PDA

View Full Version : Large screen or more ram?

simonmorley1
Aug 28, 2003, 01:00 PM
im having issues making up my mind about buying a G5. i cant decide to go for the 17" screen and 1GB ram or a 20" screen and 1/2 GB Ram.

any suggestions?

Daveman Deluxe
Aug 28, 2003, 01:08 PM
It depends on what you're going to do with it. If you're more of a typical "consumer" (email, word processing, etc.) go for the big screen so you can also watch DVDs.

If you're more into image editing and the like, go for the smaller screen and more RAM. I know a bigger screen is better for those applications, but the need for RAM trumps the need for a large screen.

edesignuk
Aug 28, 2003, 01:14 PM
Get the 20" and 512MB RAM. If you get the 17" you will only sit there looking at it wishing you had put the money towards getting that 20" cinema. 512MB will get you by, and you can upgrade this very easily and cheaply at a later stage, you can't upgrade from a 17" to 20" quite so easily.

edit: BTW, if you do go for a 17" 'regular' ratio LCD, don't get the Apple one, they are out dated, and over priced, better can be had for less.

Rower_CPU
Aug 28, 2003, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by edesignuk
Get the 20" and 512MB RAM. If you get the 17" you will only sit there looking at it wishing you had put the money towards getting that 20" cinema. 512MB will get you by, and you can upgrade this very easily and cheaply at a later stage, you can't upgrade from a 17" to 20" quite so easily.

edit: BTW, if you do go for a 17" 'regular' ratio LCD, don't get the Apple one, they are out dated, and over priced, better can be had for less.

Agreed.

edesignuk
Aug 28, 2003, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by Rower_CPU
Agreed.
Good :D :p :cool:

scgf
Aug 28, 2003, 01:48 PM
I have an Apple 17" display on order along with my G5. I am disappointed that you feel it is old and over-priced. Mind you, I could still cancel it.

What do you recommend? I like the look of the Apple unit and would find it difficult to accept a more traditional-looking screen on these awful stands . .

Open to persuasion!

edesignuk
Aug 28, 2003, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by scgf
I have an Apple 17" display on order along with my G5. I am disappointed that you feel it is old and over-priced. Mind you, I could still cancel it.

What do you recommend? I like the look of the Apple unit and would find it difficult to accept a more traditional-looking screen on these awful stands . .

Open to persuasion!
How about the Formac Gallery 1740 (http://www.formac.com/p_bin/?cid=solutions_displays_gallery1740_01)? The 17" Apple LCD costs 549, the Formac can be had for around 80-150 less, depending on the exact model (what ports u want).