PDA

View Full Version : need help with a specific smart playlist...??

nlivo
Oct 4, 2007, 08:14 AM
I have never ever been able to get smart playlists to do what i want.....ever. I seriously never know what i am doing wrong. Could someone please tell me the settings i need to be able to have all the songs in my library (no movies, no tv shows, no music videos) in a playlist whilst excluding just one artist. please, can someone help me out here. thank you.

bartelby
Oct 4, 2007, 08:16 AM
Artist does not contain?

It that an option?

I'm not sat at a computer with iTunes on.

EDIT: Thinking about it some more, I'm not sure :o

tobefirst
Oct 4, 2007, 08:45 AM
Artist <is not> Nameofartist
Kind <is not> QuickTime movie file
Kind <is not> Protected MPEG-4 video file (if you've purchased music videos)
Kind <is not> MPEG-4 video file

Just do a similar "Kind is not" for all the things you don't want in there. You shouldn't have more than a few different ones. And make sure that "Match ALL" is selected.

mcvaughan
Oct 4, 2007, 11:12 AM
Any thoughts on excluding an iTunes bought audiobook? :)

tobefirst
Oct 4, 2007, 11:20 AM
Any thoughts on excluding an iTunes bought audiobook? :)
If you "Get Info" on the file, you can see what "kind" of file it is, and then exclude that. If it's an Audible book, they have a certain "kind" attached to them. It would, however, be more difficult, I'd imagine, if you ripped the book yourself.

plinden
Oct 4, 2007, 11:20 AM
I have a Music Only smart playlist, where I exclude podcasts, tv shows, music videos and movies. I build other playlists off this one. So you could do "if playlist is Music Only and artist is not XXX" for your specific case.

mcvaughan
Oct 4, 2007, 11:32 AM
If you "Get Info" on the file, you can see what "kind" of file it is, and then exclude that. If it's an Audible book, they have a certain "kind" attached to them. It would, however, be more difficult, I'd imagine, if you ripped the book yourself.

I ended up just excluding the genre (Mystery, in this case) because specifying kind would exclude music as well.

Thanks.