PDA

View Full Version : A Look at Leopard's Preview 4.0

MacRumors
Oct 2, 2007, 10:45 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Appleinsider gives (http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/07/10/02/road_to_mac_os_x_leopard_an_extensive_look_at_preview_3_0.html) us a close up look at Leopard's Preview application.

Beyond the basic PDF and image file viewing, Preview 4.0 adds new tools to annotate PDFs with ovals, rectangle, text notes and hyperlinks. Apple also added underline, strikeout, or highlight a text selection in the Acrobat compatible format. These additional tools, however, are not available in the default Preview toolbar. Users must customize the toolbar to have access to the new tools.

Image editing tools are also provided, including image correction, size adjustment, instant alpha, and extract shape, giving Preview an interesting subset of editing tools.

Preview 4.0 will ship with Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard which is expected to be released later this month.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/10/02/a-look-at-leopards-preview-4-0/)

Eidorian
Oct 2, 2007, 10:48 AM
I love the additional PDF annotation. I just want a few more image editing tools though. :(

The adjust color and size panels are a step in the right direction though!

Squonk
Oct 2, 2007, 10:48 AM
This sounds like excellent functionality for Preview. Can you do most or any of things in Acrobat Reader? This would be a hoot if Apple gave us these tools for free and Adobe does not.

P-Worm
Oct 2, 2007, 10:50 AM
This is excellent. It is quite often that I want to make a quick change to a picture or something before I email it to someone. I usually have to open up Photoshop Elements or something, and the hassle isn't worth what I get from it. Having some simple tools in Preview would be great for me.

P-Worm

Seidoger
Oct 2, 2007, 10:53 AM
It's a welcomed thing you can now resize pictures.. This is a common action that the current Preview.app doesn't have (well to my knowledge)

sunfast
Oct 2, 2007, 10:54 AM
This is one leopard feature I'm really looking forward to using. Going to be extremely useful for me

j-a-x
Oct 2, 2007, 10:57 AM
Awesome! I've been waiting for decent PDF annotations and the ability to resize an image without firing up Photoshop for a long time...

alljunks
Oct 2, 2007, 10:57 AM
just waiting for it to be released!!

queshy
Oct 2, 2007, 10:58 AM
I love preview just because it's so much faster than adobe's free offering.

Kipling
Oct 2, 2007, 10:59 AM
This sounds like excellent functionality for Preview. Can you do most or any of things in Acrobat Reader? This would be a hoot if Apple gave us these tools for free and Adobe does not.

Apart from the free Acrobat Reader - which allows no file modification at all –all we get from Adobe these days is Acrobat Professional, which is a whopping £459 here in the UK ($900?). Windows users get a cheaper version with fewer unnecessary functions.

Looks like Apple is kindly filling the gap.

Arisian
Oct 2, 2007, 10:59 AM
awesome, sounds great... now gimme

~Shard~
Oct 2, 2007, 11:00 AM
Excellent, I'll definitely make use of the resizing feature... :cool:

bjdku
Oct 2, 2007, 11:00 AM
this sucks. Preview should be as lightweight as possible. It should do what it implies, preview. Allowing it to open in the appropriate application from preview would be nice. I guess Apple has other things that dont do what the name implies...ah em...iTunes.

Punani
Oct 2, 2007, 11:01 AM
It's a welcomed thing you can now resize pictures.. This is a common action that the current Preview.app doesn't have (well to my knowledge)

The funny thing is that I think the system frameworks support this natively, because there's an Automator action for it.

Of course, the Automator action could have been specifically written, but still...

twoodcc
Oct 2, 2007, 11:05 AM
i'm sure this will come in handy for many.

now where are the rumors of the release date?

Simmerl
Oct 2, 2007, 11:05 AM
this sucks. Preview should be as lightweight as possible. It should do what it implies, preview. Allowing it to open in the appropriate application from preview would be nice. I guess Apple has other things that dont do what the name implies...ah em...iTunes.

A lightweight image and PDF preview is Quicklook. ^^

brianus
Oct 2, 2007, 11:07 AM

I guess QuickLook is the new Preview, huh? I just hope the new features don't make Preview any less lightweight. I'm going to miss the Drawer..

bjdku
Oct 2, 2007, 11:07 AM
A lightweight image and PDF preview is Quicklook. ^^

pretty good point.

ricosuave
Oct 2, 2007, 11:08 AM
I like the way you can add any document to the side bar. Jpegs, word files, pdfs, etc and then print or send it off as a complete pdf attatchement.

I Am Designer™
Oct 2, 2007, 11:14 AM
With the advent of Quicklook its good to see Preview.app has grown up.

If Apple had left it pretty much unaltered it would have fallen by the wayside because Ql is far more convenient as a viewer.

It good to know that I won't have to fire up Photoshop to quickly re-size an image... Though I hope that Apple have kept the application light and nimble.

MattJessop
Oct 2, 2007, 11:16 AM
Hurrah! Image Resize for the masses!

I hope against hope that it has preset size files.
Does anybody else know how insanely hard it is to get a passport sized photo exactly as it should be? (For us mere mortals that don't have Photoshop that is);)

elppa
Oct 2, 2007, 11:17 AM

As long as it launches in the same time, why should it matter.

