PDA

View Full Version : Appleinsider is reporting...Apple announcements brewing for late October

sblasl
Oct 4, 2007, 09:15 AM
On Thursday morning, Appleinsider is reporting:

"Apple announcements brewing for late October

By AppleInsider Staff
Published: 09:00 AM EST

Apple Inc. has begun preparatory measures for significant announcements to take place during the last full week of October, AppleInsider has been told.

While sources have requested that we not go into detail regarding the specific measures being put into place, they say the announcements are likely to arrive any time between the 22nd and 27th of the month.

Obviously, such a timeframe would coincide with Apple's self-imposed release schedule for Mac OS X Leopard, which the company -- after having delayed the software once -- has promised for "October."

As of Wednesday evening, the source code to Leopard had not yet been frozen and a Gold Master had not yet been declared. However, the operating system in recent weeks has inched closer to this status with the last full builds including only one known issue.

Historically, Apple has tapped the final Friday of the month to roll out its major operating system overhauls. For instance, it launched Mac OS X Tiger on the eve of Friday, April 29, 2005.

Sources have yet to rule out the possibility that Leopard would be accompanied by additional announcements from the Cupertino-based company."

kbrain2929
Oct 4, 2007, 09:18 AM
Whoooo!!! GOOD NEWS!!!

Queso
Oct 4, 2007, 09:19 AM
Woo-hoo!! We're on the Leopard countdown folks :) :cool:

mrkramer
Oct 4, 2007, 09:20 AM
I have a feeling that this is only Leopard but it would be nice to be wrong.

kbrain2929
Oct 4, 2007, 09:21 AM
Woo-hoo!! We're on the Leopard countdown folks :) :cool:

Hypothtical::: 22 days / 8 hours / 3 minutes / 54.09 seconds.... :D What countdown... I don't know about any countdown.... :rolleyes: :apple:

Queso
Oct 4, 2007, 09:22 AM
There's a possibility that SR based MacBooks could be in the offing, and a graphics update to the MacPro is well overdue, but I'm happy if it is just Leopard :)

kbrain2929
Oct 4, 2007, 09:23 AM
There's a possibility that SR based MacBooks could be in the offing, and a graphics update to the MacPro is well overdue, but I'm happy if it is just Leopard :)

I'd be happy no matter what!! The more... the happier I'd be! The less... hey, I'd still be happy! :apple:

jsw
Oct 4, 2007, 09:24 AM
"Sources have yet to rule out the possibility that Leopard would be accompanied by additional announcements from the Cupertino-based company."
Wow... that's pretty compelling. So there's still a possibility of "additional announcements" along with Leopard?

To rephrase: "Sources aren't yet certain that it's impossible that Apple will announce something other than Leopard when Leopard launches."

:rolleyes:

kbrain2929
Oct 4, 2007, 09:27 AM
To be truthful, I'd love to see a Apple HDTV... I know it won't happen, but hey, as Steve would say, maybe later! That'd be sweet! What about those "secret Leopard features from the earlier keynotes?? Could that be announced? :apple:

Creibold
Oct 4, 2007, 09:32 AM
Come'on 17" MBP LED backlighting, I've been holding out for you! :cool:

Scarlet Fever
Oct 4, 2007, 09:35 AM
i want leopard :D

is it just me, or do Appleinsider and Thinksecret always make some note about Apple being a Cupertino-based company?

RichP
Oct 4, 2007, 09:58 AM
Has apple ever released hardware alongside an OS release?

I would tend to think the announcement will be software related. Considering iLife and iWork were already updated, perhaps it is a big change to iTunes (content)

twoodcc
Oct 4, 2007, 09:59 AM
Has apple ever released hardware alongside an OS release?

I would tend to think the announcement will be software related. Considering iLife and iWork were already updated, perhaps it is a big change to iTunes (content)

they could release hardware that tuesday....

netdog
Oct 4, 2007, 10:00 AM
Aperture is due for an update, but I doubt that will be rolled out in a big splash like a Leopard rollout.

twoodcc
Oct 4, 2007, 10:02 AM
Aperture is due for an update, but I doubt that will be rolled out in a big splash like a Leopard rollout.

i doubt it also, but you never know

jockmock
Oct 4, 2007, 11:17 AM
According to Appleinsider: http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/07/10/04/apple_announcements_brewing_for_late_october.html
Yeah baby!

Veritas&Equitas
Oct 4, 2007, 11:20 AM
A Friday? Has Apple ever released something like this on a Friday?

Edit: I don't see any part of that article that mentions any date whatsoever; where'd you get the 26th?

kbrain2929
Oct 4, 2007, 11:22 AM
Wooo Hooooo!!! (doing backflips) It's about time!!!! :apple:
Wait: I don't see it....

sananda
I don't see any part of that article that mentions any date whatsoever;

neither do i.

iKwick7
I hope it's that soon. I've got to spend this Apple credit!!

That, and I finally convinced my mother and my aunt to go Apple- told them to wait until Leapord come sout because it will have "new, free, better programs."

:)

rrijkers
Oct 4, 2007, 11:24 AM
finally! Can't wait!

Is the menubar also translucent in applications, like cs3?

Multimedia
Oct 4, 2007, 11:26 AM
A Friday? Has Apple ever released something like this on a Friday?

Edit: I don't see any part of that article that mentions any date whatsoever; where'd you get the 26th?He cited the wrong article. This is the correct link:

Apple announcements brewing for late October [updated] (http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/07/10/04/apple_announcements_brewing_for_late_october.html)

From my point of view this is OLD News. I predicted 6 PM Friday October 26 many months ago due to last Friday of the promised month is when Apple ALWAYS releases new OS Xs and that this will be the LAST Friday in October. Duh! :rolleyes:

See you in Palo Alto. ;)

bananas
Oct 4, 2007, 11:32 AM
From my point of view this is OLD News. I predicted 6 PM Friday October 26 many months ago due to Friday is when Apple ALWAYS releases new OS Xs and that this will be the LAST Friday in October. Duh! :rolleyes:

See you in Palo Alto. ;)

That's true.

and this article (http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/07/10/04/apple_announcements_brewing_for_late_october.html) DOES say:
Historically, Apple has tapped the final Friday of the month to roll out its major operating system overhauls. For instance, it launched Mac OS X Tiger on the eve of Friday, April 29, 2005.

AND:

Update: We are receiving additional tips from industry sources who indicate that October 26 is currently the estimated ship date for Mac OS X Leopard.

ivi7
Oct 4, 2007, 11:38 AM
If true this is the best news I have heard this week :)

MacRumors
Oct 4, 2007, 11:42 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Appleinsider believes (http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/07/10/04/apple_announcements_brewing_for_late_october.html) that Apple is preparing for announcements late in October, specifically between the 22nd and 27th of the month.

They specifically point to October 26th as the likely ship date for Mac OS X Leopard, but don't rule out the possibility of additional announcements near that date.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/10/04/mac-os-x-leopard-on-october-26th/)

Neuro
Oct 4, 2007, 11:43 AM
Wow, who'd have guessed it?

mspman
Oct 4, 2007, 11:43 AM
heeeeeeere, kitty kitty kitty

ethernet76
Oct 4, 2007, 11:44 AM
So when can all of us that aren't planning on getting it right away expect Boot Camp to stop working?

shigzeo
Oct 4, 2007, 11:44 AM
i will purchase about christmas time or thereafter. i had tiger just 2 months after release and found it was no good until 4 months after. this is much better than vista, but... i want to wait. great to hear a release date. this leapard update to osx sounds like a keepaer!

eliamx
Oct 4, 2007, 11:45 AM
I will be first in line. Can't wait till the Leopard is loose!

zombitronic
Oct 4, 2007, 11:46 AM
The 30th is a Tuesday and the 31st is a Wednesday. My official guess still goes to one of these two dates.

A Pittarelli
im totally taking the early adopter plunge "give it to me easy"

Darkroom
i wonder if they'll update the mac pro on or just before that date...

Butthead
Think Secret says basically the same, and mentions 10.4 for reference

http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0710leopardrelease.html
That date, the last Friday of the month, is similar to the release date of Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger, which had been said would debut in April 2005 and finally launched at 6:00 p.m. on Friday, April 29.

j33pd0g
Oct 4, 2007, 11:47 AM
Sweet! That's on my birthday!

HLdan
Oct 4, 2007, 11:47 AM
The 30th is a Tuesday and the 31st is a Wednesday. My official guess still goes to one of these two dates.

No, Apple's OS release dates always fall on a Friday.

plumbingandtech
Oct 4, 2007, 11:48 AM
I'll take one family pack please.

Much Ado
Woo! It's coming out the month they said it would!

flopticalcube
I guess they are going to sail close to the wind this time. Maybe announce the ship date the week before shipping.

Butthead
Oct 4, 2007, 11:49 AM

Pure coincidence if that happened.

sunfast
Oct 4, 2007, 11:50 AM
I suppose we need to get ready for lots of rumours like this. Still, every day is a day closer

flopticalcube
Oct 4, 2007, 11:50 AM

Not necessarily. There could be hardware on the Mac Pro that only has Leopard drivers. The MacBook probably is the same. X3100 drivers are probably only being written for Leopard.

Peace
Oct 4, 2007, 11:51 AM

One iteration. 10.2 Jaguar was released on a Saturday.

FJ218700
I bet Steve is wishing that they would have said available in November rather than October. Really, after the push-back, what would another month have been?

ivi7
Finally, its about time we start a new chapter

notjustjay
Oct 4, 2007, 11:52 AM
No rush for me anymore.

For a while I was going to wait until Leopard was released, and then think about upgrading to a new iMac or MacBook Pro.

