PDA

View Full Version : Bungie Splits from Microsoft, Mac Games Ahead?

MacRumors
Oct 5, 2007, 01:14 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Confirming rumors (http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com/digitaljoystick/archives/122799.asp) circulating earlier this week, Microsoft announced (http://www.crn.com/software/202300001) today that Bungie Studios will be spun off into a privately held company in which Microsoft will hold a minority equity interest.

Bungie Studios was founded in 1991 as a Mac game developer, but in 2000 was bought by Microsoft who launched Bungie's Halo as an exclusive title for Microsoft's Xbox. The Halo franchise has seen enormous success, with Halo 3 launching with record sales numbers.

Comments by Bungie (http://www.macworld.com/news/2007/10/05/bungieinterview/index.php) to Macworld indicate that while Bungie will continue to focus on the Xbox, they open up the possibility of returning to the Mac platform.
"But sure, now that we're branching of and controlling our destiny, that puts us in a position where we could put ourselves back on the [Mac] platform definitively again," said Jarrard.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/10/05/bungie-splits-from-microsoft-mac-games-ahead/)

psychofreak
Oct 5, 2007, 01:17 PM
Lets not get our hopes up here, MS is pretty good at hurting Mac users, they still have a good few things they can use to keep Bungie in tone with their thinking...

twoodcc
Oct 5, 2007, 01:19 PM
Lets not get our hopes up here, MS is pretty good at hurting Mac users, they still have a good few things they can use to keep Bungie in tone with their thinking...

maybe so, but this is still a good sign, in my mind at least

mcarnes
Oct 5, 2007, 01:21 PM
Marathon 4 anyone?

miketcool
Oct 5, 2007, 01:22 PM
Marathon 4 anyone?

Marathon Resurrection

psychofreak
Oct 5, 2007, 01:22 PM
Marathon 4 anyone?

More like Halo 3 Mac-exclusive (apart from the 360) in a few years, doubling the Mac's market share :)

twoodcc
Oct 5, 2007, 01:24 PM
More like Halo 3 Mac-exclusive (apart from the 360) in a few years, doubling the Mac's market share :)

you mean Halo 2?

p0intblank
Oct 5, 2007, 01:25 PM
Wow. And I thought this rumor was too far-fetched. This is good news for Mac users! Perhaps we'll get some exclusives? One exclusive title can make a huge difference.

hunterjoules
Oct 5, 2007, 01:25 PM

I doubt the Mac will get any exclusive Halo content, as I think Microsoft still owns the rights to the Halo universe.

psychofreak
Oct 5, 2007, 01:26 PM
you mean Halo 2?

Nope, Halo 2 is already on the PC. If Bungie feel hostile towards MS, then it would be a great backlash to make Halo3:Mac and not Halo3:Windows :)

clevin
Oct 5, 2007, 01:26 PM
they write game for $$$, and most mac platform (mini, low-end imac, macbook) cannot run it, plus small market share, no wonder they won't write for mac, is that not reasonable?

pigbat
Oct 5, 2007, 01:27 PM
Nope, Halo 2 is already on the PC. If Bungie feel hostile towards MS, then it would be a great backlash to make Halo3:Mac and not Halo3:Windows :)

MS owns the IP for Halo. They will control Halo's destiny, not Bungie.

happydude
Oct 5, 2007, 01:28 PM
bring back marathon!!! marathon 4?! :apple::D:apple:

twoodcc
Oct 5, 2007, 01:28 PM

yeah, but don't have Halo 2 for Mac yet.....i highly doubt they'll skip 2 and go straight to 3.....

psychofreak
Oct 5, 2007, 01:31 PM

Call it something else (Hulo3), with main character Moster Chof...it would be fun, like it was with the early Pro Evolution games...

w00master
Oct 5, 2007, 01:32 PM

In a way, they already did. It's called Halo.

w00master

Object-X
Bring back Myth Bungie! After 10 years, Myth and Myth II still are fun games to play; and people are still playing it online. Let's hope Bungie will revisit the RTS genre.

BoB 7
Frog Leap the Vent Core!

MacQuest
Oct 5, 2007, 01:33 PM
Maybe they'll make "Hola" as a way to say "Hello" back to the Mac community and give the finger to microsoft's attempts to keep Mac gaming development by Bungie down.

:D

CHROMEDOME
Oct 5, 2007, 01:41 PM
I can't wait to play Pimps at Sea on my Macbook.

La Porta
Oct 5, 2007, 01:46 PM
Behold! The return of Pathways into Darkness!!!

Chaszmyr
Oct 5, 2007, 01:47 PM
Time for Apple to buy Bungie! :p:rolleyes:

mentatbashar
Oct 5, 2007, 01:48 PM
Cya Starside!

gkarris
Oct 5, 2007, 01:48 PM
Since these games are so expensive to develop. It leaves them room to port the games over to and develop current franchises for the PS3 and Wii...

Zwhaler
Oct 5, 2007, 01:49 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3A110a Safari/419.3)

great news, now we just need a real mac gaming machine. Macworld anyone?

diamond.g
Oct 5, 2007, 01:51 PM

That would be funny. Doesn't Microsoft get first dibs on games Bungie comes up with (ie making Bungie 2nd Party)?

longofest
Oct 5, 2007, 01:51 PM
Glad they came out and confirmed what everyone was hoping since the rumors started swirling.

Halo 3 rocks. I never got into Marathon, but I'm a huge Halo fan.

aeneas07
Oct 5, 2007, 01:53 PM

That may not be entirely true, with the spinoff Bungie could very easily acquire the rights, it just depends how they structure the deal. I would find it hard to believe they would spin off the company and not give them control over their main product.

Or they may be able to do what they want and just pay the royalties if MS still obtains the rights.

They are many ways it could roll out

r-sparks
Oct 5, 2007, 01:53 PM
Macs are such an obvious target for games producers. But you can't understand this unless you forget about Apple's history. Forget about the history of Macs being used in the art and design fields, or its push for the business desktop. Forget about the people who stereotypically use Macs: zealot sniffy fashion-conscious types.

Look at what Apple is now: a home entertainments retailer. iPod/touch + Mac + AppleTV + iPhone.... They're all part of an interlinked circle of home entertainment devices used by younger people, and fashionable older people.

All Apple has to do is rise to the challenge. Really push the boat out on the gaming possibilities of the touch v2, for example, which will involve serious hardware investment. Macs are already capable gaming machines, but they'll have to find a way around the PC market's dispiriting obsession with the latest and greatest hardware -- the average shelf-life of an iMac means that its graphics card is hopelessly out of date by the time a new model replaces it (unless Apple introduce a method of upgrading the card).

But gaming on a Mac is so obvious nowadays. It almost has to happen at some point.