The extra functionality doesn't get in the way of anything basic and no functionality has been lost.

suneohair
Oct 2, 2007, 11:18 AM
Some folks at think secret were taking the position that this can't replace Photoshop and Acrobat Pro. While I agree, I would rather fire up preview and do some quick things rather than Photoshop.

Also, Preview is still lightweight, all the additional tools are hidden unless you want them. And you don't have to use any of the stuff, you can still preview just like you do today.

mkaake
Oct 2, 2007, 11:20 AM
The ability to finally add / subtract / move pages within pdf documents means that I can drop at least 1 more app from my computer :)

And having instant alpha available w/in preview will save me some time firing up the Gimp...

<edit>

and linking! finally!

FoxyKaye
Oct 2, 2007, 11:26 AM
Hmmm... Sounds like Apple is starting to move Preview into the space between Adobe Reader and Acrobat. This seems like an excellent idea - I wonder how Preview will develop during Leopard updates and into 10.6? Looking forward to trying this out - so much better than additional visualizations in iTunes.

Stella
Oct 2, 2007, 11:35 AM
Preview will prove to be a great tool, the enhancements are really good for the average user wanting to do day to day image manipulation tasks.

You can see the integration between iPhoto ( all the image manipulation controls ) and Preview, sharing common modules.

nitrokev
Oct 2, 2007, 11:42 AM
Does anyone know if 3rd party files will work with quick look.. Being able to view a Quark or Indesign file on any Mac would be HUGE for me, hopefully Apple will allow 3rd party plugins for unsupported files

ChrisA
Oct 2, 2007, 11:44 AM
The funny thing is that I think the system frameworks support this natively, because there's an Automator action for it.

Of course, the Automator action could have been specifically written, but still...

I think this functionality comes from Core Image. What they seem to have done is written a GUI that allows easy access to these functions. I can see the argument for keeping Preview "clean" without adding a million buttons and drop down pannels so they made "clean" the default. The user is required to emable the extra stuff. So "beast of both worlds" the user can get whichever he wants.

Automator actions may as well be available for EVERY feature the Core Image provides. There is no reason not to because Automator Actions do not clutter the user interface and will only be seen by sophisticated users who are looking for the functions in the documentation.

DavidCar
Oct 2, 2007, 11:45 AM
...and linking! finally!

It doesn't appear it will be able to link multiple PDFs, only to another page inside the PDF, or to an external URL. Too bad, because I'm looking for a way to link multiple PDFs.

odinsride
Oct 2, 2007, 11:45 AM
I just wish they would make preview work so that when you open a picture in a directory, you can flip through all other images in that directory, without having to select all images in finder. I have replaced Preview with Xee for this very reason on my systems.

I Am Designer™
Oct 2, 2007, 11:47 AM
Does anyone know if 3rd party files will work with quick look.. Being able to view a Quark or Indesign file on any Mac would be HUGE for me, hopefully Apple will allow 3rd party plugins for unsupported files

Yes it is - at WWDC (06 i think) Apple said that developers would be able to integrate their own applications and file types...

Im looking forward to showing Indesign / Photoshop / any design work via Quicklook in iChat theatre to clients - it's just up to Adobe to integrate it...

michaelrjohnson
Oct 2, 2007, 11:53 AM
This is a pretty sophisticated step for what was once a simple image viewing application.

I am *very* excited about the drag'n'drop reordering/addition of PDF pages. I do this all the time, and the best tool to do this is still Acrobat Professional. Sure, there are some 3rd party alternatives, but this new Preview will be free!

Overall, I am very excited about it. Now, I just need a new computer to run Leopard.

B. Hunter
Oct 2, 2007, 11:55 AM
It doesn't appear it will be able to link multiple PDFs, only to another page inside the PDF, or to an external URL. Too bad, because I'm looking for a way to link multiple PDFs.

What about PDFLab?
If I understand correctly you can link multiple PDFs together with this.
And it still free I think.

MrCrowbar
Oct 2, 2007, 11:57 AM

Yes, Apple encourages devs to make plugins for quicklook. It will probably not work from day one, but the major ones already work.

Doctor Q
Oct 2, 2007, 12:00 PM
I'm glad Apple paid some attention to Preview. I'm not sure why, but I find that I spend a lot of time in Preview, often for a quick look at some document or other.

crossifixio
Oct 2, 2007, 12:01 PM
This is really good and looks to be very helpful for students like me who read a great deal of articles and need to highlight and discuss certain parts :):apple:

DavidCar
Oct 2, 2007, 12:13 PM
What about PDFLab?
If I understand correctly you can link multiple PDFs together with this.
And it still free I think.

Thanks for the suggestion of PDFLab. However, I located the website and found that it doesn't do links.

"PDFLab lets you split and join PDF documents as well as insert images and blank pages. You will also be able to easily create PDF documents out of several images."

Pages '08 doesn't allow multi-PDF links either, unfortunately.

Orng
Oct 2, 2007, 12:19 PM
I've always hated Preview; I go to open a jpeg or an eps or something and suddenly it's opening in Preview. If I saved it in photoshop, or someone else did, then no problem. But if it's from another application that I don't have, it opens in Preview by default and I have to right click and "open with" to make it open in Photoshop or illustrator.

