2 cents

dschiller
Sep 29, 2007, 03:04 PM
I've kept my ipod one the ipod socks apple sells, works really well as it keeps the ipod protected and when i slide it out to use it, you see the touch in all it's beauty, not covered in protection. I don't think you will need an invisible shield to protect the screen if u have some sort of case/protection for it.

I have a 1st gen nano as well and if you looked at it wrong it seemed to scratch. the touch has a glass screen which makes it tougher to scratch,

that said, if you treat your stuff like crap, well it will look like it after a while. I wouldn't keep it in a pocket with keys without protection i guess is what i'm getting at if you want it to stay nice. just look for something to protect it when in your pockets and whatnot. I wouldn't necessarily focus on protecting the screen. /my 2 cents

I definetelly see your point, but the great thing about the IS is that I can retain the touch's thinness while at the same time not having to worry about scratches. I'm not really a fan of cases.

That's why I wanted to know if the touch's really resistant to scratches. I mean, I won't treat it like crap, but I do intend to touch it (no pun intended).

BTW, can anyone tell me if the touch will fit nicely into the sleeve that used to come with the 5G iPod (I may have to use it temporarily)?

dexx0008
Sep 29, 2007, 03:39 PM
That's why I wanted to know if the touch's really resistant to scratches. I mean, I won't treat it like crap, but I do intend to touch it (no pun intended).

the back scratches really easy like other ipods,i haven't seen anyone report that their touch was scratched, but who is going to take their $400 touch and take keys to it to really test the glass. i'm sure it's as resistant as the iphone which hasn't generated any complaints. I'd maybe search for one of the tear downs that was done on the touch. I'm sure one of those sights did a scratch test. hope the shield works great, you'll have to follow up on your post when it arrives (if you get one)

derryquinn
Sep 29, 2007, 03:53 PM
This guy tested it's scratch-ability. So i guess that kinda answers your question.

:apple: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzbxpSwDetk :apple:

pantalaimon
Sep 29, 2007, 03:55 PM
yeah get one, they are great... although i've only used the back part for the chrome.

niz91
Sep 29, 2007, 04:33 PM
the screen is virtually inddestructable a guy on youtube put a razor blade to it and there were no scratches. i do recomend some sort of case though as the chrome back is succeptable to scratching, just like the previous generations of ipod.

dragonguy83
Sep 29, 2007, 04:35 PM
imtyping from a touch that has a skin on it and i really like the feel of it when i type it gives a little more tactile responce as it doesnt let your fingers slide i highly reccommend it to all touch users. Try putting on the front and see what mean. Im still getting a case for it since i do outside work and dont want to brake this. Application was easy done in 20minutes. Dont kid yourself the front will scrath, my first touch did

dschiller
Sep 29, 2007, 05:15 PM
yeah get one, they are great... although i've only used the back part for the chrome.

Does it look good? From what I've read it seems the back of the IS for the touch doesn't really fit all that well. Is that true?

the screen is virtually inddestructable a guy on youtube put a razor blade to it and there were no scratches. i do recomend some sort of case though as the chrome back is succeptable to scratching, just like the previous generations of ipod.

I know it won't have any major scratches, but I think some small scratches could show up with everyday usage, and I'm kinda worried about that.

imtyping from a touch that has a skin on it and i really like the feel of it when i type it gives a little more tactile responce as it doesnt let your fingers slide i highly reccommend it to all touch users. Try putting on the front and see what mean. Im still getting a case for it since i do outside work and dont want to brake this. Application was easy done in 20minutes. Dont kid yourself the front will scrath, my first touch did

It's good to hear that. Does it not affect the screen's responsiveness at all? What about photos/videos on the display with the IS...does it look good or do you get a bit of distortion?

Anyone else with IS for iPod touch experiences to share?

Cheers:D
Daniel

themiracle
Sep 29, 2007, 05:32 PM
I would definitely recommend one in general (I don't have one yet, so I can't comment on the specifics with the touch), but I would definitely go with BestSkinsEver (bestskinsever.com), they have the exact same thing (Same material and everything) for about 1/5 of the price. The only problem is they don't have a touch skin at the moment, but I e-mailed them and they should be putting one out very soon.

