PDA

View Full Version : Verizon, LG Announce 'iPhone Killer' Voyager

iliketomac
Oct 3, 2007, 08:55 AM
"The Voyager, made by LG Electronics, trumps the iPhone by offering faster wireless Web access. But in a nod to the Apple device, which is only available to AT&T Inc subscribers, it has a large touch screen and full Web browser."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20071003/ts_nm/verizon_phones_dc

I'm still for Apple's iPhone all the way since OS X remains top notch. And the iPhone will likely get better and better after each revision...

GTiPhone
Oct 3, 2007, 09:39 AM
"People who want a high-end media phone and want to stay with Verizon will certainly give that one a hard look. I don't know that it would pull anybody away from an iPhone," he said.

:D:D:D

translation: It's good. It's not that good. But it's good.

gkarris
Oct 3, 2007, 09:39 AM
I'm still for Apple's iPhone all the way since OS X remains top notch. And the iPhone will likely get better and better after each revision...

As long as you're willing to go only with AT&T...

Locked Phones = Bad

Competition = Good

mpuck972
Oct 3, 2007, 09:42 AM

Yeah, because the 1.1.1 update was sooooo revolutionary wasn't it.

Fuchal
Oct 3, 2007, 09:45 AM

I am pretty sure he was not talking about a tiny software update when he said revisions.

DeaconGraves
Oct 3, 2007, 09:54 AM
As long as you're willing to go only with AT&T...

Locked Phones = Bad

Competition = Good

That's funny, I didn't see anything in that article that said Verizon was selling the phone unlocked.

knelto
Oct 3, 2007, 09:55 AM
"We think it'll be the best phone ... this year. It will kill the iPhone."
Verizon Wireless Chief Marketing Officer Mike Lanman

Hahahahahahahahahaahhaahhhhaahahhaha

plumbingandtech
Oct 3, 2007, 10:03 AM
That's funny, I didn't see anything in that article that said Verizon was selling the phone unlocked.

Zing!

Good point. All I remember from my Verizon friend (who JUST bought an iPhone 2 days ago.) said how many things like bluetooth in all his verizon phones where locked down.

Speedracer04
Oct 3, 2007, 10:05 AM
Zing!

Good point. All I remember from my Verizon friend (who JUST bought an iPhone 2 days ago.) said how many things like bluetooth in all his verizon phones where locked down.

seriously, my GF has verizon and she can seriously do nothing with verizon. With cingular i used to connect via bluetooth to my computer and just drag and drop ringtones....not with verizon!

plumbingandtech
Oct 3, 2007, 10:11 AM
seriously, my GF has verizon and she can seriously do nothing with verizon. With cingular i used to connect via bluetooth to my computer and just drag and drop ringtones....not with verizon!

I love it how so many people will post the iphone hate and yet not post that other cell phone makers and networks are doing the same or worst in a lot of cases.

I mean yah you can't do your own ringtone (thank you god!) but the ones you can do are $1.99(with a whole song) cents not $2.49 which a price I have heard.

emcviper
Oct 3, 2007, 10:12 AM
I love this little blurb obscurely hidden at the end.

and a slot for 8 gigabytes of extra memory. The iPhone has 8 gigabytes of built-in storage.

The iPhone happens to double as a music-industry dominating iPod with 8 gigs of storage. Presumably, you'll have to cough up another $100-$200 to be able to get 8 gigs out of the Voyager.

And if it's LG, that keyboard+hinge will be trash in 3 months.

powerbook911
Oct 3, 2007, 10:12 AM
I think it sucks all phones are going to start looking like iPhones, not as good, but with the big full front display. Can't anyone innovate besides apple?

wwooden
Oct 3, 2007, 10:14 AM
Zing!

I have bluetooth on both my phone and computer and I can only sync contacts and calenders to my phone; no music or pictures. I can kinda see them charging for ringtones because there is copyright protection, but the pictures are ones I am taking myself, there should be no problem with letting me transfer them through bluetooth. The only way I can get them off is to send an email message to myself, where Verizon can charge me a fee. The pictures aren't great quality at all, not worth any money in my mind.

gkarris
Oct 3, 2007, 10:16 AM

Unlike Apple, Verizon unlocks their phones when the contract is over...

PJF13
Oct 3, 2007, 10:29 AM
I think it sucks all phones are going to start looking like iPhones, not as good, but with the big full front display. Can't anyone innovate besides apple?

I agree, it's so funny how obvious it is. COPY CATS -

tsvb
Oct 3, 2007, 10:31 AM
That UI is lame.

LizKat
Oct 3, 2007, 10:44 AM
"We think it'll be the best phone ... this year. It will kill the iPhone."
Verizon Wireless Chief Marketing Officer Mike Lanman

Hahahahahahahahahaahhaahhhhaahahhaha

Right, is this the same Verizon where if you go in the store to buy a replacement batt for the last phone you upgraded to with them, they don't have that batt and suggest you get a newer phone although it's not time for another upgrade yet? Or else buy the batt online and pay shipping? That Verizon?

Unspeaked
Oct 3, 2007, 10:48 AM
This doesn't seem that different to me than the other iClones that have come out in recent months...

I wonder if Verizon has started kicking themselves for passing on Apple's offer?

Klaxons2012
Oct 3, 2007, 10:56 AM

i...i'm sorry. is Apple a phone carrier now? are we going to start blaming the Iraq war on Apple too?

captastro
Oct 3, 2007, 11:00 AM

What would you be able to do with an unlocked Verizon phone?

swordfish5736
Oct 3, 2007, 11:01 AM

except verizon phones are CDMA. You cant just take the phone from a verizon network and plug it into ATT, tmobile, or any european network

captastro
Oct 3, 2007, 11:02 AM

It's cheaper to copy!

mets1125
Oct 3, 2007, 11:19 AM

Thats false. Vz is CDMA but you still can not take a Vz phone and sign up to Sprint with it.

emcviper
Oct 3, 2007, 11:25 AM
It's cheaper to copy!

-The 3 people who got an automatic 'F' in my business COMS course.

F4phanatic
Oct 3, 2007, 11:30 AM
I know I am going to be flamed for this, but I intend to buy a LG Voyager to replace my LG 8300 when NE2 hits. I am going to be locked into Verizon for long time, so I will get this, it's good enough, and it's the closet I'll get to an iPhone.

It has EV-DO, a big advantage over an iPhone, and you'd have to admit, Verizon is slowly but surely uncrippling their phones bluetooth, and their UI, I think looks sweet!

I can sync it with a Mac through Bitpim a free program, so it's almost as good as an iPhone for me...

kdarling
Oct 3, 2007, 11:33 AM

Actually, they're not all looking like it, or even most.

There's been plenty of phones with touchscreens for years.

Most now also have sliding keyboards and/or real dialpads. And all except the iPhone have dedicated phone buttons (plus usually dedicated radio control and camera buttons). Apple's "innovation" of leaving off hardware phone and iPod controls was a giant UI mistake, IMO.

ejrizo
Oct 3, 2007, 12:23 PM
LMAO.. anyway the thing i really see on this is wow... thank god apple forbidded AT&T or any carrier that is to brand this phone with an operator logo!... that verizon logo makes it look crappy as would any logo on the front of a huge screen like that... :apple:

im talking about the one on top of the phone not the one on the phone ... i know that is just a graphic for the ads..

Snide
Oct 3, 2007, 12:36 PM
Quick question: How much are 8 GB SD or CF cards these days?

marksman
Oct 3, 2007, 12:38 PM
Screen not as big as an iPhone and it has that ridiculous slide out hamster sized keyboard.

I don't want to carry around a little baby keyboard.

gceo
Oct 3, 2007, 12:40 PM

What other phone has the largest music store in the world on it?

I'm not debating opinion, I'm debating fact.

