Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

designingdani

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 22, 2007
louisville, ky
i have a mac and my husband has a pc and we just bought a brand new ipod classic to share. until he decides he's done with his computer overheating every hour and updating his virus software and decides to join me in mac bliss, we have to work out some way to get our music and video on this ipod while using our respective platforms, bringing up some questions i hope you all can help me with.

1. is there a better way to sync both of our music to the ipod aside from putting it all one computer and keeping track of what we download? i tried to do a manual sync, which would have worked if we were both on the same platform, but it appears you have to commit to mac or pc. we have an external drive we both use if that helps.

2. he has all kinds of video files, mostly avi, that he would like to get into itunes so we can put it on the ipod. does anyone have any suggestions on how to convert these files into something itunes can play (preferrably something that doesn't cost any money)?

thanks in advance.

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
I beleive that if the iPod is formatted in Windows, your Mac can still access it. I'm not sure if that goes for iPods, but it works with my USB flash drive.

mcvaughan

macrumors 65816
Aug 9, 2007
Houston, TX
I believe the only time it matters what format the iPod is in is when you want to install a software update on the iPod.

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
I beleive that if the iPod is formatted in Windows, your Mac can still access it. I'm not sure if that goes for iPods, but it works with my USB flash drive.
I know this used to work when there were 2 versions of iPods sold, but the last time I tried it and looked up the documentation it seemed to say that as soon as you plug it into either a Mac or a PC, if it is not formatted correctly it will automatically format the iPod for that os. If this is correct (I didn't try, I was scared to) it means that you cannot use an iPod on both systems. Does anybody know the real scoop? I would love to know but don't want to risk it.

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
I know this used to work when there were 2 versions of iPods sold, but the last time I tried it and looked up the documentation it seemed to say that as soon as you plug it into either a Mac or a PC, if it is not formatted correctly it will automatically format the iPod for that os. If this is correct (I didn't try, I was scared to) it means that you cannot use an iPod on both systems. Does anybody know the real scoop? I would love to know but don't want to risk it.

I could understand iTunes not being able to sync to it, which even though this is the point, I think that if used as an external HD, both the Mac and PC can write and read it if it's formatted for Windows.

hankolerd

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2007
Seattle, WA
i have a mac and my husband has a pc and we just bought a brand new ipod classic to share. until he decides he's done with his computer overheating every hour and updating his virus software and decides to join me in mac bliss, we have to work out some way to get our music and video on this ipod while using our respective platforms, bringing up some questions i hope you all can help me with.

1. is there a better way to sync both of our music to the ipod aside from putting it all one computer and keeping track of what we download? i tried to do a manual sync, which would have worked if we were both on the same platform, but it appears you have to commit to mac or pc. we have an external drive we both use if that helps.

2. he has all kinds of video files, mostly avi, that he would like to get into itunes so we can put it on the ipod. does anyone have any suggestions on how to convert these files into something itunes can play (preferrably something that doesn't cost any money)?

thanks in advance.

As long as you check the 'manually manage disk' box on a windows formatted ipod, it will work fine for mac or pc. But that is not true for reverse, windows cannot do anything at all with a macintosh formatted iPod, in fact when you plug it in it asks you to format it to windows.

As far as converting from .avi to iPod format video...i'm not sure, since i only have a 30Gb iPod I have never bothered trying to make room for videos...I am not sure.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.