PDA

View Full Version : iPod causes man's pants to catch fire at airport!

majordude
Oct 5, 2007, 08:27 AM
Saw this today:

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/14271878/detail.html

clevin
Oct 5, 2007, 09:37 AM
hopefully not a design flaw, such a tiny thing, wonder if apple compact the stuff too much that it can't cool down properly..?

Sdashiki
Oct 5, 2007, 09:41 AM
What was he listening to?

probably this (http://www.weddingvendors.com/music/lyrics/b/buster-poindexter/hot-hot-hot/)

majordude
Oct 5, 2007, 10:04 AM
Does that look like a charger cord to you? I don't think it is for headphones... and you can tell from the burn marks that they were attached at the time of the melt down.

Confused... suspicious. :confused:

Vuzie
Oct 5, 2007, 10:09 AM
Hrm... he's listening to it while it's from his pants... but it looks like he had the dock connector plugged in. Lithium battery aside, something seems a little fishy about this story. What is he carrying an iHome in his pants too??

Feverish Flux
Oct 5, 2007, 10:11 AM
Why is the picture on their site a white one and the video of a black one?

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.engadget.com/media/2007/10/ipod-nana-440.jpg

Squonk
Oct 5, 2007, 10:18 AM
Does that look like a charger cord to you? I don't think it is for headphones... and you can tell from the burn marks that they were attached at the time of the melt down.

Watch the video clip. That picture from the OP is from another person who's nano went poof, not the guy with it in his pocket.

majordude
Oct 5, 2007, 10:24 AM
Watch the video clip. That picture from the OP is from another person who's nano went poof, not the guy with it in his pocket.

I am the OP!

Typical shoddy TV journalism in that the photo and the video are referenced on the site relating to the same news story.

Squonk
Oct 5, 2007, 10:44 AM
I am the OP!

Typical shoddy TV journalism in that the photo and the video are referenced on the site relating to the same news story.

Oops, sorry about that. I wasn't trying to be snotty in the previous post, not sure how it was received. I forgot some :)'s.

majordude
Oct 5, 2007, 11:03 AM
Oops, sorry about that. I wasn't trying to be snotty in the previous post, not sure how it was received. I forgot some :)'s.

No offense taken. :D

notjustjay
Oct 5, 2007, 01:55 PM
Great, now all we need is for airport security to ban iPods as a potential terrorist weapon...

Tom B.
Oct 5, 2007, 02:24 PM
Maybe he was thinking about those new Zunes... :p

Bern
Oct 5, 2007, 02:50 PM
And yet despite the flames that were supposed to have reached head high he has come off unscathed :confused: I don't believe his story of that piece of paper protecting him. This dude is just looking to make a buck out of Apple.

Squonk
Oct 5, 2007, 03:21 PM
And yet despite the flames that were supposed to have reached head high he has come off unscathed :confused: I don't believe his story of that piece of paper protecting him. This dude is just looking to make a buck out of Apple.

Yeah, if there were flames 2ft high, let's see the charred t-shirt!!

Jaffa Cake
Oct 5, 2007, 03:25 PM

...something seems a little fishy about this story.

I don't believe his story...You're saying he's a liar then? The fact that his pants were on fire would certainly suggest he is... :D

Vuzie
Oct 5, 2007, 06:40 PM
You're saying he's a liar then? The fact that his pants were on fire would certainly suggest he is... :D

O dear, I can't belive it took this long for someone to make that connection (myself included). Awesome, dude.

drummingcraig
Oct 6, 2007, 10:12 AM

I watched the piece on CNN, and I immediately thought the same thing when he showed how high the "flames" came up. Obviously he did not have flames coming up out of his pocket. I think he said flames but probably meant "smoke" as later in the piece he references "smoke coming out of my pocket".

The thing did burn a hole in his pocket so I wouldn't be so quick to call him a liar. Whether he tries to turn this into a lawsuit is another matter.

So now we apparently have two documented cases of the iPoof. Wonder if we'll see a major recall?

Craig

puttputt
Oct 6, 2007, 01:08 PM
I am doubting the truth to the story. Apple is a prime target for fraudulent claims.

And... just because there is a burnt hole in his pocket does NOT mean the iPod caused it... try this: hold a lighter in your hand, put it in your pocket, flick the lighter... now sue me.*

I am sure Apple will fully investigate the matter and get back to us. In the meantime we can freely speculate that this dude is looking to make a quick buck.

lol: the newslady, when first mentioned the Nano, called it a "nana"...

and after watching the video, the guy does seem believable. [sigh]

*disclaimer: this statement is meant for comedic purposes only and no one should flick a lighter in their pocket.[sign]

drummingcraig
Oct 6, 2007, 01:39 PM
I am doubting the truth to the story. Apple is a prime target for fraudulent claims.

And... just because there is a burnt hole in his pocket does NOT mean the iPod caused it... try this: hold a lighter in your hand, put it in your pocket, flick the lighter... now sue me.*

I am sure Apple will fully investigate the matter and get back to us. In the meantime we can freely speculate that this dude is looking to make a quick buck.

lol: the newslady, when first mentioned the Nano, called it a "nana"...

and after watching the video, the guy does seem believable. [sigh]

*disclaimer: this statement is meant for comedic purposes only and no one should flick a lighter in their pocket.[sign]

Is it really that tough to imagine that some of the Nanos may have defective batteries? :confused: I mean, I know that plenty of people are lawsuit happy these days, but you would have to be some kind of moron to try and commit fraud against one of the world's biggest corporations, in a court of law no less, and get away with it.

Apple (along with other major companies) have had battery issues in the past, and it appears that this isn't an isolated incident.

Again, I am not saying that this guy won't try to sue. I just think thats its a bit of a stretch to automatically assume that the whole thing is bogus.

Craig