Wailord
Sep 29, 2007, 05:38 PM
I would. When I get my touch in a week, I'll be picking one up (or ordering one, whatever), and from what I've seen, it has absolutely no effect on responsiveness (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onCG5gzeLdU). Also, the guy in the scratch test didn't really go after it, but it still is pretty durable. IS have a lifetime warranty, too, and it's better safe than sorry!

casjohnr
Sep 29, 2007, 05:42 PM
I have ordered one for mine...Considering I chucked my old iPod anywhere there was space I feel that having a shield on my touch will mean I can treat it the same which is what I want :)

onionperson654
Sep 29, 2007, 05:55 PM
I just put on an extra "normal" screen protector (really cheap) that I had lying about on the back of my new touch to protect it until I get a case (or invisible shield, etc.).

I think that having something on the back is a necessity unless you never plan on taking it out of the case because the back scratches so easily. Oppositely, the front doesn't really need anything (unless scratches begin to show up). Thanks Apple for the last minute change to the iphone (that was then brought to the touch) to put in glass.

That said, I'm definitely going to get an actual case because while the flash memory makes the touch sturdier than the ipod classic, I know that at some point I will drop it or it will fall and its worth the protection. The screen protector I have now might be fine for the times I have it out of the case (hopefully a very thin one) and as long as I'm not putting it in my pocket with keys, I'll be ok.

Of course, if that "BestSkinsEver" is really a similar product, its way cheaper.

dschiller
Sep 29, 2007, 05:57 PM
I would. When I get my touch in a week, I'll be picking one up (or ordering one, whatever), and from what I've seen, it has absolutely no effect on responsiveness (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onCG5gzeLdU). Also, the guy in the scratch test didn't really go after it, but it still is pretty durable. IS have a lifetime warranty, too, and it's better safe than sorry!

It's recomforting to see that, but then I saw this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9PsCu7s3Ng)video of some guy's iPhone which had its IS removed and now I'm a bit worried...I mean, it doesn't seem to be faked, and the iPhone only was affected after he had removed the IS.

casjohnr
Sep 29, 2007, 06:07 PM
It's recomforting to see that, but then I saw this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9PsCu7s3Ng)video of some guy's iPhone which had its IS removed and now I'm a bit worried...I mean, it doesn't seem to be faked, and the iPhone only was affected after he had removed the IS.

I can't see why you would actually want to remove the shield once it is on :confused:

dschiller
Sep 29, 2007, 07:46 PM
I can't see why you would actually want to remove the shield once it is on :confused:

It's hard to say, but who knows, maybe I'd want to sell the iPod touch someday, and to do so I'd have to take out the IS (for obvious reasons). Besides, suppose I don't like the feel of it after I apply it...

Anyone here has applied and subsequently removed an IS from an iPod touch/iPhone (maybe I should post this on the iPhone section of this forum)?

themiracle
Sep 29, 2007, 10:04 PM
Of course, if that "BestSkinsEver" is really a similar product, its way cheaper.

It definitely is. I recently pulled an IS off a 5G and replaced it with a BSE skin. They're definitely the same material and the cut was very similar. Also, dschiller, they are very easy to remove in general (There was an area that got a bit melted and there was glue residue all around it after I peeled it off, other than that...). I haven't removed on from an iPhone specifically, but I would assume its the same. Personally, I don't even be putting the screen protector on; it's the shiny back I really care about.

iskhj000
Sep 29, 2007, 11:51 PM
I would really recommend you to watch the video for instructions. It says a lot more then the instructions that comes in the package.
Also make sure you are in good lighting (to see bubbles)
http://www.shieldzone.com/movie/index.html

I do like the feel better since it seems a little more tacker and is safer to hold.
So far handling touch control is fine.

Stang68
Sep 30, 2007, 01:35 AM
yea, ordered my IS for the touch and am waiting for it to get here. I think i am going to only put it on the back, though. The front seems pretty durable. Also, it seems damn near impossible to get the front part on!!

spazer
Sep 30, 2007, 01:44 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3A110a Safari/419.3)

I have the IS for my touch. I only installed the back piece to protect the chrome finish. It does have a good durable feel to it, but I can tell you this is definitely not a material I would want covering the glass screen. Also, it was not easy to install and the fit isnt perfect. I am happy with it over all though. I still have the front screen cover piece, anyone want it?

