PDA

View Full Version : Sharing Libraries on Home Network

kokoricoboy
Sep 30, 2007, 08:05 AM
I'm new to this site but heard it was good. I have an Ipod classic and so does my wife. My Itunes is homed on a Windows machine, hers goes to her Mac. I have over 2000 songs, she doesn't. Before I hose anything up I thought I'd ask: I assume I can't register her Ipod on my Windows machine because hers is Mac? She'd like to take songs she likes from my library but I don't think they will be compatible. Can I have her make a playlist on my Itunes, then can I somehow export the list to a shared folder on my home network so she can download?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Sep 30, 2007, 01:13 PM
I'm new to this site but heard it was good. I have an Ipod classic and so does my wife. My Itunes is homed on a Windows machine, hers goes to her Mac. I have over 2000 songs, she doesn't. Before I hose anything up I thought I'd ask: I assume I can't register her Ipod on my Windows machine because hers is Mac? She'd like to take songs she likes from my library but I don't think they will be compatible. Can I have her make a playlist on my Itunes, then can I somehow export the list to a shared folder on my home network so she can download?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Either copy the files over the network that she wants from your computer to hers, and pull them into iTunes. If both machines are authorized on the same iTunes Store account it will work. Alternatively, if the two machines aren't networked or if Mac-PC network file transfer is something you're unfamiliar with, you could just create a folder with the songs she wants on your computer, burn that folder to a data DVD from iTunes and then load those songs into her iTunes library.

A third possibility is to just use one computer for all your device synching... i.e. move her smaller library over to the computer with the bigger library and manage all your purchases there.