I've said it before and I'll say it again but Apple and Nintendo have an awful lot in common. Both are disruptive and innovative second-party players. If I were Apple, I'd be sending a few executives for meetings in Kyoto.

crees!
Oct 5, 2007, 01:59 PM
they write game for $$$, and most mac platform (mini, low-end imac, macbook) cannot run it, plus small market share, no wonder they won't write for mac, is that not reasonable?

From what I've read about them weren't they first an exclusive Mac only game developer?

kainjow
Oct 5, 2007, 02:01 PM
I can't wait to play Halo 4 on my iPod teeny.

psychofreak
Oct 5, 2007, 02:03 PM
I can't wait to play Halo 4 on my iPod teeny.Actually, after seeing the HaloDS thing, and with awesome touchscreen iPods (in whatever form they'll be in in 5/6 years) that may not be such a crazy idea...

overcast
Oct 5, 2007, 02:06 PM

and no one able to play it because of poor graphics cards.

diamond.g
Oct 5, 2007, 02:07 PM
Some speculation (http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1075247&postcount=56) as to the terms of the separation. The thread is rife with ideas. None of them sound as simple as the news lends itself to sound.

Basically I could see Mac games comming from Bungie, but I am sure if the IP is compelling MS will still make money off the deal.

jdechko
Oct 5, 2007, 02:08 PM
Their next IP will be "Ring Planets" and the protagonist will be a super-solder - the Master Something-or-other. :)

Sounds like Halo, but it's not. It's completely different. :)

overcast
Oct 5, 2007, 02:09 PM
But gaming on a Mac is so obvious nowadays. It almost has to happen at some point.
With 4% market share, it's not exactly obvious. Especially when only a tiny fraction of that will even have capable graphic subsystems.

I've said it before and I'll say it again but Apple and Nintendo have an awful lot in common. Both are disruptive and innovative second-party players. If I were Apple, I'd be sending a few executives for meetings in Kyoto.
What would that accomplish, do you think Nintendo - the king of exclusives, would ever work with another company to cash in on its gaming? Please.

clevin
Oct 5, 2007, 02:10 PM
From what I've read about them weren't they first an exclusive Mac only game developer?

I don't know, but game industry is so different today. and computer industry is also VERY different than 1990s.

mac now has 5% market, among this 5%, probably 65% are mini, MB, low-end imacs. among them, how many play latest 3D games? its really a small market if you ask me.

diamond.g
Oct 5, 2007, 02:11 PM
With 4% market share, it's not exactly obvious.

What would that accomplish, do you think Nintendo - the king of exclusives, would ever work with another company to cash in on its gaming? Please.

I think Nintendo would work with/for Apple for lots and lots of money and Nintendo keeping any IP it came up with. Oh and Apple would have to bend to Nintendo's rules on pretty much everything. Soooo how many here think Apple would play nice?? ;)

I don't know, but game industry is so different today. and computer industry is also VERY different than 1990s.

mac now has 5% market, among this 5%, probably 65% are mini, MB, low-end imacs. among them, how many play latest 3D games? its really a small market if you ask me.

Hmm, Apple could make the AppleTV the Pippin 2. I mean it does have the basic power needed to pull off similar games as the Wii. All Apple would need is a compelling gimm.. er, control scheme and they should be in business. Of course then they need games...

clevin
Oct 5, 2007, 02:12 PM
I think Nintendo would work with/for Apple for lots and lots of money and Nintendo keeping any IP it came up with. Oh and Apple would have to bend to Nintendo's rules on pretty much everything. Soooo how many here think Apple would play nice?? ;)

haha, apple plays nice? not til the world ends

Copland
Oct 5, 2007, 02:14 PM
I'm not sure how many of you know this or if it's been mentioned, but Bungie originally programmed only for Macs. Halo was originally designed for the Mac, until Microsoft saw it and bought the company.

Source: Rolling Stone Magazine, Issue 1036

jdechko
Oct 5, 2007, 02:16 PM
On another note, however, isn't Halo the only thing that Bungie's worked on over the last several years?

It seems to me like the XBox needed a killer app, and Bungie was struggling at the time (if I recall correctly). Now that MS has established the XBox brand, and Bungie has a ton of money, the split is easy to understand. The only real reason for the absorption of Bungie into MS might have been to preserve exclusivity as a joint venture/partnership might not have been enough. Now that Halo is over, the need for exclusivity is no longer necessary, and the companies have re-split.

MM2270
Oct 5, 2007, 02:18 PM
In a way, they already did. It's called Halo.

w00master

Surely you jest! While Halo's story is in ways connected to Marathon, the Marathon plot-line was WAAAAAAY better than Halo's IMO.
I was incredibly disappointed in how silly and mundane the story for Halo was, coming from Bungie, the masters at complex storylines in a game.

Honestly, the only thing Halo has over Marathon in my opinion is better graphics.
Halo 3 may become the biggest selling game ever, but that's only because young gaming kids these days have never experienced what it's like to play a game that actually makes you think, rather than just run around and kill things.
But hey, maybe that's all gamers these days can handle. Anything with a more complex story than a infant's board book and their attention span wanders.

I sincerely hope Bungie can get back to their roots as a game maker that makes intriguing games, in plot, game play and graphics.

Antares
Oct 5, 2007, 02:21 PM
Wow! This is the greatest news I've heard in a long time.

Please bring Myth back...please bring Myth back! :D

Much Ado
Oct 5, 2007, 02:26 PM
Bring on the Halo movie with Steve as the Master Chief and M$ employees armed with Zunes as the covenant.

Oct 5, 2007, 02:28 PM
Surely you jest! While Halo's story is in ways connected to Marathon, the Marathon plot-line was WAAAAAAY better than Halo's IMO.
I was incredibly disappointed in how silly and mundane the story for Halo was, coming from Bungie, the masters at complex storylines in a game.

Honestly, the only thing Halo has over Marathon in my opinion is better graphics.
Halo 3 may become the biggest selling game ever, but that's only because young gaming kids these days have never experienced what it's like to play a game that actually makes you think, rather than just run around and kill things.
But hey, maybe that's all gamers these days can handle. Anything with a more complex story than a infant's board book and their attention span wanders.

I sincerely hope Bungie can get back to their roots as a game maker that makes intriguing games, in plot, game play and graphics.

Halo is simply utter CRAP when compared to Marathon's deep storyline, excelent puzzles and wonderful shoot em' up 2.5D gameplay. I tried Halo demo on the Mac and it's just as boring as any Quake out there.

The problem is that the kids nowadays only see graphics and FPS. Marathon was WAY more than that, at a time when Doom, another piece of crap, dominated the PC scene.

I can only remember a great many hours spent on my Quadra 605 with Marathon I and II...simply wonderful games. If they could only develop Marathon 4 with similar originality, I would be happy.

