PDA

View Full Version : Nike+ Amp Watch Released

bdj21ya
Oct 5, 2007, 08:14 AM
Why hasn't there been anything in the news forum about this? It was released yesterday for heaven sakes. For some reason, not even Apple's Nike+ page has been updated with the new product.

twoodcc
Oct 5, 2007, 08:25 AM
can you post a link or something?

liketom
Oct 5, 2007, 08:35 AM
and i want one!!!!!
http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.engadget.com/media/2007/10/nike-amp-plus-headline.jpg

http://www.nike.com/index.jhtml?l=nikestore,home#l=nikestore,grid,_grid,f-10002+49583/so-publishDate0,_pdp,cid-1/gid-161927/pid-161929&re=US&co=US&la=EN

http://www.nike.com/index.jhtml?sitesrc=USPL&l=nikestore,grid,_pdp,cid-1/gid-161927/pid-161926,_grid,f-26005+22004

http://www.nike.com/index.jhtml?l=nikestore,home#l=nikestore,grid,_grid,f-10002+49583/so-publishDate0,_pdp,cid-1/gid-161927/pid-161929&re=US&co=US&la=EN

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.engadget.com/media/2007/10/nike-amp-plus-headline.jpg

twoodcc
Oct 5, 2007, 08:39 AM
i want one also. i'll wait til they are in stores though. i wonder how long it'll take?

psychofreak
Oct 5, 2007, 08:40 AM
I'm surprised this partnership between the two companies hasn't gone further, especially for something with cycling (maybe they don't want to be seen encouraging cycling with music, but so many people do it...)

Jasonbot
Oct 5, 2007, 08:40 AM
This watch is so cool, I really want one! And its not too costly either (compared to what I was expecting).

liketom
Oct 5, 2007, 08:41 AM
I'm surprised this partnership between the two companies hasn't gone further, especially for something with cycling (maybe they don't want to be seen encouraging cycling with music, but so many people do it...)

yep i know i should not cycle and ipod at the same time but it does help me go faster and longer :cool:

just make sure i got my helmet on ;)

psychofreak
Oct 5, 2007, 08:42 AM
This watch is so cool, I really want one! And its not too costly either (compared to what I was expecting).

It looks cool in pictures, but I'm thinking maybe it would look odd on someone's arm in real life...not everything is a black background...

liketom
Oct 5, 2007, 08:43 AM
It looks cool in pictures, but I'm thinking maybe it would look odd on someone's arm in real life...not everything is a black background...

the black/red one looks spot on , as soon as i can order one in the UK i'm having one

twoodcc
Oct 5, 2007, 08:44 AM

yeah $80 isn't too bad.

yep i know i should not cycle and ipod at the same time but it does help me go faster and longer :cool:

just make sure i got my helmet on ;)

i agree, but i don't see how that would work with the bike and all. it'd be a lot more miles though.

liketom
Oct 5, 2007, 08:47 AM
yeah $80 isn't too bad.

i agree, but i don't see how that would work with the bike and all. it'd be a lot more miles though.

If they did a Nike+ Speedo with ipod then we are cooking on gas :cool:

"you have cycled 37 miles , current pace 2 min per mile " - bring it :D

twoodcc
Oct 5, 2007, 08:50 AM
If they did a Nike+ Speedo with ipod then we are cooking on gas :cool:

"you have cycled 37 miles , current pace 2 min per mile " - bring it :D

i'm not saying it wouldn't cool. i just don't see it happening.

so how does the watch communicate with the ipod? through the sensor we already have?

liketom
Oct 5, 2007, 08:52 AM
i'm not saying it wouldn't cool. i just don't see it happening.

so how does the watch communicate with the ipod? through the sensor we already have?

from nike+ site

The Nike Amp+ Sport Remote Control is a watch and a remote for the Nike+ experience. Hear instant voice feedback of your time, distance, calories and pace when you add the Nike+ iPod Sport Kit and Nike+ Ready shoes. Wear the watch alone for a stylish, unique timepiece.
Durable polyurethane strap can be cut to your exact preference for a natural, comfortable fit

Stainless steel custom-fit buckle

LED displays time of day and icons for iPod® nano controls when activated by the remote