I have gone into Info and selected "Always use this application (photoshop or illustrator) to open this kind of file" but inevitably, I'll get a jpeg or an EPS from a client that just has to open in preview, and then I have to close it and right click and open with...

I hope the new preview will have an option to select "I don't want Preview to open ever, under any circumstances, unless I right click and select "Open with Preview" which happens twice a year.

Multimedia
Oct 2, 2007, 12:38 PM
If anyone thinks they should wait and see how Leopard goes, this should put an end to that kind of thinking. Ability to add Hyperlinks to a PDF is a killer application.

MacFly123
Oct 2, 2007, 12:40 PM
I think this is all great but steve was going off about consistent interface design and yet this is another part of leopard that doesnt match. The buttons are different yet again uh.

Posted on my new iPod Touch :)

Blue Velvet
Oct 2, 2007, 12:43 PM
Hmmm... Sounds like Apple is starting to move Preview into the space between Adobe Reader and Acrobat.

Exactly. This is because Acrobat Elements is a minimum site licence of 100 seats and is Windows-only. Good move by Apple.

I never use it though. That's what those of us who are lucky enough to have CS3 use instead, I guess.

guzhogi
Oct 2, 2007, 12:44 PM
Something that would be nice is OCR functionality. Preferably a system-wide OCR function so you can add it to any program.

guzhogi
Oct 2, 2007, 12:48 PM

Don't know for sure, but would love it! I suggested this in other threads where maybe have an integrated spotlight/quicklook plug-in so you can find specific kinds of files and look at them. Plus, companies can provide these for free so you can use them even if you don't have the app.

Squonk
Oct 2, 2007, 12:53 PM
Apart from the free Acrobat Reader - which allows no file modification at all –all we get from Adobe these days is Acrobat Professional, which is a whopping £459 here in the UK ($900?). Windows users get a cheaper version with fewer unnecessary functions.

Looks like Apple is kindly filling the gap.

WOW!! Apple filling the gap for "basic" PDF markups for free when you'd need to buy AcroPro @ ~$900 to accomplish these tasks is very, very sweet! Thanks :apple::D:cool:

burrito
Oct 2, 2007, 12:55 PM
i spent some of my morning focusing on the new preview. i have a last-gen 17" imac dedicated to the latest leopard build. it's a nice piece of software. it appears to still be quite snappy and lightweight, probably because most of the tasks are handled by core image. it now has the same translucent grey panel used in iphoto for image manipulation. here's a screenshot:

http://i22.tinypic.com/13yf288.png

CatharticFlux
Oct 2, 2007, 01:01 PM
I like it... but will it handle animated GIFs?

xUKHCx
Oct 2, 2007, 01:05 PM
I've always hated Preview; I go to open a jpeg or an eps or something and suddenly it's opening in Preview. If I saved it in photoshop, or someone else did, then no problem. But if it's from another application that I don't have, it opens in Preview by default and I have to right click and "open with" to make it open in Photoshop or illustrator.

I have gone into Info and selected "Always use this application (photoshop or illustrator) to open this kind of file" but inevitably, I'll get a jpeg or an EPS from a client that just has to open in preview, and then I have to close it and right click and open with...

I hope the new preview will have an option to select "I don't want Preview to open ever, under any circumstances, unless I right click and select "Open with Preview" which happens twice a year.

If it bothers you that much why don't you delete Preview.

DavidCar
Oct 2, 2007, 01:06 PM
If anyone thinks they should wait and see how Leopard goes, this should put an end to that kind of thinking. Ability to add Hyperlinks to a PDF is a killer application.
I'll probably end up sending my PDFs to a friend's PC in order to create the multi-PDF links that I need.

I Am Designer™
Oct 2, 2007, 01:07 PM
i spent some of my morning focusing on the new preview. i have a last-gen 17" imac dedicated to the latest leopard build. it's a nice piece of software. it appears to still be quite snappy and lightweight, probably because most of the tasks are handled by core image. it now has the same translucent grey panel used in iphoto for image manipulation. here's a screenshot:

http://i22.tinypic.com/13yf288.png

Wow - I think thats the 1st time since I joined that someone has actually taken a useful screengrab of Leopard without having to be harrassed into it! :)

And I must say that I think (whilst looking at your screengrab) this is the first time I actually think the new dock looks great... It might be the dark background image but have Apple fixed the multiple shadow issue?

Could you do a grab of iCal?... Preferably adding a new event?... ...and maybe stacks / stacks options?... :)

Schtumple
Oct 2, 2007, 01:08 PM
I like it... but will it handle animated GIFs?

I was wondering that too

As it is preview is useless at animated gifs, anyone tested whether it actually animates now?

Trout74
Oct 2, 2007, 01:15 PM
so is it a givin' that Leopard will launch in Oct. or an assumption?

Thanks,

Trout

Stridder44
Oct 2, 2007, 01:15 PM
I think it's funny that OS X has this exquisite app for editing, viewing, and modifying pdf's/pictures but it still doesn't have a simple "Sound Recorder" app.

Garageband doesn't count. I'm talking simple, and comes with the OS.