4JNA
Oct 5, 2007, 02:29 PM
i have enough cpu power to destroy entire worlds, but am stuck using a 7300...:eek::::confused:

please, oh please update the macpro video cards before i am no longer able to see the screen without reading glasses...

getting tired of the V12 power coupled with the 50mph spare tires.

kainjow
Oct 5, 2007, 02:32 PM
Bring on the Halo movie with Steve as the Master Chief and M$ employees armed with Zunes as the covenant.

Warcraft movie first :p

miketcool
Oct 5, 2007, 02:35 PM
Maybe they'll make "Hola" as a way to say "Hello" back to the Mac community and give the finger to microsoft's attempts to keep Mac gaming development by Bungie down.

:D

You hurt my brain with that one.

milo
Oct 5, 2007, 02:41 PM

What do you mean "no wonder"? They haven't even had the option to do mac releases since MS bought them. Whether they will now, we'll have to wait and see. If they do multiplatform releases, especially ones that include PC, I wouldn't be surprised if they do Mac as well.

galganog
Oct 5, 2007, 02:52 PM
Free At Last!!!

Free At Last!!!

Oh Lawd We're Free At Last!!!

Ubuntu
Oct 5, 2007, 02:52 PM

But economically from Bungie's view, it'd be crazy to make Halo 3 exclusive to the Mac. To the PC, it'd be okay, as there are far more PC gamers, and a smaller amount of Mac gamers would lose out, but, regardless of loyalty, Bungie is a company, and it needs to survive by working like a company.

porky
Oct 5, 2007, 02:54 PM
On a PC, you need a 8800GTS vga card to play 'comfortable' on a 22" or 24" TFT, if you want high detail that is. Most recent shooters need minimum a 8600gt to play with high detail, even with a smaller screen.

uMac
Oct 5, 2007, 02:55 PM
Maybe M$ will take the money they get from Budgie and buy Ambrosia, wouldn't that be a kick in the pants?

Escape Velocity 360....:(

diamond.g
Oct 5, 2007, 02:56 PM
But economically from Bungie's view, it'd be crazy to make Halo 3 exclusive to the Mac. To the PC, it'd be okay, as there are far more PC gamers, and a smaller amount of Mac gamers would lose out, but, regardless of loyalty, Bungie is a company, and it needs to survive by working like a company.

That and since MS still owns some 40% (rumor) of Bungie I imagine they would frown on a Mac only release of Halo 3.

phillipjfry
Oct 5, 2007, 02:56 PM
This could be some good news. If bungie was really happy with how development was going and if they didnt have plans that M$ might not agree with, this could turn out to be very interesting in the future. :)

gkarris
Oct 5, 2007, 02:58 PM
I'm not sure how many of you know this or if it's been mentioned, but Bungie originally programmed only for Macs. Halo was originally designed for the Mac, until Microsoft saw it and bought the company.

Source: Rolling Stone Magazine, Issue 1036

Yes, I remember. And I wanted Halo, but though - what kind of high-end Mac am I going to need?

Then, MS took advantage of the situation, bought them, and developed as the launch game for the XBox. I was rejoicing (I had played Marathon on my Mac). I can run Halo and all you need is a $300 console!

Now, think of a Halo FPS on a Wii! :D

clevin
Oct 5, 2007, 02:59 PM
What do you mean "no wonder"? They haven't even had the option to do mac releases since MS bought them. Whether they will now, we'll have to wait and see. If they do multiplatform releases, especially ones that include PC, I wouldn't be surprised if they do Mac as well.
i think my "no wonder" is a directly conclusion from the sentenses preceeding it. did you not read them?

option? funny, so you think without M$'s as onwer, they will write for OSX? there are countless game companies out there who are not owned by M$, how many of them are writing games for OSX?

Don't try to pinn everything into pc vs. mac, its a simple $$$ issue. game companies need to live too. they make decisions based on $$$.

diamond.g
Oct 5, 2007, 02:59 PM
This could be some good news. If bungie was really happy with how development was going and if they didnt have plans that M$ might not agree with, this could turn out to be very interesting in the future. :)
Um your M$ still hold equity share in Bungie. So I am not sure what you are getting at.

JackAxe
Oct 5, 2007, 03:02 PM
Maybe this means Bungie will innovate again!

<]=)

psychofreak
Oct 5, 2007, 03:04 PM

<]=)

You don't see the awesomness in Halo 3??!?

clevin
Oct 5, 2007, 03:13 PM

<]=)
you play game?

bilbo--baggins
Oct 5, 2007, 03:15 PM
A dark cloud floats away into the distance...

milo
Oct 5, 2007, 03:17 PM
i think my "no wonder" is a directly conclusion from the sentenses preceeding it. did you not read them?

I did. And no, it's not.

option? funny, so you think without M$'s as onwer, they will write for OSX?

The possibility went from absolutely none to some. All I'm saying is that the possibility is there, and that there's no reason to completely discount the possibility.

Don't try to pinn everything into pc vs. mac

I didn't, nothing I said had anything to do with that.

clevin
Oct 5, 2007, 03:25 PM
The possibility went from absolutely none to some. All I'm saying is that the possibility is there, and that there's no reason to completely discount the possibility.

all I was saying is the possibility is near-zero. now I guess we agree with each other. good.

w00master
Oct 5, 2007, 03:28 PM

I'm not jesting. I don't want to spoil the ending to Halo 3, but there are some *definite* connections between the two.

w00master

milo
Oct 5, 2007, 03:30 PM
all I was saying is the possibility is near-zero.

Nothing more than speculation on your part, we have no idea what the likelyhood is.

clevin
Oct 5, 2007, 03:33 PM
Nothing more than speculation on your part, we have no idea what the likelyhood is.

no problem, I can wait and see, i have confidance in my reasoning about this.

spyker3292
Oct 5, 2007, 03:34 PM

Not like they need much money after halo 3 :D

ph0rk
Oct 5, 2007, 03:43 PM
Frog Leap the Vent Core!

frog blast the vent core.

JackAxe
Oct 5, 2007, 03:43 PM

I'm not sure how I could have completely missed that, but now that you mention it; Nope! :)

<]=)

JackAxe
Oct 5, 2007, 03:45 PM
you play game?

I play game, do you play 'game' also? Which game? ;)

<]=)

offwidafairies
Oct 5, 2007, 03:46 PM
i cant believe so many people are excited about this.
i hate games. id hate for apple to focus on gaming machines.
keep the focus on video, audio & graphics

milo
Not like they need much money after halo 3 :D

It depends. According to the rumors, one possible reason they split off was that MS was pocketing virtually everything and the bungie guys hardly saw any of it.

teamturbo
One word:

MYTH IV

Bungie did such a great job at Myth 1 & 2. Myth 3 was terrible when Microsoft took over. Myth community is still very much alive and well, Bungie should look into reviving the greatest game ever created.

Earendil

I think you are either too young to know your Bungie/Gaming history, or else were not in the loop at the time.

