Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

BetaNews claims that Microsoft will be introducing the Zune 2 on Tuesday.

The second major revision to the Zune music player will introduce flash-based players.
Entering the flash-based device market is very important for Microsoft, as the category is by far the most popular. While the Zune has managed to grab a 10 percent share of the HDD player segment, overall that has amounted to about a 3 percent share of the market in general.
The main design of the hard drive based Zunes are expected to be similar to current designs (but thinner). The flash-based players, however, will measure 3" x 1.25" and look similar to the iPod nano. The flash Zunes are also said to support Wi-Fi and higher storage than competing products.

The new Zunes are expected to be available in November.

Article Link

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Just what we all need, more choices.

classic
nano
touch
shuffle
Zune :rolleyes:

Muzzway

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2007
Nah, it'll be the Powerbook G5. :)

Anyway, I wonder when Microsoft will add mac support, if ever (not that I particularly want a Zune :rolleyes:).

iToaster

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2007
In front of my MacBook Pro
I can never figure out quite why, but Zune just never seemed so attractive. All in all, I have seen one in person, and it was nasty lookin'. One last thing I can't work out, Zune just isn't as catchy as iPod...

BiikeMike

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2005
Is it realistic that they can top 8gb and remain competitive with the Nanos? Or top 16gb and compete with the touch? hmm

How much does M$ want to overtake Apple? why not a 32gb open source touch Zune. Sure, they may lose a few hundred million in the deal, but who cares right?

Luis

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2006
Costa Rica
How much does M$ want to overtake Apple? why not a 32gb open source touch Zune. Sure, they may lose a few hundred million in the deal, but who cares right?

So this gets me wondering on how much Microsoft wants to risk... But the thing is that if they wanted to risk much wouldn't they have done it with the first Zune? Or did they want to sense the market first?

monke

macrumors 65816
May 30, 2005
If they look anything like the 'leaked' pictures, they're going to end up looking like a long turd. Never mind the wide ones.

zune-v2.jpg

Have they not noticed that most of the market is going wide?
Geez, long was soo two months ago. :rolleyes:

manram24

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2007
wow
the zune is a complete copy of any ipod and with never be as good or better than the ipod
the ipod is the top seller and will stay on top of the charts for as long as we live

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
I can picture Microsoft taking a really Apple-like approach to this announcement.

-Steve Ballmer, in tight-fitting turtle-neck.

-Polished powerpoint presentation telling us how much of the market (*for plays beginning with the letter 'Z') Microsoft has captured since the first Zune launch.

-"Today we have some new Zunes for you. but you know what, it's all about ADS. ADS, ADS, ADS! Come on, let me her you all! ADS! ADS! ADS!" *takes a few minutes to recover from energetic whooping and general playing to the crowd*

-"Um, so yeah, here's our new Zune ad!"

-Lights dim. The new Zunes appear in a classy sillouette on screen. A gentle hush reverberates around the room as the anticipation of a new, sleek, classy, elegant product becomes, for a moment, a prospect that could actually happen. But then the music starts playing as brightness ramps up on screen:

#Zune - just one squirt and then my heart went boom
Suddenly and we were on the moon
Flyin' high in a brownish sky-y, oh-oh-oh-oh
Bang - just one touch and my media files rang
Heaven called and all the artists sang
Sunrise shine in a midnight sky-y-y, oh-oh-oh-oh

Zune - you chased HDs away-ay-ay-ay-ay
High-igh-igh-igh noo-oo-oon
The flash memory came out to play-ay
The-e-en - my whole wide world went zune
WiFi dancin' in the afternoon
Shadows flowin' as the roses bloom
Lookin' down on a wo-onderla-a-and, oh-oh-oh-oh

Smack - one iPod and I was outta wack
All at once, there was no turnin' back
Oh so far above the brownest star-ar-ar, oh-oh-oh-oh

Zune - you chased the day away-ay-ay-ay-ay
The flash memory came out to play
Zune -you chased HDs away-ay-ay-ay-ay
And the-e-en - my whole wide world went zune

Not just an Apple as we went flyin' by
Faster and faster, we were higher than high
For once in my lifetime, I was finally free-ee
But DRM came back to me!

Oh-oh-oh-oh, zoo-oo-une
You chased Nanos away-ay-ay-ay-ay
Oh-oh-oh-oh, zoo-oo-une
You chased Shuffles away-ay-ay-ay-ay
Oh-oh-oh-oh, zoo-oo-une
You chased iPods away-ay-ay-ay-ay
The flash memory came out to play...
#

La Porta

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2006
Well there's two sides to this: if it is flash-based and small, going up against the nano, maybe there (might) be some competition. If it is with a large screen and flash based, but with no touch screen interface, it is a waste of anyone's time now that the iPod touch is out.

Football1maniac

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2007
Personally, I think the new Service Pack for Vista would be more exciting...Oh well, I guess good 'ol Bill just wants to throw his money somewhere else:rolleyes:

Long Live The One (And Only) Apple iPod!:apple:

pinksatin

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2007
columbus.ohio
zune zucks

I just wish the iPod could squirt like the zune... I have always wanted an mp3 player that squirts songs... squirting sounds fun... squirt squirt squirt... Microsoft will never be hip... or trendy... or cool...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.