Also, maybe throw in another game to go with Chess.

Anyway, hopefully this version of preview actually displays animated .gifs

psychofreak
Oct 2, 2007, 01:18 PM
so is it a givin' that Leopard will launch in Oct. or an assumption?
Apple has said so, personally I trust them on this one...

I think it's funny that OS X has this exquisite app for editing, viewing, and modifying pdf's/pictures but it still doesn't have a simple "Sound Recorder" app.

Its included in QT Pro...I've heard that Leopard's regular QT has full screen, so maybe it has this...

RRK
Oct 2, 2007, 01:19 PM
Also, maybe throw in another game to go with Chess.

Bring back Nanosaur!
:)

burrito
Oct 2, 2007, 01:19 PM
Wow - I think thats the 1st time since I joined that someone has actually taken a useful screengrab of Leopard without having to be harrassed into it! :)

And I must say that I think (whilst looking at your screengrab) this is the first time I actually think the new dock looks great... It might be the dark background image but have Apple fixed the multiple shadow issue?

Could you do a grab of iCal?... Preferably adding a new event?... ...and maybe stacks / stacks options?... :)

here you go-- screen caps of ical.. if we do much more of this, we're gonna need a new thread..

http://i21.tinypic.com/2h52og1.png

http://i21.tinypic.com/nwbmyq.png

http://i24.tinypic.com/fvbr06.png

http://i21.tinypic.com/fyet8y.png

psychofreak
Oct 2, 2007, 01:21 PM
Bring back Nanosaur!
:)

Fortunately new Macs come with Big Bang Board Games :)

RRK
Oct 2, 2007, 01:27 PM
Fortunately new Macs come with Big Bang Board Games :)

You mean the new OS right? I got the new iMac and it didn't come with them.

psychofreak
Oct 2, 2007, 01:29 PM
You mean the new OS right? I got the new iMac and it didn't come with them.

Odd...most Macs come with them, I guess you got something else (Quicken, Comic Life etc.)

KHP
Oct 2, 2007, 01:29 PM
i'll be "making the switch to MAC" and buying a MBP 17 (w/leopard) as soon as it's available;
to digitize 1000's of family slides and photos, i've been looking at the microtec scanmaker i900, the epson perfection V700 and the canon 8800F (all can deal 12 slides at a time and get decent reviews)...

any comments or suggestions, especially re. the pairing of leopard, the MBP and any of these (or other) scanners?

thanks, karl:confused:

burrito
Oct 2, 2007, 01:33 PM
one more for iamdesigner-- here's a pic of stacks.. it's showing my "documents" folder.. i also changed up the background to something that i took, just so you get an idea of how real life photos look with the new UI.

http://i21.tinypic.com/a3f335.png

xUKHCx
Oct 2, 2007, 01:34 PM
here you go-- screen caps of ical.. if we do much more of this, we're gonna need a new thread..

Thanks for the pics, iCal looks really nice and improved. Also Love Sin City and like to see that someone else goes to the effort to have the Cover art (for the icon i assume)

one more for iamdesigner-- here's a pic of stacks.. it's showing my "documents" folder.. i also changed up the background to something that i took, just so you get an idea of how real life photos look with the new UI.

Good picture and nice to see how the Menu bar goes into opaque mode.

I often forget how Leopard actually looks and seeing it like this makes me want it more, definitely looking forward to it's release.

burrito
Oct 2, 2007, 01:38 PM
Thanks for the pics, iCal looks really nice and improved. Also Love Sin City and like to see that someone else goes to the effort to have the Cover art (for the icon i assume)

sin city is excellentness. it is my all time favorite movie. i'm prepping this imac to be a media server for my family's macs and apple tvs, and i'm testing handbrake's presets and its performance under leopard.. and yes, the jpg is for the icon and preview image in itunes :-D

paulbaker
Oct 2, 2007, 01:46 PM
Uhmm.. Preview has kicked butt for a while now. I have trade free acrobat a ew times. It is slow and slower.

Virgil-TB2
Oct 2, 2007, 01:55 PM

Looks like Apple is kindly filling the gap.Aside from being expensive, Acrobat (full-version) is also so bloated and slow I fear my computer will crash every time I use it.

Funnily enough though, it run just as slow on my brand new iMac as it does on the old eMac or a G4 laptop. It's almost as if Adobe is actually detecting your hardware and purposely setting itself up to be a dog no matter how much memory you have. :)

Maccus Aurelius
Oct 2, 2007, 02:00 PM
sin city is excellentness. it is my all time favorite movie. i'm prepping this imac to be a media server for my family's macs and apple tvs, and i'm testing handbrake's presets and its performance under leopard.. and yes, the jpg is for the icon and preview image in itunes :-D

I'm glad to see HandBake's current build works in Leopard. I use this program almost daily, and the most recent build works spectacularly. Your iMac should get better numbers than I do with the presets with my CD 2.0 Macbook. If I choose the AppleTV preset (MPEG-4 to save time) I can get a 2+ hour movie done in about 45 minutes.

As for Preview, this is fantastic. I use it all the time as a quick image viewer, but always wanted to be able to resize it so I don't have to open CS2 (which takes a while to start on my Macbook).