Bungie made a number of Exclusive Mac games starting in 1991 until they were bought out by Microsoft in 2000.
Halo was demoed at MWSF (MWDC?) as a Mac only game.

Over those 9 years Bungie was anything but rich. They struggled, but they enjoyed the job of programming for the Mac, and di not bail and develope for the Windows platform. They made a few of their games cross platform, but Apple was always their home.

When they were working on Halo, they were a sinking ship. Many of them had families, and they didn't have an income to support them at the time. They were afraid that Halo would never see the light of day at the rate they were going.

They were offered a chance to launch their game as an opening title for a new platform. They were offered money to support their families. And if it paid off, fame.
Bungie in my mind has always been famous and close to my heart. I played my first Bungie game when I was 12, in my parents basement (long love Marathon).
Now Bungie is famous with the average joe. They have money. They have a support network. And they have people willing to invest money.
Many of the people there, including the original founder, Jason Jones, is still there.

I do not think that Mac games are out of the question. If the company decides they want it, I don't think finances will stand in the way. If the people in the company have morphed enough to dislike the Mac platform, then we may not see it. But I hardly think the original crew, slaving away in a rented out house with Pizza boxes everywhere running thier gaming builds on 15in CRT monitors powered by whatever Mac they could find, isn't going to at least explore the possibility of Mac Development.

Check this out.
Halo, for the Mac, 1999 preview.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=ebI5lkLRTdg&mode=related&search=

Or the early 2000 interview with Bungie Studios about Halo, prior to the buyout:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=nnRJgOayYpk

And finally a news article from the time of the buyout:
http://www.macedition.com/op/op_bungie_20000621.shtml
A snippet fromt he article below:

Yes, it’s true, and by now all of us out here in Mac-land are feeling it sinking in. I don’t know about you, but I was deeply affected by the Bungie/Microsoft deal. To have this visceral a reaction to what is really a simple business deal is a sign of how powerful a connection to Bungie most Mac gamers have. This connection is especially strong for those of us who were using a Mac during the Dark Times of the mid-90s – when Bungie was the little game company that could. They were irreverent, Mac-only, and they made the best games available on any platform. “Don’t make us kick your ass“ was emblazoned on their T-shirts at Macworld, which were always at a discount if you would swap what you were wearing with your new shirt. Not a porting house, but a Mac developer first and foremost, Bungie was who we could point to when the Mac’s gaming credentials were questioned. Bungie was, for lack of a better term, ours – a member of the family.

Okay, end tirade :)

~Tyler

teamturbo
Oct 5, 2007, 03:48 PM
Halo is simply utter CRAP when compared to Marathon's deep storyline, excelent puzzles and wonderful shoot em' up 2.5D gameplay. I tried Halo demo on the Mac and it's just as boring as any Quake out there.

The problem is that the kids nowadays only see graphics and FPS. Marathon was WAY more than that, at a time when Doom, another piece of crap, dominated the PC scene.

I can only remember a great many hours spent on my Quadra 605 with Marathon I and II...simply wonderful games. If they could only develop Marathon 4 with similar originality, I would be happy.

I agree with you! What is the deal with Halo, I think it's identical to Doom 3 or Unreal 4. Just a booooooring shoot em uper.

ph0rk
Oct 5, 2007, 03:51 PM
I agree with you! What is the deal with Halo, I think it's identical to Doom 3 or Unreal 4. Just a booooooring shoot em uper.

After playing it I assumed that MS had likely interfered with the development process - the story just wasn't as rich as other bungie games (pathways into darkness doesn't count)

MrCrowbar
Oct 5, 2007, 03:56 PM

I agree. I tried Halo 1 several times, but I can't see what's so good about it. Games like the Myst series, Shenmue on Dreamcast, or the first half of Far Cry were both fun and worth playing through more than once. :p

Dont Hurt Me
Oct 5, 2007, 04:00 PM
Apple needs to find a top notch company and have them do an exclusive Mac Game. At least this is good news.

lazyrighteye
Oct 5, 2007, 04:02 PM

Any reason why posts form you, and only you, are 2x as wide as every other post?
And it has been this way, for me, for a while now.

No biggie. Just curious...

lazyrighteye
Oct 5, 2007, 04:08 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3A110a Safari/419.3)

What if the :apple:TV evolves to also include gaming capabilities?
Assuming all hardware was up-to-snuff, would anyone be interested in such an evolution?

psychofreak
Oct 5, 2007, 04:09 PM
What if the :apple:TV evolves to also include gaming capabilities?
Assuming all hardware was up-to-snuff, would anyone be interested in such an evolution?

It would be nice to have simple games like the iPod ones IMO...

sanford
Oct 5, 2007, 04:13 PM
That and since MS still owns some 40% (rumor) of Bungie I imagine they would frown on a Mac only release of Halo 3.

It's unlikely Halo 3 will see a Mac release at all. Microsoft has been very stingy lately with Games for Windows and Xbox 360 exclusives, 360 and Windows games for which they own the IP. They own the IP, the brand, the characters, everything for Halo. Halo 3 will probably be Vista-only beyond the 360 version.

Halo has been an enormous success. The original made Xbox a viable console contender. The sequel, although disappointing to some was still as games go a very good game. Halo 3 has been much better received. All them sold incredible numbers and created a great media frenzy. But Halo is done. Bungie is moving on to other projects. The caliber of console games Bungie produces cost a fortune. I'm sure MS will continue to finance upfront, a la Gears of War, certain AAA titles, and therefore will own the IP and keep them exclusive to MS platforms. But other AAA titles, if they can create a large market for them on 360 and then 6 or 12 months later release them for PlayStation 3, that's even greater sales while not greatly diminishing the reason for lots of people to own a 360. For less grand titles, the difference between losing money and breaking even, or even making a small profit, could be simultaneous on two or three platforms.

And remember, Wii remains the overall bestselling current generation console. There's a lot of money to be made developing for Wii right now, and Wii titles rarely really compete for sales with 360 or PlayStation 3 titles.

diamond.g
Oct 5, 2007, 04:22 PM
Apple needs to find a top notch company and have them do an exclusive Mac Game. At least this is good news.

no problem, I can wait and see, i have confidance in my reasoning about this.
@Clevin
It is like people have selective reading when it comes to the press releases. Microsoft has equity stake in Bungie. So anything they do Microsoft gets money (and first dibs on). I don't understand how this is getting overlooked. :confused::confused:

milo
Oct 5, 2007, 04:31 PM
@Clevin
It is like people have selective reading when it comes to the press releases. Microsoft has equity stake in Bungie. So anything they do Microsoft gets money (and first dibs on). I don't understand how this is getting overlooked. :confused::confused:

It's not really getting overlooked, it just doesn't mean that they'll continue to be MS/xbox exclusive.

MS owns 45% of the company, that's not a controlling stake. MS will offer them deals to get exclusive titles, and they'll probably get some, but if Sony or Nintendo offered big bucks for an exclusive, MS doesn't have the power to stop them from taking it.

