Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AdamR01

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 2, 2003
I am considering buying a used iBook. I have never bought a mac before. Is it possible to purchase applecare for a used product if it is still under waranty? How would i know if the iBook still is under warranty? I'm pretty sure it is because its an 800MHz one with a combo drive and those came out less than a year ago. Any advice or help is appreciated.

montecristo

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2003
Gotham
The terms of the AppleCare plan can be found here: http://www.apple.com/support/products/proplan_terms.html

Any mac is under an original one-year warranty, and AppleCare must be purchased within that first year. The problem may be to show that it was purchased within that year. (Does anyone know how to do that without a receipt? Serial number might work....) If the mac already has AppleCare, this can be transferred to you, but you have to notify Apple that the plan is being transferred. (Look at the "Transfer of Plan" section paragraph 8 in the link above).

Anyone else have any pointers?

Good luck and enjoy your new mac!

AdamR01

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 2, 2003
Would it be proof enough that the iBook was introduced in November of 2002? That way i could get applecare until November 2005 atleast.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
well whoever you are buying from should have the original receipt, if not see if they registered their computer with apple, if they did that should be enough if i belive.

iJon

montecristo

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2003
Gotham
One other suggestion would be to have the person you are buying it from get the applecare, and then transfer it to you (of course, you would pay him back for the AppleCare). This is probably a last resort, only if you think you will run into problems, but as iJon mentions, if they registered the computer it should be enough.

AdamR01

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 2, 2003
The problem is that I am buying the laptop from a friend who buys laptops and resells them so I dont know the original owner. Hopefully the serial number is enough. Thanks for all the help everyone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.