Yeah, I'm still pissed that there is no MMS, but 1.1.1 did put the largest volume of music ever available in the palm of our hands. Cut through the bias, just because they (apple) does some stuff wrong, doesn't mean they do everything wrong.

I personally am looking forward to the Leopard/iPhone update.

Unspeaked
Oct 3, 2007, 01:16 PM

$100+

kdarling
Oct 3, 2007, 01:26 PM
What other phone has the largest music store in the world on it?

I don't keep up with these things, but isn't Nokia trying hard to match it with their Ovi (sp?) tunes store?

~$75 on eBay if you include shipping.

hatcher146
Oct 3, 2007, 01:31 PM

i agree. phones like the LG voyager and other ones are starting to look more and more like the iPhone...and i dont think this is gonna stop. apple has introduced something into the cell phone market that is going to change it...i think. more phones are going to get a touchscreen, better web browsers, etc, etc. apple is going to be a big trend setter for the future of cell phones.

gceo
Oct 3, 2007, 01:31 PM
I don't keep up with these things, but isn't Nokia trying hard to match it with their Ovi (sp?) tunes store?

Basically, there can only be one "Biggest", "Largest", etc... I'm not saying it's the best, or others aren't trying. But for now, there is only one largest, and now it's in the palm of our hands thanks to 1.1.1. That was the point I was trying to make. What will the next update bring?

Bernie-Mac
Oct 3, 2007, 01:34 PM

For use with what? A sim card?

Unspeaked
Oct 3, 2007, 01:42 PM
For use with what? A sim card?

You can use them with Sprint... or another Verizon plan...

aristobrat
Oct 3, 2007, 01:42 PM
Wonder if they'll let the cheaper VCast data plan work on these devices, or stick them with the $45/month data plan that they do their Windows Mobile and Palm devices?

Sprint will absolutely NOT activate a Verizon phone on its network! :eek: They verify that the phones ESN is in their range of products, and if not, no love.

The Toddfather
Oct 3, 2007, 01:47 PM
~$75 on eBay if you include shipping.

I think this phone takes a microSD, which is more costly.

Bernie-Mac
Oct 3, 2007, 01:59 PM

Sprint wont activate a verizon phone...so that makes verizon phones "unlocked" but you still can only use them with verizon....freedom is nice isnt it?:rolleyes:

gkarris
Oct 3, 2007, 02:00 PM
Sprint wont activate a verizon phone...so that makes verizon phones "unlocked" but you still can only use them with verizon....freedom is nice isnt it?:rolleyes:

US cellular companies - don't you just feel the love???

MacRumors
Oct 3, 2007, 02:07 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Verizon and LG are launching the latest iPhone rival today (http://www.reuters.com/article/technologyNews/idUSN0242922420071003), dubbed "Voyager." Reuters quotes Verizon Wireless Chief Marketing Officer Mike Lanman as saying that "[Voyager] will kill the iPhone."

The phone matches many features of the iPhone and includes some additional features including 3G and a tactile keypad. The phone does not appear to include a multi-touch capable interface however, and though it has a slot for accommodating up to 8 GB of microSD memory, built-in memory specifications were not available at time of this posting.

Current Analysis analyst Avi Greengart indicated that he believes the launch may help Verizon, but may not hurt Apple.

"People who want a high-end media phone and want to stay with Verizon will certainly give that one a hard look. I don't know that it would pull anybody away from an iPhone."

The Voyager will be priced similarly to the iPhone at around $400, and will be available in November.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2007/10/03/verizon-lg-announce-iphone-killer-voyager/)

KindredMAC
Oct 3, 2007, 02:17 PM
snicker snicker.... yeah... right.

But watch, the "Token Black Guy" on AOTS that does all of the cell phone reviews will say that it is the best thing ever to come out in cell phones and bash the iPhone, all in one breath. Oh, BTW, he will also say that the iPhone is too expensive and that the LG is priced a tad high but not too bad.

Of course that's if the Apple-Hater still has a job at AOTS on G4TV. My buddy seems to think he doesn't work for G4 anymore.....

outkaste25
Oct 3, 2007, 02:22 PM
I know I am going to be flamed for this, but I intend to buy a LG Voyager to replace my LG 8300 when NE2 hits. I am going to be locked into Verizon for long time, so I will get this, it's good enough, and it's the closet I'll get to an iPhone.

It has EV-DO, a big advantage over an iPhone, and you'd have to admit, Verizon is slowly but surely uncrippling their phones bluetooth, and their UI, I think looks sweet!

I can sync it with a Mac through Bitpim a free program, so it's almost as good as an iPhone for me...

Who wants to settle for "almost as good"? ;)

MacsRgr8
Oct 3, 2007, 02:25 PM
Reuters quotes Verizon Wireless Chief Marketing Officer Mike Lanman as saying that "[Voyager] will kill the iPhone."

Excellent.

Naming some object as an "iWhatever"-Killer only strengthens the position of the original "iWhatever".
You confirm that the "iWhatever" is the standard to which you try to compete against.

I am so gad Apple is not calling Leopard the Vista-Killer.

chr1s60
Oct 3, 2007, 02:26 PM
The simple fact that companies are calling their phones "iPhone Killers" shows the huge success that Apple has had. I don't think this phone is going to do anything to iPhone sales and I am 100% certain that we won't see lines of campers outside of Verizon stores waiting to buy one.

Unspeaked
Oct 3, 2007, 02:31 PM

You can use them with Virgin mobile, I think.

It's really just the CDMA carriers.

Outside of this whole iPhone thing, the GSM guys are actually not too bad...

rjwill246
Oct 3, 2007, 02:33 PM
The simple fact that companies are calling their phones "iPhone Killers" shows the huge success that Apple has had. I don't think this phone is going to do anything to iPhone sales and I am 100% certain that we won't see lines of campers outside of Verizon stores waiting to buy one.

The level of desperation that Apple draws out of possible competitors is amazing. This is just another me-too phone.

grayskies
Oct 3, 2007, 02:38 PM
It is comical to me that they think the can "kill the iPhone".

Sure, another phone could have matching or better specs, but it
will not be sexy.

When people ask me about the iPhone, I tell them it's not the second coming but it's quite good. I think people underestimate the multi-touch screen.

SthrnCmfrtr
Oct 3, 2007, 02:39 PM
I'm unimpressed.

bbplayer5
Oct 3, 2007, 02:40 PM
Wow that looks... horrible.. even apple wasnt dumb enough to put the apple logo on the FRONT of the phone.. thats tacky.

SilentPanda
Oct 3, 2007, 02:41 PM
snicker snicker.... yeah... right.

But watch, the "Token Black Guy" on AOTS that does all of the cell phone reviews will say that it is the best thing ever to come out in cell phones and bash the iPhone, all in one breath. Oh, BTW, he will also say that the iPhone is too expensive and that the LG is priced a tad high but not too bad.

Of course that's if the Apple-Hater still has a job at AOTS on G4TV. My buddy seems to think he doesn't work for G4 anymore.....

He quit about a month ago. I forget why but they had a going away party for him.

anubis
Oct 3, 2007, 02:41 PM
Let's see. According to press releases I've seen, the Voyager will sell for $399 (equal in price to the iPhone) and will NOT come with a storage card. So the phone is more expensive and, like every other Verizon phone I've had, will suck and be crippled.

kalamus
Oct 3, 2007, 02:43 PM
This thing looks like poo.

http://www.infosyncworld.com/phones/lg_voyager.html?n=0

miketcool
Gizmodo claimed that it wasnt too thick. Looking at the photo, it looks like a 3rd or 4th generation car phone. Hope it only looks like a brick and doesnt weigh as much as one.

wongulous
All it accomplishes, calling something an iPod- or now iPhone-killer, is getting more attention drawn to your product--but that attention is only going to be negative once people realistically compare it to an iPod or iPhone. I mean, honestly. This is a steaming pile.