A Pittarelli
Oct 5, 2007, 04:48 PM
halo 3 for ps3?

diamond.g
Oct 5, 2007, 04:53 PM
It's not really getting overlooked, it just doesn't mean that they'll continue to be MS/xbox exclusive.

MS owns 45% of the company, that's not a controlling stake. MS will offer them deals to get exclusive titles, and they'll probably get some, but if Sony or Nintendo offered big bucks for an exclusive, MS doesn't have the power to stop them from taking it.

That is true. MS may not have controlling stake, depends on how the other 55% is divided. But no one can deny how good of a deal that would be for MS, to make money off Bungie regardless of who they make games for. Especially if MS is the publisher. The real question is what IP's did Bungie "take with them" in this deal.

As far as I can tell it looks like Bungie is now in 2nd party status.

"This exciting evolution of our relationship with Microsoft will enable us to expand both creatively and organizationally in our mission to create world-class games," said Harold Ryan, studio head for Bungie. "We will continue to develop with our primary focus on Microsoft® platforms; we greatly value our mutually prosperous relationship with our publisher, Microsoft Game Studios; and we look forward to continuing that affiliation through 'Halo' and beyond." from here (http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/071005/aqf020a.html?.v=2).

mentatbashar
Oct 5, 2007, 04:56 PM
I don't mean to be rude, but I cannot believe that nobody knows about Marathon, Pathways, Myth, and Oni (lol :) ).

I was down there, in the trenches, slogging it out with the Phfor with just my pistol and shotgun instead of studying for class.

Everyone has suddenly awakened to the fact that this "little known" game called Marathon bears "some" resemblance to Halo.

It's obvious that Halo is Marathon. AAAAARRRRGGGHHH!!

Ok, rant off. Whew, I'm spent.

Str8edgepunker
Oct 5, 2007, 05:09 PM
I'm so happy I want to do a rocket jump! :D

psychofreak
Oct 5, 2007, 05:12 PM
I'm so happy I want to do a rocket jump! :D
Easy there tiger! I'll jump when something materializes from this split...

ViveLeLivre
Oct 5, 2007, 06:30 PM
I don't mean to be rude, but I cannot believe that nobody knows about Marathon, Pathways, Myth, and Oni (lol :) ).

I was down there, in the trenches, slogging it out with the Phfor with just my pistol and shotgun instead of studying for class.

Everyone has suddenly awakened to the fact that this "little known" game called Marathon bears "some" resemblance to Halo.

It's obvious that Halo is Marathon. AAAAARRRRGGGHHH!!

Ok, rant off. Whew, I'm spent.

Oni was Bungie? That was a terrible game.

Frankly, I'd rather see them try something new -- a new franchise other than Halo. I just completed Halo3 and the unfinished feel of the solo campaign left a sour taste in my mouth. It's clear that they didn't flesh the game out as much as they could have, and I wonder, based on recent comments, if the breakup was the really the result of M$ cracking the whip, or if Bungie just got sick of developing for the Halo universe/storyline. If it's the latter, it's time to move on and get the creative juices flowing again. Let M$ have Halo, and build something better for the Mac.

sblasl
Oct 5, 2007, 06:41 PM
From what I read, most are gone:

"Alex Seropian and most of the original Bungie team left a long time ago to form Wideload, leaving Jason "Kiss Ass" Jones as the only remaining original Bungie developer in the hands of MS. I dunno how much Jason had an impact on the Pathway into Darkness story, the Marathon story or the Myth story but I'm guessing not that much. I think Jason Jones was the lead programmer so all the creative goodness went to Wideload. It kinda shows too. The Halo series had a somewhat lackluster storyline."

...Many of the people there, including the original founder, Jason Jones, is still there...

Earendil
Oct 5, 2007, 06:43 PM
Oni was Bungie? That was a terrible game.

Frankly, I'd rather see them try something new -- a new franchise other than Halo. I just completed Halo3 and the unfinished feel of the solo campaign left a sour taste in my mouth. It's clear that they didn't flesh the game out as much as they could have, and I wonder, based on recent comments, if the breakup was the really the result of M$ cracking the whip, or if Bungie just got sick of developing for the Halo universe/storyline. If it's the latter, it's time to move on and get the creative juices flowing again. Let M$ have Halo, and build something better for the Mac.

AFAIK, Jason (the man) Jones, co-counder of Bungie and creator of Marathon, stopped working on Halo after Halo 1, and started a new project. Perhaps he had a hand in Halo 3, but afaik he didin't touch Halo 2, and started spending the majority of his time on the next Bungie game.

Of course this is the way these things work. Game developers have minds and dev teams starting on the next project before the previous game is released. After Halo 3 was released, you'd expect a short vacation, and then everyone returns to work on the project that a smaller number of employees have already hashed out.

Bungie already has many ideas, and they have said that Halo 3 is the lasst Halo. Period. At least as far as they were concerned.

This could of course be a reason for the split. Bungie has never been one to "milk" a name for all it's worth (*cough*blizzard*cough*) And let a name die after 2 or 3 games. Microsoft probably wanted to see a Halo 4, or something else in the Halo-verse, and they refused, wanting to move on to the next project, story, idea, and genre.

I fully expect Microsoft to milk the Halo name for all its worth. I don't much like Microsoft :(

spotlight07
Oct 5, 2007, 06:53 PM

I LOVED marathon -- "they're everywhere" -- so glad Bungie is somewhat indepentent again!

diamond.g
Oct 5, 2007, 06:56 PM
Interview 1 (http://biz.gamedaily.com/industry/feature/?id=17682)
Interview 2 (http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=29329)
Interview 3 (http://kotaku.com/gaming/feature/bungie-owns-bungie-the-qa-307656.php)
Interview 4 (http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2007/10/05/bungie-talks-about-jumping-from-microsoft-we-are-not-playing-with-any-new-devkits/)

Good reads, all of them. Looks like Bungie owns itself. So I am not sure to the truthfulness of the 40% rumor.

Cesoca
Oct 5, 2007, 06:57 PM
Was it Bungie that made Bugdom?

ViveLeLivre
Oct 5, 2007, 07:15 PM
Interview 1 (http://biz.gamedaily.com/industry/feature/?id=17682)
Interview 2 (http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=29329)
Interview 3 (http://kotaku.com/gaming/feature/bungie-owns-bungie-the-qa-307656.php)
Interview 4 (http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2007/10/05/bungie-talks-about-jumping-from-microsoft-we-are-not-playing-with-any-new-devkits/)

Good reads, all of them. Looks like Bungie owns itself. So I am not sure to the truthfulness of the 40% rumor.

I don't know. Reads like marketing/nondisclosure agreement spin to me, but then I'm a cynic. I am seeing far more in these articles about how good the move will be for the 360 than rekindled desire to develop for the Mac. Not much good can come from Microsoft being a major Bungie shareholder (if the 40% is true).

