PDA

View Full Version : iPod nano software version 1.0.2

eric55lv
Oct 5, 2007, 05:31 PM
just right now when i synced my ipod nano is said there is new software for my nano for fixing bugs any ways i just needed it because the album artwork looked like a picture of a static tv

garethh
Oct 5, 2007, 06:04 PM
It seems, happily, to have solved my problem with the syncing calendars and contacts. I am pleased.

MacSA
Oct 5, 2007, 07:46 PM
Album art in Cover Flow is better/fixed . If you scrolled too fast, it had a problem keeping up, artwork didn't load fast enough.

Slayerboym88
Oct 5, 2007, 09:04 PM
Since it doesnt look like's its been mentioned here before, thought I'd let y'all know! It's a 56.6MB update.

Does anyone know what all is included? Hopefully it updates the click wheel's firmware, mine is kind of undersensitive (or is that just mine?). Hopefully the menu's were reupdated to be even more seemless.

Edit: Apparent Nano's are updated, too, so my guess is that they are the same update. Feel free to merge, sorry!!

bradgsanford
Oct 5, 2007, 09:36 PM
I got it!

I haven't played around with it completely yet but the first, major fix is that compilation artists no longer appear in the artists field!

Also, compilation albums now appear at the very end of coverflow and coverflow itself seems to load the covers quicker.

Anyone else notice anything else yet?

SheepNutz
Oct 5, 2007, 11:32 PM
I just did the update, and I found coverflow to be smoother, and the menus to be much snappier.

recentgrad
Oct 6, 2007, 12:03 AM
another fix: when the ipod is plugged in, the screen turns off when it isn't actively in use (say, during charging)

Killyp
Oct 6, 2007, 01:33 AM
They've fixed cover flow and the sync screen thank god. It now seems to display Compilations correctly...

Nerolt
Oct 6, 2007, 01:50 AM
OMG YES! My coverflow is working how it's supposed to!!!!

Seanasaur
Oct 6, 2007, 02:03 AM
This update is the best thing to happen to my 80 GB classic since I put U2 on it.

Menu navigation is quicker, compilation album art is displayed only once in cover flow, and that ridiculous capital letter p seen when connected has been replaced by a clock. Also, the word "syncing" (which I'm not even sure is a real word) has been changed to "synchronizing."

Another thing I noticed is that Ms. Pac-Man now has a pretty little thumbnail picture next to its title, just like the games originally included with the iPod (iQuiz, Klondike, and Vortex). Previously all that was displayed was a blue dice graphic. The other two games I've purchased, however, (Tetris and Sudoku) simply have black squares next to their titles (anyone else notice this?).

hexonxonx
Oct 6, 2007, 04:11 AM
Another thing I noticed is that Ms. Pac-Man now has a pretty little thumbnail picture next to its title, just like the games originally included with the iPod (iQuiz, Klondike, and Vortex). Previously all that was displayed was a blue dice graphic. The other two games I've purchased, however, (Tetris and Sudoku) simply have black squares next to their titles (anyone else notice this?).

Yes, I purchased Ms. Pacman and Tetris myself tonight and added them to the iPod. Ms. Pacman shows a nice graphic but Tetris is a black box, sort of like there is just nothing there. The game still plays fine.

Lac
Oct 6, 2007, 05:24 AM
OMG YES! My coverflow is working how it's supposed to!!!!

Not entirely true. Take a look at the artist field when you browse over compilations. Instead of saying "various artists" as it should do, and does in iTunes, it just takes the artist from the first song on the compilation at displays that instead. File a feedback comment to apple.

Bern
Oct 6, 2007, 05:32 AM
Yay! Coverflow works as it should now except there's still an issue with compilations and multiple artwork, but I can live with that for now. All the menus are much snappier too.

The sound is definitely much brighter than before. It seemed kind of bass(y) before.

No 'P' in the menu bar when syncing now there's the clock and have you noticed when you eject it says "It is now safe to eject" much sooner than before?

Very happy with this update :D

mclihah2
Oct 6, 2007, 05:50 AM
Well looky look!!!

They have done the right thing.. You can now select video out without having to buy Apple's expensive cable.

You can change the video out to Off, Ask, On

Go to Videos -> Settings

Previously you needed to plug it into an Apple Universal Dock to get this to work.

