PDA

View Full Version : Help! I just bought a PowerMac G5 off craigslist and it has issues!

9Charms
Oct 2, 2007, 12:15 AM
Help! I just bought a Power Mac G5 off craigslist and it has issues!

1. It has an annoying high-pitched whine. Occasionally it whines and beeps. Usually only happens when I do something (anything) on the machine (other than typing). So scrolling through webpages, moving windows around, mostly involving screen-redraws. The sound has lessened since I turned Processor Performance to "Highest" and is reduced even further at "Reduced" Through trial and error and replacing components, I don't think it's the hard drive and I don't think it's the graphics card (GeForce FX 5200). Any ideas? Could it be a fan? Is there any down side to running the G5 at "reduced"?

2. It won't sleep. Well, I should say it will sleep, but it won't wake up. Shortly after entering sleep mode, the fans go on full blast and it won't wake up anymore. I have reset the PMU and PRAM and unplugged it for days, no luck.

3. The sensor that senses when the plastic cover is on doesn't work properly. I have shoved a piece of paper in there to break the beam, but it doesn't always work and I have to wiggle it a couple of times if I bump the tower. Any instructions on how to remove/disable it?

4. There also seems to be a regular low-sounding beep at 1 second intervals. I have no idea what this might mean. Is this bad?

5. Lastly the fans seem to be making a "chugging" sound, not the smooth spinning sound. Any concern here?

Of note the G5 was very very very dusty when I got it. I used a lot of compressed air to clean it. Could I have damaged something in that process?

Machine specs:

Dual 2.0 G5 "Omega"
1 GHz FSB
Firmware 5.1.4
3.5 GB RAM (2x 1GB, 2x 512MB, 2x 256MB)
160 GB HD
Geforce FX 5200
Airport Express card
Pioneer DVR 106D (defective burner)
USB 2.0 PCI card 5 port

I paid $600 for it, so it seemed like a good deal at the time.

Should I just go through the machine and grease all the fans? Will that solve my problems?

irontony
Oct 2, 2007, 12:42 AM
The whining, chirping and beeping sounds are Normal 1st Gen G5 sounds. I have the same "issue". The Only option to deal with it is to install CHUD Tools and then go to Sys Pref > Processor > disable "allow nap" everytime you turn on the G5. Also setting Processor Performance to Highest also helps.

Dont worry about the compressed air - it'll be fine

"Chugging" fans? They should be smooth

Old Pioneer DVD can easily be replaced for a newer one - I did without any hassles

I cant comment on the plastic sensor or the wake issue you have

statikcat
Oct 2, 2007, 07:48 AM
I guess it is too late to tell you to stay away from first gen G5. :)

Kosh66
Oct 2, 2007, 03:43 PM
Help! I just bought a Power Mac G5 off craigslist and it has issues!

1. It has an annoying high-pitched whine. Occasionally it whines and beeps. Usually only happens when I do something (anything) on the machine (other than typing). So scrolling through webpages, moving windows around, mostly involving screen-redraws. The sound has lessened since I turned Processor Performance to "Highest" and is reduced even further at "Reduced" Through trial and error and replacing components, I don't think it's the hard drive and I don't think it's the graphics card (GeForce FX 5200). Any ideas? Could it be a fan? Is there any down side to running the G5 at "reduced"?

A known problem with first generation G5s, as the first replier mentions.

2. It won't sleep. Well, I should say it will sleep, but it won't wake up. Shortly after entering sleep mode, the fans go on full blast and it won't wake up anymore. I have reset the PMU and PRAM and unplugged it for days, no luck.

That's a kernel panic or crash. Fans always go full speed in a kernel panic as MacOS software controls the fan speed and MacOS isn't in control then. When MacOS isn't in control, by default the fans go high speed - common in kernel crashes, hardware test mode, and firmware updates.

You'd have to figure out why it kernel panics when it goes to sleep. You could try checking the panic log for what's causing it, but there are generic kernel panics that don't tell you much.

