Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AngryAngel

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 12, 2003
Anyone experienced any G5 Rev. A hiccups so far?

I heard in another thread about the optical drive drawer not being correctly aligned with the slot in the front of the machine (maybe the panel didn't drop down far enough?), but supposedly that was easily solved.

I suppose the cheap mouse and keyboard may turn out to be a Rev. A anomally.

Any others?

grabberslasher

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2002
Éire
I know of a hiccup. The aluminium fram bends very easily. Press down hard on the back handle and you will get a permanent bend in the casing. Unlike plastic, aluminium doesn't bend back, it stays bent.

EDIT: This isn't from personal experience, I saw one like that at an Apple Store.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Do you know how much pressure was required to bend the frame? That's a serious issue.....I'm not liking that in the least.

D

grabberslasher

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2002
Éire
Haven't a clue, was shown by the guy at the apple store. Very unsightly though...

I would say just be careful when leaning on it... :eek:

It was toward the back handle, bent out 'bout an inch.

I think it something to do with the G5 1.6 manufacturing process. I'll be using a 2 GHZ in a few weeks so I'll tell you if it's the same.

grabberslasher

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2002
Éire
Don't know...
It's one and a half times bigger than a Sawtooth, and made of Aluminium. I would say 'bout the same or less than G4.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
I'm waiting for Rev B myself. I got burned before on my G4 Sawtooth.....didn't feel like going through that again.

Its tough waiting, though....;)

D

Sol

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2003
Australia
No major problems (if at all)

I don't know about the 1.6 and the 1.8 GHz G5s but the dual 2 GHz G5 Powermac is a computer ahead of its time. The more optimised the OS and applications become, the faster this PowerMac will get.

The comparison with the Yikes PowerMacs is not appropriate in this case because these computers have a next-gen motherboard to go with the next-gen processors.

If the handles bend then users should be more careful with them but at the end of the day, who would say no to a G5 because of something like that?

sonofslim

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2003
Originally posted by grabberslasher
I know of a hiccup. The aluminium fram bends very easily. Press down hard on the back handle and you will get a permanent bend in the casing.

do you mean a bend in the handle, or a bend in the actual body of the case?

and if it's in the handle, do y'all think that indicates the case itself is as prone to bending?

that can't be good for the interior.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.