PDA

View Full Version : noobie playlist creation question

makaveli25
Oct 1, 2007, 04:57 AM
i am using itunes for the first time with my new ipod touch.
i have created a playlist of the genre hip-hop
then i created one of the genre r&b and i created a seperate one for the genre rap.

i want all 3 in one giant playlist, so i created a new playlist and put in the 3 playlists as the criteria for the smart playlist.

the thing is that the new playlist (the giant one i want) is now empty...not sure why.....if i take out r&b from the criteria i get all the other tracks put into my playlist but as soon as i add r&b playlist to my giant playlist, i somehow lose all my tracks.

i dont understand why, it must be something pretty simple. i've tried some playlist tutorials, but nothing i've tried gets around this problem.

can anyone please help.....

also, i'm looking to do something similar with the genres rock,alternative and a couple of other genres into one giant playlist also at a later stage.

:confused:

emptyCup
Oct 1, 2007, 05:23 AM
I am assuming that these are all smart play lists. I would have to see your criteria to know what the problem is. However, it should be something like:

ANY of the following:

Genre is Hip-Hop
Genre is R&B
Genre is Rap

with Smart Updating. Hope this helps.

Cinematographer
Oct 1, 2007, 05:29 AM
Make sure to change the following entry from "all" to "any":

Cinematographer
Oct 1, 2007, 05:33 AM
By the way, if you put the three smart playlists into one folder, this folder will be that one giant playlist you're looking for.

makaveli25
Oct 1, 2007, 05:50 AM
yeah, all of the playlists i have created are smart playlists. each smart playlist for a particuular genre. then i wanted to combine some of the genres into one. so i created a new smart playlist and the first criteria is playlist and then i chose the playlist rap, then i clicked the "+" button and went to the second critera and chose playlist and chose hip-hop

then i chose live updating.
i didnt change any of the other default settings in the playlist settings.
i click "ok" and it showed me my songs
then i went back into the smart playlist to edit it and added a third constraint which was "playlist" is "r&b"
then i clicked ok, and my playlists suddenly had no tracks in it.

i then went into edit the playlist and took out the r&b critera and clicked "ok" and my tracks turned back up (minus the r&b ones of course)

so i'm not sure what the actual cause is here, is there some sort of limit i dont know about or something?

makaveli25
Oct 1, 2007, 06:08 AM
Make sure to change the following entry from "all" to "any":

that worked !!!!!
changing all to "any"
i'm so happy now

thankyou thankyou thankyou thankyou thankyou thankyou thankyou
:D

Cinematographer
Oct 1, 2007, 06:52 AM
ANY of the following:

Genre is Hip-Hop
Genre is R&B
Genre is Rap

Thanks as well to emptyCup, who suggested this solution 6 minutes earlier. :o:);)