PDA

View Full Version : New iPod peripherals.

Catt
Aug 27, 2003, 07:57 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2003/08/20030824044627.shtml

I don't know if this has been discussed before or not, I had a look but couldn't find anything.

So has anyone got any ideas as to what they might be?

What I would love to see is a backlit LCD remote which allows you to navigate through different artists, rather than just skip tracks as with the current remote. I think this is an annoyance on the current iPods, not a major problem, but as someone who migrated to iPod from minidisc I do miss the use of an LCD remote, even if it just displays the title of the track. I am realistic and realise that it would be difficult to give the full functionality of the iPods main controls in the form of a remote, given the need for a large LCD screen, but I would still like to something along these lines.

The second thing that would be good would be a new dock with an infra red remote control so that you could have your iPod hooked up to your stereo on the other side of the room but still be able to skip tracks and so on using an infra red remote control.

bennetsaysargh
Aug 27, 2003, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by Catt
The second thing that would be good would be a new dock with an infra red remote control so that you could have your iPod hooked up to your stereo on the other side of the room but still be able to skip tracks and so on using an infra red remote control.

infared is dying. if they make a wireless anything, it would be wifi or bluetooth.

Catt
Aug 27, 2003, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by bennetsaysargh
infared is dying. if they make a wireless anything, it would be wifi or bluetooth.

But infrared is also considerably cheaper than both wifi and bluetooth. And whilst a wifi enabled dock would be good because you could wirelessly transfer songs from your computer to the iPod (and maybe use a wifi controller) the price premium on such a device would be huge. And not all people have wifi enabled computers. Bluetooth makes more sense because its cheaper but its also slower, but still more expensive than infrared.