Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
People always ask where people have gotten RAM from... I'd like to know where people have gotten RAM that have caused OS X to have problems.

arn

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
hmmm , arn is this the precursor of something like the buyers guide except negativve like dontbuy.macrumors.com?

I got my memory from 18004memory.com and they had great service cheap shipping and the module worked fine.

I don't have any bad ram horror stories...i think some ppl just prefer the safety of name brand....for that same reason my friend will only buy sony home stereo components....he spends more and gets less in the long run....

Xero

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2002
Los Angeles
And Sony isnt even that good! :p

my best suggestion about ram is to stay away from "Generic" and "In House" brand ram. trust me, it sucks, no matter where you get it from.

hugemullens

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2002
Michigan
I got some "Centon"i belive is the brand name from Circuit City for my powermac and OS X went nuts, it would take over an hour to do the memory test on the hardware test disk and it crashed alot, took it out and it went back to normal. I only use crucial now.

maxvamp

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2002
Somewhere out there
Pro and Con

I have had luck with memory from Circuit City. The brand started with C, but I don't remember what the name was. It is often a rebatable item here.

The CompUSA brand and PNY brands have also worked well. They were purchased from CompUSA though.

Also, I have had good luck with Crucial DDR400 sticks, but I do not remember the vendor. It may have been 1800memory...

Finally.. DO NOT BUY FROM DCCSALES.com!!! I purchased memory from them, advertised as working in Apple machines, and they sent three sticks of bad memory ( two for the G4, and one for the iBook ). When I went to exchange the memory, they wanted to tell me they wouldn't exchange it, as I must have ordered incompatable memory. Funny how I only ordered memory as advertised by them for Apple. When I said that I wanted my money back, they wanted a hefty restocking fee.
It took me working with VISA to get my cash back.

Avoid them at all costs!!

Hope this helps.
Max.

Waluigi

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2003
Connecticut
Never Buy JetRam

I bought over a thousand dollars of JetRam to upgrade 30 compaq's at work (I thought the price was a great deal). It was the worst expierence I have ever had. The computers worked before the 'upgrade', and again after I returned the evil JetRam, and got real working ram. I don't know if they make ram for macs, but if they do, DO NOT BUY!

--Waluigi

MacUser1

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2001
New York, NY
macmall

i think it was macmall or macwarehouse, not sure (when they sold "their" ram, not kingston or whatever they do now), but we ordered some RAM from there for my mother's dual usb ibook 500 and we had a horrible time trying to get it to work. after 2 or 3 sticks they finally sent out a stick that worked in the ibook.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.