Originally Posted by Orng

If your files open directly in the application you created/saved it in consistently, and only opens if you don't have the application that created the image file, why is this a problem? As someone else suggested, you could always just delete Preview, since you already have another application to handle your images.

janitorC7
Oct 2, 2007, 02:01 PM
I dont know, but I really wish that they made the icons look more like safari

quovadis
Oct 2, 2007, 02:10 PM
The additional PDF tools is great news indeed. As a Phd student, the lack of a highlighting tool in the current version of Preview is something that really bugged me.

burrito
Oct 2, 2007, 02:10 PM
shoot.. even quicktime looks snazzier and runs snappier in leopard:

http://i24.tinypic.com/m26jd.png

hotdamn
Oct 2, 2007, 02:19 PM
<chandler>
Could the menu bar BE more gray?
</chandler>

Thank you for the screenshots burrito, such a nice thing for a delicious meal to do. You're quite the tasty one, I wish I'd have you right now.

Orng
Oct 2, 2007, 02:20 PM
If your files open directly in the application you created/saved it in consistently, and only opens if you don't have the application that created the image file, why is this a problem? As someone else suggested, you could always just delete Preview, since you already have another application to handle your images.

It's mostly a problem because I have clients sending me graphics on regular basis created in who knows what and when, and even though the extension is the same, it goes to preview if it can't tell it was made in photoshop or illustrator. If i forget to right click, I get annoyed. Can't delete it though, sometimes I use it for my own stuff, or to flip through a bunch of files quickly.

Hopefuly the Leopard finder will eliminate any residual need for Preview, THEN I'll delete it. :)

megfilmworks
Oct 2, 2007, 02:27 PM
Great to see preview get these tools. Love the extract. Hopefully it will still open as quickly as before.

rented mule
Oct 2, 2007, 02:30 PM
Hopefuly the Leopard finder will eliminate any residual need for Preview, THEN I'll delete it. :)

How are you going to print preview?

Slumbercub
Oct 2, 2007, 02:32 PM
I am very pleased with these features and can't wait. I use PDFs all the time and these littleextras will be invaluable. Apple really do come up with the goods every now and then.

Will it be possible to insert additional pages or combine PDFs together, I use PDFClerk at the moment but to have something within the OS would be even better?

cliffjumper68
Oct 2, 2007, 02:39 PM

It is already much faster than adobe acrobat

robertmorris2
Oct 2, 2007, 02:40 PM

Does this buy work for ADOBE ?

offwidafairies
Oct 2, 2007, 02:53 PM
Some folks at think secret were taking the position that this can't replace Photoshop and Acrobat Pro. While I agree, I would rather fire up preview and do some quick things rather than Photoshop.

Also, Preview is still lightweight, all the additional tools are hidden unless you want them. And you don't have to use any of the stuff, you can still preview just like you do today.

I OFTEN use photoshop to scale images ready for web quality but it's so annoying because it takes so long to load. If preview can do basic things like resize, crop and change image format I'll be very happy :)

sam10685
Oct 2, 2007, 02:59 PM

Maybe they'll re-name it to 'Picture-edit'.

Peel
Oct 2, 2007, 03:11 PM
As is commonly the case with Apple products, as it gets closer to perfection it becomes easier to criticize for not fulfilling every imaginable desire.

LOL, this is so true. This must be maddening for the programmers at Apple. While they're thinking "oh, we're adding 12 great new features to this or that product, everyone will love us for this!" and then there's the inevitable, "this sucks, they should have added these other features as well. I'm not gonna use this until it's added." When all the while there was never a peep about the old version that only got better.

Maccus Aurelius
Oct 2, 2007, 03:15 PM
LOL, this is so true. This must be maddening for the programmers at Apple. While they're thinking "oh, we're adding 12 great new features to this or that product, everyone will love us for this!" and then there's the inevitable, "this sucks, they should have added these other features as well. I'm not gonna use this until it's added." When all the while there was never a peep about the old version that only got better.

Heh, just take a look at the massive bee-yotch fest when Apple's Pro software not only got better, but got significantly cheaper. lol

theBB
Oct 2, 2007, 03:18 PM
i'll be "making the switch to MAC" and buying a MBP 17 (w/leopard) as soon as it's available;
to digitize 1000's of family slides and photos, i've been looking at the microtec scanmaker i900, the epson perfection V700 and the canon 8800F (all can deal 12 slides at a time and get decent reviews)...

I like Epson's GUI better than Canon. V700 has really good reviews, but I could only afford 4490. :)

Isn't this a bit off topic though?

QCassidy352
Oct 2, 2007, 03:23 PM
Looks great. A definite improvement, and really nice overall. I'm getting very excited for leopard now. :)

mkrishnan
Oct 2, 2007, 03:25 PM

Ironically, couldn't you resize images in Panther's Preview? :o We knew Preview still had the functionality, since Automator has Preview actions for manipulating image size....

Well, that's just being snarky... it sounds like a lovely update. It's good to see Apple concentrate on refining as well as adding new features. Which I know sometimes goes against their predilections! :o

chumsdock
Oct 2, 2007, 03:52 PM
Something not sure:

whether the highlighted text can be seen in Acrobat.
whether the features will remain until the final edition..