But last month my PowerBook died, necessitating an immediate iMac purchase.

I'll wait a few months for some updates (and your feedback) before I take the plunge.

j33pd0g
Oct 4, 2007, 11:52 AM

I'm waiting for this update too... though the Mac Pro update will be modest, and I'll buy it... and then a week later Apple will announce the new case/enclosure... it'll have more power, and it'll be $1k cheaper! But I won't be mad... that's just my plight in life.

CJD2112
Oct 4, 2007, 11:54 AM
When I read this all I could hear is the theme music they'll be playing at the next RNC convention, "Tell me lies, tell me sweet little lies... tell me lies, TELL ME TELL ME LIES."

LOL all kidding aside, I'm a little disappointed in Apple. The beta's seem to have less and less of those "Top Secret Features" Jobs has touted so much that it's all a little anti-climatic (even though I realize there are HUGE improvements under the hood, etc. - heck, I hardly use Tiger any more as I believe Leopard is already leaps and bounds beyond). Plus, Apple still has a long way to go in ironing out all the kinks before even thinking about Gold Master. Time will tell...

kbrain2929
Oct 4, 2007, 11:55 AM
Hoo Ray!! It's about freakin' time! :D :apple:

Multimedia
Oct 4, 2007, 11:57 AM
Wow, who'd have guessed it?Me. Old News. I told you all months ago 6PM Friday October 26. :rolleyes:

See you in Palo Alto. ;)

Peace
Oct 4, 2007, 11:57 AM
I might add here.Just because Thinksecret says Oct. 26th doesn't mean it's an official date.

Yateball
Oct 4, 2007, 11:58 AM
So when can all of us that aren't planning on getting it right away expect Boot Camp to stop working?

As long as boot camp is INSTALLED before the Leopard release, it won't stop working... the only thing the boot camp "license" refers to is the first time you use it to create the driver disc/ install windows.

Once windows is installed and you are dual-booting, there's no reason to worry about it not working.

Once Leopard is released, however, you more than likely will not be able to freely download boot camp any longer

Father Jack
Yes please .... :)

It has been a long wait (or at least it feels like it) .. :(

mergedown
I should have waited another month before purchasing my iMac. Oh well, it still beats Vista.

Yahgo
Oct 4, 2007, 12:00 PM
I ordered a MacBook Pro on 9/16 (the last day to get a Free Nano in the US) and it was going to ship between 9/26 - 10/1, however it missed it's ship date and now is shipping out on 10/4 (today). After calling Apple and complaining about the delays , their response was that a Typhoon hit china where they build the MacBook Pros and Mac Pros which delayed all orders for a week. I was going to cancel the order and re-order the Laptop in a week so that I would get Leapord for free (14 day return policy... Up-to-date policy). After talking to three reps I finally got a rep who offered me 10.5 for free when it ships (even though I may be outside the "Up-to-date policy). Not bad...free nano and free OS X 10.5!

CWallace
Oct 4, 2007, 12:01 PM
As I intend to migrate on Day One, I do hope it is two weeks from tomorrow as I'll need the weekend to get everything back to speed and start to familiarize myself with it.

happydude
gimme gimme gimme!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Multimedia
The 30th is a Tuesday and the 31st is a Wednesday. My official guess still goes to one of these two dates.You are wrong. Apple usually releases new OS X on Fridays although the Jaguar release was on a Saturday.

I said 6PM Friday October 26 in June. :rolleyes:

See you in Palo Alto. ;)

namjada
:confused:

I can't wait... it's too late.

glennyboiwpg
Oct 4, 2007, 12:02 PM
I used to be all hyped up on leopard... I was going to be the first in line, etc...

but now... its been so long... I just got my new imac... (24 inch white model)

Not really hyped anymore.... waited too long I guess.

Maybe once I play with it, inside a store i'll feel better about it.

Antares
Oct 4, 2007, 12:03 PM
I will be first in line. Can't wait till the Leopard is loose!

You're certainly optimistic about that. I, for one, am content to say that I will be somewhere in line.... :D

CJD2112
Oct 4, 2007, 12:04 PM
gimme gimme gimme!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

...more...

http://www.snarkygossip.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/britneyspearscelebutopianet578.jpg

Sorry, couldn't resist lol (so tragic that one)

Roy Hobbs

There is no way they will release on Halloween.

Taylor C
I really can't wait. I still think we may see it sooner, though.

4God
Oct 4, 2007, 12:05 PM
My guess of estimated or around somewhat near and in the ballpark overall time frame in general is broadly aimed at the end of the month.....kinda. :D:D:D

See you in Palo Alto...:D

hollerz
Oct 4, 2007, 12:06 PM

You said there'd be a new GM build today, countdown tomorrow and released on the 19th. (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=4268079&postcount=26) Are they wrong?

Multimedia
I used to be all hyped up on leopard... I was going to be the first in line, etc... but now... its been so long... I just got my new imac... (24 inch white model) Not really hyped anymore.... waited too long I guess. Maybe once I play with it, inside a store i'll feel better about it.What's not to still be hyped up about? There are many dramatic improvements on many fronts. I don't see how you could lose your enthusiasm for it over time. Nothing you experience playing around in a store will tell you how different it is. A lot of the changes are fundamental and way deep under the hood. I'm a lot more excited about what you can't see than what you can.

gtarz
When I read this all I could hear is the theme music they'll be playing at the next RNC convention, "Tell me lies, tell me sweet little lies... tell me lies, TELL ME TELL ME LIES."

LOL all kidding aside, I'm a little disappointed in Apple. The beta's seem to have less and less of those "Top Secret Features" Jobs has touted so much that it's all a little anti-climatic (even though I realize there are HUGE improvements under the hood, etc. - heck, I hardly use Tiger any more as I believe Leopard is already leaps and bounds beyond). Plus, Apple still has a long way to go in ironing out all the kinks before even thinking about Gold Master. Time will tell...

Does anyone think there could be features that we haven't seen yet? I know they are seeding to developers, but is it possible they will hold out on some things until the release? I agree with you, for apple to mention "Top Secret Features" I think we were all expecting to get our minds blown. Call me naive and hopeful, but I am waiting to be disappointed until after this cat comes out.

neutrino23
Oct 4, 2007, 12:07 PM
Can I apply my iPhone rebate to the purchase of Leopard?

Peace
Oct 4, 2007, 12:08 PM
You said there'd be a new GM build today, countdown tomorrow and released on the 19th. (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=4268079&postcount=26) Are they wrong?

They could be.The day is young.

CWallace
Oct 4, 2007, 12:08 PM

If it falls within the window the rebate is valid, yes.

I intend to use the first $70 for AppleCare on my iPhone, but the next $30 goes to Leopard. :D

Squonk
Oct 4, 2007, 12:09 PM

Absolutely! And Steve would love it if you did!

Looking forward to all the Leopard goodness....

SkyBell
Oct 4, 2007, 12:09 PM
You are wrong. Apple always releases new OS X on Fridays.

I said 6PM Friday October 26 in June. :rolleyes:

See you in Palo Alto. ;)

:)

Leopard, Schmepard. Tiger FTW.

frogg320
Oct 4, 2007, 12:12 PM
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Peace
Oct 4, 2007, 12:14 PM

Look at your dictionary widget ;)

RedTomato
Oct 4, 2007, 12:15 PM
I'm a lot more excited about what you can't see than what you can.

Like the Emperor's new clothes eh?

(sorry, couldn't resist)

Mgkwho
Oct 4, 2007, 12:16 PM
Oh c'mon, they're saying last week of October?

So has everyone else since the delayed news was announced. The 26th has been in my calendar since June.

-=|Mgkwho

Multimedia
Oct 4, 2007, 12:17 PM

iteration |ˌitəˈrā sh ən|
noun

• a new version of a piece of computer hardware or software.Perhaps YOU don't understand the meaning of that word. Or perhaps I didn't get the joke. ;)

crossifixio
heeeeeeere, kitty kitty kitty

LOL :)

overcast
lol my coworker JUST made this reference, not 5 seconds before I read this.

MrCrowbar
Oct 4, 2007, 12:19 PM
...more...

http://www.snarkygossip.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/britneyspearscelebutopianet578.jpg

Sorry, couldn't resist lol (so tragic that one)

Nice one! :D

diehldun
Oct 4, 2007, 12:19 PM
What an excellent coincidence! Since I'm in college, I was already planning on going home and bringing my DOA MBP to the Apple Store where I bought it originally on Saturday (27th). Sweet, free Leopard would be nice :D (though they finally better have MBPs in stock; I've gone back at least 3 times since school started and they seem to keep runnning out of 'em. It's a two hours drive home everytime! But luckily the guys at my local Apple Store are really friendly and accomodating...)

overcast
Oct 4, 2007, 12:20 PM
Perhaps YOU don't understand the meaning of that word. You might want to learn to use your Tiger Oxford Dictionary before you go making insulting posts that are based on your own ignorance just to save your own humiliation.
Calm yourself gramps. Ok you predicted the date, hooray.

tbealmear
Oct 4, 2007, 12:23 PM
OK, everybody calm down! We are talking about Leopard and how nice it will be to have something new remember? And how no matter WHAT, it will kick Vista's arse!!

Cavemate K
Oct 4, 2007, 12:23 PM
I bet Steve is wishing that they would have said available in November rather than October.

I've had the same impression for a while. Didn't the source say "ANOUNCEMENT" in October?

My official prediction: Leopard will be announced during the last week of October as a release at the end of November (for the start of the post-Thanksgiving holiday shopping season).