Stampyhead
Oct 3, 2007, 02:44 PM
Reuters quotes Verizon Wireless Chief Marketing Officer Mike Lanman as saying that "[Voyager] will kill the iPhone."

The only thing he's killing by saying crap like that is his career. He's going to look awfully stupid when his phone does not end up killing the iPhone. Just like the CEO of Creative who kept saying that his latest whatever would kill the iPod. Why do these guys put their credibility on the line by saying stuff like that?

kingtj
Oct 3, 2007, 02:44 PM
I dumped Verizon years ago, partially because their "cool, high-speed data network" cost at least $49.95 a month on top of your monthly voice plan to get unlimited usage on it. Ouch!

Are they proposing a special set of rate plans just for the Voyager too? Funny, I haven't heard them mention THAT part yet..... hmm.....

Let's see. According to press releases I've seen, the Voyager will sell for $399 (equal in price to the iPhone) and will NOT come with a storage card. So the phone is more expensive and, like every other Verizon phone I've had, will suck and be crippled.

miketcool
Oct 3, 2007, 02:45 PM
And the antenna is cute too! Can I hand crank it to charge the flashlight and deer whistle?

RevToTheRedline
Oct 3, 2007, 02:46 PM
I like my LG enV VX9900

This new Voyager is an updated version of it. Sure it's no iPhone but hey it was $50 after many rebates, and the keyboard is nice. And I have a 4GB MicroSD in it which only cost me $22 from Kingston.

sananda
Oct 3, 2007, 02:48 PM
The only thing he's killing by saying crap like that is his career. He's going to look awfully stupid when his phone does not end up killing the iPhone. Just like the CEO of Creative who kept saying that his latest whatever would kill the iPod. Why do these guys put their credibility on the line by saying stuff like that?

it's his job to talk it up; he's in marketing.

TC Schiller
Oct 3, 2007, 02:49 PM
Honestly, it looks like a prototype mock-up.. I can't believe someone passed that off as consumer-ready.

The RAZR from years ago premiered with a better-looking GUI than this thing's got.

RevToTheRedline
Oct 3, 2007, 02:50 PM
Honestly, it looks like a prototype mock-up.. I can't believe someone passed that off as consumer-ready.

The RAZR from years ago premiered with a better-looking GUI than this thing's got.

You can blame Verizon for the UI. Thankfully I have the option to use the LG one or the Verizon one on my VX9900.

If I could get AT&T service I'd be holding an iPhone right now, but I'm more than happy with this, and I'd definitely consider the VX10000 (voyager) if I didn't just buy this phone.

Speaking of the RAZR, that is a phone that seriously needs to get whipped off the face of the planet, SOO played out. My grandma has one.

kdarling
Oct 3, 2007, 03:07 PM
Ah, now this is very close... no keyboard and all..

Blackberry 9xxx touchscreen phone (http://www.mobilemag.com/content/100/333/C13479/)

Telp
Oct 3, 2007, 03:08 PM
Wow that looks... horrible.. even apple wasnt dumb enough to put the apple logo on the FRONT of the phone.. thats tacky.

nothing about that phone screams to me like the iphone did. It is ugly in every definition of the word. Dissapointing, i wanna see an iphone killer. A real one. I say even the zune will be more succesful when put into consideration.

RevToTheRedline
Oct 3, 2007, 03:10 PM
I got a question.

Who at LG said this was an iPhone killer? They probably didn't even bring it to the market to be, it's just an update to a phone that is in it's 3rd generation.

Just because some website says "LG's new iPhone killer" doesn't mean LG intended it to be.

Get a clue people.

Fanboy powers UNITE.

synth3tik
Oct 3, 2007, 03:25 PM
Those are supposed to be iPhone killers? LG creates products 1 step above the aesthetics level of Microsoft.

Yuk, it's an LG Zune phone.

TheSlush
Oct 3, 2007, 03:27 PM

I mean, COME ON. Are they serious? Did they really mention this thing and "iPhone" in the same sentence??

zombitronic
Oct 3, 2007, 03:31 PM
I went to Verizon's site to check out these phones, curious about the interface and such. When I get there, I'm presented with a flash animation of the phones twirling around towards me, and when I try to check out a particular phone, I'm shown the phone with a big red checkmark on the display. Great way to sell a product guys, twirl it at me and make sure I don't see what it does.

Upon searching elsewhere (http://video.i4u.com/reviews.php?url=./reviews/Verizon-Voyager.wmv&p=2), I did find some video of the interface. It's like an iPhone with paraplegia.

ellsworth
Oct 3, 2007, 03:36 PM
Apple will be the only company to kill it's own phone... Other companies will try and try and won't come up at all... OSX is what really does it for the iphone.. and I guess that touch ability thing too ;)

bretm
Oct 3, 2007, 03:39 PM

Years ago, starting with Jobs return, the new imacs, the ibooks, the TiBooks, and of course the G3/G4/G5/MacPro designs, I began to believe that nobody else can. Not anywhere near as well at least. For the most part, Apple beats the other companies in software design as well. Without even trying. They whipped out Aperture as a simple response to a observed demand. Same witih iPhoto, iDVD, iMovie, etc. Aperture is arguably better or in par with Adobe's version, which they claim they had been working on for 10 years! They had to accelerate development to get it out about 8 months after Apple's aperture.

All this time apple is making awesome hardware, os, ipods, iphones,etc. and Adobe can't even keep up with the one area they are awesome at. Photo software.

I used to joke that Apple's skills were in overall design and that they just happened to be in the computer industry. That they could take those skills and reinvent the car as wel know it. Now they're working with Jaguar and Volkswagen.

I've got my gripes, but hell, their stock has almost doubled for me in 8 months.

Snowy_River
Oct 3, 2007, 03:39 PM
it's his job to talk it up; he's in marketing.

Ah, but intelligent marketing people know that when you say "my product will kill the XXXX", all you're really doing is giving the XXXX product free advertising. The smart way to say it is "my product is a cutting edge product that will kill the competition" (if you must say "kill"). That way, you don't actually specify who the "competition" is.

All in all, identifying your product as a "______-killer" is fool-hardy. If someone in the press who is reviewing your product wants to do that, fine. But to say it yourself is fraught with problems.

snook911
Oct 3, 2007, 03:44 PM

It's going to be $400 the same price as the iphone so why not just get the iphone.

jklps
Oct 3, 2007, 04:09 PM
It's going to be $400 the same price as the iphone so why not just get the iphone.

With new every two deal from Verizon and about a month after release at most the phone will be $250 with a two year contract...

I don't love Verizon's phones, but I'll get one of the new phones(not the one in this thread) for $100 or less, beat it up for two years like I always do, then get another. And while I'm doing it I can talk/text 90% of my friends for free on a 40 dollar plan.

The iPod IS definitely a better phone and of course if it was on Verizon I'd get it. But the change in plans/purchase of the phone does not make it worth it to everybody.

macduke
Oct 3, 2007, 04:16 PM
maybe these companies don't understand.....you can't just kill the iphone. there are too many extreme fans that would keep it alive at this point. plus we dropped a load of cash on it. also, if you don't have multi-touch or an freaking ipod built in...then why bother trying to get me to buy your product? does it have a really great web browser? why do i have to buy my own memory?

how many "iphone killers" have we already seen come and go in the short 3 months since launch?

phytonix
Oct 3, 2007, 04:17 PM

My roommate's not-free after 2-year contract verizon samsung or LG phone does not even have bluetooth. Nor can he use internet. I can at least use EDGE for CNN and ABC news for free with my T-mobile ToGo.

sminman
Oct 3, 2007, 04:32 PM
Here is a short video clip of the Voyager in action.

http://video.i4u.com/reviews.php?url=./reviews/Verizon-Voyager.wmv&p=2

The User Interface is so sloppy and it seems like it has a lag when you touch the screen.

