PDA

View Full Version : Buyer's Remorse-A Little Help Here

Football1maniac
Oct 4, 2007, 06:30 PM
Hi everyone, I am right now being faced by a mental problem. I've had my iPod touch for about two and half weeks now, and I love the little thing. But now, I'm getting some buyers remorse for the iPhone.:o Can someone help me out here? Just the other day, my cell phone started ringing and I held my iPod to my ear. :rolleyes:Someone convince me that iPhone's are horrible and stick with the touch, or tell me the pros about the iPhone. Thanks in advance.:apple:

RumMunkey
Oct 4, 2007, 06:37 PM
Well, the best iPhone you can get is 8GB. Your touch has TWICE that storage, plus you don't have to pay AT&T $100 every month for the next 2 years to use it.

Football1maniac
Oct 4, 2007, 06:43 PM
Yeah, I was thinking about that too. The storage, I've figured out now, is actually not that big of a problem to me. I have about 2 GBs filled so far on my iPod. Take out the videos and I only have 1 GB. Usually, I delete videos off my computer to free up space on my Hard Drive, and my iPod just deletes it after I sync up with it. And about the AT&T thing, I'm already on AT&T and pay for the $5 a month plan for text messaging so it will only cost me $15 dollars more a month. Wow, $360 more dollars over the next 24 months. That's making me think even more...

RumMunkey
Oct 4, 2007, 06:51 PM
Ok, well you can use whatever headphones you want with the iPod. The iPhone has a goofy recessed headphone jack so that becomes a problem.

Football1maniac
Oct 4, 2007, 06:53 PM
Ok, well you can use whatever headphones you want with the iPod. The iPhone has a goofy recessed headphone jack so that becomes a problem.

Yeah, but I like the Apple earbuds for some reason...What about games? When will they put more games and Apps on the two products? That's what I want the most for my touch personally.

ezekielrage_99
Oct 4, 2007, 07:21 PM
The iPod Touch is a one off purchase, the iPhone you have to fork out for the monthly bills.

Football1maniac
Oct 4, 2007, 07:30 PM
Yeah, I've been thinking about that also. Does anyone know anything about Apps for the iPod touch? That's probably the main thing I want that it doesn't have...yet

bob5820
Oct 5, 2007, 02:41 AM
Hold a brick to you ear and pretend you upgraded the software on your unlocked iPhone

kuebby
Oct 5, 2007, 10:47 AM
Hold a brick to you ear and pretend you upgraded the software on your unlocked iPhone

Or just pretend to use your touch as a phone in public so people think you have an iPhone.

sanford
Oct 5, 2007, 04:38 PM
Hi everyone, I am right now being faced by a mental problem. I've had my iPod touch for about two and half weeks now, and I love the little thing. But now, I'm getting some buyers remorse for the iPhone.:o Can someone help me out here? Just the other day, my cell phone started ringing and I held my iPod to my ear. :rolleyes:Someone convince me that iPhone's are horrible and stick with the touch, or tell me the pros about the iPhone. Thanks in advance.:apple:

I was going to wait for the iPod touch to come out -- I figured it was going to happen -- but caved and bought an iPhone a few weeks before the touches were announced. Then about a week later we bought one of the last 4GBs for my wife. I'm glad I jumped the gun.

With the tight integration with iTunes, even though my music collection -- at least the subset of it I store on my Mac -- is about 19GB, not including photos and video, and I only have about 7.3 GB accessible for storage on the iPhone, it's just not a problem. I swap out what I want when I want. Right now I have about a 100 albums on my iPhone, with room for a couple of movies, or a movie and a couple TV shows -- that in addition to a couple hundred high-photos from iPhoto from my last 90 days album, then all my iCals and contact information, bookmarks, 50 e-mails sync'ed with my .mac account. 8GB with 7.3 user accessible is just not a problem. You buy new music, you listen the hell out of it for a couple weeks or months if it's great, then you buy some new stuff, then go back to specific old stuff for a couple weeks once a while. iTunes makes all the very easy to swap out.

The iPhone is my first flash-based iPod. Right now, to hold all the music I have in iTunes, I'd have to have a hard drive player, and although I've kept my video iPod as a spare, I'd never go back to hard drive for my main player. The battery life with flash is phenomenal in comparison. The max battery life is the max battery life, it's not the max battery life of a 32MB or smaller playlist -- the video iPod's cache size -- repeated until the battery dies, so long as you don't skip songs, call up different songs, etc.

Look at this way: before iPods and the like, say you had 1,500 CDs -- a huge collection -- and you had one of these giant portable carry cases and a top-quality portable CD player. Your battery life was worse, and how many discs did you carry around? 50? A hundred if you were really, really into carrying a lot of music -- and in a pack or bag, you'd only carry at the most probably 25 in a portable case.

As for AT&T, our family plan for 2 iPhones is only about $120 a month, total with taxes. We paid T-Mobile $100 a month -- contract rate but no longer on contract but we weren't planning on giving up our mobiles -- for more anytime minutes, but no data, no roll-over minutes and no in-network (that's any AT&T mobile number, not just ones ones your plan) free mobile-to-mobile calls anytime, day or night, 365 days years. It's a wash. Really the only time we actually came even slightly close to using our 2,000 minutes total between us was when my wife was in the hospital on the high-risk OB unit for a pre-term labor problem (everything came out fine). How often do things like that happen?

So, you have to decide about phone usage. And just make sure and check voice and EDGE coverage in your area first. From my experience, the AT&T reference map for good coverage doesn't cheat: if it reports good coverage for a given area, it is good coverage. We have fewer call quality and dropped call problems than with T-Mo and our EDGE download speed is 190kbps average.

ellsworth
Oct 5, 2007, 08:13 PM
I bought a refurb iphone, activated it as a gophone plan phone, canceled it, and now I am enjoying my iphone as a spiffy ipod.. No regrets here.. The lack of storage allows you to pick and choose your most fav or treasure media.. Hope this helps out! :p

ezekielrage_99
Oct 8, 2007, 12:33 AM
Or just pretend to use your touch as a phone in public so people think you have an iPhone.

LOL that would work so well in a country where the iPhone hasn't been release (e.g. Australia).

I like the idea :D

Tim117
Oct 8, 2007, 12:47 AM
You sound like you actually really want the iPhone.