PDA

View Full Version : How do you find viewing video on the 3rd gen nano?

slicedbread
Oct 4, 2007, 03:36 PM
I'm flip-flopping between getting one of the new nanos, mostly for watching videos/TV eps on the train and tube (UK equivalent of the subway!).

How does everyone that uses the nano for watching videos find it? Obviously the screen is tiny, but I hear because of the brightness and high DPI count it's decent.

I only intend to watch 30min/1hr tv eps on my tube journeys. About 45mins from end to end, perfect time to watch an episode of Heroes or Prison Break etc.

Opinions welcome!

Stampyhead
Oct 4, 2007, 03:58 PM
It's awesome. I watched a full length movie on mine on an airplane once and it was fine.

MLeepson
Oct 4, 2007, 04:01 PM
Love it. The picture is crystal clear, the one issue I have is that the screen is a bit small. It's not hard-to-look at hard, just a bit small. I still love it though, I watch The Office on the bus everyday.

Dagless
Oct 4, 2007, 04:11 PM
For films it's a big no, for TV shows I don't mind it. IMO the 5G/Classic screen is the perfect screen size whilst being completely portable (I'd add iPhone/Touch but storage is limited).

slicedbread
Oct 4, 2007, 04:29 PM
yes i was thinking of a touch originally, but seeing how I carry my nano everwhere it seems to be a better fit for portability needs. plus its shorter now which is good.

Phil A.
Oct 4, 2007, 04:46 PM
My Wife's got a 3G Nano and watches video on it all the time. I had a go withit and found that if you hold it in your lap the screen is plenty big enough and the picture quality really is awesome. One thing though is that I would always recommend using the full screen option: This automatically crops widescreen video to the 4:3 ratio of the screen and means you don't have any black bars taking up precious screen real estate!

CHAOS STEP
Oct 4, 2007, 05:13 PM
I had my doubts before I got mine, however it works amazingly well as the screen is so crisp and clear.

pivo6
Oct 4, 2007, 05:47 PM
I had my doubts before I got mine, however it works amazingly well as the screen is so crisp and clear.

I agree. The picture is very clear, however I still need the use my reading glasses.

kwood
Oct 4, 2007, 05:53 PM
I found it was crystal clear and sharp. But looking at it too long then looking up caused problems. It takes my eyes about 2 seconds to refocus. Good when I am on a bus, not so good when I am driving.

I'm kidding, I would never watch a movie on an iPod while driving.

drb6
Oct 4, 2007, 06:19 PM
Dunno if you have a store near you, but check it out if you can. I stopped by and watched video on a nano. Its pretty decent but still small. if you're not particular about how you watch your shows, it would work.

For me, unless it was music videos or tv shows i've already seen, it would bother me to use the nano's screen

Cromulent
Oct 4, 2007, 06:24 PM
I just ordered myself a new 8GB nano because of the back to school offer and I'm glad that people are saying the video is fairly decent. I'll be able to watch a few Lost episodes when I'm bored now :).

Passante
Oct 4, 2007, 06:58 PM
The new nano looks great even to my 50 year old eyes:eek:

rye9
Oct 4, 2007, 08:40 PM
I'll watch my first video on my new nano tomorrow... I can't wait. :). Would anyone recommend watching a movie though? I would imagine the screen is fairly small and there's not many instances where one would have a good free hour and a half to devote to a small screen but I can't speak for everyone.

mfacey
Oct 5, 2007, 03:04 AM
I watched a full movie on my nano on the plane last week. Went fine, but its not perfect. In some instances you miss out on a lot of details in the film. Plus you can't read any of the on screen text (like when they show location, time, etc). Using the airplane monitor is more pleasing, and the steward was making fun of me :rolleyes: Nevertheless, I would imagine its great for short commutes and such.

Tom B.
Oct 5, 2007, 06:42 AM
I find watching video to be much better on my nano than it was on my 5G iPod. I look forward to seeing some more UK TV Programmes on iTunes so that I can use my nano to its full potential.

epicwelshman
Oct 5, 2007, 09:56 AM
I found it was crystal clear and sharp. But looking at it too long then looking up caused problems. It takes my eyes about 2 seconds to refocus. Good when I am on a bus, not so good when I am driving.

I'm kidding, I would never watch a movie on an iPod while driving.

Haha, I definitely did a double take with that comment!

I saw the new nanos for the first time today, and OMG they're stunning. I really want one. I would definitely go for a Nano over a Classic.