They also have Coverflow on there as well.

Sam

gceo
Oct 3, 2007, 04:40 PM
When I turned off my Verizon phone to get an iPhone, the CSR told me that they are coming out with a "better iPhone".... so funny. This was months ago. I love the coverage from Vz in my area, but they sure did blow it with Apple.

This is just another classic case of the R&D department.... rob & duplicate.

One more thing I just noticed looking at the pics.... plastic displays sure are magnets for fingerprints.... way worse than glass. Funny how people made fun of the touch screen for that reason, now we see other companies following suit.

javaGuru
Oct 3, 2007, 04:46 PM
A few questions that I have:

Will LG allow 3rd party apps?
Will LG and Verizon allow the phone to be unlocked and used with other carriers?
Will Verizon charge their customers for ringtones?

kalamus
Oct 3, 2007, 04:55 PM
I got a question.

Who at LG said this was an iPhone killer? They probably didn't even bring it to the market to be, it's just an update to a phone that is in it's 3rd generation.

Just because some website says "LG's new iPhone killer" doesn't mean LG intended it to be.

Get a clue people.

Fanboy powers UNITE.

"Reuters quotes Verizon Wireless Chief Marketing Officer Mike Lanman as saying that "[Voyager] will kill the iPhone."

No, He's not from LG but some website didnt just come up with that. iPhone killer is said with tongue firmly in cheek, because it SO isnt even competition for the iPhone.

megfilmworks
Oct 3, 2007, 04:55 PM
Can'y wait for the sim hackers to dump verizon and go with att :)

yoman
Oct 3, 2007, 05:10 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3A109a Safari/419.3)

I'm hopeful that someone will eventually compete with Apple in a meaningful way. Sadly this phone is not one of them

Telp
Oct 3, 2007, 05:15 PM
Here is a short video clip of the Voyager in action.

http://video.i4u.com/reviews.php?url=./reviews/Verizon-Voyager.wmv&p=2

The User Interface is so sloppy and it seems like it has a lag when you touch the screen.

They also have Coverflow on there as well.

Sam

I saw the coverflow. I agree with the lag, it takes so long to just open up the music player. Plus what kind of advertising is this where the battery isnt even full.

zflauaus
Oct 3, 2007, 05:42 PM
Screw the Voyager (I prefered when it was called the enV X). I'll be getting the Pearl when it comes out.;)

boobooq88
Oct 3, 2007, 06:21 PM
of all the phones that are out or soon to come out I think I will be getting this (http://www.sonyericsson.com/spg.jsp?cc=us&lc=en&ver=4000&template=pip1&zone=pp&pid=10908) as my next phone. Not as nice as the iPhone but still a good phone. Plus, in my experience, Sony Ericcsons are built like bricks.

But of course it depends on the price :p

SPUY767
Oct 3, 2007, 06:27 PM
i...i'm sorry. is Apple a phone carrier now? are we going to start blaming the Iraq war on Apple too?

I lolled. That is so true. This guy should be posting on Digg which has degenerated into an Apple Hating troll cave.

I saw the coverflow. I agree with the lag, it takes so long to just open up the music player. Plus what kind of advertising is this where the battery isnt even full.

That's not an advertising problem, that's just how fast the battery drains in real time.

yg17
Oct 3, 2007, 06:38 PM

At least Verizon is doing their part to unlock the phone, certainly more than at&t is doing. Even if your phone still can't be used on most other networks, you can't hold other competitors' policies against Verizon.

And FWIW, I hear that some of the small, regional CDMA carriers will activate phones from Verizon and Sprint and the other CDMA carriers. So all hope is not lost.

AppleIntelRock
Oct 3, 2007, 07:03 PM
is LG kidding about killing the iPhone? I'm more worried about zune...:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Hummer
Oct 3, 2007, 07:12 PM
The "Apple Killer" has to come before the "iPhone Killer" or else any company could make the greatest phone of all time and it still wouldn't kill the iPhone.

severe
Oct 3, 2007, 07:16 PM
"iPhone Killer"

hahahaaa ahahahaha hahahahhhahahha cough cough hahahhah hahah hahah cough wheez hahaha ohhh please stop hahaah.. you're killin me...ohhhh ahahahhah... cough cough...haha..someone get me a glass of water...hahaha hahhha....

mrkramer
Oct 3, 2007, 07:21 PM
Can'y wait for the sim hackers to dump verizon and go with att :)

That won't work even if someone wants to since Verizon does not use SIM cards.

hidehide
Oct 3, 2007, 07:23 PM
I waiting for the cellphone that will be released by Nokia.
As we can see Nokia's new N95 (3G) has 8gb memory with 5MP camera.. well, my N73 which is released in 2006 summer, already got 3G and 3MP camera.
And Nokia is like the top cell phone in the industry. I think they will release a better cell phone later, and say bye bye to iPhone..

iPhone is really suck as long as it stays locked and no 3rd party application.. plus, it doesnt have any extraordinary function.. no 3G, only 2MP camera..
The only good thing about iPhone is its large touch screen, and the OS, but other functions are not that special to be able to keep people in 2 year contract..

Lets say, you bought the iPhone, and after 1 year, there might be a revolutionary update in the cellphone industry, well apple might stay behind, lol. But then, you are stuck in the 2 year contract, lol

shadowfax
Oct 3, 2007, 08:02 PM
Ah, now this is very close... no keyboard and all..

Blackberry 9xxx touchscreen phone (http://www.mobilemag.com/content/100/333/C13479/)

Exactly. I think that Nokia and RIM are going to give Apple a run for their money, if even they can. And, while I have my doubts, god I hope they do. Apple really, really needs some serious competition.

amacisbetter
Oct 3, 2007, 08:31 PM
"People who want a high-end media phone and want to stay with Verizon will certainly give that one a hard look. I don't know that it would pull anybody away from an iPhone," he said.

So true, I couldn't agree more! :p

whit1009
Oct 3, 2007, 08:45 PM
The iPhone is unique because it's the iPhone. The Voyager will not sell as many at the price of $400 because it is not made by ":apple:" I bought a Mac a few months ago, and it convinced me to buy the iPhone. I will most likely never buy another phone or computer that is not made by Apple because they just have ingenious ideas! They are amazing!! :D:D:D:D:D
Why are all these phones and mp3 players that try to compete with Apple coming out with them after Apple does? Only so they can copy their ideas and "try" to make it better, but they truly don't compete.

freediverdude
Oct 3, 2007, 08:57 PM
Oh puh-leeeeze Verizon. Is that a PLASTIC touch screen? And do my eyes deceive me, or is that a little metal antenna sticking out?? The kind I used to see on pocket radios back in the 1970's?? Don't call us, we'll call you. Next!

mpspence
Oct 3, 2007, 09:09 PM
i've tried hard to explain what every other phones interface is like compared to the iphone, i think i finally found a comparison, every other phone is like using a computer without a mouse, imagine taking the mouse away and then try navigating your computer, thats what all these dumbasses that keep coming out with hard keyboards are essentially doing,

winterspan
Oct 3, 2007, 09:13 PM

It's not "flaming" when you are right. You are entitled to get whatever you want. I haven't bought an iphone yet because I'm locked into a corporate account with Verizon. I personally also like EV-DO, but its hardly usable on my treo 700w and I don't believe that will get any better with this new phone. Until ANYONE can compete with a decent implementation of Opera or webkit with a big screen, Half-VGA or better screen, EV-DO/HSDPA just won't matter. Not in the USA where no one makes video calls.