3. The sensor that senses when the plastic cover is on doesn't work properly. I have shoved a piece of paper in there to break the beam, but it doesn't always work and I have to wiggle it a couple of times if I bump the tower. Any instructions on how to remove/disable it?

You could paint or white out the plastic tab (it's a tab on the cover that controls this) on the plastic cover in one of the bottom corners I believe. Apparently the paint or opaque substance on the plastic tab on the plastic cover has worn off.

4. There also seems to be a regular low-sounding beep at 1 second intervals. I have no idea what this might mean. Is this bad?

5. Lastly the fans seem to be making a "chugging" sound, not the smooth spinning sound. Any concern here?

Maybe the fans are starting to wear out.

Of note the G5 was very very very dusty when I got it. I used a lot of compressed air to clean it. Could I have damaged something in that process?

The G5 circulates alot of air so it does get dusty. Cleaning it out is a good thing, but you have a good idea/worry to be careful. I think your ok with compressed air.

FireArse
Oct 2, 2007, 03:50 PM
Have you run the diagnotic test(s) supplied with the machine?

crazzyeddie
Oct 2, 2007, 03:51 PM
For the sleep issue try removing the USB card. It might be an issue with letting the system sleep. Also try taking out that burner if it doesn't work. Just one more thing to cause issues...

Kosh66
Oct 2, 2007, 08:20 PM
Does the burner work at all? Ie can it read DVDs and CDs?

Hopefully you have the system disks as that is where you will find the hardware test.

Eric5h5
Oct 2, 2007, 08:56 PM
Is there any down side to running the G5 at "reduced"?

It goes slower....

--Eric

9Charms
Oct 3, 2007, 02:15 AM
Have you run the diagnotic test(s) supplied with the machine?

As typical with craiglist machines, no discs are supplied... can I download one somewhere?

Does the burner work at all? Ie can it read DVDs and CDs?

It'll read DVD's but always errors when burning DVD or CD. I'm using Toast 8. I have a few new coasters now...

It goes slower....

--Eric

Thanks Eric... I figured as much! Would it then be equivalent to a Dual 1.5 GHz G5?

Thanks for everyone else as well! I'll give the other suggestions a shot. BTW, how do I locate the panic logs?

disconap
Oct 3, 2007, 04:10 AM
You can request discs from Apple. You can also order a replacement sticker for the plastic case, but you can make one yourself, google around a bit for that (I remember reading how to do it a while back).

I have a first gen G5 and it works perfectly, same model as yours, except mine has the Radeon gpu. So I can't help with the whine and whirrs, other than suggesting you fix that sticker, since I know they act weird when in "safe" mode (and only perform at 1.3gHz).

I can possibly solve your toast problem; your drive writes DVDs at 4X max. When using 8X dvds, the ROM on the drive automatically tells toast that 4X is the fastest you can write. When using 16X dvds, it does not (it's a problem with all drives under 16X in macs, as far as I have been told). If you select 4X in the write speed pull down menu, they should write fine...

I also second removing the USB card. It's probably not supported (though it will still work, I have a similar one in my G4). Either way, a hub is a better solution for the G5, and even without the card you have 3 ports...

disconap
Oct 3, 2007, 04:19 AM
Also, since I own the same model as you, it is possible that my hardware test disk will work with your comp. I can try to create a disc image and put it up on yousendit for you, provided that is legal. I do not know if it is; it's not an install disc, so it could be ok, but it might not.

MOD NOTE--Please delete this post if this breaks any rules. Also, if you are so inclined, please PM me and let me know if this is not legal to do.

9Charms
Oct 4, 2007, 12:37 AM
Okay, it's been a busy night. Here's a summary.

1. I taped some tin foil to the plastic cover where the label came off. I put the shiny side outwards for the reflectivity and now all is well.

2. I removed the USB PCI card, DVD drive and the Airport extreme card and tested one at a time to see if it would kernal panic in sleep. To make a long story short, the sleep problem magically went away. My theory is the magic tin-foil fixed everything.