BELIEVE ME, I hope I'm wrong (and no one will take me to task for it since we're all buddies here... right?:D), but it just seems to me that Apple isn't that confident that Leopard is near GM territory yet. Still, I wait with baited breath and a fresh steak for the Leopard!!

nickbates
Oct 4, 2007, 12:24 PM

Look at your dictionary widget ;)

Perhaps YOU don't understand the meaning of that word. You might want to learn to use your Tiger Oxford Dictionary before you go making insulting posts that are based on your own ignorance just to save your own embarrassment.

Inconceivable! ;)

I don't think they got the reference...

jonnylink
Oct 4, 2007, 12:24 PM
Woo! It's coming out the month they said it would!Well, the month they said it would after saying it was delayed... but let's not be picky

MrKahuna
Oct 4, 2007, 12:27 PM
Small Dog also has it available for pre-order ... for $10 less than Amazon. I'm hoping their in store price will be lower too.

http://www.smalldog.com/product/70005

4God
Oct 4, 2007, 12:27 PM
Inconceivable! ;)

Yup! I remember that, The Princess Bride. Funny movie.

*Back on topic*

It is inevitable that Leopard will be released later this month. Don't quite know what all the hubub is about.

Stella
Oct 4, 2007, 12:29 PM
I've been waiting for OSX 10.5 to come out before replacing my PowerBook with a MacBook Pro. I get the OS and iLife for 'free'.

However, is the question is to buy one now.. or wait until possibly January for the next Intel mobile processors.

( I can wait, but not longer than February. It all depends in the next mobile processors make that much of a difference over the current ones ).

Cavemate K
Oct 4, 2007, 12:30 PM
Nice one! :D

Well, she used to be, anyway.:D

Roy Hobbs
Oct 4, 2007, 12:34 PM
N/m

tk421
Oct 4, 2007, 12:35 PM

I don't know about that. Intel has new Xeon processors slated for early November. Late October is a perfect time to announce Mac Pros.

ogee
I think I will wait 2 months for the price drop :D

pgwalsh
I'll be at the Palo Alto store as well, but I'm not sure if I'm going to hit downtown PA or Stanford.

I wish they'd fool us all and released it tomorrow. :D

netdog

According to the Oxford dictionary, one of the meanings of iteration is "new version of a piece of computer hardware or software."

Case closed on that one Sgt. Frogg. :D

BenRoethig
Oct 4, 2007, 12:38 PM
Looks like my birthday present is coming two days early

4God
Oct 4, 2007, 12:40 PM
According to the Oxford dictionary, one of the meanings of iteration is "new version of a piece of computer hardware or software."

Case closed on that one Sgt. Frogg. :D

And according to The Princess Bride, this is a funny line used in the movie by character Inigo Montoya. :D

Don't take frogg320 so seriously....

Case closed. :D

pgwalsh
Oct 4, 2007, 12:41 PM
And according to The Princess Bride, this is a funny line used in the movie by character Inigo Montoya. :D

Don't take frogg so seriously....

Hello my name is Inigo Montoya, you killed my father, prepare to die!!!

netdog
Oct 4, 2007, 12:41 PM

Don't take frogg320 so seriously....

Case closed. :D

Wasn't bein' serious, but also didn't know the quote. No flaming intended however.

Schtumple
Oct 4, 2007, 12:42 PM
no matter WHAT, it will kick Vista's arse!!

Hasn't tiger already done this?

What makes me laugh is how all the M$ fan boys compare vista (a 6 month old? OS) to Tiger (a 3 YEAR old OS), it's like comparing vista to OS7....

and somehow tiger is still much better than vista, mind boggling isn't it...

williedigital
Oct 4, 2007, 12:43 PM
A lot of the changes are fundamental and way deep under the hood. I'm a lot more excited about what you can't see than what you can.

I'm just curious, but why would a non-coder be excited about these? If we can't see them, how do we even know they are there? Are our macs going to run itunes (or safari, or whatever) X% faster due to these deep down changes?

milo
Oct 4, 2007, 12:45 PM
I'm just curious, but why would a non-coder be excited about these? If we can't see them, how do we even know they are there? Are our macs going to run itunes (or safari, or whatever) X% faster due to these deep down changes?

Some things may be faster. The biggest thing I'm excited about is the possibility of using more than 4 gigs of ram in one app. There may be stability benefits as well.

4God
Oct 4, 2007, 12:45 PM
Hasn't tiger already done this?

What makes me laugh is how all the M$ fan boys compare vista (a 6 month old? OS) to Tiger (a 3 YEAR old OS), it's like comparing vista to OS7....

and somehow tiger is still much better than vista, mind boggling isn't it...

You are so right. What is even more mind boggling is that Vista tries so hard to copy OSX Tiger (very poorly I might add) and yet is still years away from even coming close to Leopard.

heisetax
Oct 4, 2007, 12:59 PM

Then I'd go with October 33, or November 2 for most of us.

Bill the TaxMan

RRK
Oct 4, 2007, 01:00 PM
Here's to hoping for a pre-order soon.

bretm
Oct 4, 2007, 01:01 PM
I'll take one family pack please.

I'm all for honesty, but why buy a family pack when there's no serial number, etc?

RRK
Oct 4, 2007, 01:02 PM
I'm all for honesty, but why buy a family pack when there's no serial number, etc?

I think you answered your own question. :rolleyes:

CJD2112
Oct 4, 2007, 01:06 PM
Does anyone think there could be features that we haven't seen yet? I know they are seeding to developers, but is it possible they will hold out on some things until the release? I agree with you, for apple to mention "Top Secret Features" I think we were all expecting to get our minds blown. Call me naive and hopeful, but I am waiting to be disappointed until after this cat comes out.

Might be. I know for a while Cupertino had inside beta's that the developers weren't getting. However, and forgive my ignorance, but would it not be in Apple's interest in getting possible hidden features that might need extra tweaking before release out to the multitude of developers before releasing it? I don't know. Here's hoping they are still working on "Fast OS Switching", Resolution Independence" and iChat to iPhone video conferencing (I know that one is a stretch in the least, but wouldn't that be awesome!).

flopticalcube
Oct 4, 2007, 01:06 PM

Wow! Reread that back to yourself.

CJD2112
Oct 4, 2007, 01:08 PM
OK, everybody calm down! We are talking about Leopard and how nice it will be to have something new remember? And how no matter WHAT, it will kick Vista's arse!!

Amen!

Orng
Two things are awesome about this year; my birthday falls on a saturday, and now I know I'm going to buy myself a new mac on my birthday! Woot!

Y'know, I only just found out yesterday that the guy who played Inigo Montoya is the old guy in "Criminal Minds". Last night was his last show. Considering it's on the only station I really get clearly, you think I would've noticed this.

CJD2112
Inconceivable! ;)

The Princess Bride... loves it. :)

Eidorian
Oct 4, 2007, 01:10 PM
http://www.math.purdue.edu/~abarreno/mbp_wanttobelieve.jpg

Maybe I can tack this announcement on as well. Even a MacBook update would work for me.

I want my Santa Rosa and easily replaceable hard drive!

RichP
they could release hardware that tuesday....

release hardware with a new OS coming out a few days later? That is going to be Leopard Week, nothing more. I would venture to say iTunes movie rentals or something of the like.

Cougarcat
Sweet! That's on my birthday!

Mine too!

Multimedia
Some things may be faster. The biggest thing I'm excited about is the possibility of using more than 4 gigs of ram in one app. There may be stability benefits as well.Yeah like a 10 GB RAM Disc for example.

seashellz
Oct 4, 2007, 01:12 PM
Ill bet Oct 33rd is the day!

flopticalcube
Oct 4, 2007, 01:12 PM
Yeah like a 10 GB RAM Disc for example.

..and a multithreaded Finder! At last!

Orng
Oct 4, 2007, 01:13 PM

I know what you mean, it's kinda like, hey, this store has no security cameras, why should I pay for this stuff?

heisetax
Oct 4, 2007, 01:19 PM
I ordered a MacBook Pro on 9/16 (the last day to get a Free Nano in the US) and it was going to ship between 9/26 - 10/1, however it missed it's ship date and now is shipping out on 10/4 (today). After calling Apple and complaining about the delays , their response was that a Typhoon hit china where they build the MacBook Pros and Mac Pros which delayed all orders for a week. I was going to cancel the order and re-order the Laptop in a week so that I would get Leapord for free (14 day return policy... Up-to-date policy). After talking to three reps I finally got a rep who offered me 10.5 for free when it ships (even though I may be outside the "Up-to-date policy). Not bad...free nano and free OS X 10.5!

It's really nice to have the full installer DVD as it will work on any Mac, not just the one it was purchased with.

Stampyhead
Oct 4, 2007, 01:19 PM
I know what you mean, it's kinda like, hey, this store has no security cameras, why should I pay for this stuff?

Yet the statemen still contradicts itself. If you're "all for honesty," then doing something dishonest doesn't cross your mind.

flopticalcube
Oct 4, 2007, 01:20 PM
Yet the statemen still contradicts itself. If you're "all for honesty," then doing something dishonest doesn't cross your mind.

I think Orng was being sarcastic, at least I hope so.

twoodcc
Oct 4, 2007, 01:21 PM
alright! finally we're getting somewhere. now if apple will just announce that date sometime next week, we'll be good2go. :cool:

airfang
Oct 4, 2007, 01:35 PM
damn! ... it's like still one month to go!... can't wait for my new MBP!

darthraige
Oct 4, 2007, 01:42 PM
release hardware with a new OS coming out a few days later? That is going to be Leopard Week, nothing more. I would venture to say iTunes movie rentals or something of the like.

If it's a hardware release, it would just be the MacPro so they can show off Leopard at its fullest, utilizing all 8 Cores.