And something wrong:
it crashes sometimes when I save pics with adjustments..

happydude
Oct 2, 2007, 03:57 PM
this will definitely be a welcome addition to preview for me!!

psychofreak
Oct 2, 2007, 04:00 PM
this will definitely be a welcome addition to preview for me!!

Leopard is looking more like a solid upgrade than an addition of some apps I'll probably never use...

telecomm
Oct 2, 2007, 04:13 PM
I've heard that Leopard's regular QT has full screen, so maybe it has this...

All versions of QT have fullscreen now. :confused:

Doctor Q
Oct 2, 2007, 04:14 PM
LOL, this is so true. This must be maddening for the programmers at Apple. While they're thinking "oh, we're adding 12 great new features to this or that product, everyone will love us for this!" and then there's the inevitable, "this sucks, they should have added these other features as well. I'm not gonna use this until it's added." When all the while there was never a peep about the old version that only got better.Your post would have been great if you had also mentioned that if there are new security features, then people complain that Apple's product didn't previously have them, so it must have been full of security holes, which proves that Apple is lax on security.

If only your post had said that, it would have been such a fantastic post. ;)

psychofreak
Oct 2, 2007, 04:15 PM
All versions of QT have fullscreen now. :confused:

Sorry, I thought it was only QT Pro...

Jim Campbell
Oct 2, 2007, 04:18 PM
... And this is pretty much indicative of the Apple that I've always known. It's not in the bells and the whistles, it's not in the Sooper-Sekrit features, it's the little things. It's about having a team of designers and engineers who sit down and ask themselves "How will people actually use this machine?" and then ask "And how do we make that experience better?"

The features that are being discussed here are making me seriously consider a point-oh upgrade, something I've never done before.

I'm particularly gratified by burrito's iCal screenshots, because -- in the last week -- I had found myself wishing that I could attach a file to an iCal note.

Despite being a staunch supporter of the "Don't rush to ship it, just get it right" position on Leopard, I find myself swayed towards: "Just ship the damn thing, already!"

Cheers!

Jim

elppa
Oct 2, 2007, 04:41 PM
Sorry, I thought it was only QT Pro...

It is, you were right the first time.

telecomm
Oct 2, 2007, 04:58 PM

Uh, the movie I just watched says no. :rolleyes:

On Tiger, at least, a recent update enabled fullscreen in the non-Pro QT.

decksnap
Oct 2, 2007, 05:03 PM

Run your software update. QT is full-screen for free.

psychofreak
Oct 2, 2007, 05:05 PM
Run your software update. QT is full-screen for free.

I didn't know as I got QT Pro before the update...

theBB
Oct 2, 2007, 05:25 PM
Is QuickTime gonna go to version 8 when Leopard is released? Every now and then, I need to do something that should be easy with QT Pro, but I hold off buying it when Leopard is so close.

SiliconAddict
Oct 2, 2007, 05:41 PM
All I want to know is of they have added animated GIF support. Something that XP has had since 2001. :rolleyes:

MAcNIAC
Oct 2, 2007, 05:41 PM
This sort of basic annotation is all i use acrobat for - I'll hardly use it now, which is great since I dont have a UB version, and now wont have to upgrade

BrownManUPS
Oct 2, 2007, 06:02 PM
As a college student I am thrilled to see progress in the .pdf annotation..now it is a lot easier to make some quick notes in the middle of a lecture without having to settle for HUGE text on small powerpoint slides. Way to go!

Wayfarer
Oct 2, 2007, 06:13 PM
Those screenshots look AMAZING.

*RAWR* The kitty's stirring...

I Am Designer™
Oct 2, 2007, 06:15 PM
Hey Burito, thank you for the screenshots!! they look awesome!

I like how iCal now shows event details right there by the entry, and adding files... and the fact there is that line showing you the current time! that'll certainly help with the procrastination!

I think i've come round to the new dock - i downloaded one of buritos screenshots - opened it in preview and made it full screen via 'slideshow' - and the sense of depth does add a certain something extra. it just feels more real, more natural... I can imagine with the new emphasis on which window is uppermost that will be be pushed further... I'm starting to see Leopard as the 'natural' OS - where the previous iterations were the 'glossy / texture' OS's.

Even something as mundane as the reflection of widows / docs on the dock floor, I'm sure that minor detail will make the experience of using the OS feel much more natural instead of purely mechanical. Its a great precursor to the future of Apple hardware and 'real' interaction with your information a la iPhone...

psychofreak
Oct 2, 2007, 06:15 PM
All I want to know is of they have added animated GIF support. Something that XP has had since 2001. :rolleyes:

Incase you don't know, you can play animated GIFs by opening them with a web browser, but you're right that its not as convenient as Preview support :)

tripperharrison
Oct 2, 2007, 07:42 PM
I just wish they would make preview work so that when you open a picture in a directory, you can flip through all other images in that directory, without having to select all images in finder. I have replaced Preview with Xee for this very reason on my systems.