Ipaqman
Sep 30, 2007, 02:39 AM
id take the front piece for sure. pm me if its still available.

thanks so much,
ipaqman

dschiller
Sep 30, 2007, 10:26 AM
I would really recommend you to watch the video for instructions. It says a lot more then the instructions that comes in the package.
Also make sure you are in good lighting (to see bubbles)
http://www.shieldzone.com/movie/index.html

I do like the feel better since it seems a little more tacker and is safer to hold.
So far handling touch control is fine.

And how does the screen look when watching videos/photos with the IS?

Anyone with an iPod touch without an IS notices scratches on the screen, even minor scratches?

colincampbell
Sep 30, 2007, 11:39 AM
From passed experience using the Invisible Shield, i would HIGHLY recommend applying one to your Touch; especially for the back of the Ipod.

I purchased one because for $24 you can guarantee your Ipod will be in perfect condition all the time.
The back chrome part of the Touch scratches extremely easily! Also, sure the face of the Ipod doesn't scratch easily, but if you happen to drop your Touch on the ground or anything similar, you'll definitely get some scratches on it.
Also, the skin does NOT effect the response of the Touch. Plus, you can always remove the skin at any time if you don't like it. I highly suggest purchasing one either from Zagg or BestSkinsEver.

jmpage2
Sep 30, 2007, 01:19 PM
It definitely is. I recently pulled an IS off a 5G and replaced it with a BSE skin. They're definitely the same material and the cut was very similar. Also, dschiller, they are very easy to remove in general (There was an area that got a bit melted and there was glue residue all around it after I peeled it off, other than that...). I haven't removed on from an iPhone specifically, but I would assume its the same. Personally, I don't even be putting the screen protector on; it's the shiny back I really care about.

If what you are saying is true then they have changed the material that they use for the BSE skins recently.

2 years ago I purchased an Invisible Shield for my 5G iPod and purchased a BSE skin for the Nano that I bought my wife.

The skins were very different materials, and the Invisible shield was easier in application, was 'thicker' than the BSE skin and has held up very well over the last 2 yrs whereas the skin on my wife's Nano has some bubbles/creases that never came out (but still looks pretty good).

At the end of the days both will protect your pod but I feel the invisible shield is a superior product.

iskhj000
Sep 30, 2007, 08:14 PM
And how does the screen look when watching videos/photos with the IS?

Anyone with an iPod touch without an IS notices scratches on the screen, even minor scratches?

I kept the protector on the front that came with the touch in shipment. so there wasnt any scratches.
The back is already pretty scratched up. The shield did not add or take away from the back scratches.

I about freaked out when I applied it because it didn't look clean. After 24 hours it looks great. I think it adds a little resistance and I am able to hold it better. I hope to get still a case that may protect it if I drop it.
PS: I have already dropped it on concrete (before the shield) and it didn't leave a dent or scratch. Pretty amaizing. I hope to get a http://www.vajacases.com/home/home_en.html

Hellfire91
Oct 1, 2007, 04:29 PM
I just put my invisible shield on and there are a ton of smudges on the front shield, back looks fine, hopefully they will go away otherwise I'm gonna have to take it off.

I'm going to be pissed off if thats how a shield i paid $25 for looks after 24 hours.

m242
Oct 1, 2007, 11:38 PM
I have just applied an invisible shield to my 16g touch, after first watching the video on how to do it. It took about 45 minutes being totally obsessive about pre-cleaning, squeezing out air bubbles etc. I am really pleased with the results. My advice is take your time putting it on, it is worth it. No effect on the sensitivity of the touch screen as best I can tell

jbgordon
Oct 2, 2007, 07:34 AM
For those who have already put an Invisible Shield on their iPod Touch, what did you use to get rid of the fingerprints on the front and back before applying the shield? The iPod cloth doesn't seem to totally remove smudges and fingerprints oils, just merely rubs them around.

modafroman
Oct 2, 2007, 07:45 AM
For those who have already put an Invisible Shield on their iPod Touch, what did you use to get rid of the fingerprints on the front and back before applying the shield? The iPod cloth doesn't seem to totally remove smudges and fingerprints oils, just merely rubs them around.