Huh, and I spent 20 on a dock yesterday... I day too early. (It could have been worse, if the Apple store had the expensive 70 cable, I may have ended up buying that)

rorton
Oct 6, 2007, 05:54 AM
Not entirely true. Take a look at the artist field when you browse over compilations. Instead of saying "various artists" as it should do, and does in iTunes, it just takes the artist from the first song on the compilation at displays that instead. File a feedback comment to apple.

Agreed. while fine for Albums by a single artist, for compilation albums, the tag/field that needs to be displayed is the Album Artist field, not the Artist field.

Certainly an inprovement though over the last firmware version.

Also when in coverflow on a compilation, you can only see the track names and not the artist.

Again, while for a single artist album this would be fine, but for a compilation, you may be looking for a certain artist and not just a track name

mclihah2
Oct 6, 2007, 06:00 AM
Does the TV Out work on the Nano now?

I have applied the update on my classic and now have the option to select TV out (On, Off, Ask).

Previously, this option was locked to Off, unless the iPod was plugged into an official Apple Universal Dock.

mjeshrun
Oct 6, 2007, 07:05 AM
is the firmware enabling video through the headphone jack?

thank you.

Eraserhead
Oct 6, 2007, 07:05 AM
I just did the update, and I found coverflow to be smoother, and the menus to be much snappier.

Have they removed the pauses everywhere then?

mclihah2
Oct 6, 2007, 07:51 AM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2229/1496845936_928310f6c3.jpg?v=0

TV out with no fancy chipped wire?

SheepNutz
Oct 6, 2007, 07:55 AM
Have they removed the pauses everywhere then?

I didn't notice a single pause in the menus when I had music playing. If I scrolled really really fast in coverflow, I would finally get to a point where I'd have to wait a sec for the album art to load, but the actual scrolling through coverflow is smooth as a baby's bottom.

dmelgar
Oct 6, 2007, 07:58 AM
The TVOut option can now be set to On or Ask, but it still doesn't work with my non-Apple cable which was advertised to work with the Nano 3g. When you try to view video or photos, it says to plug in the video cable, which I already have.

Apparently the rumors about Apple locking it down are true. Sad if Apple is really doing this to milk more money for accessories rather than having a good technical reason.

:(

Eraserhead
Oct 6, 2007, 08:00 AM
I didn't notice a single pause in the menus when I had music playing. If I scrolled really really fast in coverflow, I would finally get to a point where I'd have to wait a sec for the album art to load, but the actual scrolling through coverflow is smooth as a baby's bottom.

Good to know. Maybe I didn't need to have got the touch after all :p.

Tom B.
Oct 6, 2007, 08:56 AM
Cover Flow is a little bit faster, but is far from fixed. When will it show Album Artist rather that Artist? Also, every time I sync my nano, it resets the main menu, why?

rockstarjoe
Oct 6, 2007, 09:25 AM
This sounds like a great update! I'm running it now...

Edit: Up and running now and it really does fix a heck of a lot of issues. Nice work apple!

ASTRX
Oct 6, 2007, 10:13 AM
Awesome update!

both menu navigation and cover flow feels much snappier. no lag att all.
can anyone confirm that tv-out has been enabled without the need for a universal dock? that would bee sooo great :)

SactoGuy18
Oct 6, 2007, 10:54 AM
I think Apple may tweak the firmware on the 3G nano further within the next 30 days to improve Cover Flow response. I expect a 1.0.3 firmware upgrade probably by the end of October 2007, if only to ensure full MacOS X 10.5 compatibility.

JCC
Oct 6, 2007, 10:57 AM
[I have an iPod classic. I assume, though, that it's the same software.]
It now displays artwork associated with chapters of enhance podcasts now. [i.e., pressing the center button now shows you the artwork.]

Oct 6, 2007, 11:52 AM
Contacts are not fixed yet. It's still mixing up work and home data and not displaying contact photos for me.

sam10685
Oct 6, 2007, 12:58 PM
Now I really want one of these... I have a 200 dollar gift card in my room still that I got last Christmas. I can probably find 50 more bucks somewhere. (Black or silver thought. That is the question. I'm thinking black.)