I agree. I switched back to Mac from PC two years ago, and I couldn't believe you couldn't do that, since you can in XP. This is one of the few things that I think that XP/Vista handles better than OSX. I was hoping they would make this improvement in Leopard.

burrito
Oct 2, 2007, 08:19 PM
Hey Burito, thank you for the screenshots!! they look awesome!

I think i've come round to the new dock - i downloaded one of buritos screenshots - opened it in preview and made it full screen via 'slideshow' - and the sense of depth does add a certain something extra. it just feels more real, more natural... I can imagine with the new emphasis on which window is uppermost that will be be pushed further... I'm starting to see Leopard as the 'natural' OS - where the previous iterations were the 'glossy / texture' OS's.

no big.. just happy i can share the leopard love. the new dock is nice, if for no reason other than the fact that it's different. os x has looked pretty much the same for a while, so it's cool to see visible evidence of progress. i still have tiger installed on my main machine (black macbook), and after using the leopard imac for a while, the old dock feels weird. you get used to the new one really quickly.

here's one of my favorite leopard feature, quicklook. this last gen, low-end 1.83 core 2 duo imac was able to load up this 2.2gb rip of sin city almost instantaneously.. with handbrake ripping another movie in the background:

http://i20.tinypic.com/2rdw9cy.png

(the only movie in which britanny murphy has ever looked hot)

TurboSC
Oct 2, 2007, 08:43 PM
man sooo close. I can't wait!!! :apple::apple::apple:

rented mule
Oct 2, 2007, 09:00 PM
I agree. I switched back to Mac from PC two years ago, and I couldn't believe you couldn't do that, since you can in XP. This is one of the few things that I think that XP/Vista handles better than OSX. I was hoping they would make this improvement in Leopard.

CoverFlow and Quick Look not good enough for ya?

Peel
Oct 2, 2007, 09:04 PM
Your post would have been great if you had also mentioned that if there are new security features, then people complain that Apple's product didn't previously have them, so it must have been full of security holes, which proves that Apple is lax on security.

If only your post had said that, it would have been such a fantastic post. ;)

LOL You've a rare sense of humor my friend. I love it.;)

decksnap
Oct 2, 2007, 09:04 PM
no big.. just happy i can share the leopard love. the new dock is nice, if for no reason other than the fact that it's different. os x has looked pretty much the same for a while, so it's cool to see visible evidence of progress. i still have tiger installed on my main machine (black macbook), and after using the leopard imac for a while, the old dock feels weird. you get used to the new one really quickly.

here's one of my favorite leopard feature, quicklook. this last gen, low-end 1.83 core 2 duo imac was able to load up this 2.2gb rip of sin city almost instantaneously.. with handbrake ripping another movie in the background:

http://i20.tinypic.com/2rdw9cy.png

(the only movie in which britanny murphy has ever looked hot)

Having never used Leopard, can someone explain to me why I would ever even open a Quicktime file in Quicktime if I can view the whole thing in Quicklook? (given that it's probably doing the same thing under the hood?)
I mean, is this just rolling Quicktime into the finder?

burrito
Oct 2, 2007, 09:19 PM
quicktime still provides tighter control and seems a bit more solid, but i do believe that quicktime will lose ground as a standalone product. it is pretty outdated. right now quicktime has some different playback options available to it, and the encoding features (if you have pro), but other than that, you are very much correct.

decksnap
Oct 2, 2007, 09:22 PM
Oh, and while you're coughing up info... how is browsing image folders in finder with coverflow?

burrito
Oct 2, 2007, 09:26 PM
freaking sweet.. haha.. it comes in extremely handy when dealing with lots of image flies. seems to run pretty snappy, too. i'm actually quite plesantly surprised by it.

oh, something else, finder doesn't crash if a volume suddenly disappears, networked or local.

Analog Kid
Oct 2, 2007, 11:00 PM
I guess QuickLook is the new Preview, huh? I just hope the new features don't make Preview any less lightweight. I'm going to miss the Drawer..
I was thinking the same thing-- I like the drawer...
Preview will prove to be a great tool, the enhancements are really good for the average user wanting to do day to day image manipulation tasks.

You can see the integration between iPhoto ( all the image manipulation controls ) and Preview, sharing common modules.
This is something I really like about OS X. Most of these basic tools are really just simple GUIs bolted onto the OS frameworks that anyone can use. TextEdit is just a simple Cocoa NSTextView with all the bells and whistles turned on. To my mind, this is the difference between Apple's "bundling" and MS's bundling. Apple allows everyone to recreate what they've done, while MS just ships an app to kill a competitor.
Pages '08 doesn't allow multi-PDF links either, unfortunately.
If I understand what you're trying to do, I think the problem is that you'd be linking to a file that might move. I suppose a URL might go bad too, leaving a dead link, but it seems like a bigger problem if you're linking within the file system.
Ironically, couldn't you resize images in Panther's Preview? :o We knew Preview still had the functionality, since Automator has Preview actions for manipulating image size....

Thank you! I thought I was going insane... If I am, at least I know someone else is having the same hallucination.
This is something else I thought the old Preview had-- wasn't there a "play" button?

rescue
Oct 2, 2007, 11:09 PM
I can't wait for this to come out! =)

Now all I need is the specific date.

bigwig
Oct 2, 2007, 11:19 PM
Will Preview 4.0 support forms properly? For example, files with forms data saved in Preview don't retain their forms. This works just fine in Acrobat.

