PDA

View Full Version : is the eMac monitor problem still there?

Ambrose Chapel
Aug 28, 2003, 02:34 PM
a friend of the family wants to get an eMac (the GHz combo model). I haven't heard much lately about the monitor problem - raster shift or whatever it was - has it been taken care of or are a large number of eMacs still defective this way? thanks

WinterMute
Aug 28, 2003, 02:39 PM
No, its been sorted, the eMac is a solid machine, I have the older 700, it never suffered from a problem.

Dont Hurt Me
Aug 28, 2003, 02:40 PM
in 1 word- yes- and the 1 gig model is the best buy out there of any mac in my opinion.

Ambrose Chapel
Aug 28, 2003, 03:46 PM
ok thanks. i'll let them know they should go get one!

solvs
Aug 28, 2003, 04:18 PM
If I recal correctly, it was an issue with some eMacs that had GF2 MX cards. That has long since been fixed, and the current crop have Radeon 7500s anyway. Not the best, but not the worst. The current low end iMac has a GF2 MX, the 17" has a GF4 MX, and neither seems to have that problem.

Freg3000
Aug 28, 2003, 05:46 PM
I currently think that the eMac is the best value that Apple sells right now. With the iMac, the worst. Go for it.! :)

QCassidy352
Aug 28, 2003, 07:10 PM
my family has a 1 Ghz combo emac and it has absolutely no problems whatsoever. A *fantastic* value (so why does the emac get no respect?? :confused: )

Mblazened
Aug 28, 2003, 07:52 PM
emacs a notorious for raster shift problems, at least the early ones. Big pain in the ass. I guess its been solved.

Lancetx
Aug 28, 2003, 08:38 PM
I've had a 1GHz Combo Drive eMac for almost 4 months now and it has been fantastic. The raster shift problem was sorted out long before the current models started shipping in May.

I'd also like the echo the sentiments of others here and say that the current $999 Combo Drive eMac is easily the best value for the dollar that Apple currently offers. I bought mine essentially to bridge the gap until the G5 is available in the iMac and I couldn't be happier with the purchase. I've been pleasantly surprised with how good it really is and I've not had a single problem with mine. Just as a note too, you will want to add at least an additional 256MB RAM to the standard configuration as 128MB is not sufficient to multitask efficiently in OS X.

MacMaelstrom
Aug 28, 2003, 09:01 PM
:confused: Perfect timing. I just came in here to ask the same thing... And to say that:

My school just got a new lab. 30 700 MHz eMacs, for the kids, and one 1 GHz for the teacher. I worked on the GHz today helping my science teacher set it up for scanning. there's a discoloration at the bottom left, and if you play a pretty heafty sound, the display jitters. The geometry is also messed up. Not badly, but still messed up. The top right is a bit bigger than all the other corners. Not very important, but it's a helluva lot annoying. I also hear no degauss ever coming from it. We probably restarted 30 times, and unless Macs are really quiet degaussers, I never heard a thing. Then agian, I'm used to a Compaq 19" that you can hear degaussing in the next room. I didn't even know about the display problems until I came home and started doing some lookabouts. I'm almost certian I'll see a raster shift, since I THINK these are lower revisions becasue they have the bigger holes in the speaker grills.

Before I was using it for a while I kept thinking, This is the one I'm getting... :D
Perfect! Now I'm thinking, this is insane. I don't want to get a LCD because dead pixels make me insane. I don't want a tower even, because they're too much and now I have a limited space. I don't want to get the eMac because of this. Somebody help me. :(

Lancetx
Aug 28, 2003, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by MacMaelstrom
:confused: Perfect timing. I just came in here to ask the same thing... And to say that:

My school just got a new lab. 30 700 MHz eMacs, for the kids, and one 1 GHz for the teacher. I worked on the GHz today helping my science teacher set it up for scanning. there's a discoloration at the bottom left, and if you play a pretty heafty sound, the display jitters. The geometry is also messed up. Not badly, but still messed up. The top right is a bit bigger than all the other corners. Not very important, but it's a helluva lot annoying. I also hear no degauss ever coming from it. We probably restarted 30 times, and unless Macs are really quiet degaussers, I never heard a thing. Then agian, I'm used to a Compaq 19" that you can hear degaussing in the next room. I didn't even know about the display problems until I came home and started doing some lookabouts. I'm almost certian I'll see a raster shift, since I THINK these are lower revisions becasue they have the bigger holes in the speaker grills.
(

If they are 700 MHz models and have the larger holes in the speaker grills, then they are the older models that were subject to the raster shift problems. The current models released in May are 800MHz (CD) & 1GHz (Combo & SuperDrive) and have the new speaker grills/ATI graphics/Airport Extreme, etc, and do not have the raster shift problems...

MacMaelstrom
Aug 28, 2003, 09:22 PM
Yes.. They are 700 MHz now that I think of it... Great! Live raster shifts. I guess, that come next year, I'll probably get an eMac... I'm sure everything, including speaker shielding will be sorted by then, then agian, we might even have a whole nother line, like the uMac. Get it? iMac, uMac. they're all vowels too! Maybe then we'll have flawless LCDs too. Or a G6... Heh.

Daveman Deluxe
Aug 29, 2003, 01:30 AM
What exactly is raster shift?

MacMaelstrom
Aug 29, 2003, 05:52 AM
A raster shift is when the bottom 1/3 of the display raster shifts to the top... good example here:
http://groups.yahoo.com/groups/apple_emac

Just an update on my eMac rant, the display picture retracts and expands when the brightness is changed. As in when you have it set on loooow brightness or it's warming up, it's about 1 cm of black boarder. But when it's fully warmed up there's about .4 cm of black. Cheap shadow mask is what someone's saying. Low rated powersupply, too. If they upgraded that they might solve near all problems.
C'mon Apple! The iMac is and was great, but give another vowel a chance!

Ambrose Chapel
Aug 29, 2003, 07:03 AM
Originally posted by Lancetx
you will want to add at least an additional 256MB RAM to the standard configuration as 128MB is not sufficient to multitask efficiently in OS X.

yeah they are getting it from one of the online vendors who is including an extra 256. i still think 256 should be the base amount any mac ships with...

WinterMute
Aug 29, 2003, 08:10 AM
The magnets in the speakers do affect the bottom corner coloration if run at full blast, but they don't sound any good anyway, buy a nice set od self-powered monitors and have done with it.

My 700 eMac is a lovely machine, I agree with QCassidy352 why does it get no respect, it's as capable as my 1ghz 17" PB in all areas (a bit slower is all), and it's not as sexy as the iMac with the 17" Screen, but its only 700 with an ed discount, what do you want, dancing girls?;)

I love the eMac, I just ordered one for my sister, and my mum wants one too, its a perfect way for non-macheads to get into the mac experience without shelling out 1200 for the base iMac.

Long live the (slightly ugly) eMac.