PDA

View Full Version : My iBook G4 Hard drive Upgrade.

Accylad
Oct 4, 2007, 03:47 AM
Well I finally plucked up the courage to open up my trusty 12" Ibook and fit a new 80gb Hitachi hard drive 7200rpm. Scary stuff I can tell you but the machine is up and running nicely. The only real problem I encountered was a couple of soft screws that seemed to be made of butter (I very carefully drilled these bad boys out).
The other issue is actually opening up the white plastic case with the spudgers I purchased from ebay. You have to be very careful but with patience this thing does come apart. Anyone attempting this just make sure you have the right torx/philips screwdrivers and give yourself plenty of time. I used an ice cube tray to put my screws in order of removal so I could simply reverse the process of dismantling it. Dismantling being the correct word!
Anyway, in the next few weeks I will replace the combo with a nice superdrive! My advice do the both at the same time!

California
Oct 4, 2007, 04:19 AM
Well I finally plucked up the courage to open up my trusty 12" Ibook and fit a new 80gb Hitachi hard drive 7200rpm. Scary stuff I can tell you but the machine is up and running nicely. The only real problem I encountered was a couple of soft screws that seemed to be made of butter (I very carefully drilled these bad boys out).
The other issue is actually opening up the white plastic case with the spudgers I purchased from ebay. You have to be very careful but with patience this thing does come apart. Anyone attempting this just make sure you have the right torx/philips screwdrivers and give yourself plenty of time. I used an ice cube tray to put my screws in order of removal so I could simply reverse the process of dismantling it. Dismantling being the correct word!
Anyway, in the next few weeks I will replace the combo with a nice superdrive! My advice do the both at the same time!

I have timed myself and it is a good two hour job. Yeah, you shoulda done the superdrive at the same time.

Accylad
Oct 4, 2007, 08:44 AM
Thanks for the reply. Did you have any issues with your upgrade?