Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ste0x

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 5, 2007
Hi.

I was just wondering if the iMac G5's (the late 2005 models, last ones without isight i think) can support using a VGA/DVI monitor as a proper spanned second display with something like screen spanning doctor that works on the old iBooks, rather than just mirroring whatever is on the iMac display.

vga4life

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2004
Hi.

I was just wondering if the iMac G5's (the late 2005 models, last ones without isight i think) can support using a VGA/DVI monitor as a proper spanned second display with something like screen spanning doctor that works on the old iBooks, rather than just mirroring whatever is on the iMac display.

Works like a champ. In fact, it's the same patch as the old iBooks - Screen Spanning Doctor, FTW.

Luap

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2004
I used this on my Rev a G5 iMac. Works so well that you have to wonder why Apple didnt do it themselves.. Actually, I could answer that, but I cant be bothered.

Dave00

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2003
Pittsburgh
Anyone have a bad experience doing this on an iMac G5 (the ones before the iSight)? I'd been told it could hurt the mother board - which is an issue because I've already had one go bad. But, I'd really like a second monitor to use both with my iMac and my macBook, I do a lot of photo retouching.

Dave

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.