PDA

View Full Version : used 15" powerbook...how much would you pay?

dcp063
Oct 1, 2007, 01:00 AM
someone in my area is selling a 15" powerbook on craiglist. here's the post:

have a 15" Apple Powerbook G4 for sale. The laptop looks slick, so beautiful, 10 Months old and still has 26 Months of Apple Care warranty.
Specs include 1.67Ghz G4 PowerPC Processor, 1 GB of RAM, 100 GB Hard Drive (5400 RPM), 15.2 inch Display , Airport Extreme (802.11G WiFi), Mac OSX Tiger 10.4.9, Microsoft Office 2004.

good deal, bad deal?

-thanks

Veritas&Equitas
Oct 1, 2007, 01:06 AM
I wouldn't pay myself, but a fair price would probably be $850-900ish considering AppleCare and software.

dcp063
Oct 1, 2007, 01:10 AM
thanks for the input

Veritas&Equitas <---Boondock Saints?

CalBoy
Oct 1, 2007, 01:11 AM
someone in my area is selling a 15" powerbook on craiglist. here's the post:

have a 15" Apple Powerbook G4 for sale. The laptop looks slick, so beautiful, 10 Months old and still has 26 Months of Apple Care warranty.
Specs include 1.67Ghz G4 PowerPC Processor, 1 GB of RAM, 100 GB Hard Drive (5400 RPM), 15.2 inch Display , Airport Extreme (802.11G WiFi), Mac OSX Tiger 10.4.9, Microsoft Office 2004.

good deal, bad deal?

-thanks

Is he giving you the disc for Office? If not, then you can nullify the value of it. As for a 10 month old Powerbook, it seems the only way he could have one is if he bought refurbed. Take a few dollars off for that, and I'd say a fair price, excluding Office, is probably $700. If Office includes the discs, maybe $750. I wouldn't go above that. You can get a C2D macbook for nearly the same price, and they are faster.

Eidorian
Oct 1, 2007, 01:12 AM
I'd save my money for a MacBook instead.

CalBoy
Oct 1, 2007, 01:15 AM
I'd save my money for a MacBook instead.

I swear you appear in an uncanny manner right after I've said the same thing:eek::)

Eidorian
Oct 1, 2007, 01:17 AM
I swear you appear in an uncanny manner right after I've said the same thing:eek::)I didn't notice that trend.

I find it annoying as well that people cram in all the additional software in order to boost the sale price but never transfer the license or media to the new owner. :rolleyes:

Veritas&Equitas
Oct 1, 2007, 01:19 AM
thanks for the input

Veritas&Equitas <---Boondock Saints?
One and the same ;)

I'm in law school, biding my time until I become an attorney, and would like to model the phrase in life.

Veritas Et Aequitas means "Truth and Justice." So yes, I liked the movie, but I liked the Latin phrase before seeing the movie :D

Naimfan
Oct 1, 2007, 01:25 AM
This is a pretty common scam--once you email, you'll get an email back saying they've moved to England (or somewhere else out of country), etc.....

If you search in other areas, you'll see the exact same Powerbook listed...

CalBoy
Oct 1, 2007, 01:26 AM
I didn't notice that trend.
It's just that both of us advise macbooks over Powerbooks (as these threads do pop up about every fifteen seconds:p).

I find it annoying as well that people cram in all the additional software in order to boost the sale price but never transfer the license or media to the new owner. :rolleyes:
It really is a con in a way. Sure the computer has Office, but if you don't have possesion of the discs, you have nothing.

I'm in law school, biding my time until I become an attorney, and would like to model the phrase in life.

Don't forget to use the one time Student Developer deal to get yourself a pimped out MBP before law school ends;)
</off topic>

crazycat
Oct 1, 2007, 04:05 AM
Unless you would be using this laptop for gaming or for video editing you should get a macbook, if you are going to use it for video editing then you should get a macbook pro. Bootcamp, faster processor, VMWare and your macbook pro would be worth more when the new macs comes around.

RedTomato
Oct 1, 2007, 04:14 AM
I only buy second hand laptops if I can see and test them in person before handing the money over. Meet in a public place, like a cafe or starbucks, and take reasonable care.

bertpalmer
Oct 1, 2007, 05:07 AM
I'd pay a max of 500 ($250) simply because it is a G4 processor and if you're buying a pro laptop then a lot of the apps for mac are optimised for the intel processors.

GavinTing
Oct 1, 2007, 08:17 AM
I only buy second hand laptops if I can see and test them in person before handing the money over. Meet in a public place, like a cafe or starbucks, and take reasonable care.

Personally, I prefer meeting in more cosy alleyways. Cash only of course. :D

foidulus
Oct 1, 2007, 10:57 AM
I'd pay a max of 500 ($250) simply because it is a G4 processor and if you're buying a pro laptop then a lot of the apps for mac are optimised for the intel processors.

Who does your foreign exchange? I want in on some of that 2 quid a buck action :P

McBob
Oct 1, 2007, 11:16 AM
Who does your foreign exchange? I want in on some of that 2 quid a buck action :P

U mean 2 buck a quid, bit more atm i think! I really wouldn't bother with the old line of powerbooks myself. Stick with intel as the earliest that way you may be able to sell it on again in a few years for a small amount and apple will surley still be supporting the processors in the software side of things.

Robxx