Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cbrain

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 9, 2006
North-East, UK
Hi,

Can anyone recommend a good, simple and free app that can convert MIDI to MP3?

I have tried using the converter in "Max" but it does not let me select a MIDI file.

Thanks.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
OK, you realize that this is not a matter of converting a filetype, right?

The MIDI file has no audio enclosed, it is a sequence file - a series of instructions for playing a MIDI instrument. So your MIDI sequence has to be played through a sequencer, which commands MIDI instruments (software or hardware) to play the notes, and the resulting sound is then saved as an audio format and converted to an MP3

iTunes will do this for you, Import the MID file to your library, then under the Advanced tab, choose Convert to MP3. The problem is, the results could be terrible, because iTunes has to decide which instruments to assign to each track (and the software Quicktime Musical instruments aren't the highest quality). If the writer of the MIDI track didn't assign instruments according to the General MIDI standard, then your results can be pretty random.

The classic way to do this would be to import the MIDI tracks into a sequencer (such as GarageBand) and assigning software instruments to the tracks to suit your taste, and proceeding from there.

cbrain

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 9, 2006
North-East, UK
Thanks! I used iTunes to convert it and the result sounds almost exactly the same but just a little quieter.

Gavinator1435

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2009
Can't figure it out...

I looked in my iTunes "advanced" tab and there was no option to convert to mp3... Do I need to upgrade or buy a special version of iTunes? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

<fields_of_rohan1435@yahoo.com>

MacNik

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2009
Boston
MIDI to MP3

itunes, even before converting them to its files, produces poor quality sound out of the midis when playing them, and often skips across a file. So, that doesn't seem to be a solution.
I don't know about good freeware programs, but as an alternative, you can try free online services, for example, media-convert.com, solmire.com. But I have many midi files that have to be converted, and these services don't allow queueing files. So I found a program called MIDI to MP3 Converter. All you need to do is to drag and drop files to the program window and click its convert button.

polaris20

macrumors 68020
Jul 13, 2008
As was already mentioned, there is no sound at all in a MIDI file. It's data only, containing velocity and pitch information.

What you can do is open it in GarageBand, and drag the midi file to a track. Then select an instrument you want to use (helps to know what the composer of the midi track originally intended it to be) and then export to iTunes.

StephenDaniel

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2009
Chicago
I looked in my iTunes "advanced" tab and there was no option to convert to mp3... Do I need to upgrade or buy a special version of iTunes? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!>

Hmm, that's strange. An iTunes upgrade should be free if you use to updater. The tab is under

Advanced--->Create MP3 Version

After that you can just right click on any audio in the library and there should be an option to convert it to MP3.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
You can use iTunes though the last version converts MIDI to AA file which is pretty similar to MP3 (quality). If you need to adjust MIDI parameters and render music with appropriate Sound Font then the best option I found is http://www.audiosoftstore.com/midi-to-mp3-converter-mac.html

You do know this is a four year old thread? I'm very surprised that in all that time no one suggested to most obvious answer: "Garage Band".

GB is designed just for this purpose and has a lot of ways to edit the MIDI file and assign instrument and effects. It can even use third party software AU plug-ins to render the an instrument if you want.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.