PDA

View Full Version : iBook G4 crashes with movement or pressure on the left hand side. But...

kerfuffle
Sep 29, 2007, 05:09 PM
I have a problem with my Ibook G4 that I assumed must be some kind of logic board thing - with one big exception.

The system, as long as you don't move or knock it, seems to start up and operate as normal. Knock it, and it crashes. Apply pressure to the left hand side - and it crashes.

So far, so logic board, right?

So why does it start up from the OSX Tiger install DVD and have no problems at all? I could throw it accross the room and it would still operate as long as it has been booted up from that DVD.

I've tried running the system from an external hard disk - same problem.

Any ideas?

K

theman
Sep 29, 2007, 06:48 PM
I have a problem with my Ibook G4 that I assumed must be some kind of logic board thing - with one big exception.

The system, as long as you don't move or knock it, seems to start up and operate as normal. Knock it, and it crashes. Apply pressure to the left hand side - and it crashes.

So far, so logic board, right?

So why does it start up from the OSX Tiger install DVD and have no problems at all? I could throw it accross the room and it would still operate as long as it has been booted up from that DVD.

I've tried running the system from an external hard disk - same problem.

Any ideas?

K

when did you get the ibook? If it is mid 2005 or later it has a sudden motion sensor. this shuts off the HDD if it is dropped or jarred. it is probably something malfunctioning due to a bad logic board. but that's just a guess. but since it is fine with the tiger dvd, it's possible that its a software thing, but still related to the motion sensor. you should just try reinstalling tiger. or maybe the motion sensor is not activated with just the dvd running.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=300781

shoulin333
Sep 29, 2007, 09:32 PM

this is because it is poor solders on the graphics chip... when you boot from install dvd you arnt running full color/rez and no 3d accel (quartz)

here is a how to on a "pressure fix" http://www.coreyarnold.org/ibook/ ..... this worked on the one i sold... but you can always find someone really good at soldering (jewler good with a eye scope) and fix it permantly.... or else the logic board goes for $300