PDA

View Full Version : Challenge! How do I keep my albums together when being selected by a Smart Playlist?

owen-b
Oct 3, 2007, 06:16 PM
Hi all,

I want to create a smart playlist that puts all my 5 star albums (I have about 3GB of these in my library at present), most of my 4 star albums, and only 4GB of my 3 star albums (selected by least played), to a maximum of 12GB, for my iPod touch.

I've got a load of smart playlists going on - one for all my 5 star albums, one for all my 3 star albums to a total of 4GB selected by least played, and one for my 4 star albums that haven't been played in the last month.

I put them all together in a new smart playlist, the reasoning being that I'll get ALL my 5 star albums, 4GB of 3 star albums, and the rest made up of whatever fits into the limit set at the bottom of this playlist.

But of course that doesn't work. For one thing, there's no way of making sure that ALL my 5 star albums go in the playlist every single time, no doubt due to the 12GB capacity limit messing things up. Secondly, and MOST frustatingly, as soon as you start to set a capacity limit selected by anything at all, iTunes appears to start splitting up albums and selecting the individual songs randomly, or by least played, or whatever you select, as opposed to whole albums.

So my big problem at the moment is how do I limit a playlist by capacity and NOT break up the albums? If I turn on Shuffle By Album, that keeps them together (apparently) but would mean I'm forced to listen to whole albums when I shuffle, both on iTunes and my iPod, and I don't want that - I want to shuffle the tracks.

So, how can it be done?

Cheers!

yetanotherdave
Oct 3, 2007, 07:21 PM
If I'm reading what you meant correctly, you should be able to create a playlist that has the rules

match any of the following rules
playlist is "5 star albums"
playlist is "4 star albums"
playlist is "4gigs of 3star"

so in total you have 4 playlists, thee that define your 5, 4 snd 4 gigs of 3 star, then group them all together with the one above

oh, and use the "limit to 4 gig, selected by album" option.

owen-b
Oct 3, 2007, 07:28 PM
close, but not quite! I want the master playlist to limit the contents to 12gb, and thats where the problems come in.

EDIT does selecting by album not actually mean select alphabetically by album? If so thats no good...

yetanotherdave
Oct 3, 2007, 07:37 PM
close, but not quite! I want the master playlist to limit the contents to 12gb, and thats where the problems come in.

EDIT does selecting by album not actually mean select alphabetically by album? If so thats no good...

I've been using multiple playlists to keep my content down to fit on my ipod touch, probably similar to what you are doing. I use the "master playlist" to see the total size, then limit one of the playlists accordingly.

one of my platlists is
match all
date added - last 20 weeks
podcast is false
album is not music video
size is less than 20Mb
limit to 500 items selected by album

the result is a bunch of complete albums added in the last 20 weeks, change 20 weeks to 3star albums and that should work for you.

owen-b
Oct 4, 2007, 01:20 AM
CHeers Dr - I'll have a look later but I think I might have a problem with that as those options don't restrict the 4* albums at all. In my library is 3GB of 5*, and 9GB of 4* - I want to have all those 5* but only about 70-80% of the 4* - or however much is left over when from the following equation:

12GB - (5* + 4GBx3*)

Also, the settings you suggest are quite specific and don't really work for randomising the selection, and 'Selected By Album' takes the results from those other parameters and then filters them down further by alphabetic order, which is no use either...

Still stuck on how to randomise AND keep albums together AND shuffle songs as opposed to albums AND have all my 5* albums AND only around 4GB of least played/random 3* albums AND top the rest up with a selection of least played/random 4* albums...

graemesangels
Apr 7, 2008, 01:57 PM
This thread came the closest to answering my question so I figured maybe somebody on here can help me.

I want to create a smart playlist that does the following:

1. Select x number of albums at random.
2. Preferably ones whose songs have relatively few plays or that, relatively speaking, have not been played recently.

The problem I've been having is that I can't keep the albums together. The closest I've come is to create a playlist that hasn't been played in a while but it only selects the songs on an album that haven't been played much/recently but doesn't also include songs that may have been played recently (which I want it to include).

Hopefully that makes sense and hopefully there is a solution to this.

Thanks.