Instant voice feedback of time, distance, calories and pace

Power song accessed through left-side button for quick motivation

Raised remote buttons for easy grip and precision #
50m water resistance

so i guess it will just work with the ipod adaptor via the nano

twoodcc
Oct 5, 2007, 08:54 AM
from nike+ site

The Nike Amp+ Sport Remote Control is a watch and a remote for the Nike+ experience. Hear instant voice feedback of your time, distance, calories and pace when you add the Nike+ iPod Sport Kit and Nike+ Ready shoes. Wear the watch alone for a stylish, unique timepiece.
Durable polyurethane strap can be cut to your exact preference for a natural, comfortable fit

Stainless steel custom-fit buckle

LED displays time of day and icons for iPod® nano controls when activated by the remote

Instant voice feedback of time, distance, calories and pace

Power song accessed through left-side button for quick motivation

Raised remote buttons for easy grip and precision #
50m water resistance

so i guess it will just work with the ipod adaptor via the nano

i guess so.

so when can we buy it?

liketom
Oct 5, 2007, 08:57 AM
i guess so.

so when can we buy it?

nike + site USA - right now
you lucky git's :D

http://www.nike.com/index.jhtml?sitesrc=USPL&l=nikestore,grid,_pdp,cid-1/gid-161927/pid-161926,_grid,f-26005+22004

bdj21ya
Oct 5, 2007, 09:15 AM
Sorry for not posting more completely with pictures/link, I'm at work, so I try to get in what I can.

tobefirst
Oct 5, 2007, 09:30 AM
The watch looks...interesting. I think I'd have to see one in person before I pass judgment on it, positively or negatively. I remember reading about this a long time ago- it is good to see that it is finally on the market.

Jasonbot
Oct 5, 2007, 09:39 AM
Does it tell the time on the LEDs? 'coz that could appear a little weird.

twoodcc
Oct 5, 2007, 10:12 AM
nike + site USA - right now
you lucky git's :D

oh ok. i guess it just went onsale today? i think i'll wait and see if it's in stores this weekend or next week.

The watch looks...interesting. I think I'd have to see one in person before I pass judgment on it, positively or negatively. I remember reading about this a long time ago- it is good to see that it is finally on the market.

yeah, i want to see one in person. but it seems i could get great use out of it.

that's what it says. i don't see how though.

bdj21ya
Oct 5, 2007, 11:09 AM

I think those little LED's ARE in fact the watch display also. They're going for a modern trendy sort of look. I like it personally, but I think it's open to interpretation.

twoodcc
Oct 5, 2007, 12:41 PM
I think those little LED's ARE in fact the watch display also. They're going for a modern trendy sort of look. I like it personally, but I think it's open to interpretation.

i wish we had a better view of it

Jasonbot
Oct 5, 2007, 01:08 PM

We definitely need more pics. From what I can see the grid seems to be 6x6 with a bigger gap between column 4 and 5. This does not seem sufficient to display the full time.

twoodcc
Oct 5, 2007, 01:21 PM
We definitely need more pics. From what I can see the grid seems to be 6x6 with a bigger gap between column 4 and 5. This does not seem sufficient to display the full time.

yeah i don't see how the time is on there.

i hope it's in stores soon, so i can go check it out. but it's not even on anyone's websites yet (besides nike)

lasuther
Oct 5, 2007, 02:52 PM
I'm not sure why I'd want to get one of these things. My nano is on my arm and has easy access. Spending that much money for a remote a few inches away from my nano just doesn't make much sense.

I do want to see this watch in person and see if it does anything else or has some good features to tie in with the Nike+. But if it is just a remote, I could probably pass.

mkrishnan
Oct 5, 2007, 03:03 PM
yeah i don't see how the time is on there.

There's a Japanese company with watches like that -- there is an array of LEDs that tells time in a unique sort of way (that is, they don't look like Arabic or for that matter Chinese numbers, per se, but rather you count them or use codes). They're sort of a hipster fashion accessory (some of them are très cute). But it seems a little too artsy for Nike, so I'd think that maybe that the unlit LEDs aren't easily visible and so you're just seeing some of the LEDs from a complete array (which has enough pixels to show the time).

That also makes sense from the standpoint that it seems awkward to even show all of the play/pause/next/prev/stop/etc icons with just the LEDs you see in the picture!