About Verizon "slowly uncrippling" bluetooth.. WTF does that mean? Bluetooth is only used for a few things aka headsets, gps, and syncing. Most people just want to use a headset and get their ringtones, pictures, and video on and off their phone. Its been 5+ years since bluetooth found its way to mobile phones and YOU STILL CANNOT MOVE A ****** PICTURE OFF A VERIZON PHONE.

The UI is certainly an improvement on that LG, but if you think it comes anywhere CLOSE to an iphone, then you OBVIOUSLY haven't used one.

If you are truly comparing this device and an Iphone as a whole, again, you obviously haven't used an iPhone. You just CANNOT say it comes anywhere IN THE SAME BALLPARK as an iphone.

1) Interface: Best interface on a device ever vs crap iphone ripoff
2) Controls: Multitouch vs standard touchscreen
3) Screen: 3+" 480x320 vs 2.5+" 320x240
4) Web browsing: Near-Desktop Class browser + decent speed vs total CRAP browser + 3G EVDO
5) use as an iPod: 8GB onboard - beautiful interface - coverflow vs mediocre interface + $300 8GB SD card
6) Itunes Wifi music store $0.99 128kbps/$1.29 256kbps song vs VCAST wmv DRM $2.00 song 128kbps

puckhead193
Oct 3, 2007, 09:13 PM
hopefully this will make apple make the iphone 3g soon. Hopefully by March

bousozoku
Oct 3, 2007, 09:28 PM
Thats false. Vz is CDMA but you still can not take a Vz phone and sign up to Sprint with it.

That's the big point. Verizon has some good phones that I would like to use on Sprint but it won't work there or on any other CDMA provider.

I'm surprised that we haven't heard anything more about the Prada phone. I saw one recently in a store that sells unlocked phones. Still, Voyager might help push Apple to make things better to draw more customers.

I'd rather have faster data access, in any case.

strurtle
Oct 3, 2007, 10:41 PM
Will it blend?

That is the question.

jcammo123
Oct 3, 2007, 11:05 PM
Will it blend?

That is the question.

LMAO man...
nice

but seriously...
this phone is similar to that helio thing....
cool features n everything....
but its missing the "WOW" factor.
and thats where it counts

Zwhaler
Oct 3, 2007, 11:13 PM
I might get one of those if its like 349...

cuz itd cost about 300 more to get an iPhone (before I even buy the phone)

lawcomic
Oct 3, 2007, 11:29 PM
Right, is this the same Verizon where if you go in the store to buy a replacement batt for the last phone you upgraded to with them, they don't have that batt and suggest you get a newer phone although it's not time for another upgrade yet? Or else buy the batt online and pay shipping? That Verizon?

Really, you want to get into a discussion about access to batteries in defense of the iPhone?

eric55lv
Oct 3, 2007, 11:52 PM
they all look ugly

DMann
Oct 4, 2007, 12:05 AM

Interesting how Nokia, Moto, LG, Sony, etc. have been designing cells for over 12 years. Apple comes along with a prototype, and steals the show. You better believe they're gonna try to clone it - they're in it for business, and what sells, sells. Besides, they've already lost billions on duds like the ROKR, and need to recoup their losses with something which has a proven lust factor. Too bad these lazy un-innovative bastards won't be able to emulate the interface, OS, and sleek functionality - Apple's innovation continues to leave them all in the dust....

jarenado
Oct 4, 2007, 12:23 AM
im sure this is a nice phone, but lets get serious, it will be at least a couple of years before there is a phone that is as sleak, user friendly, and versatile as the iphone. Granted I think I am low balling it by saying a couple of years. People said that about the iPod, and last i checked, nothing has come out yet to slay the iPod. But as some have said, competition is good, and will keep apple innovating, and on the cutting edge.

AppleMatt389
Oct 4, 2007, 12:36 AM
They've got to be joking. The calendar icon is almost identical to the iPhone calendar icon. And the dock type thing at the bottom with quick access to phone etc. Complete ripoff. I may be wrong in saying that they've copied Apple directly, but it sure looks like it to me.

:apple:Matt

tm1000
Oct 4, 2007, 12:44 AM
I love it how so many people will post the iphone hate and yet not post that other cell phone makers and networks are doing the same or worst in a lot of cases.

I mean yah you can't do your own ringtone (thank you god!) but the ones you can do are $1.99(with a whole song) cents not $2.49 which a price I have heard.

You are correct. Ringtones on sprint are 2.50 american dollars. you don't even get the full song for that price!

Devil's Refugee
Oct 4, 2007, 12:52 AM
It's fat and has a foldaway keyboard.

When are manufacturers going to realise that people don't want the same rehashed ***** with a bigger screen. I'm glad Apple pushed the boundary with the iPhone and changed the way mobiles are going. The UI is a dream. It was a brave move, and whilst v1 may have it's problems Apple can only learn from the experience and raise the bar even higher. Nokia, Moto, LG, SE will forever be playing catchup until they push money into serious R&D.

SAMTATSICPRO
Oct 4, 2007, 03:29 AM
yeah, Verizon will kill themselves when they see that 10 phones will only sell...

iPhone will go ahead and Destroy the missile before it hits!

it's kinda Like a : KEA V.S. BMW

LOL

neilw
Oct 4, 2007, 06:35 AM
Ah, but intelligent marketing people know that when you say "my product will kill the XXXX", all you're really doing is giving the XXXX product free advertising. The smart way to say it is "my product is a cutting edge product that will kill the competition" (if you must say "kill"). That way, you don't actually specify who the "competition" is.

All in all, identifying your product as a "______-killer" is fool-hardy. If someone in the press who is reviewing your product wants to do that, fine. But to say it yourself is fraught with problems.

Indeed, and notice that Apple is very careful about not making this mistake. They'll talk during keynotes about how much better it is than whatever (e.g. OSX vs. latest Windows incarnation), but for the most part they talk about how everyone else is trying to catch up to *them*. The message is drummed home constantly, "We are the leader, everyone is chasing us (and failing)." Apple's well-tuned message, along with the popular press* and idiot competitors, consistently reinforces Apple's image as the leader.

*even publications slanted against Apple talk about iPod-killers, or iPhone-killers, or whatever.

LizKat
Oct 4, 2007, 07:20 AM

Yah talk to any of them about their "partnered" coverage areas sometime.

Don't talk to them from your cell while you're IN one of those areas, though :)

joeconvert
Oct 4, 2007, 08:44 AM

And if they were where else would you use it? Even unlocked, it wouldn't work on Sprint.

Baron58
Oct 4, 2007, 08:45 AM

So you can use it on.... ummm... yeah.... it's proprietary CDMA, so you can't use it anywhere else on a GSM carrier.

Oh, you mean so you can swap in another SIM - wait... yeah... CDMA phones don't use SIMs.

Your comparison = FAIL

mixel
Oct 4, 2007, 09:16 AM
Eh, the people saying the rest of the industry is reacting to the iphone.. Of course they are.. "iPhone killer" doesn't even imply they're similar - they really aren't - they're just both phones.

But copying it? Especially these Voyagers.. They're nothing like the iphone.. Big screens aren't revolutionary.. Fold out keyboard! It's just business as usual for LG, updating their lines as normal.. Its hardly a big shift in anything.

Everyone looking through these apple tinted spectacles, it's creepy. Yes the iphone is iconic but its only evolutionary, and in directions the industry as a whole was going beforehand anyway. - As new components are made available teams of guys at every company are always working on how they could be used. (apple have good people) big screens weren't practical before. The main thing Apple have brought to the table is their usual interface expertise and simplicity through inflexibility. (sometimes a good thing- ipod, iphone, itunes.. Sometimes a bad thing;- iMovie08)

Oh, I don't like the look of these Voyagers much either, though i do like fold/slide out kbs generally.

