Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
Apple isn't letting those developers and coders get much sleep. :) At this rate, the Panther release date might have to be retroactively pushed up to before now!

Wow, that makes no sense.....:D

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
I can't even imagine the hell the developers have to go through with all these updates considering it's hard enough for me to just read about each new seed before a new one comes out.

And it's nice to see myself quoted, makes me feel all warm and fuzzy :)

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
Originally posted by Powerbook G5
And it's nice to see myself quoted, makes me feel all warm and fuzzy :)

:)

It is just so perfect. I was going to ask for your permission, but honestly, even if you said no I would have used it. It is hilarious.

Thanks again for just a great quote. You should feel warm and fuzz :)

Does anyone know how apple decides which builds to seed? Is it just really small bugs and stuff that they squeeze out that make 7B49 a bit more stable than 7B48?

AppleMatt

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2003
UK
hmmmm.

The builds are becoming more frequent and the build numbers are getting closer.

I have no idea what the significance of this is, I just enjoy pointing out the obvious.

AppleMatt

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
It does seem like it is wrapping up pretty quickly. If Apple is seeding Panther builds this quickly, it is likely because they are trying to iron out all of the wrinkles so they can get to GM asap.

daveL

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2003
Montana
I agree. If you had a bug list as long as your, ah, arm, you'd think there would be more builds between seedings. The fact that they are releasing them so close together makes me think the bug list is getting as short as your, ah, nevermind.

I wouldn't be surprised if the next seed is 7C. We are getting close.

Off to download.

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
Hmm...if the list were still that long, it might not be until Longhorn is released that we'd get Panther...okay, now being serious, I think it will be soon. It was a good week or so between seeds and now they are happening within days of each other. This can only be a good thing for those of us wanting to sink our teeth into Panther.

bennetsaysargh

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2003
New York
wow. i just finished getting 7B39. i must keep up with the times:p

yes it's another step closer, but how many steps have we traveled, and how many more will there be?

york2600

Cancelled
Jul 24, 2002
Portland, OR
Seriously this is crazy. I have a 7B28 and this is for my day to day machine. I'm gettin tired of mail and Safari crashing left and right and the trash icon still being full. I keep trying to download the new releases, but we have a packet shaper and a firewall so I get like .2k. I'm gonna go crazy if I have to wait any longer.

AppleMatt

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2003
UK
Originally posted by york2600
Seriously this is crazy. I have a 7B28 and this is for my day to day machine. I'm gettin tired of mail and Safari crashing left and right and the trash icon still being full. I keep trying to download the new releases, but we have a packet shaper and a firewall so I get like .2k. I'm gonna go crazy if I have to wait any longer.

...you could just use Jaguar...or as it appears from your post you're not getting Panther from ADC, allowing BitTorrents ports in on your firewall.

AppleMatt

tizza

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
Was Jaguar like this?

These are exciting times indeed, though I am thankful I am not a developer using Panther at this stage!

Does anyway remember what the pattern of releases were like just before Jaguar went GM?

zigzag

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2003
Canada
Re: Was Jaguar like this?

Originally posted by tizza
These are exciting times indeed, though I am thankful I am not a developer using Panther at this stage!

Does anyway remember what the pattern of releases were like just before Jaguar went GM?

Not like this :confused:

mustang_dvs

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2003
Durham, NC
The worst part is that the each of the 3 disks for the seeds are no longer posted as single Macbinary-encoded disk-image files -- they're tiny little segment files (for some reason that escapes me) that you have to stitch together and then burn to CD. And Apple makes it difficult to use anything other than a browser (i.e. an FTP program) to log-in to their seeding servers.

Ugh.

/wonder if I just violated an NDA? (I hope not.)

mvc

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2003
Outer-Roa
Originally posted by Powerbook G5
"I'm afraid when Bill [Gates] dies, he might find a way to create a monopoly in hell and steal the power of evil from the Devil himself."

Beware - There is no return beyond the Gates of DELL!