But I guess we shall see soon! :p

psychofreak
Oct 5, 2007, 03:07 PM
There's a Japanese company with watches like that -- there is an array of LEDs that tells time in a unique sort of way (that is, they don't look like Arabic or for that matter Chinese numbers, per se, but rather you count them or use codes).My friend had one of those...by the time he had read the time, it had changed!

mkrishnan
Oct 5, 2007, 03:10 PM
My friend had one of those...by the time he had read the time, it had changed!

I actually was really tempted to get one, more as jewelry than an actual watch. http://www.my-smileys.de/smileys3/567.gif

Jasonbot
Oct 5, 2007, 03:13 PM
It might be a scrolling display?

liketom
Oct 5, 2007, 03:28 PM
It might be a scrolling display?

whatever it just looks plain cool - and under priced too:cool:

Jasonbot
Oct 5, 2007, 03:37 PM
Someone add an "are you getting a nike+ Amp watch" poll, plz!

twoodcc
Oct 7, 2007, 08:01 PM
i still don't see it anywhere else for sale except nike's site

liketom
Oct 13, 2007, 11:03 AM
i still don't see it anywhere else for sale except nike's site

do you think i could buy it off nike USA and get it shipped over to the UK ?

desperate to get one asap

QCassidy352
Oct 13, 2007, 11:41 AM
Ok, maybe I'm not getting this. You still need the nike+ kit, and you still need the nano... so what does this do? Moves the controls down to your wrist? And for that I'd pay $80? Um... no.

Now, if I could use it with the sensor and NOT the nano, that would be worth something to me. It's not clear to me from the website whether that would work...

Applespider
Oct 13, 2007, 11:50 AM
do you think i could buy it off nike USA and get it shipped over to the UK ?

I'm leaving to go to a Nike store in the next 15 minutes to buy a different Nike+ watch. I don't mind picking one up for you if you tell me the colour you'd want. I'm flying home this afternoon so could stick it in the post on Monday/Tuesday for you.

liketom
Oct 13, 2007, 01:23 PM
I'm leaving to go to a Nike store in the next 15 minutes to buy a different Nike+ watch. I don't mind picking one up for you if you tell me the colour you'd want. I'm flying home this afternoon so could stick it in the post on Monday/Tuesday for you.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE - Red if you get this in time :0

(just noticed Applespider is off line :( )

Applespider
Oct 13, 2007, 03:15 PM
I checked the thread from the Apple store at Stanford in case you'd replied. But if it makes you feel any better, they didn't have red in the little store I was in. Only the green and the pale blue...

I got my watch though ;)http://g-ec2.images-amazon.com/images/I/21EiacT6pBL._AA160_.jpg

liketom
Oct 14, 2007, 01:39 AM
thanks for offfering though
:)

aswitcher
Oct 14, 2007, 02:49 AM
Does it actually display the time visually? Pics?

jbomber
Oct 16, 2007, 12:35 AM
Does it actually display the time visually? Pics?

Basically you have to press a button on the side to have the time display. the LEDs light up to show the hour, and then 'scroll' up before showing the minutes. it's very slick looking and the rumors are abounding that the iphone is about to get some nike+ love.

Which would make the amp+ watch the COOLEST REMOTE CONTROL EVER!

aswitcher
Oct 16, 2007, 03:48 AM
Basically you have to press a button on the side to have the time display. the LEDs light up to show the hour, and then 'scroll' up before showing the minutes. it's very slick looking and the rumors are abounding that the iphone is about to get some nike+ love.

Which would make the amp+ watch the COOLEST REMOTE CONTROL EVER!

Nice. I really want to see pics of that.

liketom
Oct 16, 2007, 04:02 AM
i need more pictures :cool:

might even post a thread on market place wanting one :rolleyes:

liketom
Nov 3, 2007, 02:32 AM
The Nike+ Watch is now on the Nike+ Store in the UK £60

Happy running
Nike+:apple:

aswitcher
Nov 3, 2007, 02:39 AM
The Nike+ Watch is now on the Nike+ Store in the UK £60

Happy running
Nike+:apple:

Not available downunder yet

QCassidy352
Nov 3, 2007, 07:28 PM
Ok, since nobody answered me, let me ask again... not trying to be obnoxious, but I really don't get this product.