EagerDragon
Oct 4, 2007, 01:53 PM

Oct 27 at 00:00:00 hrs

skiwhitman
Oct 4, 2007, 01:53 PM

now THAT was funny!!!

"No more rhyming, I mean it!"
"Anybody want a peanut?"

milo
Oct 4, 2007, 01:55 PM
Then I'd go with October 33, or November 2 for most of us.

Bill the TaxMan

I don't think the rest of the world would consider Nov 2 an "october release".

heisetax
Oct 4, 2007, 01:56 PM
I've had the same impression for a while. Didn't the source say "ANOUNCEMENT" in October?

My official prediction: Leopard will be announced during the last week of October as a release at the end of November (for the start of the post-Thanksgiving holiday shopping season).

BELIEVE ME, I hope I'm wrong (and no one will take me to task for it since we're all buddies here... right?:D), but it just seems to me that Apple isn't that confident that Leopard is near GM territory yet. Still, I wait with baited breath and a fresh steak for the Leopard!!

Your date sounds even better than my October 33, i.e. Nov 2. It just seems that the beta releases indicate a release date more inline with your date.

The lack of any new great changes or features mean that Apple has followed Vista's route & put off most of the planned changed in order to get the product out 6+ months late rather than be as bad as Vista was being a year or more late.

I will have my copy of 10.5 preordered to receive it the day it is released. I will also install it the day that I receive it. The difference will be that I will install it on an external volume. Then I'll boot from that volume, run the new OS, & when things are operating better than 10.4.10 I'll change to using 10.5 as my startup OS. I have a RAID volume with 2 drives & 2 additional drives in my Intel Mac Pro. That gives me 3 copies of my OS. This could be 10.5, 10.4.10 & a second copy of either one.

Bill the TaxMan

Orng
Oct 4, 2007, 01:58 PM
I think Orng was being sarcastic, at least I hope so.

Everyone's sarcasm is missing the mark today. It must be Mercury retrograde or some such.

But if I am to be hanged, let it be for underuse of smileys! My darling frau always tells me I don't use enough smileys. Whenever you see a smiley in one of my posts, you can envision die Frau's voice in my head saying, "You vill put a smiley after zis joke, Herr Orng, or ze webfurhers vill eat you!"

She's not actually German, I just like to call her "the Frau".

nadinbrzezinski
Oct 4, 2007, 02:00 PM
here are some questions folks

1.- Should I just go ahead and buy the power book I have an eye on, and wait for the month of troubles to go by, or wait for the new OS?

2.- Yes, I don't want to bang my head against the wall and ditch a second OS and just go for ubuntu. (Don't ask all the fun with Vista, gamer at home, but I want my box to be as free of trouble as I can)

3.- Yes I am currently running an XP Tablet, she's eight years old and pretty stable... (though the motherboard problems mean it is probably on its last legs, and no computer lasts forever...) I am looking for a stable OS, that I can use for writing, some 3D, and not have to have the issues I am having with the Vista powerhouse, even if that box will remain as the primary box for intense 3D apps and gaming (as well as layout)

flopticalcube
Oct 4, 2007, 02:01 PM
Everyone's sarcasm is missing the mark today. It must be Mercury retrograde or some such.

But if I am to be hanged, let it be for underuse of smileys! My darling frau always tells me I don't use enough smileys. Whenever you see a smiley in one of my posts, you can envision die Frau's voice in my head saying, "You vill put a smiley after zis joke, Herr Orng, or ze webfurhers vill eat you!"

She's not actually German, I just like to call her "the Frau".

sehr gut

ATG
Oct 4, 2007, 02:03 PM
So it's Leopard vs Crysis Demo?

It's gotta be crysis :p

kuebby
Oct 4, 2007, 02:05 PM

I don't know, maybe something to give people 2 reasons to buy a new computer (new hardware and OS).

0racle
Oct 4, 2007, 02:08 PM
here are some questions folks

1.- Should I just go ahead and buy the power book I have an eye on, and wait for the month of troubles to go by, or wait for the new OS?

3.- Yes I am currently running an XP Tablet, she's eight years old and pretty stable... (though the motherboard problems mean it is probably on its last legs, and no computer lasts forever...) I am looking for a stable OS, that I can use for writing, some 3D, and not have to have the issues I am having with the Vista powerhouse, even if that box will remain as the primary box for intense 3D apps and gaming (as well as layout)

There's always something to wait for. If you always ask, 'should I get this machine now or wait for the next thing,' you'll never buy anything. Does the machine you're looking at do everything you need while providing for some future needs? If so get it, if not don't because it's not what you need.

These two points are related though. If stability is the overriding concern, 10.5.0 is not what you want. Nothing is perfect the first time so you may want to get Tiger now so you can upgrade to Leopard later when the first problems that pop up will have been addressed.

Bipit
Oct 4, 2007, 02:09 PM
any thoughts on concurrent hardware launches?

i'm thinking a mac pro update could be coming, or at least a refresh on some laptops

other thoughts?

Eidorian
Oct 4, 2007, 02:10 PM
any thoughts on concurrent hardware launches?

i'm thinking a mac pro update could be coming, or at least a refresh on some laptops

other thoughts?http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=4282335&postcount=1152

heisetax
Oct 4, 2007, 02:10 PM
You are so right. What is even more mind boggling is that Vista tries so hard to copy OSX Tiger (very poorly I might add) and yet is still years away from even coming close to Leopard.

Just remember that OS 10.0 was ready for prime time. Also for many OS 10.1 was not ready for prime time either. I didn't feel like OS X & the applications that I run under it was better than OS 9 until Mac OS 10.2. This means that Vista should probably be compared with Mac OS 10.0, Mac OS 10.1 for those that believe that MS is ahead of where Apple was with their totally different Mac OS X.

I've owned every version of OS X including the beta. So my experience was from my use with my applications, not listening to what others had to say about Mac OS X.

Bill the TaxMan

milo
Oct 4, 2007, 02:16 PM
Just remember that OS 10.0 was ready for prime time. Also for many OS 10.1 was not ready for prime time either. I didn't feel like OS X & the applications that I run under it was better than OS 9 until Mac OS 10.2. This means that Vista should probably be compared with Mac OS 10.0, Mac OS 10.1 for those that believe that MS is ahead of where Apple was with their totally different Mac OS X.

So...you think that vista is comparable to 10.1? And somehow that makes vista ahead of OSX?

heisetax
Oct 4, 2007, 02:22 PM
I don't think the rest of the world would consider Nov 2 an "october release".

But we were told earlier days, I didn't see anywhere that the release date is set in stone yet. That's what this whole discussion is about. This is a rumor site, which means there does not have to be any facts used here. At least one other poster got my idea.

Someone else mentioned that they thought that the release date would be mentioned in October for a November release. What do you have to say to his post. I believe it even more than my October 33 release date.

Bill the TaxMan

gate5blues
Oct 4, 2007, 02:25 PM
I'm predicting an october 30th release because I think they'll be throwing some new hardware in the mix before christmas. Steve said apple will be going green and I think their cinema displays are long overdue for an upgrade.. lets think LED backlit.

Orng
Oct 4, 2007, 02:27 PM
If stability is the overriding concern, 10.5.0 is not what you want. Nothing is perfect the first time so you may want to get Tiger now so you can upgrade to Leopard later when the first problems that pop up will have been addressed.

Better still, if apple, or your local reseller, announces some kind of free or cheap upgrade option, then you should get Tiger, then get the free upgrade, then don't install the upgrade until 10.5.1 or 10.5.2. Then you'll have both.

This is what my wife did when she decided to buy her PC a month before Vista. That was deliberate, she wanted the XP fallback and the free copy of Vista when it became available. That upgrade program was maybe the best thing anyone can say about Vista.

She hasn't installed Vista yet. Of course all the execs at her workplace ran out and got new Vista machines, so she wasted many a week trying to make them work on the network, she's now very anti-Vista. Might test it after Service Pack 1. But she's considering going Mac more and more everyday.

yg17
Oct 4, 2007, 02:27 PM
I'm going to be ********* broke if Leopard and Guitar Hero 3 come out in the same weekend :D

jasko
Oct 4, 2007, 02:28 PM
Finally

milo
Oct 4, 2007, 02:43 PM
But we were told earlier days, I didn't see anywhere that the release date is set in stone yet. That's what this whole discussion is about. This is a rumor site, which means there does not have to be any facts used here. At least one other poster got my idea.

Someone else mentioned that they thought that the release date would be mentioned in October for a November release. What do you have to say to his post. I believe it even more than my October 33 release date.

Apple said it will ship in October, not that a final release date would be announced in October. I don't see any reason that they'd miss that date, especially if the rumors of an event last week in October turn out to be true. There's has only been one notable issue reported with the most recent build, and it doesn't sound like a big deal. They have a couple weeks if they need it so they'll probably go down to the wire. If they don't fix everything in time they'll just have a quick software update.

The insistence from some that it won't ship in October just seems like wishful FUD on the part of those who want to see apple get a black eye from the press.

I'm not sure what you mean by "we were told earlier days", there have been plenty of rumors but the word from apple has been simply "October" (with most people assuming late in the month).

Here's one of the statements from apple saying "scheduled to ship in October"

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2007/06/11leopard.html

swingerofbirch
Oct 4, 2007, 02:45 PM
Maybe a new mouse will arrive with Leopard?

I heard that Apple had wanted to include the mighty mouse with Tiger, but couldn't get it out the door in time.

I love the new wired aluminum keyboard, and I feel the mighty mouse needs to play catch up. I'm very happy with my Logitech MX 400, although it doesn't quite match the aluminum keyboard. I personally think with it's next mouse, Apple should really extend Expose, Dashboard, and Spaces in a meaningful way. Maybe a sharp mouse gesture to the left or right would move to a new "space" etc.