Clive At Five
Oct 4, 2007, 10:13 AM

Maybe they let the Power Macintosh G4 fall into the wrong hands (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzxz3k2zQJI)...

;)

I loved that commercial.

-Clive

bayportbob
Oct 4, 2007, 10:49 AM

it probably is not "as good" as the iPhone is perceived to be by almost all.

i did not and will not buy an iPhone because i cannot live with the at&t phone system quality. if it is not as good as verizon's phone coverage then i don't want to switch, which i will not and did not do.

i think that the iPhone is a nice device but first and formost it is a phone to me and it has to work as good or better than the one i have now and with at&t that is not going to be the case where i live and travel and work. simply said.

i will look at the verizon voyager to replace my moto phone i have now and if it looks like it will do the job for me i will buy it because there is no option to get an iPhone with verizon.

i really don't need an iPod to be my phone but the user interface is cool on the iPhone.

if nothing else the iPhone is moving the mobile handset technology along to the benefit of everyone with all of the carriers trying to come up with some viable answer to the iPhone, which is good.

ozziegn
Oct 4, 2007, 11:27 AM
I think it's funny that it took Apple 5+ years from cenception to product availability on the iPhone and here comes Verizon and invents an "iPhone killer" within a couple of months.

yeah right, whatever.... keep dreaming Verizon, keep dreaming. :rolleyes:

bytethese
Oct 4, 2007, 11:35 AM
This is your "iPhone Killer"? It's more like an angry gnat that Apple will swat without thinking twice.

That think is UGLY for one, smaller screen, look like it'll break after 2mo using it too. Wow...

motomullet
Oct 4, 2007, 11:38 AM
Who are they kidding? The screen quality look like crap. iPhone has much better looking graphics, let alone the horrible red VZ interface. I am switching to AT&T + iPhone as soon as I can. I would never consider this device.

citi
Oct 4, 2007, 11:46 AM
It's funny, as I read through 5 pages of LG sucks, they copied apple, the only thing I see are people justifying their purchases and maybe their own existence. It's just silly.

Do you think BMW owners get mad when Hyundai comes out with a car that looks like theirs?

If you buy a house in Beverly Hills, do you make fun of the guy that had to buy a KB Home in Palmdale?

What is wrong with you people? I love apple, I love my apple products, but they did not discover the holy grail. Get off their junk. This kind of hatred for others (people that don't do what you want them to) only goes to perpetuate the attitude that apple owners are snobs.

The new zune comes out...you butcher it. Why? If you don't like it, don't buy one, but don't make someone feel like crap because they did. Let's be real there are a lot of reasons why some don't by apple products.

They can't afford them,
they can't use them at work,
they have no cell coverage.
They just don't like them.

None of these reasons should be used to ridicule their products choices.

You all make me ashamed to be an apple product owner. They are just material things, they are not curing CANCER.

jonnylink
Oct 4, 2007, 11:49 AM
$100+SD cards aren't that expensive try $75+ (http://www.nextag.com/8gb-sd-card/search-html), still not a bargain, but $25 is quite a difference.

is Apple a phone carrier now? are we going to start blaming the Iraq war on Apple too? first, that is a pretty ridiculous analogy. Second, with Apple sharing revenue for the service the line between phone maker and carrier is a bit blurred. Sure they aren't technically a carrier, but they are so tangled up with AT&T that you can't blame someone for not seeing a big difference.

I am glad that people are copying the iPhone, that can only mean good things. Either the iPhone will adapt to compete or other phones will do a better job than the iPhone and bury it. Either way the consumer wins.

ps. I'd put my money on Apple in the long run. Though I do think that there will be some good rivals in the next year or so. It depends on whether Apple is willing to make the iPhone more useful (open)— clearly some other phone makers are looking at that road as a possible way to trump the iPhone.

EDIT:
I'm still for Apple's iPhone all the way since OS X remains top notch.
Let's quit bragging that the iPhone is running OS X. It isn't (http://apple.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/01/13/1746234), it isn't opensource which Darwin is and which OS X relies on so it can't be OS X in any meaningful way.

jshbckr
Oct 4, 2007, 12:23 PM
SD cards aren't that expensive try $75+ (http://www.nextag.com/8gb-sd-card/search-html), still not a bargain, but $25 is quite a difference.

SD != MicroSD. MicroSD is much more expensive.

citi
Oct 4, 2007, 12:35 PM
SD != MicroSD. MicroSD is much more expensive.

No, they are not any more expensive. They now just put the micro sd in a standard sd adapter. You can use them interchangeably.

6gb sandisk micro sd $84.95 at Amazon
4gb sandisk Micro sd $43.99 at amazon

JD914
Oct 4, 2007, 12:38 PM
When this phone flops Verizon will be giving them away free early next year. I'm no Apple fanatic and I have had my share of smart phones but the iPhone despite it's down sides still is hands down the best phone I have owned. Those are going to be pretty big shoes to fill for the other cellular companies. The iPhone has stepped up the game as far as cell phones go weather you agree or not. If they brand something "iPhone killer" or claim that they have better product they better deliver or else.

citi
Oct 4, 2007, 01:39 PM
When this phone flops Verizon will be giving them away free early next year. I'm no Apple fanatic and I have had my share of smart phones but the iPhone despite it's down sides still is hands down the best phone I have owned. Those are going to be pretty big shoes to fill for the other cellular companies. The iPhone has stepped up the game as far as cell phones go weather you agree or not. If they brand something "iPhone killer" or claim that they have better product they better deliver or else.

Best phone or not, they don't have to kill the iphone nor convince everyone that this is the best phone on the market.. They just have to convince their customers that what they offer is good enough for them to stick around, and this phone may be "good enough". It's not about getting new customers, it's about keeping the ones you have. Business 101 will tell you it cost more to get new clients than to keep the old ones.

mozmac
Oct 4, 2007, 02:02 PM
So let me see if I understand them correctly. The Voyager has many features similar to the iPhone, so it will "kill". However, it lacks multitouch, has a built-in keyboard, and lower built-in memory? So...how is this any different from every other smart phone already out there? The only killing will be the product line itself in a couple years.

muttley1211
Oct 4, 2007, 02:20 PM
Some people don't want to have AT&T. This phone is a good substitute. While it might not be quite as cool as the iPhone it is still a cool phone.

Maybe I am wrong, but I think I read somewhere that they were working on this phone before the iPhone was introduced at Macworld..... so I don't think they copied apple. I know it is weird that someone else actually thought of a touchscreen phone ;)

Competition is good :)

alljunks
Oct 4, 2007, 03:12 PM
iphone iphone iphone!!

levitynyc
Oct 4, 2007, 03:18 PM
iphone iphone iphone!!

The Voyager is the last straw for me. I am a longtime Verizon customer and I was really looking forward to this new phone when I heard about it a few months ago. Seeing the final product has made me switch to AT&T and buy an iPhone. I don't think the problem is the phone, but the way Verizon service is set up. The Vcast is extra, the data plan is extra, ringtones are $2.50, it doesnt have a real web browser. I do have to say, the cell service is excellent and the free IN calling is convenient.

citi
Oct 4, 2007, 04:27 PM
The Voyager is the last straw for me. I am a longtime Verizon customer and I was really looking forward to this new phone when I heard about it a few months ago. Seeing the final product has made me switch to AT&T and buy an iPhone. I don't think the problem is the phone, but the way Verizon service is set up. The Vcast is extra, the data plan is extra, ringtones are $2.50, it doesnt have a real web browser. I do have to say, the cell service is excellent and the free IN calling is convenient.

You are right there is no 59.00 plan like AT&T but besides that plan for 79.99 you get all of the services for free. It is their "premium plan" That is right in line with AT& T's 900 minute unlimited nights and weekend plan, plus you get unlimited SMS, MMS and vcast.