Why on earth would I want to add an additional piece to the nike+ set up? What does it allow you to do that you can't do with just an ipod? Is the point simply to move the controls to your wrist? Cause if so, I gotta say, that's one enormous rip-off.

liketom
Nov 4, 2007, 03:08 AM
Ok, since nobody answered me, let me ask again... not trying to be obnoxious, but I really don't get this product.

Why on earth would I want to add an additional piece to the nike+ set up? What does it allow you to do that you can't do with just an ipod? Is the point simply to move the controls to your wrist? Cause if so, I gotta say, that's one enormous rip-off.

at the moment - if i want to pause a workout or skip a song whilst on my run i have to reach my right arm accross my chest to press the button on the nano armband- the angle makes me loose concentration and speed whilst running.
The watch is easy access and also means i can get rid of the armband and put the nano in a pocket and still do a work out.

I'm also guessing that if i'm in the gym on the treadmill and i want to record my run i can just have the nano without headphones on in a pocket - the watch starts and stops workouts and also tells me what pace and distance i've done.

Mine will be here tues/wed time so i will do a full review if you like:cool:

QCassidy352
Nov 4, 2007, 08:54 AM
at the moment - if i want to pause a workout or skip a song whilst on my run i have to reach my right arm accross my chest to press the button on the nano armband- the angle makes me loose concentration and speed whilst running.
The watch is easy access and also means i can get rid of the armband and put the nano in a pocket and still do a work out.

I'm also guessing that if i'm in the gym on the treadmill and i want to record my run i can just have the nano without headphones on in a pocket - the watch starts and stops workouts and also tells me what pace and distance i've done.

Mine will be here tues/wed time so i will do a full review if you like:cool:

ok, I see. Personally, I wear my nano clipped to my waistband, so that's as easy-access as my wrist is. But I can see how the watch would be better than trying to control your workout from an armband.

A review would be cool. :)

liketom
Nov 7, 2007, 08:34 AM
UPDATE- Nike+Amp has arrived and is on my wrist as i type!

this watch is one hell of a sexy watch ! almost all of my IT department has come over to see it in action.

Style is more Apple like then Nike, so no wonder i fell in love with it:D

more details later when i get home and with pictures too ;)

liketom
Nov 7, 2007, 12:52 PM
i've uploaded a video demo of the Amp - my .Mac is slow as hell ! file is about 13MB and the running time is 2.30 min ish

Youtube Link - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFHue9NDGXI
http://homepage.mac.com/thestringer/nike/

QuarterSwede
Nov 7, 2007, 01:08 PM
That thing is fantastic. It would even make a great remote if the range was long enough. :D

liketom
Nov 7, 2007, 01:20 PM
That thing is fantastic. It would even make a great remote if the range was long enough. :D

range works about up 7-8 meters - i was upstairs and changed the song on my ipod plugged into my stereo ;)

i can see apple going full out and putting a ipod in a watch with wireless syncing - just the battery that needs to shrink before that happens though :( 5 years or so maybe:cool:

Can
Nov 7, 2007, 04:49 PM
I must say it looks good. Personally I don't listen to music when I do training etc, but It must be 'goody' for people that do. Congratulations on the purchase.

mkrishnan
Mar 4, 2008, 11:48 AM
this watch is one hell of a sexy watch ! almost all of my IT department has come over to see it in action.

Nice juxtaposition. :p

It is pretty, though. Have you run with it? Thoughts?

liketom
Mar 4, 2008, 11:53 AM
Nice juxtaposition. :p

It is pretty, though. Have you run with it? Thoughts?

yes running with it is a breeze - to be fair i use it more for cycling with my ipod - skip and pause on my wrist saves time stopping.

next revisions should get rid of the little trasmitter that plugs into the ipod - bluetooth seems like a better choice

tobefirst
Apr 29, 2009, 10:50 PM
Sorry to drag up an old thread, but I'm thinking about getting one of these and had a question. It seems like it is answered in liketom's last post, but I wanted to ask to be sure:

Do I have to actually be in a workout to use the watch to change songs?

More specifically, if my nano cannot find the shoe sensor, will it still work? I would like to get this watch to use while hiking. I'd love to throw my nano in my pack, where it will be protected from water, and be able to switch songs from the watch, all without using the shoe sensor. Can someone confirm?