PDA

View Full Version : My Mac Pro is a friggin' fighter jet

Karpfish
Oct 3, 2007, 04:55 PM
In the past few days my Mac Pro has had the fans going crazy at certain points. It also woke up from sleep in the middle of the night. It's really annoying me. Anyone else have this problem?

statikcat
Oct 3, 2007, 05:05 PM
Odd.. mine is super silent unless I am rendering. When I first bought it it freaked me out because I walked into my appt and it was silent.. where as before my G5 was always constantly making some noise I had adjusted to.

erickkoch
Oct 3, 2007, 05:13 PM
Mine is quiet as a mouse pissing on cotton. On several rare occasions it has woken from sleep sometime after midnight but otherwise no problems. Did you recently update the firmware? I think the latest upgrade had something to do with the fans.

Karpfish
Oct 3, 2007, 08:37 PM
thats it! i forgot about the firmware update, it started after i did that. any wsy to donwgrade?

Sharky II
Oct 3, 2007, 09:24 PM
Mine is quiet as a mouse pissing on cotton.heh

trainguy77
Oct 3, 2007, 09:28 PM
Before you even look into downgrading download something to measure your temperatures with and fan speeds. It could be something is getting hotter then it should so its speeding up the fans. In which case downgrading the EFI is the last thing you want to do. Could be dust or bad ventilation around the mac pro.

Karpfish
Oct 3, 2007, 10:08 PM
I would agree with that, but the fans go down after a minute or two(I guess I forgot to mention that) so I know its nto a problem with heat.

darthraige
Oct 3, 2007, 10:41 PM
It happens to my brothers G5 too. Bugs the crap out of him. Not sure what to say.

product26
Oct 4, 2007, 12:20 AM
click here (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=304123) you need to reset your SMC

TantalizedMind
Oct 9, 2007, 04:54 PM
I didn't know Mac Pros had gun turrets and could fly!

CatharticFlux
Oct 9, 2007, 06:48 PM
It happens to my brothers G5 too. Bugs the crap out of him. Not sure what to say.

Well, the G5 Quicksilver Powermac was an entirely different beast. That thing almost literally sounded like a friggin' wind tunnel. I don't think I've ever heard a louder computer to tell you the truth.

I'm also going to second the advice NOT to downgrade the EFI until you've carefully monitored temperatures at different CPU loads... and even then I'm not sure it's the best idea (is it even possible?) to downgrade firmware.

robemich
Oct 9, 2007, 08:26 PM
click here (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=304123) you need to reset your SMC

I reset my SMC according to the instructions using the SMC Reset button on the motherboard. No luck. I still get the Blue Angels air show when my Mac Pro wakes.

My Mac Pro also has always had a problem going to bed at night. It tries and tries to sleep, but always wakes up right as it is falling asleep. I hear the spin down, and then it spins right back up. When I force it to sleep, of course it goes, but rarely on its own. But that's another thread for another time.

The fan thing is starting to piss me off though. It didn't do that before the last SMC upgrade.

-mike

irishgrizzly
Oct 9, 2007, 08:55 PM
I didn't know Mac Pros had gun turrets and could fly!

No, coming in the next revision :D

Rasheem
Oct 15, 2007, 10:15 PM
Mine woke up once during the night a few months ago it woke me up and scarred the snot out of me. Then a when i did the most recent firmware update it blew the fans once super hard and cleaned out all the dust inside (unfortunately at the cost of making me sneeze a few times). To tell you the truth i kinda like the fans when they get loud, it reminds me just how much of a beast the MacPro is.

Fearless Leader
Oct 15, 2007, 10:20 PM
well my fighter jet just doesn't fly any more all it does it compute. May they got switched at the drycleaners?

fairnymph
Oct 16, 2007, 06:43 PM
Yep mine's been going pyscho lately. It definitely started after the firmware update. :\