Trust me, if the iphone was on verizon I would get it, but ALL of my friends and family are on verizon. It just doesn't make financial sense.

megfilmworks
Oct 4, 2007, 07:22 PM
News Alert!!
Steve Jobs cries Uncle!
Dateline Cupertino:
Steve Jobs has announced the recall of all iPhones and a complete halt to manufacture.
"We can't possibly compete with the iPhone killer so we will just fold up shop and try to salvage the iPod product line."
:rolleyes:

MattG
Oct 4, 2007, 08:33 PM
Yeah yeah yeah...every few months someone comes out something that they say is going to be an Apple whatever-killer and it never happens. Next please.

megfilmworks
Oct 4, 2007, 08:47 PM
Re: hacking the SIM on Verizon.

That won't work even if someone wants to since Verizon does not use SIM cards.

Interesting, I remember hearing that once. Is that the future? Can they be unlocked? Can they be locked?
Thanks.

objc
Oct 4, 2007, 09:47 PM
4) Web browsing: Near-Desktop Class browser + decent speed vs total CRAP browser + 3G EVDO
Umm... have you seen the videos on youtube? Browsing on EDGE looking damn slow to me.

5) use as an iPod: 8GB onboard - beautiful interface - coverflow vs mediocre interface + $300 8GB SD card
Um... $60 on newegg? You're only off by a factor of 5.

6) Itunes Wifi music store $0.99 128kbps/$1.29 256kbps song vs VCAST wmv DRM $2.00 song 128kbps
Yeah, no wmv DRM crap for me. I only rarely buy iTunes cause of the DRM and less-than CD quality too.

muskratboy
Oct 4, 2007, 10:04 PM
And Nokia is like the top cell phone in the industry. I think they will release a better cell phone later, and say bye bye to iPhone..

Yes, you very smart. You make lots sense. Nokia is like, tops ... and will kill ALL phones, everywhere, when they come out with better phone later.

Can I say bye bye to iPhone now, to save time later?

Bye bye iPhone! Nokia is coming! You are dead soon!

DMann
Oct 4, 2007, 10:21 PM
I waiting for the cellphone that will be released Nokia is like the top cell phone in the industry. I think they will release a better cell phone later, and say bye bye to iPhone.. l

It's not likely that Apple will sit on it's ass while Nokia desperately tries to out innovate them.

maokh
Oct 5, 2007, 01:29 AM

Exactly. Verizon is a CDMA network. Of course its locked down. You couldnt take it to Sprint (the other major, national CDMA carrier) if you wanted to ... Sprint wont touch it.

CDMA phones are also not SIM based. They have an ESN which you need to provide to the carrier...and they will check to see if its a phone they sell or have previously sold before activation. Also, due to very heavy carrier customization of firmware, even if Sprint/Verizon let you activate another carriers phone, you would be limited to voice only.

No, they do not "unlock" the phone. Verizon will *never* provide you the MSL code (master subsidy lock) after your contract is up. yeah, you can trick them sometimes by making them think they need to reprovison your phone. And even if they did, what would you do with it? Take it to who?

I know of only one, very small CDMA carrier that will let you do this. Again, those flashy features go bye-bye on activation.

maokh
Oct 5, 2007, 01:40 AM
Exactly. I think that Nokia and RIM are going to give Apple a run for their money, if even they can. And, while I have my doubts, god I hope they do. Apple really, really needs some serious competition.

The RIM looks nice, but what really makes the iphone stand out is its UI and capacitive multitouch screen. No more awful, nappy resistive "touch" screens that you have to put massive pressure on to even get to register...and no more silly stylus pens to always lose.

its a pretty sad situation. Wording like "iPhone killer" just makes the situation even funnier. Instead of being able to come up with something innovative, LG, Blackberry, and Nokia come up with some knee jerk reaction copycat design over a year late.

None of these companies are really known for compelling interfaces either. Nokia, perhaps, but nothing like apple. Blackberry is cluttered. LG did okay on the voyager, but they are still trying to shake that cheap image.... and after watching their low end CDMA phones litterally fall apart in people's hands, i think they have a few more years.

Oh..and i should note...LG...wow....i am very happy to see that this phone features tactle response. its a about freaking time. I have used a navigation system with this type of "haptic" response....does wonders on the brain. it feels like a real button. iphone, if you could only gently vibrate the same way on touch.

levitynyc
Oct 5, 2007, 10:05 AM
You are right there is no 59.00 plan like AT&T but besides that plan for 79.99 you get all of the services for free. It is their "premium plan" That is right in line with AT& T's 900 minute unlimited nights and weekend plan, plus you get unlimited SMS, MMS and vcast.

Trust me, if the iphone was on verizon I would get it, but ALL of my friends and family are on verizon. It just doesn't make financial sense.

I had the Verizon 39.99 plan. Plus it cost me 10 a month for text, 8 bucks for internet. There alone is a reason to switch. For a dollar more a month you get so much more. Plus this new Voyager phone doesnt have Wi-Fi.

citi
Oct 5, 2007, 10:41 AM
I had the Verizon 39.99 plan. Plus it cost me 10 a month for text, 8 bucks for internet. There alone is a reason to switch. For a dollar more a month you get so much more. Plus this new Voyager phone doesnt have Wi-Fi.

can't argue with that, you should go. Wi-fI is cool but to me is too gimmicky, if you have 3g, than you probably don't need wi-fi plus that fact that you suck battery life like noone's business. My laptop is wi-fi and makes sense, even ipod touch wi-fi makes sense. I have yet to determine why it makes sense on your cell phone.

joshkugler
Oct 5, 2007, 10:52 AM
can't argue with that, you should go. Wi-fI is cool but to me is too gimmicky, if you have 3g, than you probably don't need wi-fi plus that fact that you suck battery life like noone's business. My laptop is wi-fi and makes sense, even ipod touch wi-fi makes sense. I have yet to determine why it makes sense on your cell phone.

Why does it make sense on the iPod Touch, a media player, and not on the iPhone, a communications device? Your argument makes no sense. A cell phone is a communications device. Wi-fi is another means to communicate via the internet. Makes sense to me.

And by the way, 3G drains battery life faster than Wi-Fi.

Unspeaked
Oct 5, 2007, 11:06 AM
SD cards aren't that expensive try $75+ (http://www.nextag.com/8gb-sd-card/search-html), still not a bargain, but $25 is quite a difference.

Yeah, I could probably find them for under $50 if I looked around, but I was presuming we were talking about what the average Verizon user who'd buy this phone would pay - they're not going to shop around, they'd just pick up the first card they found on a shelf in BestBuy (at which a quick search reveals prices in upwards of $200 for an 8GB card).

Telp
Oct 5, 2007, 11:08 AM
people really take those slogans seriously. This kid just came up to me telling me my phone was crap and that its gunna be even worse when verizon introduces their "iPhone killer". I couldn't help but to laugh. On well. Let people believe whatever they want to. There problem not mine.

citi
Oct 5, 2007, 11:13 AM
Why does it make sense on the iPod Touch, a media player, and not on the iPhone, a communications device? Your argument makes no sense. A cell phone is a communications device. Wi-fi is another means to communicate via the internet. Makes sense to me.

And by the way, 3G drains battery life faster than Wi-Fi.

First off, it wasn't an argument, it was a personal opinion. Second, 3g does NOT drain battery life faster than Wi-FI. Check your sources.

My issue is simple, if you have an always on connection, why would you switch to a wi-fi spot just to get a faster connection. If it was 3g and not edge you probably wouldn't want to use wi-fi. I have a phone with wi-fi and 3g and it just doesn't make sense for me. I said FOR ME. :)

joshkugler
Oct 5, 2007, 11:34 AM
First off, it wasn't an argument, it was a personal opinion. Second, 3g does NOT drain battery life faster than Wi-FI. Check your sources.