Telp
Oct 4, 2007, 02:45 PM
I want leopard white badly and I know several people waiting for leopard to buy a new iMac. I just want it and hope to see iPhone updates that coincide with the update. Less than one month away!!!

GoodWatch
Oct 4, 2007, 02:50 PM
My iMac is in the pipeline and expected to arrive in two weeks. Will the box contain the upgrade CDs/DVD? Ohhhhh, the agony :eek:

thefunkymunky
Oct 4, 2007, 02:51 PM
I have to say. I'm not liking Leopard atm after installing and using it for a bit.

I don't like the non-rounded corners on the menu bar. It doesn't look right especially since all app windows and the finder windows have rounded corners.

The Front Row transition is just a plain boring fade to black now. Not like the desktop zoom we currently have in Tiger :( WTF?

Stacks is cool. But the font used is wrong, it looks like Arial and is not the standard system font.

The damn calculator widget still has the corrupt skin. This has been the same since the launch of Tiger. :(

Cover flow is nice but I think its overkill for the Finder. Its a neat addition to iTunes but I just find it cumbersome in Finder windows.

Full screen windows look horrible against the 3D Dock.

The shadows behind the Dock icons look wrong, especially against lighter backgrounds.

The iCal dynamic date update only happens to the Dock icon and not the app icon.

The Dock looks pants on the sides of the screen and also you cannot configure how to view a Stack while the Dock is on the side. It always defaults to "Grid" mode and the "View as" option is not available. :(

The icons in the Stack menu when viewed as a fan have jaggy edges and are not anti-aliased.

The Dock icon reflections are misplaced when the Dock is a smaller size than the default. The reflections appear underneath the icon.

The Aqua scrollbars and buttons etc need to go. The don't fit at all with the new unified theme and look out of place.

http://img32.picoodle.com/img/img32/9/10/4/kraized/t_Picture2m_b4c405f.png (http://www.picoodle.com/view.php?img=/9/10/4/kraized/f_Picture2m_b4c405f.png&srv=img32)

http://img01.picoodle.com/img/img01/9/10/4/kraized/t_Picture3m_fbad621.png (http://www.picoodle.com/view.php?img=/9/10/4/kraized/f_Picture3m_fbad621.png&srv=img01)

http://img29.picoodle.com/img/img29/9/10/4/kraized/t_Picture4m_6dbd309.png (http://www.picoodle.com/view.php?img=/9/10/4/kraized/f_Picture4m_6dbd309.png&srv=img29)

http://img26.picoodle.com/img/img26/9/10/4/kraized/t_Picture5m_7b2a077.png (http://www.picoodle.com/view.php?img=/9/10/4/kraized/f_Picture5m_7b2a077.png&srv=img26)

http://img28.picoodle.com/img/img28/9/10/4/kraized/t_Picture6m_a4e8120.png (http://www.picoodle.com/view.php?img=/9/10/4/kraized/f_Picture6m_a4e8120.png&srv=img28)

http://img26.picoodle.com/img/img26/9/10/4/kraized/t_Picture7m_4cce502.png (http://www.picoodle.com/view.php?img=/9/10/4/kraized/f_Picture7m_4cce502.png&srv=img26)

http://img33.picoodle.com/img/img33/9/10/4/kraized/t_Picture8m_b1b5e6f.png (http://www.picoodle.com/view.php?img=/9/10/4/kraized/f_Picture8m_b1b5e6f.png&srv=img33)

http://img30.picoodle.com/img/img30/9/10/4/kraized/t_Picture9m_edaa1f4.png (http://www.picoodle.com/view.php?img=/9/10/4/kraized/f_Picture9m_edaa1f4.png&srv=img30)

http://img28.picoodle.com/img/img28/9/10/4/kraized/t_Picture10m_f1a6a7d.png (http://www.picoodle.com/view.php?img=/9/10/4/kraized/f_Picture10m_f1a6a7d.png&srv=img28)

http://img03.picoodle.com/img/img03/9/10/4/kraized/t_Picture11m_e2e1b4c.png (http://www.picoodle.com/view.php?img=/9/10/4/kraized/f_Picture11m_e2e1b4c.png&srv=img03)

Anyway. I hope there is another seed of Leopard before GM or at least the GM version is different.

RRK
Oct 4, 2007, 02:51 PM
Apple said it will ship in October, not that a final release date would be announced in October. I don't see any reason that they'd miss that date, especially if the rumors of an event last week in October turn out to be true. There's has only been one notable issue reported with the most recent build, and it doesn't sound like a big deal. They have a couple weeks if they need it so they'll probably go down to the wire. If they don't fix everything in time they'll just have a quick software update.

The insistence from some that it won't ship in October just seems like wishful FUD on the part of those who want to see apple get a black eye from the press.

I'm not sure what you mean by "we were told earlier days", there have been plenty of rumors but the word from apple has been simply "October" (with most people assuming late in the month).

Here's one of the statements from apple saying "scheduled to ship in October"

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2007/06/11leopard.html

Duh, why would Apple delay Leopard 6 months just to delay it again by 2 days, thats ridiculous.

"Let me tell you how it will be
There's 31 days for you, 33 for me
Cos I'm the taxman, yeah, I'm the taxman"

C225
Oct 4, 2007, 02:53 PM
That'd be fine by me as i can get a new imac with leopard and still get the free ipod offer just before the offer expires:)

milo
Oct 4, 2007, 02:57 PM
I have to say. I'm not liking Leopard atm after installing and using it for a bit...

I love the screenshot of another message board where you pasted this exact same message, I wonder how many more you spammed this to?

vendettabass
Oct 4, 2007, 03:00 PM
I ordered my iMac last Saturday, and its only shipped today (expected to arrive on the 12th October)

what are my chances of a free copy of Leopard if I give them a ring complaining :D

quigleybc
Oct 4, 2007, 03:03 PM
wow amazing news....10.5 in October!!!!!

oh wait.....we've known that since June.

of course they'll wait till that last day too.....

thefunkymunky
Oct 4, 2007, 03:10 PM
I love the screenshot of another message board where you pasted this exact same message, I wonder how many more you spammed this to?

Hardly spam. Bit out of order mate. I browser MR and Neowin almost every day.

MaskedPhantom
Oct 4, 2007, 03:12 PM
Woo! It's coming out the month they said it would!

:rolleyes: :apple:

nadinbrzezinski
Oct 4, 2007, 03:13 PM
There's always something to wait for. If you always ask, 'should I get this machine now or wait for the next thing,' you'll never buy anything. Does the machine you're looking at do everything you need while providing for some future needs? If so get it, if not don't because it's not what you need.

These two points are related though. If stability is the overriding concern, 10.5.0 is not what you want. Nothing is perfect the first time so you may want to get Tiger now so you can upgrade to Leopard later when the first problems that pop up will have been addressed.

Thanks that is a good answer.

The only thing Leopard has is the nice grammar checker throughout the system. But... that is not something that I absolutely need. I can always just get Gramarian and live with tiger until Leopard has the kinks solved.

MacFly123
Oct 4, 2007, 03:16 PM

I still believe that Leopard will have Multi_Touch built in. The iPhone runs Leopard obviously, so Leopard has to have it built in. Especially since they will be releasing new lpatops with Multi_Touch touch pads. And I think there will be a LOT of integration between Leopard and the iPhone, iPod Touch, Apple TV and it substantial update coming soon, and the Newton 2 tablet :D

I deffinately think they have a few surprises up their sleeves. :apple:

Orng
Oct 4, 2007, 03:19 PM
Maybe a new mouse will arrive with Leopard? ...I feel the mighty mouse needs to play catch up.

I agree, an alumimouse would be most welcome. My apple Pro mouse croaked a couple months back, I plugged in a USB Dell mouse and kept on going. But yeah, bring on the Alumimouse!

I have to say. I'm not liking Leopard atm after installing and using it for a bit.

I don't like the non-rounded corners... The shadows behind the Dock icons look wrong, especially against lighter backgrounds.... The Dock icon reflections are misplaced when the Dock is a smaller size... The Aqua scrollbars and buttons etc ...

While i agree that the dock shadows look like crap and the aqua scrollbars seem so... well, I feel like I've "grown out of" them, and being that I prefer the dock small with magnification on, the reflection thing might bug me, though I probably won't be able to make it out, but a lot of this stuff is just cosmetic, and as such, it's not a deal breaker.

The only thing Leopard has is the nice grammar checker throughout the system. But... that is not something that I absolutely need. I can always just get Gramarian and live with tiger until Leopard has the kinks solved.

Three years and all they have to show is a grammar checker!
But it can check grammar like the wind! Growl!

Don't worry, I think when they've got the kinks out, you'll find that the much-touted Grammar Checker is not the only goodie up Leopard's sleeve. I hear they've added sin and cosin functions to the calculator, too

hotdamn
Oct 4, 2007, 03:23 PM
Those Aqua scrollbars don't appear to be final. They are vectorized but roug around the edges. Have to go. have to.

also, you can say a lot of things about the new menu bar, but that the rounded corners are gone almost makes me estatic.

nadinbrzezinski
Oct 4, 2007, 03:24 PM
Better still, if apple, or your local reseller, announces some kind of free or cheap upgrade option, then you should get Tiger, then get the free upgrade, then don't install the upgrade until 10.5.1 or 10.5.2. Then you'll have both.

This is what my wife did when she decided to buy her PC a month before Vista. That was deliberate, she wanted the XP fallback and the free copy of Vista when it became available. That upgrade program was maybe the best thing anyone can say about Vista.

