Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

donmei

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 8, 2007
Hi all,

I'm about ready to replace my tired old 3g ipod. I'm trying to decide between the 5g or a new classic. I'm happy to pay the money for the classic, however I'm a bit concerned about the interface.

I have no desire to view cover art. Just give me a textual screen that can show a lot more info than CoverFlow can.

I've also heard that the new Classic is much slower responding than the 5th gen product.

So my questions are this:
1) is it possible to turn off cover flow on the Classic?
2) if so, does the response improve to the point where its as responsive as the 5g procuct.

Thanks,

Don

RumMunkey

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2006
Canada
I don't own a classic but I have played with one in the store a few times. You can't "turn off" cover flow, but you don't have to use that view

You can still choose to navigate your iPod by artist, or genre or by song.

Tom B.

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2006
London
Cover flow is just one option from the 'Music' menu, so you never have to use it if you don't want to.
However, if you have no album art at all, the 5G would be much better for you, at least in terms of software, but obviously not hardware-wise.

For example, the now playing screen on 5G iPods uses the whole width of the screen for text if you have no album art, but on the iPod classic, if you don't have album art, it still shows a placeholder graphic where the album art would be.

yetanotherdave

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2007
Bristol, England
Bear in mind that the low end classic has the same capacity as the high end 5G. And better battery life. Unless the 5G has something very specific you want that the calssic doen't give you, I'd get the newest one (classic)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.