DavidCar
Oct 2, 2007, 11:29 PM
If I understand what you're trying to do, I think the problem is that you'd be linking to a file that might move. I suppose a URL might go bad too, leaving a dead link, but it seems like a bigger problem if you're linking within the file system.

I need to create a CD with linked PDFs, therefore the files won't move on the CD. I need to create a description of some family stuff, then add links to other PDFs, or audio files, or pictures.

I don't feel like this would be adding a new feature, but rather that they added the hyperlink feature, then crippled it so that it wouldn't work with files. The possibility of files moving and breaking the link bringing complaints from the user is likely the reason why they crippled the feature in Pages, and apparently also the new Preview.

hotdamn
Oct 3, 2007, 01:32 AM
Will Preview 4.0 support forms properly? For example, files with forms data saved in Preview don't retain their forms. This works just fine in Acrobat.

If Adobe open sources PDF 7.0(? correct me on the version number here, guys) specifications, totally!

Analog Kid
Oct 3, 2007, 02:44 AM
I need to create a CD with linked PDFs, therefore the files won't move on the CD. I need to create a description of some family stuff, then add links to other PDFs, or audio files, or pictures.

I don't feel like this would be adding a new feature, but rather that they added the hyperlink feature, then crippled it so that it wouldn't work with files. The possibility of files moving and breaking the link bringing complaints from the user is likely the reason why they crippled the feature in Pages, and apparently also the new Preview.
Yeah, I think you're right on both counts. That's definitely a legitimate use though-- I wonder if you can link to "file://"...

psychofreak
Oct 3, 2007, 02:54 AM
freaking sweet.. haha.. it comes in extremely handy when dealing with lots of image flies. seems to run pretty snappy, too. i'm actually quite plesantly surprised by it.

oh, something else, finder doesn't crash if a volume suddenly disappears, networked or local.

Awesome...this is the biggest frustration I have with OSX :)

Darkroom
Oct 3, 2007, 04:29 AM
oh sweet!

i simply ADORE Adobe and their wonderful creative suite 3 apps... but i continue to loath Acrobat... LOATH!!!! i love Preview, and i'll love it even more if i can edit .PDF docs in preview in 10.5... that would own...

Supra James
Oct 3, 2007, 07:00 AM
Oh, and while you're coughing up info... how is browsing image folders in finder with coverflow?

It's swish but I wish there was a way of going full-screen with coverflow, or at least an easy way of making it bigger / quickly going full screen on the image you're focused on.

burrito
Oct 3, 2007, 08:15 AM
more screen grab goodness-- this time related to preview (including a screenshot of the image resizing feature):

http://i23.tinypic.com/24m6xhl.png

http://i24.tinypic.com/2nm213r.png

http://i20.tinypic.com/iqwhar.png

http://i21.tinypic.com/s2fmls.png

http://i24.tinypic.com/2hpsww3.png

http://i24.tinypic.com/28rejig.png

KHP
Oct 3, 2007, 09:53 AM
I like Epson's GUI better than Canon. V700 has really good reviews, but I could only afford 4490. :)

Isn't this a bit off topic though?

admitted, quite a bit off topic re. acrobat... but glad i got an answer!

DavidCar
Oct 3, 2007, 12:57 PM
Yeah, I think you're right on both counts. That's definitely a legitimate use though-- I wonder if you can link to "file://"...
In Pages, if you try saying "file://" then it puts an "http://" in front of it.

psychofreak
Oct 3, 2007, 01:02 PM
My favourite way to resize an image is still with Skitch...lucky I got invited to the beta :)

SiliconAddict
Oct 3, 2007, 05:23 PM
Incase you don't know, you can play animated GIFs by opening them with a web browser, but you're right that its not as convenient as Preview support :)

Yah I know. It how I viewed GIF files in Windows 2000 Pro. But at this point in time I shouldn't need to open a browser window just to preview something.

psychofreak
Oct 3, 2007, 05:27 PM
Yah I know. It how I viewed GIF files in Windows 2000 Pro. But at this point in time I shouldn't need to open a browser window just to preview something.

You're right, especially considering that Panther's preview could play animated GIFs...

brewno
Oct 3, 2007, 06:59 PM
This is great news. I often need to rezise pictures (emails, msn pic, etc) and this will come in handy.

spydr
Oct 5, 2007, 06:28 AM
Acrobat friendly annotations and highlights? Wow!
So far I have resisted saying this — I want Leopard now!! :D

BilltheCat
Oct 6, 2007, 03:39 AM
I wish the release ate was now. Is thier an automatic ship for pre-pay?:)

paulbaker
Oct 21, 2007, 04:23 AM
I have read all of the Apple Insider articles on Leopard, but I was wondering why some law firm told them they could not dicuss features found in the new preview..

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/07/10/02/road_to_mac_os_x_leopard_an_extensive_look_at_preview_3_0.html

thewhitehart
Oct 21, 2007, 05:27 AM
I used to resize images with Automator. It's a pain waiting for it to start up, so to be able to resize with Preview with considerably less clicks is fantastic.