She hasn't installed Vista yet. Of course all the execs at her workplace ran out and got new Vista machines, so she wasted many a week trying to make them work on the network, she's now very anti-Vista. Might test it after Service Pack 1. But she's considering going Mac more and more everyday.

That's a good idea, assuming they do that. Of course at that point it means the local apple store instead of small dogs.

Thanks.

As to vista, we got it since our XP machine is in the fritz. She will do good to wait until SP1 at the very least.

Trust me, the banging on this house due to that machine is just insane

0racle
Oct 4, 2007, 03:28 PM
I have to say. I'm not liking Leopard atm after installing and using it for a bit

While not what you were getting at, you're post is pretty good material for how good Leopard looks.

Looks like I'll be taking the wife out for dinner near an Apple store on the 26th.

thefunkymunky
Oct 4, 2007, 03:31 PM
While not what you were getting at, you're post is pretty good material for how good Leopard looks.

Looks like I'll be taking the wife out for dinner near an Apple store on the 26th.

Leopard does look good. But it has (as of 9a559) some glaringly obvious bugs and cosmetic defects which should be sorted before GM.

DaBrain
Oct 4, 2007, 03:33 PM

That statement sure seems to be a contradiction!:rolleyes:

jinr
Oct 4, 2007, 03:34 PM
hey, where's another random post from MultiMedia? it's been like 2 hours. we want to hear you proclaim over and over again to everyone how you're a genius that you predicted when Leopard is coming out. or for you to yell at other users when they use funny lines in movies. reading the posts from different users were interesting, but then you would just chime in and ruin everything. come on gramps, give us your two cents again!...

btw, doesnt apple release operating systems on saturdays?...:p

Sbrocket
Oct 4, 2007, 03:38 PM
Leopard does look good. But it has (as of 9a559) some glaringly obvious bugs and cosmetic defects which should be sorted before GM.

Given that 9A559 would have had to be built internally multiple weeks ago, I find it "glaringly obvious" that bugs have been fixed between then and now. :rolleyes:

milo
Oct 4, 2007, 03:39 PM

Were those the point of the pictures you posted? They looked pretty good to me. What you consider "glaringly obvious" probably wouldn't even be noticed by most people.

thefunkymunky
Oct 4, 2007, 03:42 PM
Given that 9A559 would have had to be built internally multiple weeks ago, I find it "glaringly obvious" that bugs have been fixed between then and now. :rolleyes:

Who says there fixed? They might not even get fixed until an update after Leopard ships?

GoodWatch
Oct 4, 2007, 03:51 PM
And I thought I came to a forum where there was an atmosphere of friendly co-operation and helpfulness. :rolleyes: Blimey. Never mind, I think Iíll stick here like a stamp to a letter. Two weeks, two long weeks before Iíll take delivery of my iMac. Leopard loaded or not. Letís Rock and Roll! :D :D

thefunkymunky
Oct 4, 2007, 04:17 PM
Were those the point of the pictures you posted? They looked pretty good to me. What you consider "glaringly obvious" probably wouldn't even be noticed by most people.

I'm sorry but cosmetic defects are what ppl notice more than anything. The UI is the most important aspect of an OS because thats what ppl see. Yes Leopard has loads of "under the hood" changes but its whats on the surface that ppl notice most.

milo
Oct 4, 2007, 04:24 PM
I'm sorry but cosmetic defects are what ppl notice more than anything.

One of your examples was the calculator widget, which has been the same way since Tiger shipped. So where are all the hordes complaining about this "glaring" defect?

FJ218700
Oct 4, 2007, 04:26 PM
And I thought I came to a forum where there was an atmosphere of friendly co-operation and helpfulness. :rolleyes: . . .

yeah, everyone really defends their opinions in Leopard and iPhone threads.

psychofreak
Oct 4, 2007, 04:27 PM

Not to mention the games ones...Halo 3 opinions I'm looking at you :)

thefunkymunky
Oct 4, 2007, 04:36 PM
One of your examples was the calculator widget, which has been the same way since Tiger shipped. So where are all the hordes complaining about this "glaring" defect?

Its still a defect. If Apple can perfect the iPhone interface they can perfect their OS they use on their Macs.

Don't forget they delayed Leopard because of the iPhone yet still it has bugs.

gugy
Oct 4, 2007, 04:36 PM
I agree, October 26th seems to be the right date.

Also I expect the new Mac Pro and new ACD's at the same time or shortly after. November 11 seems to be the date Intel will release new chips so Apple could always announce it at the 26th with shipping few weeks later.

rcha101
Oct 4, 2007, 04:41 PM
I'm neutral on this one what I do hope though is that whatever is being announced it announced before the end of this month as I am travelling to the US next month to buy a new laptop with Leopard. An updated MBP would be great but I hadn't counted on it.

Unfortunately for me I managed to book my flights on the date that the iphone is released here in the UK so I'll have to wait for one of those until I get back - bring on the 16 gig version!!

GoodWatch
Oct 4, 2007, 04:41 PM

That is a relief. Opinions and facts are often unrelated :p

jcrowe
Oct 4, 2007, 04:47 PM
Who says there fixed? They might not even get fixed until an update after Leopard ships?

FM,

If you have these comments as a developer under NDA, you've probably broken that NDA. Otherwise, you probably have a pirated copy of Leopard and that somewhat leads me to discount your comments. FWIW, I just received notice from Amazon that O'Reilly's OS X Leopard pocket guide will be released on October 15th so that indicates to me that the release is imminent. It's on my list for the MacBook Pro.

milo
Oct 4, 2007, 04:49 PM
Its still a defect. If Apple can perfect the iPhone interface they can perfect their OS they use on their Macs.

So is it "glaring" or not? Before you said it was glaring and everyone would notice it, and now you've backpedaled - most people won't notice it, but they should fix it because everything should be perfect. I smell a molehill.

Of course it still has bugs. But every software has bugs. Cosmetic things like the way the calculator looks are minor enough that hardly anyone will care, that wouldn't be a reason to delay releasing the OS. I'd love to see everything perfected eventually, but personally I hope they make functionality a higher priority than tiny graphical glitches.

GoodWatch
Oct 4, 2007, 04:51 PM

Help is around the corner if you don't want Leopard. You can always try this :p :p

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a206/CrownBar/Desktop-1.jpg

nadinbrzezinski
Oct 4, 2007, 04:51 PM
on their up to date program.

Anybody has any clue if they will have that?

It would solve many of my questions actually

nadinbrzezinski
Oct 4, 2007, 04:53 PM
Help is around the corner if you don't want Leopard. You can always try this :p :p

Thanks for the memories, NOT

:cool:

psychofreak
Oct 4, 2007, 04:54 PM

Good one...

BTW, if you change the IMG tag to TIMG and /IMG to /TIMG, you get this :)

Bern
Oct 4, 2007, 05:02 PM
So just maybe we won't actually have Leopard in October as promised. If Apple announce it on the 26th that could mean it won't be available on shelves until November.

GoodWatch
Oct 4, 2007, 05:03 PM
Good one...

BTW, if you change the IMG tag to TIMG and /IMG to /TIMG, you get this :)

Are large (1024x768) pics not welcome here? Sorry, didn't realise. I'm on a 20/2 Mbit pipe myself :D

Wayfarer
Oct 4, 2007, 05:04 PM
Bring it on.

MeWANTS mah shiney new cat thinger. :cool:

CJD2112
Oct 4, 2007, 05:06 PM
I agree, October 26th seems to be the right date.

Also I expect the new Mac Pro and new ACD's at the same time or shortly after. November 11 seems to be the date Intel will release new chips so Apple could always announce it at the 26th with shipping few weeks later.

I hope. I've been waiting for a new display to replace my 23" HD Aluminum Cinema Display. However, my friends at Apple has said they are working on new higher resolution displays (he codes on a 30" display that is in the works), yet states Apple might scrap it all together as in a year or two they are working on monitors (whatever that means). To date, he said there is no plan to include an IR sensor or iSight with the monitors. :(

FJ218700
Oct 4, 2007, 05:07 PM
Are large (1024x768) pics not welcome here? Sorry, didn't realise. I'm on a 20/2 Mbit pipe myself :D

I wouldn't say unwelcome, just unnecessary for the most part.

Manic Mouse
Oct 4, 2007, 05:11 PM

Only if they're of Vista... :p

psychofreak
Oct 4, 2007, 05:14 PM

I'm on fast internet too, its just irritating (especially on a small Macbook screen), hover your mouse over the TIMGed image I posted and you'll find that its a link to the fill sized one :)

gugy
Oct 4, 2007, 05:17 PM
my friends at Apple :(

don't believe what they are saying. even if you know somebody there, they cannot disclose any info because of NDA. I bet they value their jobs and they do not want to be in legal trouble.

GoodWatch
Oct 4, 2007, 05:19 PM
I wouldn't say unwelcome, just unnecessary for the most part.

So a picture of my shiny new iMac showing Leopard would be OK? :p :p :p :)

GoodWatch
Oct 4, 2007, 05:21 PM
I'm on fast internet too, its just irritating (especially on a small Macbook screen), hover your mouse over the TIMGed image I posted and you'll find that its a link to the fill sized one :)

It is 800x600 BTW, how can that be irritating? Buy a larger Macbook! :p :p :p :rolleyes:

milo
Oct 4, 2007, 05:21 PM
So just maybe we won't actually have Leopard in October as promised. If Apple announce it on the 26th that could mean it won't be available on shelves until November.

Have you EVER seen an apple product announcement? Seriously, like ever?

Announcing it means it won't ship until a week or two later? Have you been under a rock and missed the majority of Apple product announcements that have been available IMMEDIATELY after the announcement?

heisetax
Oct 4, 2007, 05:27 PM
So...you think that vista is comparable to 10.1? And somehow that makes vista ahead of OSX?