James.Paul
Oct 6, 2007, 01:20 PM
Has anyone tried connecting the iPod camera connector to an updated classic? just wonder if the update lets them work together. Can't buy a classic until I know it will connect to my camera.

thanks

robertnq
Oct 6, 2007, 01:24 PM
Album Art still won't sync correctly...:mad:

rockthecasbah
Oct 6, 2007, 01:29 PM
Great update! The menus are unbelievably fast, quite a difference from the launch software that's for sure! Classic's amazing now, even Coverflow is good (though artwork is still slow to pop up sometimes, a hardware limitation not software one :o)

phillipjfry
Oct 6, 2007, 01:51 PM
So did this fix the sensitivity of the wheel on the classic? That was the only thing keeping me from buying it in the first place. Unless all the display models at the :apple:store took such a beating that they have become harder than expected just to scroll through the menus. :)

Palestrina
Oct 6, 2007, 01:52 PM
So does this finally fix the missing video out that classics were lacking from the last iPod generation?

markrich
Oct 6, 2007, 01:58 PM
I have noticed with my 80GB classic one improvement and that isn't on the iPod but in iTunes. Previously while deleting an iTunes track while it was importing another the performance was very very slow. Now it seems back to normal speed. Did the presence of the iPod cause this? I guess it must have.

On the down side; three localisation problems still persist;

a) After setting the time to show in normal 24 hour format the screensaver still shows the time in the 12 hour one.

b) the date is still shown in the American format (m/d/y) even when the timezone is selected as UK.

c) the calendar is still showing the first day of the week as Sunday and not the ISO standard of Monday used in the rest of the world and not in accordance with the timezone selected.

Those are easy things to fix so please Apple sort it out in the next version! How hard can it be to add a few IF THEN statements to the code?

Marky

markrich
Oct 6, 2007, 02:02 PM
So did this fix the sensitivity of the wheel on the classic? That was the only thing keeping me from buying it in the first place. Unless all the display models at the :apple:store took such a beating that they have become harder than expected just to scroll through the menus. :)

I was concerned about this too when playing with the demo model in the shop. Much slower than my old 30GB 3G model.

However I think the mechanism just needs to wear in. The scolling speeds seem fine now and although never as fast as my old 3G model they are faster than when I first bought my 80GB Classic.

Marky

Stridder44
Oct 6, 2007, 02:04 PM
Safari feels snappier.

My front lawn looks greener. Food tastes better.

saxondale.
Oct 6, 2007, 02:07 PM
Wow, my 80GB Classic is so much more snappier now. That was my biggest complaint, even since the 1.0.1 update, the menus were very slow.

nemaslov
Oct 6, 2007, 02:10 PM
Great update! The menus are unbelievably fast, quite a difference from the launch software that's for sure! Classic's amazing now, even Coverflow is good (though artwork is still slow to pop up sometimes, a hardware limitation not software one :o)

But don't you think that it also takes time for covers to load in on your computer iTunes? I have a Intel Mac with about 105GB of music and when you flip quickly through coverflow, it does take time for album art to load in as you go. And that's on a powerful Mac so I can't imagine any iPod with tons of music loaded to really be ably to keep up with cover art loaded immediately. There will always be a slight lag when someone has a very large library. Am I wrong here?

narco
Oct 6, 2007, 02:12 PM
What about games, dude

Nicky G
Oct 6, 2007, 02:12 PM

IMHO, the click wheel is WAY better now, and doesn't lag and such when scrolling. Perfect. My Classic 80GB that I was 90% happy with is now "perfect." Brilliant.

kajitox
Oct 6, 2007, 02:21 PM
Everything is obscenely faster and coverflow does work better than before, but they still haven't fixed the retardedly small desktop icon on a mac.

hayesk
Oct 6, 2007, 02:21 PM
Apparently the rumors about Apple locking it down are true. Sad if Apple is really doing this to milk more money for accessories rather than having a good technical reason.

Here's a good technical reason:

I don't know this for a fact but this makes more sense to me: iPods are getting smaller but with more capacity. Apple removed the video encoding chip from the iPod and placed it in the cable to cut costs, and reduce the size of the iPod. This chip is not a DRM chip or anything like that - it's just a video decoder and D/A converter.

The new iPods now send the digital stream to the cable with the chip in it. The chip in the cable decodes the bits into the composite, s-video, component, etc. signal - depending on what cable you are using.

No conspiracy theory there folks. Think about it - Apple has a lot of accessory makers that pa them royalties now - they didn't change this just to tick them off. They did it to keep the iPod competitively designed and priced.

TC Schiller
Oct 6, 2007, 02:22 PM
Everything is obscenely faster and coverflow does work better than before, but they still haven't fixed the retardedly small desktop icon on a mac.

What on earth are you talking about??

