PDA

View Full Version : Handbrake movies not accepted on touch?

sdmac
Oct 2, 2007, 11:33 AM
I burned alot of my dvd's using handbrake and they work fine on the appleTV. However, I just got home with my touch and tried to copy a movie to it and I get an error message stating that the movie was not copied because it cannot be played on this ipod. I tried several videos and got the same message except for the 1 movie that I purchased from Itunes. Can handbrake movies not be copied to the touch?

jhagler
Oct 2, 2007, 11:40 AM
If you encoded them on the Apple TV preset on Handbrake, they will not work on your Touch as they will be too big. You need to encode them on an iPod preset, or use iSquint to produce an iPod version of the handbrake encoded file.

sdmac
Oct 2, 2007, 11:42 AM
ahhh crap. Thanks for the info. I did use the preset appletV. I'll try the ipod preset and hopefully that works.

Thanks

madmaxmedia
Oct 2, 2007, 11:52 AM
You should use the iPhone preset as it resizes the movies to the iPhone/Touch screen size.

You can additionally experiment with bitrate to find a good balance between quality and file size. The default for iPhone seting is 960, which gives excellent quality but 1GB+ file sizes for motion pictures.

I use 500 kbps to save space. There are some occasional artifacts, but I am very satisfied with overall quality (I have an 8GB Touch so using the lower bitrate allows me to keep 4 or 5 movies and a lot of music.)

plinden
Oct 2, 2007, 12:02 PM
You can convert your already ripped movies for iPods using iTunes - under, I think, the Advanced menu.

This creates a copy, with the same name as the original. And it's not fast, but would be faster than re-ripping.

I believe the real issue with video is related to resolution, but not quite as simple as "it must be X by Y pixels". The X and Y resolutions must be divisible by 16, and the total number of the 16x16 blocks must be less than some value that I don't remember ... or something like that. Sorry, I'm not usually this vague. For instance 640x480 will work since dividing by 16 is 40x30 (so is it 1200 blocks maximum?)

sdmac
Oct 2, 2007, 12:05 PM
You can convert your already ripped movies for iPods using iTunes - under, I think, the Advanced menu.

This creates a copy, with the same name as the original. And it's not fast, but would be faster than re-ripping.

U read my mind. That was my next question as to whether or not I could convert my already ripped movies.

sdmac
Oct 2, 2007, 03:45 PM

I converted one of my movies under the Itunes advanced menu and it worked like a charm. No quality issues that I can see. Took a little while but much easier than going back and burning all my dvd's again.

Thanks

Borracho400
Oct 2, 2007, 09:48 PM
When I converted the Departed over through handbrake using the iPhone setting and then tried putting it on my touch it wouldn't let me. I don't know if that is because of copyright issues, idk, but when converting it it works fine.

awmazz
Oct 2, 2007, 11:14 PM
When I converted the Departed over through handbrake using the iPhone setting and then tried putting it on my touch it wouldn't let me. I don't know if that is because of copyright issues, idk, but when converting it it works fine.

The first time I tried it last week, it didn't work for me either until I re-typed the .mp4 extenson to the iTunes native .m4v, and iTunes imported it fine.

Oddly enough, the Handbrake .mp4 iPhone setting and extension works perfectly now. It might have been the iTunes 7.4.2 update.

vpostrel
Sep 4, 2010, 05:57 PM
I tried converting previously ripped files but even after many hours the one I started with was stuck part way. I found it takes very little time to start again from the DVD. I guess Handbrake has sped up its process.