3. CD burning seems to work fine at 8x but DVD burning still doesn't work at any speed. Reading from the drive seems to work just fine. I thought that if the drive is broken then reading from the drive would be broken as well. Can anyone shed some light?

4. How the heck can I reduce the processor whine? It's high-pitched, loud, and very annoying. If it didn't have that, I would really love this machine. It does everything I need. Google seems to only say that back in 2004 Apple would send replacements to customers if they weren't happy... What should I do?

9Charms
Oct 6, 2007, 01:08 AM
Anyone? Anyway to reduce processor whine/beeps/highpitch noise?

irontony
Oct 6, 2007, 06:52 AM
Anyone? Anyway to reduce processor whine/beeps/highpitch noise?

The Only option to deal with it is to install "CHUD Tools" and then go to Sys Pref > Processor > disable "allow nap" everytime you turn on the G5. Also setting Processor Performance to Highest also helps.

Google CHUD Tools and it'll take you to Apples Developer site. (Note you will have to of installed the Developer Tools first to install CHUD)

zakatov
Oct 6, 2007, 01:03 PM
The Only option to deal with it is to install "CHUD Tools" and then go to Sys Pref > Processor > disable "allow nap" everytime you turn on the G5. Also setting Processor Performance to Highest also helps.

Google CHUD Tools and it'll take you to Apples Developer site. (Note you will have to of installed the Developer Tools first to install CHUD)

keep in mind that disbling nap will make the CPUs run hotter, so the G5 will use more power and be louder cooling the beasts

9Charms
Oct 9, 2007, 10:45 AM
Wow!! Disabling NAP works like a charm! The annoying whine/squeak is gone. I even made an applescript that starts up automatically so I don't have to go in and change it everytime.

The only downside to this is my fans run a little louder, but it's a constant noise and sure beats whines and squeaks. It's the same level of noise as your typical PC tower, so it's really no big deal.

Thanks everyone for your help! I was thinking of dumping this machine because of these "issues" but now I'm very happy with my purchase, especially the price!

irontony
Oct 13, 2007, 02:21 AM
Wow!! Disabling NAP works like a charm! The annoying whine/squeak is gone. I even made an applescript that starts up automatically so I don't have to go in and change it everytime.

Congrates, Very glad you are happy with it now. Any chance can you PM me as I cant find any working scripts to automatically do it, and Im too lazy to actually create one myself.

Joe The Dragon
Oct 13, 2007, 01:50 PM
Okay, it's been a busy night. Here's a summary.

1. I taped some tin foil to the plastic cover where the label came off. I put the shiny side outwards for the reflectivity and now all is well.

2. I removed the USB PCI card, DVD drive and the Airport extreme card and tested one at a time to see if it would kernal panic in sleep. To make a long story short, the sleep problem magically went away. My theory is the magic tin-foil fixed everything.

3. CD burning seems to work fine at 8x but DVD burning still doesn't work at any speed. Reading from the drive seems to work just fine. I thought that if the drive is broken then reading from the drive would be broken as well. Can anyone shed some light?

4. How the heck can I reduce the processor whine? It's high-pitched, loud, and very annoying. If it didn't have that, I would really love this machine. It does everything I need. Google seems to only say that back in 2004 Apple would send replacements to customers if they weren't happy... What should I do?
You don't need the usb card in the g5 and some of them don't work that well with sleep mode.

9Charms
Oct 17, 2007, 03:23 PM
Congrates, Very glad you are happy with it now. Any chance can you PM me as I cant find any working scripts to automatically do it, and Im too lazy to actually create one myself.

It's all explained on this page: http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/G5/G5_noise_tips.html

You don't need the usb card in the g5 and some of them don't work that well with sleep mode.

The USB 2 card works fine ever since the tin-foil fix... no sleep issues at all. I do need the USB card because I have 2 different photo printers, the kb/mouse take up 1 whole port and I frequently plug in my digital camera as well as USB thumb drives.

A powered USB hub would take up one of the valuable electrical outlets on my UPS... and it's just clutter.