PDA

View Full Version : New iPod Classic Owners - A Question

M3G4
Oct 1, 2007, 01:14 PM
Hey all,

I was just wondering if the new iPod classic owners in here would be able to tell me if Apple have improved the on-board amplifier on the iPod Classic?

The reason I ask is I have a 1st Gen iPod video, and whenever I switch on Loudness/Bass Boost, the onboard amplifier distorts like a bitch to the point it's pretty much shutting itself off if there's too much bass. (And no, it's not my headphones distorting!). Does the iPod Classic do the same?

MattG
Oct 1, 2007, 03:01 PM
Honestly, I don't use my iPod with headphones all that often, so I can't comment. I don't think it sounds bad...I just usually use mine with some sort of amp.

mcvaughan
Oct 1, 2007, 05:07 PM
I was listening to mine over the weekend and did detect some distortion when using one of the built-in EQ settings (Electronic, in this case). I wasn't sure if it was just the el cheapo headphones given to us, or not.

Puckboy
Oct 3, 2007, 12:16 PM
I think the chips inside the iPod were changed starting from the 5G version. I believe the 6G classic uses the same, or better, chips (there is a report that says the sound quality is worse on the 6G, but it's VERY minor and undetectable to most, and I haven't noticed it).

I personally don't use the EQ settings, mostly b/c I prefer to listen to the tunes the way the artist/producer intended for us to hear them. To get the "proper" bass output, I use a pair of Sony MDR-V600 headphones at my desk, and Creative EP-630 earbuds on the road. Bottom line, test the iPod output with a decent (not necessarily *expensive*) pair of head/ear-phones, and you'll find out pretty quickly whether or not it works for you.