Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gwuMACaddict

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 21, 2003
washington dc
Just curious which Color Mode and settings most of you use.

I tend to stick with Color Mode II, and 0 sharpening/ contrast/ etc.

The "Vivid" setting can be fun.

thr33face

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2006
why do you need this kind of information?

what will you gain by knowing other peoples settings?

gwuMACaddict

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 21, 2003
washington dc
I said I was just curious. Wondering how people set up their color modes- maybe based on subjects or results they hope to achieve.

What do the rest of us gain by reading your asinine post?

thr33face

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2006
The rest will get nothing out of my previous post. That is because i asked you (not the rest) something.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
When I get my D300 (aways down the road), I'll shoot RAW, just like I do now with my D70 - so the colorspace will be unimportant. But when I was a beginner and shot jpeg, I switched to Adobe sRGB because of the wider color gamut.

leumluath

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2005
Well, mine's not a D200, it's a D100, but likewise Color Mode II (Adobe RGB) and no sharpening or other adjustments.

I prefer to control my sharpening, etc. in PhotoShop, and Adobe RGB because it's a wider gamut than sRGB.

tttexxan

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2007
Im a D200 owner and shoot mainly if not always in Mode 1 due to using Srgb...If you use Adobe then mode II is what you want....Mode 3 is hypersaturated and used mostly for landscapes....Mode I is better for skin tones. You can use RAW in all of these modes.

Another thought though...If using mode II with Adobe instead of Srgb you have to remember to convert over to Srgb for web or final print....I find that Srgb is better for what Im doing. Less Post Processing.

My other settings are Sharpness either 0-2 and everything else such as contrast and saturation set to Auto.

Give Thom Hogans book a look see....I havent ordered yet but heard its good.

Im on the list for the D300 but w8ing to see if leaps and bounds above D200

sblasl

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2004
Heber Springs, AR
It is a very good book and Thom discusses this very subject.

Where are you going to get your D300 from?

Give Thom Hogans book a look see....I havent ordered yet but heard its good.

Im on the list for the D300 but w8ing to see if leaps and bounds above D200

tttexxan

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2007
I have my name on two different waiting lists at this time in Fort Worth....I was told probably first of the year since the lists are long...Im not in a big hurry....I would really like to see some samples first....I hear the AF is great and less noise by about 1 - 1 1/2 stops......I want to get my hands on one and play around first.....Love my D200 but a very very large learning curve....D200 gives great pics though

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I doubt you'll get 1.5 stops or greater. I think you'll see a 1 stop improvement over the D200, but I mean.....honestly......even the D80 had a 1/2 stop advantage over the D200, all with the same sensor. ;) By the time the D80 came out, Nikon had more time to tweak the processing for the sensor, which was why the D80 takes slightly better photos.

I'm going to wait for the D80's successor. I would love the D300, and I feel that it would be the perfect camera for me (ie: arguably too much camera for me,but it would give me everything I want and never leave me longing for a better camera). Unfortunately, I can only afford the D80. I want to see the "D80s" use the D300's sensor, but include similar AF points to the D80, 5 fps shooting, and leave it at that.

If the D300 drops in price by that time, I may consider the D300 over the D80s, but I doubt this will happen.

tttexxan

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2007
I doubt you'll get 1.5 stops or greater. I think you'll see a 1 stop improvement over the D200, but I mean.....honestly......even the D80 had a 1/2 stop advantage over the D200, all with the same sensor. ;) By the time the D80 came out, Nikon had more time to tweak the processing for the sensor, which was why the D80 takes slightly better photos.

I'm going to wait for the D80's successor. I would love the D300, and I feel that it would be the perfect camera for me (ie: arguably too much camera for me,but it would give me everything I want and never leave me longing for a better camera). Unfortunately, I can only afford the D80. I want to see the "D80s" use the D300's sensor, but include similar AF points to the D80, 5 fps shooting, and leave it at that.

If the D300 drops in price by that time, I may consider the D300 over the D80s, but I doubt this will happen.

It would be nice to see the D300 come in at over 1 stop on ISO better than the D200. Have to wait about another month to see...Im in no rush to buy as the D200 takes care of most my needs

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.