Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sblasl

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 25, 2004
Heber Springs, AR
On Thursday morning, Appleinsider is reporting:

"Apple announcements brewing for late October

By AppleInsider Staff
Published: 09:00 AM EST

Apple Inc. has begun preparatory measures for significant announcements to take place during the last full week of October, AppleInsider has been told.

While sources have requested that we not go into detail regarding the specific measures being put into place, they say the announcements are likely to arrive any time between the 22nd and 27th of the month.

Obviously, such a timeframe would coincide with Apple's self-imposed release schedule for Mac OS X Leopard, which the company -- after having delayed the software once -- has promised for "October."

As of Wednesday evening, the source code to Leopard had not yet been frozen and a Gold Master had not yet been declared. However, the operating system in recent weeks has inched closer to this status with the last full builds including only one known issue.

Historically, Apple has tapped the final Friday of the month to roll out its major operating system overhauls. For instance, it launched Mac OS X Tiger on the eve of Friday, April 29, 2005.

Sources have yet to rule out the possibility that Leopard would be accompanied by additional announcements from the Cupertino-based company."

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
I have a feeling that this is only Leopard but it would be nice to be wrong.
There's a possibility that SR based MacBooks could be in the offing, and a graphics update to the MacPro is well overdue, but I'm happy if it is just Leopard :)

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
"Sources have yet to rule out the possibility that Leopard would be accompanied by additional announcements from the Cupertino-based company."
Wow... that's pretty compelling. So there's still a possibility of "additional announcements" along with Leopard?

To rephrase: "Sources aren't yet certain that it's impossible that Apple will announce something other than Leopard when Leopard launches."

:rolleyes:

kbrain2929

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2007
The Ville', KY
To be truthful, I'd love to see a Apple HDTV... I know it won't happen, but hey, as Steve would say, maybe later! That'd be sweet! What about those "secret Leopard features from the earlier keynotes?? Could that be announced? :apple:

Scarlet Fever

macrumors 68040
Jul 22, 2005
Bookshop!
i want leopard :D

is it just me, or do Appleinsider and Thinksecret always make some note about Apple being a Cupertino-based company?

RichP

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2003
Motor City
Has apple ever released hardware alongside an OS release?

I would tend to think the announcement will be software related. Considering iLife and iWork were already updated, perhaps it is a big change to iTunes (content)

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
Has apple ever released hardware alongside an OS release?

I would tend to think the announcement will be software related. Considering iLife and iWork were already updated, perhaps it is a big change to iTunes (content)

they could release hardware that tuesday....

netdog

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2006
London
Aperture is due for an update, but I doubt that will be rolled out in a big splash like a Leopard rollout.

Veritas&Equitas

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Twin Cities, MN
A Friday? Has Apple ever released something like this on a Friday?

Edit: I don't see any part of that article that mentions any date whatsoever; where'd you get the 26th?

iKwick7

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2004
The Wood of Spots, NJ
I hope it's that soon. I've got to spend this Apple credit!!

That, and I finally convinced my mother and my aunt to go Apple- told them to wait until Leapord come sout because it will have "new, free, better programs."

:)

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
I Predicted 6 PM Friday October 26 Before Anyone Else Months Ago

A Friday? Has Apple ever released something like this on a Friday?

Edit: I don't see any part of that article that mentions any date whatsoever; where'd you get the 26th?
He cited the wrong article. This is the correct link:

Apple announcements brewing for late October [updated]

From my point of view this is OLD News. I predicted 6 PM Friday October 26 many months ago due to last Friday of the promised month is when Apple ALWAYS releases new OS Xs and that this will be the LAST Friday in October. Duh! :rolleyes:

See you in Palo Alto. ;)

bananas

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2007
From my point of view this is OLD News. I predicted 6 PM Friday October 26 many months ago due to Friday is when Apple ALWAYS releases new OS Xs and that this will be the LAST Friday in October. Duh! :rolleyes:

See you in Palo Alto. ;)

That's true.

and this article DOES say:
Historically, Apple has tapped the final Friday of the month to roll out its major operating system overhauls. For instance, it launched Mac OS X Tiger on the eve of Friday, April 29, 2005.

AND:

Update: We are receiving additional tips from industry sources who indicate that October 26 is currently the estimated ship date for Mac OS X Leopard.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001
Mac OS X Leopard on October 26th?

Appleinsider believes that Apple is preparing for announcements late in October, specifically between the 22nd and 27th of the month.

They specifically point to October 26th as the likely ship date for Mac OS X Leopard, but don't rule out the possibility of additional announcements near that date.

Article Link

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.