ManchesterTrix
Oct 5, 2007, 07:43 PM
One word:

MYTH IV

Bungie did such a great job at Myth 1 & 2. Myth 3 was terrible when Microsoft took over. Myth community is still very much alive and well, Bungie should look into reviving the greatest game ever created.

Microsoft didn't do Myth 3. Microsoft/Bungie sold the rights to Oni/Myth to Take Two for Take Two's stake in Bungie. MumboJumbo developed Myth III and Take Two published it. Bungie won't be doing Myth 4.

BrokenChairs
Oct 5, 2007, 07:45 PM

That's as maybe but for us gamers who use Macs, it would be nice to have a small slice of the gaming pie.

Go the Pippin Mark II!

ManchesterTrix
Oct 5, 2007, 08:33 PM
Was it Bungie that made Bugdom?

No they did not.

tekcor
Oct 5, 2007, 08:50 PM

No, I saw the awesomeness of Halo when it was announced at Macworld, long before the Microsoft buyout. Since I know what Halo should have been, I simply refuse to play it, because Microsoft completely destroyed it.

ManchesterTrix
Oct 5, 2007, 09:12 PM
No, I saw the awesomeness of Halo when it was announced at Macworld, long before the Microsoft buyout. Since I know what Halo should have been, I simply refuse to play it, because Microsoft completely destroyed it.

Seriously?

Not that I think Halo is a must-play game or anything. But that's your rationale? Plus the Halo as seen at Macworld had already been substantially altered before Microsoft ever aquired Bungie. The version shown at E3 2000 looked much better than what was shown at MacWorld, and then was rewritten again because 1. Microsoft bought them and 2. Design difficulties.

Demon
Oct 5, 2007, 09:26 PM
Marathon!

The Halo world actually looks and feels a lot like marathon.
Those were the days, multiplayer frag fest.
Marathon was leaps and bounds ahead of everything else, the story and the multiplayer modes. Geez, just the mention brings back memories.

Anyone tried running marathon on the new Macs?

mentatbashar
Oct 5, 2007, 10:10 PM
Marathon!

The Halo world actually looks and feels a lot like marathon.
Those were the days, multiplayer frag fest.
Marathon was leaps and bounds ahead of everything else, the story and the multiplayer modes. Geez, just the mention brings back memories.

Anyone tried running marathon on the new Macs?

After about a ten-ish year break from Marathon a friend recently made me aware that Marathon, Marathon: Durandal, and Marathon: Infinity are able to run on newer Macs. I have a 733 Mhz Digital Audio G4 and it runs sooo much better than way back in the olden days... Of course there is a patch thingy that you have to download and install in the Marathon folder in order for it to run but it does well. :) I can't say if it will run on an Intel machine.

About the same time, much to my surprise, I found Marathon: Durandal available for download on Xbox Live. (Yes, I own an Xbox360 because of FFXI... so what :D and a PS3). Anyhoo, looks good on the box as well and still makes me jump out of my chair. Sneaky Pfhor. Warbling all over the S'pht ziggurat.

Try this link for all your Marathon needs:
http://marathon.bungie.org/

Good luck and have fun!

surferfromuk
Oct 6, 2007, 02:03 AM
One thing we do know is that once upon a time Bungie's heart and soul belonged exclusively to Macintosh and such flames of passion burn deep.

Imagine being a mac lover and being forced (legally) to 'stay away' from it?

Once you've had the money, global reach and huge success, going back to your roots is often a great way of re-energizing your ambition and putting the fun back into something that has become a treadmill.

Perhaps Bungie are sick of Microsoft's restrictive 'covenant'. :D

mdriftmeyer
Oct 6, 2007, 02:49 AM
and no one able to play it because of poor graphics cards.

In a few years every PC will be EFI default with PCI 3.0. The cards will be interchangeable between OS X, Linux, Windows and many other OSs.

http://www.pcisig.com/specifications/conventional/pci_30/

Dogenzaka
Oct 6, 2007, 03:17 AM
And yet SOME of you still don't research your facts.

* Microsoft owns 49% of Bungie.
* MGS is still Bungie's publisher
* Microsoft still runs the show at Bungie
* Everything Halo is owned wholly by Microsoft, this includes Halo Wars, the Halo Peter Jackson Project, and anything in the Halo universe.

:/

roach
Oct 6, 2007, 03:59 AM
If Halo had been developed exclusively for Macs, it wouldn't been successful. Heck, even it was PC only, it also wouldn't be successful. A lot of features, such as multiplayer, able to ride vehicles and etc thats featured in Halo, was already available on the PC, so it wouldn't been cutting edge. But with consoles, these are "NEW" features that creates excitement.

Sorry, but Mac exclusive games is not going to happen. It's hard enough for game companies to give PC some attention, let alone a Mac exclusive. Only way it could happen is if Stevie pony up millions of dollars to create an exclusive game--but he is not that stupid. I work in the industry and Mac does not even register in the radar. Porting a PC version--a year behind? That I can see.

As far a Halo titles are concern, I wouldn't be suprise if its owned by MS. Most of the games we developed are own by our publishers. They can contract the project to anybody they want to.

Wrock
Oct 6, 2007, 07:09 AM
Sorry, but Mac exclusive games is not going to happen. It's hard enough for game companies to give PC some attention, let alone a Mac exclusive.

The hope here isn't for a Mac exclusive game. Remember, before the buyout, there was Myth and Oni. These games were both Mac/PC simultaneous releases. That was what Halo was supposed to be.
The hope is for *any* Mac development. That Bungie might start developing for Mac again isn't farfetched considering their origins.

I'm still interested in seeing how this 40-50% stake works out before getting too excited.

booksacool1
Oct 6, 2007, 08:10 AM
Yay. Perhaps this means we will get something new, i.e. not halo 1 rehashes (2 and 3).
I was very disappointed with the developments in Halo 2 and 3, didn't seem revolutionary at all.

diamond.g
Oct 6, 2007, 08:10 AM
In a few years every PC will be EFI default with PCI 3.0. The cards will be interchangeable between OS X, Linux, Windows and many other OSs.

http://www.pcisig.com/specifications/conventional/pci_30/

That is great, but what about drivers? Will Apple finally let AMD/Nvidia muck around in the kernel? Or will Apple be stuck always on the last revision of a driverset? I always wondered how you change the settings of your GPU in a Mac (force AA/AF and a few other tweaks).

Yay. Perhaps this means we will get something new, i.e. not halo 1 rehashes (2 and 3).
I was very disappointed with the developments in Halo 2 and 3, didn't seem revolutionary at all.
What could have been done in H2/H3 that would have been seen as revolutionary?

