Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CalBoy

macrumors 604
Original poster
May 21, 2007
:eek:
I started out wondering why Apple designed the new nano the way it is, and I was really beginning to doubt the design team. No matter how many times I saw it on TV or online, it looked the same to me. Then....

I went to the mall today, innocently strolling about. And there was the new nano. I must admit, it's quite a cute little thing:eek:

Darn, if only I hadn't bought one three months ago:p

In any case, I think that no picture can do the new nano justice. It simply is one of those things you must see in person in order to understand how attractive it is. It's very strange that this likeness doesn't show up in picture form, but trust me, it doesn't.

Ok, my little story is done. Feel free to comment on my thoughts, or leave your own opinion about them:)

ivi7

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2007
I went through the same thing. After looking at the videos and the pictures of the new Nano I was not impressed but when I saw it in person I was surprised. I really like the size and its thin and overall it looks pretty cool.
I couldn't convince myself that I needed a 4th ipod so I don't have 1 yet :(

vanzskater272

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2006
Yeah its just so much better in person. The pictures dont do justice to it at all. Its soo tiny and light in person. I would get one but the prices of the 5.5Gen ipod videos are also very tempting so I decided to try to find one of those.

CalBoy

macrumors 604
Original poster
May 21, 2007
I went through the same thing. After looking at the videos and the pictures of the new Nano I was not impressed but when I saw it in person I was surprised. I really like the size and its thin and overall it looks pretty cool.
I couldn't convince myself that I needed a 4th ipod so I don't have 1 yet :(

Yeah it really is quite different in person. I'm hoping I'll have a good reason by Christmas to get one. If not, I might end up getting one anyways:p

thebassoonist

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2007
Davis, CA
It is really cute! I want one. I thought they looked pretty lame when I saw the pictures on the internet and Jobs' presentation, but when I went to the Apple Store and played around with one. They are awesome!
I thought the colors were lame, too, when I saw pictures, but they are really gorgeous!

CalBoy

macrumors 604
Original poster
May 21, 2007
It is really cute! I want one. I thought they looked pretty lame when I saw the pictures on the internet and Jobs' presentation, but when I went to the Apple Store and played around with one. They are awesome!
I thought the colors were lame, too, when I saw pictures, but they are really gorgeous!

I haven't been able to see all the colors yet, but I'm sure I will. I think the Product Red one is much better than the old one.

epicwelshman

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2006
Nassau, Bahamas
I haven't seen it in person yet, but the official and user photos make it look a LOT nicer than the leaked designs. I like how it's still very thin... beautiful little iPod.

And the Product(Red) colour is much nicer than the old; more burgundy, less fire-engine!

zen

macrumors 68000
Jun 26, 2003
Very dumb question here - does the new Nano have a scroll wheel like the old one, or a click wheel like the shuffle? The website says click wheel, but surely it wouldn't be such a step backwards?

emptyCup

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2005
does the new Nano have a scroll wheel like the old one, or a click wheel like the shuffle?

It has a scroll wheel. The screen is amazingly watchable. It is no wider than a credit card (but shorter). The pastel colors are nice. And it is thin. All Apple products are nicer in person than in pictures.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Altoids box perfect for new nano in iPod sock! With buds!

Put 3G in an iPod sock, fold over the edge, put it into Altoids rectangular box, there is room on top for the earbuds wire coiled up, and the buds fit in empty space left over. Altoids + Apple are winners again :)

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Put 3G in an iPod sock, fold over the edge, put it into Altoids rectangular box, there is room on top for the earbuds wire coiled up, and the buds fit in empty space left over. Altoids + Apple are winners again :)

Nice! :)

I like it too, and I also got a 2G (used) in the early summer, about 4 months ago... Ahh well. I'm happy with my 2G. :)

dhlvrsn

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2006
I think that part of the problem is that it's not like the other iPods that have been released. I was shocked at how light and it felt. I was expecting either a stumpy 5.5G or a stumpy fat 2G Nano... It's neither. Great form factor. I looked at the Nano first so when I got to the Classic I was totally underwhelmed. Made the Nano look even better. When I finally got my hands on a Touch, after waiting years..., it was OK. I just can't see a video device with such low RAM. So long story short the Nano is the only iPod that hit mark in my opinion.

MattG

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
The TV commercials really don't do it justice...I walked into the Apple Store yesterday and wanted one so bad :) They're so tiny and thin, and the screen is brilliant.

Tom B.

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2006
London
I can't believe some people still think the new nanos look weird. This should be a lesson to us all; never doubt Apple's design decisions based on our first impressions, unless you have actually held it in your hand and used it for real. :)

Very dumb question here - does the new Nano have a scroll wheel like the old one, or a click wheel like the shuffle? The website says click wheel, but surely it wouldn't be such a step backwards?

The new nano has a click wheel. Every iPod with a screen since the iPod mini has had a click wheel (except for the iPhone and touch). Only iPods before the mini had scroll wheels.

CalBoy

macrumors 604
Original poster
May 21, 2007
The new nano has a click wheel. Every iPod with a screen since the iPod mini has had a click wheel. Only iPods before the mini had scroll wheels.

Oh I'd say the touch doesn't fall into that category;)

LLPE33

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2003
Yeah, I started a a thread that sank pretty quickly, but I was never a fan of the original nano design. I thought it was too tall and narrow, like a premature iPod and then a mini with an eating disorder. When I first saw the new nano it seemed like the natural and practical take on a smaller or "mini" iPod. It's what the mini or nano should have looked like from the beginning to me. Apparently, I'm the only one who thought so...

I got my RED on Thursday and LOVE it. The screen is really very watchable despite its size. I was telling my wife about how amazing it the evolution of the portable viewing devices. I remember portable handheld TVs from the '80s and even early '90s that were understandably bulky due to the limits of technology, but the image quality was pratically non-existent. Now I watched the only two videos I have on the iPod (McCartney's "Nod Your Head" and Dave Matthews' "Eh Heh"...both free) and the clarity of the screen is amazing. That said I'm not going to watching much at all as it's for my music collection that is about 13X it's actual capacity, but I don't mind exchanging capacity for dependability (I've had really bad luck with teh HD iPods).

CalBoy

macrumors 604
Original poster
May 21, 2007
Damn, you got me there. :eek:
Time for an edit...
I like how I was the reason you listed:p
Yeah, I started a a thread that sank pretty quickly, but I was never a fan of the original nano design. I thought it was too tall and narrow, like a premature iPod and then a mini with an eating disorder.

Hmm. I liked the old nano too. I haven't really seen an iPod design that I didn't like(except for maybe the very first gen).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.