PDA

View Full Version : World's Smallest (poorly constructed) Political Quiz

bobindashadows
Aug 28, 2003, 09:57 PM
Here we go folks, I introduced this at macteens, and here it is for ya'll:

http://www.lp.org/quiz

Post your results, and why you think it's poorly constructed.

I'm this:
Right-Conservative

Personal Self-Government: 30%
Economic Self-Government: 90%

I just took an intro to sociology course, and this test leads to answers.

"Military service should be voluntary. (No draft)"

The extra "No draft" there could influence people into thinking "Oh no, I'd hate to be drafted!" and marking yes - interestingly, towards the libertarian side.

"People should be free to come and go across borders; to live and work where they choose."

"To live and work where they choose" makes out choosing "Yes" to be supporting a noble cause of some sort - it implies that it is a good thing. A better question would be "borders should be open", or "Repeal immigration laws", something like that.

"Government should not control radio, TV, the press or the Internet."

This one makes it sound like government is actually employing the journalists and stuff - I got the impression it involved slander and libel laws...

I'll post more - the west wing is on!

MrMacMan
Aug 28, 2003, 10:38 PM
"Drug laws do more harm than good. Repeal them."

Illegal drugs?

Or Legal drugs?

Backtothemac
Aug 28, 2003, 10:42 PM
According to your answers, your political philosophy is right-conservative.
Conservative
Right-conservatives prefer self-government on economic issues, but want official standards in personal matters. They want the government to defend the community from threats to its moral fiber.

Your Personal Self-Government Score is 20%.
Your Economic Self-Government Score is 80%.

As if this was a suprise. :D

amin
Aug 28, 2003, 10:52 PM
According to your answers, your political philosophy is left-liberal.

Left-Liberals prefer self-government in personal matters and central decision-making on economics. They want government to serve the disadvantaged in the name of fairness. Leftists tolerate social diversity, but work for economic equality.

Your Personal Self-Government Score is 100%.

Your Economic Self-Government Score is 20%.

bobindashadows
Aug 28, 2003, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by MrMacman
"Drug laws do more harm than good. Repeal them."

Illegal drugs?

Or Legal drugs?

While I understand what you mean, and how one could theorize that both legal and illegal drug laws do harm (not necessarily more than good), I have a feeling they refer to illegal drugs.

I've encountered that a lot of teenagers score high on the personal segment mainly because they feel that their irresponsibly sexual and drug activity is under attack by those two questions... but that's just me.

MrMacMan
Aug 28, 2003, 11:24 PM
Current Legal Drug companies can hold patens way to long, they keep these way to long.

They stop generic drugs from coming out and lowering prices!

They try every way posible to keep the patents to themselves.

Even people.

Sayhey
Aug 28, 2003, 11:27 PM
Sorry, I don't see the use of a 10 question quiz to pigeon-hole people's politics. Seem's a little more complex than that.

bobindashadows
Aug 28, 2003, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by Sayhey
Sorry, I don't see the use of a 10 question quiz to pigeon-hole people's politics. Seem's a little more complex than that.
*shrugs* suit yourself. It is kind of general, but it helps give you an idea.

tazo
Aug 28, 2003, 11:59 PM
it told me i swayed to the left; tells you what kind of great test it is ;)

IJ Reilly
Aug 29, 2003, 01:17 AM
The test page caused Safari to crash -- what does that mean?

Yeah, I know -- left-liberal!

bobindashadows
Aug 29, 2003, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by IJ Reilly
The test page caused Safari to crash -- what does that mean?

Yeah, I know -- left-liberal!

It means your hard drive has torn a hole in itself, your RAM is fried, your mobo has cracks in it, and your processors ripped a hole in space-time and replaced itself with a 601.

It works fine on my Safari (v85)

IJ Reilly
Aug 29, 2003, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by bobindashadows
It means your hard drive has torn a hole in itself, your RAM is fried, your mobo has cracks in it, and your processors ripped a hole in space-time and replaced itself with a 601.

It works fine on my Safari (v85)

Thanks, that's exactly what I thought. Safari's been a bit squirrely for me lately. I tired trashing the plugin prefs as suggested but it still quits unexpectedly every so often. Never had this problem with the betas.

Anyway, FWIW, when I did get this quiz to work I thought it was pretty silly.

Durandal7
Sep 2, 2003, 01:17 AM
According to your answers, your political philosophy is centrist.

Centrists favor selective government intervention and emphasize practical solutions to current problems. They tend to keep an open mind on new issues. Many centrists feel that government serves as a check on excessive liberty.

Your Personal Self-Government Score is 70%.
Your Economic Self-Government Score is 60%.

Pretty much the same as every other political quiz I have taken. The Political Compass (http://www.politicalcompass.org) quiz sticks me right in the center of the grid as well.

buddha
Sep 2, 2003, 04:34 PM
Hrm, left-liberal
80%
40%

This gives me about as much a general idea about my politics as picking up the keg tells me how much I've drank. Indicates things, but not even close to nuanced enough to truly tell much.

bobindashadows
Sep 2, 2003, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by Durandal7
Pretty much the same as every other political quiz I have taken. The Political Compass (http://www.politicalcompass.org) quiz sticks me right in the center of the grid as well.
That has to be the most biased quiz I've ever seen! Jeez, look at it. I can respect the side of view, but trying to mask it as a quiz is disgusting...

It's a sad reflection on our society that something as basic as drinking water is now a bottled, branded consumer product.

Look at that and tell me it isn't a loaded question.

It turns out that I'm:
Economic Left/Right: 3.25
Libertarian/Authoritarian: 1.69
Which apparently puts be about between Gerhard Schröder (is that it) and Ariel Sharon.