A lint free glasses cleaning cloth should do the trick :)

daibach
Oct 2, 2007, 07:50 AM
Definitely get something for the back. The front doesn't need it in my opinion. I've had mine for a couple of weeks (in and out of pockets) and there isn't a scratch on the front. I cleaned the back with some lighter fluid before applying.

mikesr
Oct 2, 2007, 08:52 AM
Wow - I am NOT sorry I got the I.S. for my Touch. I was skeptical at first (more afraid what of what the Touch would look like if I had to remove it for some reason.)

For those of you considering it, it's worth the $24.00. I really love the "feel" it gives me as well. You'll notice it right away..

1) Take your time when putting it on.
2) Do NOT fold it over if you have to lift it off to get some air bubbles out as it will leave a slight "crease". (It happened on the back of mine so I left it on. If it were the front, different story..)
3) Don't be stingy on the solution (wish they gave us more though..)
4) Waiting the 24 hours for it to setup will definitely make a difference in how it looks. Once it sets up, it looks great !!
5) The front might not need it but I put it on anyway - might as well get the all-around protection anyway..
6) I didn't lose ANY sensitivity on the screen..

I liked it so much, I ordered shields for my Son's PSP and my cell !

No complaints here..

HelixOmnimedia
Oct 2, 2007, 09:25 AM
I have just applied an invisible shield to my 16g touch, after first watching the video on how to do it.

If you don't mind me asking, where do you watch this video on how to apply the shield to the iPod Touch?

My Touch should have been here today, but it still hasn't turned up, and my shield came last week.

mikesr
Oct 2, 2007, 09:34 AM
If you don't mind me asking, where do you watch this video on how to apply the shield to the iPod Touch?

Install instructions are here ---> http://www.shieldzone.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?display=action&emptyoverride=yes&template=style/2.0/app_instructions.html

along with a link to the video..

Enjoy !!

blacksurf
Oct 2, 2007, 10:11 AM
[QUOTE=mikesr;4271189]
3) Don't be stingy on the solution (wish they gave us more though..)
QUOTE]

The solution can be refilled though, just put some water in and a little washing up liquid - works fine. Remember also that you can remove the shield using water/soap/solution as well.

r!ggaman
Oct 2, 2007, 02:11 PM
Wow, maybe im the only one but I like the fact that my ipod touch, or any ipod, gets all beat up from my use. Kind of like a guitar that had its paint chip away and the hardware rust over the years due to constant use. It gives the product a story and really makes it unique to you, but hey maybe im not all OCD about scratches and stuff. :D

vanzskater272
Oct 2, 2007, 05:03 PM
I really want to order a bestskinever cover for my touch but I dont wanna keep waiting. Does anyone know if any stores like walmart or best buy carry the Invisible Shield?

bektravels
Oct 2, 2007, 06:20 PM
I have just applied an invisible shield to my 16g touch, after first watching the video on how to do it. It took about 45 minutes being totally obsessive about pre-cleaning, squeezing out air bubbles etc. I am really pleased with the results. My advice is take your time putting it on, it is worth it. No effect on the sensitivity of the touch screen as best I can tell

Heya - to anyone who's put the IS on their touch, any chance of seeing some photos?? ;)

Thx

bektravels
Oct 2, 2007, 06:23 PM
Wow, maybe im the only one but I like the fact that my ipod touch, or any ipod, gets all beat up from my use. Kind of like a guitar that had its paint chip away and the hardware rust over the years due to constant use. It gives the product a story and really makes it unique to you, but hey maybe im not all OCD about scratches and stuff. :D

Yeah I haven't really cared about scratches til the touch... although I'm starting to wish I did - I wanna sell my old video on ebay but it's looking *really* shabby, can't imagine anyone wanting to bid on it!!

m242
Oct 2, 2007, 07:11 PM
Heya - to anyone who's put the IS on their touch, any chance of seeing some photos?? ;)

Thx

Sure, here are some photos of mine, with the IS on both sides. Difficult to pick up from the pics because it is basically invisible. The smudge at the top of the back shot is to obscure the engraving

KassaNovaKaine
Oct 2, 2007, 07:55 PM
While I'm definitely getting a shield for the back, is it even worth it for the front? I've never scratched any of my previous 3 ipods, so it's highly doubtful I'll scratch one that has an even better scratch-resistant screen.