Oct 6, 2007, 10:28 AM

As said above, Halo is UTTER CRAP compared to Marathon; therefore, Halos 2 and 3 should just follow the same trend. Apart from nice GFX and shoot em' up gaming, nothing revolutionary has ever been there.

savar
Oct 6, 2007, 12:15 PM
About the same time, much to my surprise, I found Marathon: Durandal available for download on Xbox Live. (Yes, I own an Xbox360 because of FFXI... so what :D and a PS3). Anyhoo, looks good on the box as well and still makes me jump out of my chair. Sneaky Pfhor. Warbling all over the S'pht ziggurat.

Yep, I've been playing M2 on xbox live for a few weeks now. What an awesome game. I forgot how much Halo and Marathon paralleled each other.

tjanuranus
Oct 6, 2007, 04:18 PM
Since these games are so expensive to develop. It leaves them room to port the games over to and develop current franchises for the PS3 and Wii...

Wii can't handle Bungie's games. Halo 3 on the Wii? haha. the thing would break as soon as you put the game in.

tjanuranus
Oct 6, 2007, 04:21 PM
As said above, Halo is UTTER CRAP compared to Marathon; therefore, Halos 2 and 3 should just follow the same trend. Apart from nice GFX and shoot em' up gaming, nothing revolutionary has ever been there.

Halo is Crap? are you insane? I wonder why it breaks every record there is as far as sales go. Maybe because just about everyone wants to play it? If it were crap it wouldn't be the biggest selling game ever. Halo 2 was now Halo 3 is. If people thought halo 2 was crap, Halo 3 wouldn't have sold like it did and currently is.

tjanuranus
Oct 6, 2007, 04:23 PM
halo 3 for ps3?

No way. Microsoft owns the Halo franchise. Besides no one has a ps3 anyway.

Much Ado
Oct 6, 2007, 04:26 PM
Maybe because just about everyone wants to play it? If it were crap it wouldn't be the biggest selling game ever. Halo 2 was now Halo 3 is. If people thought halo 2 was crap, Halo 3 wouldn't have sold like it did and currently is.

13 year olds know best?

Phhhrraaaagggg..... Kiss my *** you ********, ahah, lol, that was total Pwnage.

Southern
Oct 6, 2007, 04:28 PM
Bungie relationship with Microsoft to end. Bungie reported saying to Microsoft "it's not you, it's me"

tjanuranus
Oct 6, 2007, 04:34 PM
you think the majority of people buying this are 13 year olds? that's funny. you should have seen the line i was standing in to pick up halo. was a few hundred people and most of them were at least 17 or older. alot of males in their twenties (like me.) I have been playing video games all my life and have had many favorites, especially in the early 90's but playing this halo franchise is the most fun i have ever had. The multiplayer on line is the greatest. I played halo 2 for over two years! Now that is some replay value.

Southern
Oct 6, 2007, 04:48 PM
Actually I spend more time playing Marathon on Total Carnage than Halo, but that might have something to do with the fact that I hate trying to play an FPS with a controller - keyboard and mouse or not at all, thankyou!

shyataroo
Oct 6, 2007, 05:12 PM
Microsoft may still own the halo series IP but that doesn't stop bugnie from making a halo killer.

Who knows maybe they will finally make pimps at sea (which they've been developing secretly on macs since microsoft bought them out)

Keljeck
Oct 6, 2007, 06:32 PM
Halo is Crap? are you insane? I wonder why it breaks every record there is as far as sales go. Maybe because just about everyone wants to play it? If it were crap it wouldn't be the biggest selling game ever. Halo 2 was now Halo 3 is. If people thought halo 2 was crap, Halo 3 wouldn't have sold like it did and currently is.

TRANSFORMERS made a ton of money, but it was still a piece of trash. Just because a product makes money doesn't mean it's GOOD. Windows makes a lot of money, but it's still a ****** operating system.

I too see nothing spectacular in Halo, and I've played 1 and 2. From what I heard 3 isn't much different. I haven't played Marathon so I can't be all nostalgic.

As for Bungie's status, if Microsoft has a controlling share then it's a second party. First party is wholly owned, Second party is controlling share, and Third party is everything else. It looks like Microsoft has Bungie on a longer leash, but a leash nonetheless.

tjanuranus
Oct 6, 2007, 09:55 PM
TRANSFORMERS made a ton of money, but it was still a piece of trash. Just because a product makes money doesn't mean it's GOOD. Windows makes a lot of money, but it's still a ****** operating system.

I too see nothing spectacular in Halo, and I've played 1 and 2. From what I heard 3 isn't much different. I haven't played Marathon so I can't be all nostalgic.

As for Bungie's status, if Microsoft has a controlling share then it's a second party. First party is wholly owned, Second party is controlling share, and Third party is everything else. It looks like Microsoft has Bungie on a longer leash, but a leash nonetheless.

not a good example. you can't compare a movie to a video game. the fact that people are STILL playing halo 2 online shows that it's a great game. Millions of people around the world will be playing halo 3 for years to come just like they have with Halo 2. Unless you have really played it online you can't possibly understand. I also have Halo 1 for the Mac and it's cool but the multiplayer can't compete with xbox live.

mcarnes
Oct 7, 2007, 01:20 AM
I think windows and halo are a good comparison. I mean, they both suck and everyone still uses them. Blockbuster summer movies are like that in a way.

The majority of the public has poor taste.

diamond.g
Oct 7, 2007, 06:45 AM
Microsoft may still own the halo series IP but that doesn't stop bugnie from making a halo killer.

Who knows maybe they will finally make pimps at sea (which they've been developing secretly on macs since microsoft bought them out)

How are they able to secretly work on a Mac game, and hide that from Microsoft and have the general public know about it? unless you work for Bungie and are divulging NDA'ed info... I was always under the impression that Pimps at Sea was the code name for Halo 3. I seem to remember seeing people with that "game" on their gamertag while on live.

What I find interesting is the fact that MS is their publisher and everyone here is ignoring that. I imagine that Bungie probably wont be making a Halo killer, especially if Microsoft has first dibs.

Oct 7, 2007, 06:50 AM

If you have never played Marathon BACK in 1994/96, you will never understand...its mix of storyline, puzzles and action are unmatched, and Halo cannot compare to its intelligent design. And as far as "best-selling" software is concerned, you may use the same analogy for Windows...everybody has it, therefore it's wonderful...no thanks. :rolleyes:

tjanuranus
Oct 7, 2007, 01:05 PM
um, i have played marathon. so yes i can compare the to games and Halo is the best FPS ever. period. I have gears of war and while graphically it is the greatest console video game ever made (imo) the game play cannot compare to halo.

The comparison to windows is just stupid. The only reason so many people use windows is because it comes standard on the crappy pc's they buy. If halo came with every xbox then i would say it might be a fair comparison. it's not like everyone is getting os x or linux and saying... "man i have to go buy windows it's the best!"

nadinbrzezinski
Oct 7, 2007, 01:23 PM

Gaming machines make wonderful 3D development platforms too

And they increase the market share of a company...