I just mean in development cycles. Since Vista didn't change as much as Apple did when they brought out OS X 10.0, they may be closer to the OSX 10.1 development cycle. This does not mean that Vista is ahead of OSX now. If I remember correctly the is a version 10.2, 10.3, 10.4 & the one that will be out soon 10.5. If that sounds like I said that Vista is better than the current OSX then I'm sorry that I did not explain myself better.

I know that the school that I go to said that they will not change to MS Office 2007 for at least another year. Also that if they ever do teach the current version of Vista it will be at least 2 years from now. And that date could be moved to the future, if ever.

Just like OSX 10.0 things just always work like they should. Also memory & computer requirements have changed.

As I've stated before I've used every version of Mac OSX. My first Mac was purchased in 1984. I've run every version of Windows on my Mac since Windows 3 on one or more of my Macs. I've never owned a computer that could boot straight into Windows until I purchased my Intel Mac Pro 13 months ago. I work in the accounting, bookkeeping & income tax fields. This means that I must be able to use Windows software to do my business. My tax program is self-written in Excel for use natively on my Mac. I know now that I have a bid out to do some work with QuickBooks. The company uses the Windows versions of QuickBooks. Things always work better if you use the some OS as your customer. I have QuickBooks for both the Mac & Windows.

Since I work in both the Mac & Windows areas I have clients that work with computers more than I do & they, even if you don't agree with them, believe that Windows is better & easier to use than the Mac OS. I run Windows because I need to be able to run certain programs. I run the Mac OS because it is easier, more fun & I get more work done faster than with Windows. Sometimes I wonder why I don't go with the majority of computer users & use Windows. Then I run a Windows program & my memory is brought back to reality.

Remember I'm a 23 year Mac User not because I like Steve Jobs or believe all of the Apple Mac hype, but because I want my computer experience to be fun & enjoyable. Like some I do not believe all that Apple says is the total truth, I just think that they do things better than MS does with Windows.

I will have a copy preordered of Mac OS 10.5. The only line that I've stood in was when the local Apple store opened up a year or so ago. TAhat was for 3 reasons: 1-saying that I was there, 2- getting the free Apple Store T-shirt, & 3-get information on my rebate for my free iPod that I got with my Intel MacPro.

Bill the TaxMan

offwidafairies
Oct 4, 2007, 05:32 PM

i agree. thanks for the timged image :)

i was hoping leopard would be released sooner
but hey... whats another few weeks - its nothing when it was due in april
i really hope they give the mbp a small bump in fast hdd capacity - 160Gb seems so small these days. means i need to keep all video and audio on separate drives. :(

psychofreak
Oct 4, 2007, 05:37 PM
It is 800x600 BTW, how can that be irritating? Buy a larger Macbook! :p :p :p :rolleyes:

I have multiple windows open of multiple apps...I'm not a Windows user!

Mykbibby
Oct 4, 2007, 06:17 PM
I'm not sure when Leopard will ship, but I do know that coming with it will be a massive iphone update... complete with iChat, MMS, Bonjour, iWork "Mobile", etc. Basically if you imagine it, it'll be there...

Trust me, I'm not one of those losers who posts fake rumors to get attention, I have sources ;-)...

Mykbibby
Oct 4, 2007, 06:18 PM
By the way, Leopard is not feature complete. I don't know what else is coming, but there's more...

psychofreak
Oct 4, 2007, 06:20 PM
By the way, Leopard is not feature complete. I don't know what else is coming, but there's more...

I sure hope so, but I don't think so...

Mykbibby
Oct 4, 2007, 06:21 PM
I sure hope so, but I don't think so...

Wait and see...

psychofreak
Oct 4, 2007, 06:23 PM
Wait and see...

What else would I be doing on Macrumors :p

Mykbibby
Oct 4, 2007, 06:26 PM
What else would I be doing on Macrumors :p

lol, that sums it up nicely...

globalhemp
Oct 4, 2007, 06:28 PM
Mac OS X is ALWAYS released on a Saturday. That leaves 3 likely chances left this month: 13th, 20th, 27th. My bet is the 20th or 27th with the 27th being the most likely of all.

Then, in just over two months, we see what's coming with Mac OS X 10.6 at the January MacWorld keynote, with highlights such as "over 70% of the current installed user base has already upgraded to Mac OS X 10.5 and an additional 20% are using 10.4, this is just phenomenal... no other company, even us, could imagine the impact..."

Alloye
Oct 4, 2007, 06:43 PM
Mac OS X is ALWAYS released on a Saturday.

Except when it's released on a Friday, like the last two versions of OS X have been. :)

hotdamn
Oct 4, 2007, 06:50 PM
Steve will probaby announce that they're postponing the release date to May 23rd, better known as the Christmas in May, aka my birthday.

It will have all the features I want and the menu bar and dock will look just like I want them to. Also, the only Aqua will be on the girls' shirts at my favorite strip club.

Genghis Khan
Oct 4, 2007, 06:55 PM
If i'm not totally insane, this means just over 3 weeks till Leopard is announced/released

omg, i can't believe it's coming:D

psychofreak
Oct 4, 2007, 06:58 PM
omg, i can't believe it's coming:DA couple of months ago it would have been devastating to hear "end of October" as a release date...

rsoerensen
Oct 4, 2007, 07:33 PM

It will, of course, be the new ACDs (which they will probably no longer be known as). What better time to release a new series of displays? Not a computer, since nobody would buy it till Leopard is released. But instead, a nice sleek display to show of all the Leopard goodness.

I'll bet Jobs would prefer to show of the latest OS on a new screen, even though they'll probably choose the iMac to show how great it's running on a consumer product.

NEW ACDs ON TUESDAY 23th!
(allthough my desire for a new display may be impairing my judgement ;-) )

TPALTony
Oct 4, 2007, 08:21 PM
I'm not sure when Leopard will ship, but I do know that coming with it will be a massive iphone update... complete with iChat, MMS, Bonjour, iWork "Mobile", etc. Basically if you imagine it, it'll be there...

Trust me, I'm not one of those losers who posts fake rumors to get attention, I have sources ;-)...

I love these kind of posts. Let us not forget:

* A rather large number of iPhone purchasers use Windows, not Mac OS X.

* iPhone is _already_ using parts of Leopard, as is Apple TV. Look at the animations on the menus for both, it's Core Animation.

* In other words, the release of a new version of OS X has nothing to do with features on the iPhone.

* They aren't daft enough to add a ton of features to a device they hope to sell in the tens of millions, that ONLY work if you have a Mac!

* They used to have a product like that. It was called an iPod and look how many more they sold when they made it work with Windows!

* Lastly, and most importantly, they are REALLY good at marketing and there is no way I can see them doing a big "Here's Leopard" thing and then saying "Oh, and one more thing..... MASSIVE iPhone update." Totally different part of their product set, they don't mix messages like that.

Just my 2c. :)

be well

t

Paulsan
Oct 4, 2007, 08:29 PM

That's funny. When I think of that song all I can think about is Bill saying he didn't have sex with Monica.

TPALTony
Oct 4, 2007, 08:29 PM

I don't like the non-rounded corners on the menu bar. It doesn't look right especially since all app windows and the finder windows have rounded corners.

The Front Row transition is just a plain boring fade to black now. Not like the desktop zoom we currently have in Tiger :( WTF?

Stacks is cool. But the font used is wrong, it looks like Arial and is not the standard system font.

The damn calculator widget still has the corrupt skin. This has been the same since the launch of Tiger. :(

Cover flow is nice but I think its overkill for the Finder. Its a neat addition to iTunes but I just find it cumbersome in Finder windows.

Full screen windows look horrible against the 3D Dock.

The shadows behind the Dock icons look wrong, especially against lighter backgrounds.

The iCal dynamic date update only happens to the Dock icon and not the app icon.

The Dock looks pants on the sides of the screen and also you cannot configure how to view a Stack while the Dock is on the side. It always defaults to "Grid" mode and the "View as" option is not available. :(

The icons in the Stack menu when viewed as a fan have jaggy edges and are not anti-aliased.

The Dock icon reflections are misplaced when the Dock is a smaller size than the default. The reflections appear underneath the icon.

The Aqua scrollbars and buttons etc need to go. The don't fit at all with the new unified theme and look out of place.

http://img32.picoodle.com/img/img32/9/10/4/kraized/t_Picture2m_b4c405f.png (http://www.picoodle.com/view.php?img=/9/10/4/kraized/f_Picture2m_b4c405f.png&srv=img32)

http://img01.picoodle.com/img/img01/9/10/4/kraized/t_Picture3m_fbad621.png (http://www.picoodle.com/view.php?img=/9/10/4/kraized/f_Picture3m_fbad621.png&srv=img01)

http://img29.picoodle.com/img/img29/9/10/4/kraized/t_Picture4m_6dbd309.png (http://www.picoodle.com/view.php?img=/9/10/4/kraized/f_Picture4m_6dbd309.png&srv=img29)

http://img26.picoodle.com/img/img26/9/10/4/kraized/t_Picture5m_7b2a077.png (http://www.picoodle.com/view.php?img=/9/10/4/kraized/f_Picture5m_7b2a077.png&srv=img26)

http://img28.picoodle.com/img/img28/9/10/4/kraized/t_Picture6m_a4e8120.png (http://www.picoodle.com/view.php?img=/9/10/4/kraized/f_Picture6m_a4e8120.png&srv=img28)

http://img26.picoodle.com/img/img26/9/10/4/kraized/t_Picture7m_4cce502.png (http://www.picoodle.com/view.php?img=/9/10/4/kraized/f_Picture7m_4cce502.png&srv=img26)

http://img33.picoodle.com/img/img33/9/10/4/kraized/t_Picture8m_b1b5e6f.png (http://www.picoodle.com/view.php?img=/9/10/4/kraized/f_Picture8m_b1b5e6f.png&srv=img33)

http://img30.picoodle.com/img/img30/9/10/4/kraized/t_Picture9m_edaa1f4.png (http://www.picoodle.com/view.php?img=/9/10/4/kraized/f_Picture9m_edaa1f4.png&srv=img30)

http://img28.picoodle.com/img/img28/9/10/4/kraized/t_Picture10m_f1a6a7d.png (http://www.picoodle.com/view.php?img=/9/10/4/kraized/f_Picture10m_f1a6a7d.png&srv=img28)

http://img03.picoodle.com/img/img03/9/10/4/kraized/t_Picture11m_e2e1b4c.png (http://www.picoodle.com/view.php?img=/9/10/4/kraized/f_Picture11m_e2e1b4c.png&srv=img03)

Anyway. I hope there is another seed of Leopard before GM or at least the GM version is different.