The only advantage I can think of, is how the IS affects smudging and whatnot. Any comments about that? I know the Touch's screen can basically be just wiped clean, but I'd rather it didn't have it at all. Would putting on the shield somehow "deflect" the grease and oil from fingers more efficiently?

G5Unit
Oct 2, 2007, 08:07 PM
I applied mine, but the corners are up and are full of sand now. Bahh, ***** happens.

m242
Oct 2, 2007, 08:18 PM
[QUOTE=KassaNovaKaine;4274207]While I'm definitely getting a shield for the back, is it even worth it for the front? I've never scratched any of my previous 3 ipods, so it's highly doubtful I'll scratch one that has an even better scratch-resistant screen.

yeah good point, I wasn't planning on putting the front on until I saw how well the back went on, then I thought I'd give it a try because I can always take it off later. It's only been a day but I think the fingerprint problem is better with the shield on, the plastic doesn't seem to trap them like the glass did

bektravels
Oct 2, 2007, 08:56 PM
Sure, here are some photos of mine, with the IS on both sides. Difficult to pick up from the pics because it is basically invisible. The smudge at the top of the back shot is to obscure the engraving

Thanks for posting! It does look good, might have to get me one:)

Cache
Oct 3, 2007, 01:32 PM
So, did anyone take their front IS off yet? Experiencing any decrease in touch sensitivity?

dschiller
Oct 4, 2007, 07:27 PM
So, did anyone take their front IS off yet? Experiencing any decrease in touch sensitivity?

I'd like to know that as well:)

IUBall22
Oct 4, 2007, 10:18 PM
have not take off either the front or back shield. There is no decrease in touch sensitivity. In fact, i am writing this on my touch with the shield on.

Chimpy
Oct 6, 2007, 11:07 PM
Bestskinsever has the new iPod Touch skins for sale now. I've used BSE for my 1st, 2nd, and now 3rd gen nanos and my 30GB iPod Video and have loved them. Awesome protection and looks great.

The first time application is a bitch, as you will be thinking to yourself "Really? Am I really gonna dunk this piece of plastic in water and then lay it wet on my iPod??" The answer is yes, you are going to do just that. You want it good and wet so that it slides around as you get the fit just right. You then use a credit card to squeegee out the water. The keys to a good installation (I've done about 7 iPods now, between my wife and I) are:

Use plenty of the water/detergent solution
Don't let any soap get under the skin. If you have soapy film on top of the solution you made, you used too much detergent. You only need a DROP.
Make sure the fit is spot-on. If it's not, peel the skin off before it sticks and re-wet...keep your fingertips wet as well.
Once it's exactly in place very gently squeegee out the water with a credit card while dabbing with a paper towel.
LET IT DRY FOR AT LEAST 24 HOURS. Resist the temptation to handle the iPod as it dries. As it dries it will look nicer and nicer.
If it's done right it will be INVISIBLE. I mean, like, most people don't notice the skin when I hand them my iPod, and they FREAK when I start running my keys across the front.

Hope this helps. No, I'm no shill for Best Skins Ever, just a very happy user of their product. If I'm not too lazy I'll try and post pics of my new phatty nano covered with their skin.

Sir. Cheesecake
Oct 6, 2007, 11:38 PM
I honestly didnt like the feel it gave on the front. Had to press a tad harder on flicking through didnt feel as smooth. Love it on the back though.

darrengreer
Oct 7, 2007, 05:03 PM
I love the feel of the IS on my touch. The best thing about it is the fact that it longer feels like it is going to slip right out of my hands.

The feel of the IS is hard to describe, but I really like it. And I haven't had any issues with sensitivity so far. At least that is noticeable.