Just an FYI

nüb
Oct 7, 2007, 01:24 PM
Behold! The return of Pathways into Darkness!!!

i want GNOP!:eek:

slackpacker
Oct 7, 2007, 01:38 PM
If you have never played Marathon BACK in 1994/96, you will never understand...its mix of storyline, puzzles and action are unmatched, and Halo cannot compare to its intelligent design. And as far as "best-selling" software is concerned, you may use the same analogy for Windows...everybody has it, therefore it's wonderful...no thanks. :rolleyes:

Marathon as you stated is a totally different type of game. Both are Bungie games. Why do you even bring up the Windows analagy here? It does not make sense. What really makes sense is that YOU love this type of game and are willing to defend it to the end. Others Love Halo and will defend it as well. But allas Halo does not need defending since it is a very successful franchise for Bungie. Your distaine for microsoft is apparent and really has no place when talking about the XBOX 360. Gee If you wanted you can actually play Marathon on the Xbox 360 right now its avaliable as a downloadable game for about $8 US.

chris200x9
Oct 7, 2007, 02:30 PM
not a good example. you can't compare a movie to a video game. the fact that people are STILL playing halo 2 online shows that it's a great game. Millions of people around the world will be playing halo 3 for years to come just like they have with Halo 2. Unless you have really played it online you can't possibly understand. I also have Halo 1 for the Mac and it's cool but the multiplayer can't compete with xbox live.

Just because people play it doesn't mean it's good....people are dumb....yea:cool:

Oct 7, 2007, 02:41 PM
Marathon as you stated is a totally different type of game. Both are Bungie games. Why do you even bring up the Windows analagy here? It does not make sense. What really makes sense is that YOU love this type of game and are willing to defend it to the end. Others Love Halo and will defend it as well. But allas Halo does not need defending since it is a very successful franchise for Bungie. Your distaine for microsoft is apparent and really has no place when talking about the XBOX 360. Gee If you wanted you can actually play Marathon on the Xbox 360 right now its avaliable as a downloadable game for about $8 US.

Of course I am defending Marathon, it was a much better game. The analogy of Windows was applied because someone above said that because a game sells a lot, it's wonderful. Halo has pretty much NOTHING exceptional when compared with other high-end shooter games. Great GFX? Yes. Does it make it unmatched? Not at all. I PLAYED Halo demo on the Mac, and I got bored after some 30min playing, NOTHING mindblowing that CoD or other shooters hadn't already shown.

Marathon, on the other hand, hasn't had YET a suitable competitor. All others are either dumb shooters or pure strategy. Marathon's mix was close to perfect, and Halo does NOT come close.

And yeah, Windows sucks...it will ALWAYS suck for true members of a Mac rumors site. As for consoles, I don't really care, as I don't have time nor willingness to spend on XBox/PS rigs and their cumbersome gamepads.

slackpacker
Oct 7, 2007, 02:42 PM
Just because people play it doesn't mean it's good....people are dumb....yea:cool:

Nice statement and putdown... now I get my off handed baseless reply

"I USED to think that all people on this board were intelligent"

or

"What makes you so smart"

slackpacker
Oct 7, 2007, 03:11 PM
Marathon, on the other hand, hasn't had YET a suitable competitor. All others are either dumb shooters or pure strategy. Marathon's mix was close to perfect, and Halo does NOT come close.

And there never will be according to your statements .... Your holding Marathon on this unattainable pedestal of perfection. In your eyes its a perfect game.

You don't have to play Halo .... you don't have to like Halo. Halo is NOT Marathon quit compairing the two. Halo was produced/Programed by the same guys @ Bungie who wanted to make a Game they wanted to play.

chris200x9
Oct 7, 2007, 03:46 PM
Nice statement and putdown... now I get mine off handed baseless reply

"I USED to think that all people on this board were intelligent"

or

"What makes you so smart"

I am not saying I am smarter than anyone else I'm just saying people are dumb and good is subjective.

ManchesterTrix
Oct 7, 2007, 05:19 PM
Marathon, on the other hand, hasn't had YET a suitable competitor. All others are either dumb shooters or pure strategy.

Never played System Shock 2 then.

JobsRules
Oct 8, 2007, 04:19 AM
YAWN.

Are people still fretting about Mac games?

Just get a next-gen console and relax.

jhsfosho
Oct 8, 2007, 12:03 PM
Mac Games! Alright. Too bad I already own an Xbox 360, and laptop gaming doesn't really interest me. But its still good for the mac gamers!

Oct 8, 2007, 01:04 PM
Never played System Shock 2 then.

Available on the Mac? No? So I haven't and won't, surely.

ManchesterTrix
Oct 8, 2007, 01:08 PM
Available on the Mac? No? So I haven't and won't, surely.

Fair enough, but then you're not really in a position to talk about "Suitable competitors" then. You opinion won't be very informed afterall.

Dogenzaka
Oct 8, 2007, 04:25 PM
YAWN.

Are people still fretting about Mac games?

Just get a next-gen console and relax.

And if they're willing to overpay for a white computer with a shiny OS, they have the money to buy Parallels to play a Windows game on their Mac.

thefnshow
Oct 9, 2007, 12:01 AM
or maybe steve jobs should get off his ass and try to convince game companies and software companies to make stuff for macs so boot camp wouldn't be needed

ViveLeLivre
Oct 9, 2007, 12:05 AM
And if they're willing to overpay for a white computer with a shiny OS, they have the money to buy Parallels to play a Windows game on their Mac.

3D Windows games in emulation? Have you actually tried this?

nadinbrzezinski
Oct 9, 2007, 12:11 AM

By the way, I am an owner of a vista machine that makes this MACBOOK look like a poor imitator.

There are many, and I mean MANY reasons, why Windows machines shine when used to play games.

A Mac. Not even the Mac Pro matches those stats... or for that matter the price. Yes that VISTA Machine is far more expensive than the top of the line Pro mac... then again it will last eight years or so

Now, this macbook is COMPARABLE to an equivalent Vista system. And... if we incude necessary standard software, (Word, et al) it is actually cheaper than its equivalent machine

I just spend two months doing the research

But I do not delude myself. This is NOT a gaming machine

that is what my husband'd toy is for...

Oh and THAT machine is also for 3D applications

By the way, the ONLY program I run on emulation on this machine is far from resource heavy... and it runs ok... but you must be absolutely nuts to think that you can run a power hungry 3d App in emulation. Hell, a power hungry app outside of emulation will still eat RAM like there was no tomorrow... and some of them have horrible RAM leaks...

Hemingray
Oct 12, 2007, 04:49 PM
frog blast the vent core.

Thank you! That was bugging me... :D

I sent an email to Bungie asking them if this has any implications for bringing back Marathon. We'll see if they respond...

Time to brush up on my VIDMaster status... ;)