Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Locker

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 22, 2007
Staffordshire, UK
It's almost time to order my new 24" iMac, but after reading through lots of posts about iMacs recently, I have a few questions I'd like clearing up.

1) If I buy a mac now, will a full Tiger DVD come with it? Or will it just be a "Tiger Restoration DVD" or something.
2) Will upgrading to leopard be flawless? I usually don't like upgrading because it doesn't feel clean and I think things might get messy. Will I need to backup all of my files, make a clean install of Leopard and then transfer them back over?
3) Will Apple give me a discount on Leopard if I ordered now? Or is there just no chance.
4) Will AppleCare cover the lock-up and screen discolouration issue (if I get it)?
5) And finally, if work is done on my iMac with AppleCare, do they extend the plan by a further year?

Any responses would be appreciated :)

Retired
May 16, 2006
1) If I buy a mac now, will a full Tiger DVD come with it? Or will it just be a "Tiger Restoration DVD" or something.
It will not be install-able on PPC macs, but it is full Tiger with iLife '08...
2) Will upgrading to leopard be flawless? I usually don't like upgrading because it doesn't feel clean and I think things might get messy. Will I need to backup all of my files, make a clean install of Leopard and then transfer them back over?
Its meant to be fine, but I'm going clean just in case
3) Will Apple give me a discount on Leopard if I ordered now? Or is there just no chance.
They do this after the release date is announced, giving it for free, I guess this will be around 1 or 2 weeks away
4) Will AppleCare cover the lock-up and screen discolouration issue (if I get it)?
I don't know about the screen, but there is a fix in the works for the freezing issue
5) And finally, if work is done on my iMac with AppleCare, do they extend the plan by a further year?
No

Locker

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 22, 2007
Staffordshire, UK
Thanks psychofreak :)

Without sounding like a total n00b though, what does PPC mean? I've only heard it used in reference to Pay-Per-Click :p

AlexisV

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2007
Manchester, UK
Will upgrading to leopard be flawless? I usually don't like upgrading because it doesn't feel clean and I think things might get messy. Will I need to backup all of my files, make a clean install of Leopard and then transfer them back over?

It's always 'clean'. Just choose archive and install and you'll have a brand spanking fresh OS install, but still have your old stuff.

redraidermacman

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2007
Thanks psychofreak :)

Without sounding like a total n00b though, what does PPC mean? I've only heard it used in reference to Pay-Per-Click :p

ppc= power pc processor, its apple old line of processors like G3-G4-G5, all ppc processors, but im pretty sure leopard will work on ppc systems at least the G5's

Leon Kowalski

macrumors 6502a
The ALU iMacs come with two DVDs:

Disk #1 (containing the OS-X core), is marked "iMac Media." Don't know for sure, but it might not work on anything except the new ALU iMacs.

Disk #2 (containing iLife '08, and other apps) is marked "Common Media." That seems to suggest that the same Disk#2 is shipped with several (all?) current Mac products (iMac, mini, pro, MacBook).

You can't get to first base without a working Disk #1. It's a bootable image that includes hardware-test and hard disk test/format utilities as well as the OS-X installation bits.

LK

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.