My issue is simple, if you have an always on connection, why would you switch to a wi-fi spot just to get a faster connection. If it was 3g and not edge you probably wouldn't want to use wi-fi. I have a phone with wi-fi and 3g and it just doesn't make sense for me. I said FOR ME. :)

Read this article, it's pretty conclusive that the iPhone would run longer on Wi-Fi than if it used current 3G chipsets.

http://www.anandtech.com/gadgets/showdoc.aspx?i=3036

Using 3G on the Blackberry you only get 165 minutes browsing the web, whereas with Wi-Fi on the iPhone you can browse 428.
Checking email - 3G Blackberry: 504 minutes, iPhone Wi-Fi: 589 minutes
Streaming YouTube Videos - 3G Blackberry: 186 minutes, iPhone Wi-Fi: 231 minutes
Talk Time with 3G enabled on Blackberry: 251 minutes, Talk-Time with Wi-Fi enabled on iPhone: 359 minutes.

Also, 3G is great if you live in an area you can find it, but I live in a small rural town, and don't have access to it. If I were to buy a voyager, 3G wouldn't benefit me at all, whereas even in my small town, there are a lot of Wi-Fi hotspots available.

DMann
Oct 5, 2007, 12:28 PM

Considering that the iPhone renders true web-pages, not to mention YouTube, Wi-fi is a most desirable feature. 3G will suck alot more battery life out of a phone than Wi-fi does, and 3Gs coverage thus far is spotty at best. Greatly looking forward to Wi-Max in the near future. Intel's new mobile chip will provide both Wi-Max (up to 20 mile radius) as well as 3G. Hopefully, Wi-Max will continue to develop at a similar pace.

citi
Oct 5, 2007, 12:31 PM
Also, 3G is great if you live in an area you can find it, but I live in a small rural town, and don't have access to it. If I were to buy a voyager, 3G wouldn't benefit me at all, whereas even in my small town, there are a lot of Wi-Fi hotspots available.

I don't use a blackberry and I am using 3g evdo so I will take your word that it's true. I have used wi-fi in my house on my xv 6700 and I only got like 45 minutes online. It was a lot longer on my 6700. I think it depends on how you use your connection and the processing power on the phone. I believe iphone uses a lower power wi-fi radio. I haven't been completely impressed by the wi-fi speeds on the iphone when I tested it in the apple store. If I turn on my wi-fi on my 6700 at home, my connection flies. Wi-fi on the iphone seems a little slow. IMHO

Of course, you living in a rural area, really makes sense to use wi-fi. I'm sitting in So Cal so I have never run into dead spots

dante@sisna.com
Oct 5, 2007, 06:15 PM
I don't use a blackberry and I am using 3g evdo so I will take your word that it's true. I have used wi-fi in my house on my xv 6700 and I only got like 45 minutes online. It was a lot longer on my 6700. I think it depends on how you use your connection and the processing power on the phone. I believe iphone uses a lower power wi-fi radio. I haven't been completely impressed by the wi-fi speeds on the iphone when I tested it in the apple store. If I turn on my wi-fi on my 6700 at home, my connection flies. Wi-fi on the iphone seems a little slow. IMHO

Of course, you living in a rural area, really makes sense to use wi-fi. I'm sitting in So Cal so I have never run into dead spots

I will take Edge Plus WiFi over 3G any day of the week. Edge is very slow, but it WORKS nearly everywhere, even in rural areas. Last week I was camping/mountain biking for 4 days at Gooseberry Mesa Outside of Zion's Park in Southern Utah. I ran my business via Edge while cooking breakfast with friends and preparing my bike. I returned a dozen emails, checked a PDF proof via Safari via web login, updated a text based blog, etc. When I need speed I seek out wifi. I'd take this battery and service preserving dynamic duo anyday of the week over 3G.

I have used a lot of phones: none comes close to my iPhone.

Not a Fanboy, this is just MY reality.

Bentov
Oct 5, 2007, 06:43 PM

I haven't seen CGA graphics in years :D

Lara F
Oct 5, 2007, 10:55 PM
Here's a better picture, for what it's worth:
http://i.cmpnet.com/infoweek/galleries/automated/102/Voyager_full.jpg

The only good reason I can see for calling it an "iPhone killer" is that it will intrigue people enough to take a look. But overall ITA that it was a stupid thing to say especially from a chief marketing officer, and *especially* from the company that reportedly rejected Apple (yes, as a Verizon customer I'm bitter). A true killer product should speak for itself.

But at least it's something for those sticking with Verizon...

surferfromuk
Oct 6, 2007, 05:05 PM
It's like selling cheese on toast in your restaurant and telling your customers it's a 'Pizza Beater'.

motomullet
Oct 6, 2007, 05:29 PM
That vz navigator icon looks exciting

DMann
Oct 6, 2007, 09:53 PM
It's like selling cheese on toast in your restaurant and telling your customers it's a 'Pizza Beater'.

Brilliant analogy!

blipper
Oct 6, 2007, 10:02 PM
YOU STILL CANNOT MOVE A ****** PICTURE OFF A VERIZON PHONE.

I assume smartphones are excepted as when I had a Treo 600 on Verizon I could move pictures off with the USB sync. It wasn't worth it, though. I'd rather have a smaller phone with better sound quality and no need for a data plan. So I have one of the LGs now.

dangleheart
Oct 7, 2007, 01:55 PM

:D

Wayfarer
Oct 7, 2007, 02:10 PM
That vz navigator icon looks exciting

I KNOW, RIGHT?

The Navigator, My Music, and Calendar icons are blatant ripoffs.

timerollson
Oct 7, 2007, 07:47 PM
I have Verizon but I'm definitely not getting this phone. I'm not too fond of LGs after my horrid experience with the Chocolate, pos. I'd leave if their network wasn't so damn good.

With all that went into the phone, you'd think Verizon would fix their ugly ass UI.

Sweetfeld28
Oct 7, 2007, 08:24 PM
When i came to this thread i was expecting something better than the [IMO] crappy LG Voyager.

The only phone i have seen, or played with that is even remotly an iPhone killer is the Nokia N95 (http://europe.nokia.com/phones/n95).
I have been recently thinking about getting this insead of the iPhone come Feburary, when my contract with Verizon is up.

ajl917
Oct 8, 2007, 08:50 AM
Trying to be as unbiased as possible, its not even close to an iPhone killer because you still have to open up the phone to type and do other stuff. The only way you could call someone an "iPhone Killer" is if it was all on one screen, and you could do everything on that screen.

zoetmb
Oct 8, 2007, 11:37 AM
If this phone has any hopes at all, it better not use the Verizon UI that's currently on the Motorola Razor phones because that UI took several steps backwards from previous UIs.

I would admit to being interested in this phone because as much as I don't like Verizon, AT&T service is so much worse. My contract is up in January so decision time is coming pretty soon.

DMann
Oct 8, 2007, 02:51 PM
If this phone has any hopes at all, it better not use the Verizon UI that's currently on the Motorola Razor phones because that UI took several steps backwards from previous UIs.

I would admit to being interested in this phone because as much as I don't like Verizon, AT&T service is so much worse. My contract is up in January so decision time is coming pretty soon.

I've been using both AT&T and T-Mobile for the past five years. Surprisingly, AT&T has improved dramatically during the past 3 months. Edge seems to be working faster, signals are more consistent, have more clarity, and Customer Service even seems to be slightly more competent - hopefully this trend will continue. Not to mention that roll-over minutes are a great advantage for AT&T customers.

michaelsviews
Nov 22, 2007, 12:56 PM
If you like locked down crippled devices than go buy one.

VZW has a great network and awesome CS and TS, but what you pay for in xtra's is not worth it in my budget.

AT&T is improving vastly, there's always going to be something else that comes along and says its better.

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone