Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sam Spade

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 30, 2007
If Leopard is released on or around Oct. 26, when will I be able to walk into an Apple Store and purchase an iMac with Leopard? How long after the release date before Amazon is shipping the Leopard machines?

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Apple Stores will likely have a DVD to give to purchasers of all new Macs. Will probably be a couple of weeks until the ship with Leopard pre-installed.

Amazon will not have it at launch and you will likely have to purchase Leopard from Apple for a nominal fee like $20 as in past OS upgrades. Several weeks until they get pre-installed models.

Or I could be totally wrong.

Sam Spade

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 30, 2007
Several weeks until they get pre-installed models.

Or I could be totally wrong.
Man, I hope you are. I've been anxiously awaiting Leopard before purchasing my first iMac. It would sure suck to have to wait another few weeks after the release to get a pre-installed machine.

casjohnr

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2007
It would be better if you got one with Tiger preinstalled and the upgrade DVD as then you have both Tiger and Leopard.

Almost like BOGOF :)

theanimala

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2007
I am hoping they give a free upgrade, or very cheap upgrade, if you bought just before it. The current $100 amazon rebate is good on purchases through 10/22, so I was planning on ordering that day. Hopefully I can get the new OS and the $100 rebate. Sweet...

eRondeau

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2004
Canada's South Coast
It would be better if you got one with Tiger preinstalled and the upgrade DVD as then you have both Tiger and Leopard.

Not me. I'm also waiting for Leopard to ship as the OS. My current iBook started life with 10.3.2, so it's seen about 20 major software updates to the current 10.4.10 (soon to be 10.4.11). God knows what little pieces of code from 10.3.3 are still clogging up my hard drive. My first new Mac in four years will be a 24" iMac, and it will be purchased with a virgin Leopard OS.

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
Not me. I'm also waiting for Leopard to ship as the OS. My current iBook started life with 10.3.2, so it's seen about 20 major software updates to the current 10.4.10 (soon to be 10.4.11). God knows what little pieces of code from 10.3.3 are still clogging up my hard drive. My first new Mac in four years will be a 24" iMac, and it will be purchased with a virgin Leopard OS.

Cool, and I understand that you would want an actual Leopard install disc with all of iLife and other software on it rather than use upgrade discs. But you must know that it really doesn't matter. If you buy your new Mac with Tiger and you get the upgrade discs for Leopard you can simply erase the hard drive (which is recommended) and install and it won't make any difference.

I'm near certain that Leopard will be rock solid but some people are concerned so it would be better to buy with Tiger and have both OS's in case Leopard acts up you can simply go back to Tiger.

Also one more note, don't expect Leopard to come pre-installed on new Macs until at least 2 weeks after the release date, it's always been like that. You can buy from the online store and most likely get it your Mac with Leopard installed faster.

iHermes

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2007

Almost like BOGOF :)

that's actually a good idea ... never thought about that ... but at the same time, i will be getting the applecare protection plan to go along with the imac so shouldn't the protection plan cover everything if not all of the issues i will be having with my new mac ...?

i've been waiting to convert from a pc to mac ... now i'm waiting for leopard ... i don't know if it's going to hurt me if i wait a little longer for leopard to come out later or purchase it with tiger and upgrade when leopard is stable with all bugs fixed ...? what's your take?

nt7561

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2007
that's actually a good idea ... never thought about that ... but at the same time, i will be getting the applecare protection plan to go along with the imac so shouldn't the protection plan cover everything if not all of the issues i will be having with my new mac ...?

i've been waiting to convert from a pc to mac ... now i'm waiting for leopard ... i don't know if it's going to hurt me if i wait a little longer for leopard to come out later or purchase it with tiger and upgrade when leopard is stable with all bugs fixed ...? what's your take?

Hi everybody!
I've been also waiting a long time to order my imac as soon as leopard comes out, but finally i decided to order now the iMac (I have an old win-laptop:mad::mad: that is nerve braking!!), and upgrade later to leopard. In this way I'll have both versions!! So if the new one is not stable I can work with Tiger till they give an update!

iHermes

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2007
brings me to a thought ... if i get a imac with tiger on it ... upgrad to leopard say not right away but a few upgrades later, will they put out another leopard cd with the most current upgrades to it? So for example, this leopard is 10.5 ... will there be a cd with leopard 10.5.8 or something or should i just buy the leopard that will be coming out in a few weeks and all the upgraded version will be updated through the internet ...? get it?

part of me would like to wait for the new os to come with the computer, but another part of me say forgetaboutit ... just go for this version of os and upgrade to leopard later when all the bugs and everything's been fixed, etc.

i'm just afraid it won't be stable and i'm stuck with a unstable new imac for a while until apple decides to fix it ...

also, how would the adobe programs/software (cs3) run on tiger? how about leopard?

sorry for the threadjack ...

badtzmaru

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2007
question for mac veterans: Is there just one price for the new Leopard?

I just bought a mac mini a couple of weeks ago with Tiger on it. Of course I want to upgrade but does Apple offer upgrade packages like Microsoft and Windows? Or is it just one price for a full install?

netdog

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2006
London
question for mac veterans: Is there just one price for the new Leopard?

I just bought a mac mini a couple of weeks ago with Tiger on it. Of course I want to upgrade but does Apple offer upgrade packages like Microsoft and Windows? Or is it just one price for a full install?

Full install. Full price.

Spankey

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2007
NJ
Powermax is now offering a free Leopard upgrade with purchase. Not bad if you are buying now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.