PDA

View Full Version : Strange id3 tag issue?

pigbat
Oct 2, 2007, 11:46 PM
I have my entire library in mp3 format and all CD's have been imported by iTunes. I forgot my iPod today and connected in to download some tracks at work. To my surprise the iTunes at work didn't see any of the artist/album/track info. I blew it off as a strange download issue. When I got home tonight I decided to grab some of the files from my backup external and load them into my son's iTunes on his macbook and it has the same issue.

Does the track information not get stored in the individual files? I see all of the info in my master iTunes library. I'm now concerned that my backups may be impossible to import in the case of a disaster. I've ripped hundreds of CD's and the thought of doing that again makes me sick.

Cinematographer
Oct 3, 2007, 02:38 AM
I'm not sure about mp3, but I guess you have to turn on "Keep iTunes Music folder organized" to make iTunes store the track info inside the file as well.

For the backup, I'd suggest to take the whole iTunes folder with both iTunes (Music) Library files and the Album Artwork folder.

pigbat
Oct 3, 2007, 09:36 AM
I'm not sure about mp3, but I guess you have to turn on "Keep iTunes Music folder organized" to make iTunes store the track info inside the file as well.

For the backup, I'd suggest to take the whole iTunes folder with both iTunes (Music) Library files and the Album Artwork folder.

Yep, I have that box checked. I changed my backups to make sure it grabs the entire folder now. Are there any tools that will go through and automatically add these tags back into the file?

Cinematographer
Oct 3, 2007, 10:47 AM
Are there any tools that will go through and automatically add these tags back into the file?

Yes, it's called iTunes. :D As far as I know, iTunes is supposed to do it. Don't know what's going wrong. :confused:

pigbat
Oct 3, 2007, 10:56 AM
Yes, it's called iTunes. :D As far as I know, iTunes is supposed to do it. Don't know what's going wrong. :confused:

I am starting to wonder if this is normal behavior for iTunes. I'm going to try moving some CD's my son imported to his macbook tonight. It's a little frustrating but not really that big of a deal. My iPod's obviously show the info and my master copy of iTunes has the data..... knowing it isn't tagging the files irritates me a little but the impact is obviously negligible.