Honestly, I've looked at all those photos and I only really agree with the jagged stacks images comment.

I honestly can't see the issue with Calculator. I'm sure it's there, but I can't see it!

The icon app doesn't show the current date but the dock icon does. Seriously, how many people do you know that launch iCal from the applications folder versus the Dock? That's seriously anal retentive. If you're a developer I bet you're a good one, since that kind of attention to detail is always good. :-)

The rest of it looked really good to me. Like it a lot. I can see how the no fanning on stacks when you dock left might be annoying, but I'll cope. The thing I think they REALLY messed up was the way the fan works.

Think of it like this. You just added something to your stack. Say your downloads stack.

Now you go and click on that stack to access it and it fans out. Where is the thing you JUST downloaded? Right at the top of the stack. In other words about as far from your mouse cursor as it can get. It should fan out so the most recent things are near the mouse since it's most likely you want to access them! That's a basic premise of Fitts Law which Apple are typically pretty good at following.

Or am I missing something and you can change that order?

Other than that I am looking forward to purchasing my copy. :)

be well

t

wjbombo
Oct 4, 2007, 09:48 PM

I'm hoping you're feelings are off on this one as well. I expect they'll release an updated Xserve (hopefully) configuration with Leopard Server!! It's been a while since they've been updated and if feels like the right time. Only time will tell for sure, but it's fun to speculate.

Happy computing! :apple:

Peace,
Will

maclover201
Oct 4, 2007, 10:21 PM
Hey, my birthday is on the 26th LOL! :o:apple:

The Flashing Fi
Oct 5, 2007, 01:22 AM

Where did you read this from?

Generally, in the development cycle of software, late betas and release candidates are feature complete and only feature bug fixes from build to build.

I have a feeling that if anything big happens between the latest released build and the GM is the doing away with the aqua scroll bars and buttons.

brilami
Oct 5, 2007, 01:59 AM
look @ 2days date. 10.5 - osx 10.5. something is telling me, could be 2day :eek:

r-sparks
Oct 5, 2007, 04:28 AM
I've lost faith in Apple's desktop products so my next purchase will be a laptop to replace my 1.83GHz MacBook. Currently I work with a MacBook alongside an external display and external keyboard plus mouse.

A couple of things will have to have happened before I purchase:

1) Leopard will have to be mature. Maybe up to version 10.5.6 or so. All the show-stopper bugs ironed out and new features bedded-in. It has to be said that there's nothing in Leopard that I think will actually help my workflow, except the new Finder. Oh, and the scalable display might be useful for my ailing eyes -- at the moment, the dot pitch of notebook LCDs and OS X's tendency toward smaller fonts can give me eye strain.

2) LED backlighting. No more cold-cathode backlighting. My old iBook G4 had a dim screen that the Apple tech said was perfectly acceptable, and my MacBook's screen is brighter on one side than the other, and wakes up slowly so that the screen is all-but unusable for a few minutes. No more! I demand consistent, bright, reliable backlighting.

3) Solid state hard drive. This is largely to reduce noise levels because the Seagate drives favored by Apple tend to develop a weird high-pitched whistle noise (both my iMac and MacBook had this fault). But, of course, the performance is also incredible.

Because Apple tends to get into new technology early on, I'd expect a laptop fitting these descriptions to be available in around one or two years. That'll be when my MacBook is reaching the end of its usable life, provided that backlight doesn't pack-in before that.

shotters-nation
Oct 5, 2007, 06:05 AM
I hope that 26th October comes true....

A great date... the Austrian National Day and Maximo Park plays in Vienna :D

but also a sad date .... 2001 George W. Bush signed the "Patriot Act"

badlydrawnboy
Oct 5, 2007, 09:18 AM
Sorry if I missed this elsewhere in the thread, but has the "archive & install issue" with G5s been addressed? I can't upgrade until they deal with that - I just don't want to re-install everything. Such a pain.

sunfast
Oct 5, 2007, 10:25 AM
look @ 2days date. 10.5 - osx 10.5. something is telling me, could be 2day :eek:

But it isn't the 10th of May ;)

hotdamn
Oct 5, 2007, 11:26 PM
I hope that 26th October comes true....

A great date... the Austrian National Day and Maximo Park plays in Vienna :D

but also a sad date .... 2001 George W. Bush signed the "Patriot Act"

oh man, I miss Austria.

OdduWon
Oct 6, 2007, 06:21 PM
has everyone forgotten that when the intel switch happened we got the MBP first? The MBP's design is so similar to a g4 powerbook that it takes a few looks to tell them apart. the imac revisions have progressed past the PPC models, the macbook is distinguishable from an ibook, so WHEN will the MBP take on a new design.
Here is my thoughts:
The MB got a new designed keyboard at launch. The newest imac got a new keyboard revision at it's launch. The new MBP should get a new keyboard with leopard. SO why? well, there is FRONTROW 2. Yes frontrow 2 will be a big part of leopard, why you ask? apple is "in your living room". most people i see have at least a notebook in their living room, if not a full blown desktop. with apples saturation of media dispensing Iím sure they will want something to show off their dealings in the entertainment world.
BUT why would this warrant a new MBP? There is, as of now, no product in the apple line that has the style of the apple remote, besides the MB. The new imac has no magnet for the remote and a redesign was absent from the new keyboard release.
so as an opportunity to show off how streamlined and cohesive their new OS is, why would they show it off with a mis-matched MBP/imac and remote?

The circle would be complete if they released a new MBP/MB with remote and leopard. All would have been updated and set to rake in the cash for the holiday season. ;)

kwood
Oct 6, 2007, 07:44 PM
Leopard Due Tomorrow!!! Proof from Apple.com.... ok I'm getting off the stage, put the fruit down.

Taylor C
Oct 6, 2007, 08:06 PM
The MBP doesn't need a keyboard redesign. The AlBook/MBP keyboards are easily the best keyboards I've ever used (I do love my aluminum keyboard, though) on any system, notebook or desktop. If Apple made a desktop version of the MBP keyboard I would buy it instantly.

TurboSC
Oct 6, 2007, 09:04 PM
sweeet. I can't wait.. this is going to be supar.

Spikeanator6982
Oct 6, 2007, 09:22 PM
Leopard Due Tomorrow!!! Proof from Apple.com.... ok I'm getting off the stage, put the fruit down.

nice, thought that was a joke..but it does say that..nice..LOL

The Flashing Fi
Oct 6, 2007, 10:34 PM
nice, thought that was a joke..but it does say that..nice..LOL

I thought it's been saying that for a long time.

vgf
Oct 6, 2007, 11:11 PM
It has. :D
I remember the first time I saw that on the page I nearly fell out of my seat. Then I realized I was a moron.

MLeepson
Oct 9, 2007, 05:29 PM
I am thinking that there will be an announcement* sometime between Thursday and Monday.
*press release or just site update

Fuzzy14
Oct 9, 2007, 05:59 PM
I am thinking that there will be an announcement* sometime between Thursday and Monday.
*press release or just site update

According to this story (http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2005/apr/12tiger.html) in the :apple: press pages, the Tiger shipping date was Friday 29 April 2005 at 6pm. The date of the article was Tuesday April 12, 2005.

If we were to follow that model, and seeing most rumours about here are touting shipping date of 26 October, being the last Friday of this month, then the announcement should have been today. Rats!

xUKHCx
Oct 9, 2007, 06:02 PM
According to this story (http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2005/apr/12tiger.html) in the :apple: press pages, the Tiger shipping date was Friday 29 April 2005 at 6pm. The date of the article was Tuesday April 12, 2005.

If we were to follow that model, and seeing most rumours about here are touting shipping date of 26 October, being the last Friday of this month, then the announcement should have been today. Rats!

well check it (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=366505) out, if its true...

Multimedia
Oct 9, 2007, 06:07 PM

If we were to follow that model, and seeing most rumours about here are touting shipping date of 26 October, being the last Friday of this month, then the announcement should have been today. Rats!No it should be tomorrow because Monday was a holiday.

Fuzzy14
Oct 9, 2007, 06:08 PM
OK, that one slipped by me when reading other messages.
Just goes to show, I'm 20 minutes out of date but completely out of touch...

Fuzzy14
Oct 9, 2007, 06:10 PM
No it should be tomorrow because Monday was a holiday.

Didn't know it was a holiday, us Scots don't take bank holidays through the year, we save them all up and go on a big bevvy session for Hogmany.

MLeepson
Oct 9, 2007, 06:10 PM
I think it'll be announced those days because that'll give about 2 weeks until release if it's the 26th.