WOpro

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2003
A place called Hell, Florida
MacBinary segments

To the person grousing about the
mac binary segments. When the second seed was posted as single file DMGs, performance from their FTP servers sucked. I am on a relatively fast pipe, and it took forever to grab all four disks.

The beauty of the mbsegments is that you can resume your DL at whatever chunk your left off at.

You shouldn't have any issues grabbing the chunks with a normal FTP client. I have pulled down the seeds using both RBrowser and Transmit, and had 0 issues.

The ADC mailings ~suggest~ that you not use the webinterface to pull them down.

Cheers, and I hope that you have better luck in the future.

Samir 3.0

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2003
Toast

Does anyone knows if toast works properly with this seed???
I've tried 7B28 and now 7B39 but there's no way to even start toast javascript:smilie(':mad:')javascript:smilie(':mad:')javascript:smilie(':mad:')

BrandonRP0123

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2003
San Francisco, CA
Re: MacBinary segments

Originally posted by WOpro
To the person grousing about the
mac binary segments. When the second seed was posted as single file DMGs, performance from their FTP servers sucked. I am on a relatively fast pipe, and it took forever to grab all four disks.

The beauty of the mbsegments is that you can resume your DL at whatever chunk your left off at.

You shouldn't have any issues grabbing the chunks with a normal FTP client. I have pulled down the seeds using both RBrowser and Transmit, and had 0 issues.

The ADC mailings ~suggest~ that you not use the webinterface to pull them down.

Cheers, and I hope that you have better luck in the future.

This is exactly how FreeBSD does it - via any media (local files via local media, network install, etc).

ffakr

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2002
Chicago
toasty

Yes, Toast 5.2.1 works under Build 49... well it launches fine, I haven't burned a disk yet.
Toast 5.1.3 doesn't launch.

Other than that, the builds are proceeding very nicely. Can't give details, but everyone will be very impressed....
like 10.1 to 10.2 impressed.

:D

Disonince1979

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2003
TOAST IS BACK

Ok toast fully works with my 12pb. I burned a dvd, vcd, audio cd. All worked perfectly, and new options work fine (if you did the firmware hack). Also with b49, way better handling of divx (audio doesn't loose sync at all). Boot time is just amazing, I only see the fill bar for about 2 seconds, login is about another 3. I can sleep my pb again safely, no more random coma's. I can run all my old apps now strangely. Soldier of fortune 2...ect. Everything seems to launch alot faster as well. This is by far the biggest milestone with the builds, well at least the most functional and fast.

AppleMatt

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2003
UK
Re: TOAST IS BACK

Originally posted by Disonince1979
I can sleep my pb again safely, no more random coma's.

Seriously? I assume you're talking about black-screen on wake, where the computer wakes but the screen doesn't and the only solution is a forced reboot?

How about if you sleep it with peripherals attached, remove them while sleeping, then wake it?

AppleMatt

Disonince1979

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2003
Well, ok maybe panther isn't purrfect yet.

Sleeping then unpluggin did the usual, woke it up, the screen lit up for a moment, then it kinda just sat there. Didn't go back to sleep, didn't wake up.

One big thing I noticed about these panther builds, that I noticed in the jaguar builds. They always expirement with sleep on laptops. One build it works, one it doesn't and so on. Like now, when I sleep my computer, it makes the *brrrrrmm* powering down sound, then goes to sleep (light pulses). Before it would just sleep, no sound. It's kind of like the sound in wolf from the panserfaust just before it fires, like a camera charging a flash. I also noticed that keeping my laptop in sleep mode for 3 days I only lost 5% of battery, wheras I used to loose like 10%-25%. Maybe that has something to do with it.

Disonince1979

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2003
Ohh and one more thing...

Oh and my fav fix, is the sound pop when you would cause a sound after silence for a while. It was caused because the new sound hardware "sleeps" and the wake up would take longer than expected, so the sound would lag, or pop. NO MORE :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.