Virgil-TB2
Oct 6, 2007, 02:28 PM

thank you.I am still downloading my update, but I am fairly certain that this is a hardware issue and not firmware or software.

All iPods and iPhones do video-out through the dock connector only but they can all use the same cable and/or dock to do it now.

The days of using the headphone jack for this are over for good.

Virgil-TB2
Oct 6, 2007, 02:32 PM
What on earth are you talking about??I think he is talking about the desktop icon being ... you know, small.

It never bothered me much (at least not enough to use the "retarded" modifier), but it's pretty clear what he is talking about.

MrCrowbar
Oct 6, 2007, 02:32 PM
What on earth are you talking about??

When you connect the new nano to your Mac, it appers tiny on the desktop icon. That's probably to represent its size, i.e. if you have a classic, nano and a touch connected at the same time, the proportions are right.

phillipjfry
Oct 6, 2007, 02:34 PM
IMHO, the click wheel is WAY better now, and doesn't lag and such when scrolling. Perfect. My Classic 80GB that I was 90% happy with is now "perfect." Brilliant.

Hopefully my Apple store updates the classic iPods and I'll give them a whirl. If they seem to respond better or I just give it a chance, I might snag one.
I didn't know if the sluggish wheel was cause of hardware chances, or buggy software.

nemaslov
Oct 6, 2007, 02:35 PM
When you connect the new nano to your Mac, it appers tiny on the desktop icon. That's probably to represent its size, i.e. if you have a classic, nano and a touch connected at the same time, the proportions are right.

Yes it seems to reflect the pod and color. Mine shows up large and silver. I've seen several and they seem be show your exact pod.

Mr. Zarniwoop
Oct 6, 2007, 02:42 PM
You can now select video out without having to buy Apple's expensive cable.

You can change the video out to Off, Ask, On

Go to Videos -> Settings

Previously you needed to plug it into an Apple Universal Dock to get this to work.
While you can now get to the setting, it's still locked out. When I try to play video in my Denon ASD-1R dock, the iPod shows a picture of a dock connector cable with the words "TV Out Enabled" and "Please Connect Video Accessory" on the screen.

shadowmoses
Oct 6, 2007, 02:43 PM
Very nice update coverflow runs superbly and menu's are snappy. Hopefully it will solve the random crashes my Nano was having during video playback...

ShadoW

macmike47
Oct 6, 2007, 02:44 PM
Great update! The menus are unbelievably fast, quite a difference from the launch software that's for sure! Classic's amazing now, even Coverflow is good

About time too! ;) :D

Virgil-TB2
Oct 6, 2007, 02:48 PM
On the down side; three localisation problems still persist;

a) After setting the time to show in normal 24 hour format the screensaver still shows the time in the 12 hour one.

b) the date is still shown in the American format (m/d/y) even when the timezone is selected as UK.

c) the calendar is still showing the first day of the week as Sunday and not the ISO standard of Monday used in the rest of the world and not in accordance with the timezone selected.
... I noticed this also, even though I only have a nano.
Sadly, Americans are particularly bad at even *knowing* that there are international standards, let alone following them.

I think this is mostly interesting from the standpoint of what OS the iPods are running however.

The implication has always been that the new generation of iPods, run OS-X like the iPhone, (even though Apple has very carefully remained mum on this point). This kind of thing however, very strongly indicates that they are really just running some hacked version of the old OS that only looks similar to what's on the iPhone.

If the localisation part of OS-X was installed, this stuff certainly would not be happening. Also, the problem with cover-flow is likely related to trying to make something that is easy to do with Core Animation, work on an OS that has none of the same underpinnings.

mihiruthere93
Oct 6, 2007, 02:49 PM

amen, brother.

Virgil-TB2
Oct 6, 2007, 02:53 PM
But don't you think that it also takes time for covers to load in on your computer iTunes? I have a Intel Mac with about 105GB of music and when you flip quickly through coverflow, it does take time for album art to load in as you go. And that's on a powerful Mac so I can't imagine any iPod with tons of music loaded to really be ably to keep up with cover art loaded immediately. There will always be a slight lag when someone has a very large library. Am I wrong here?I think you are both talking about the same thing. It's about the I/O speed of the hardrive and the limitations therein in both cases.

The problem with coverflow on the nano and the flash-based players is something else entirely as there is realistically no reason for the speed of the data read to affect things being nearly instantaneous in comparison and only having a max of 8Gigs of files t look at.

The smaller, flash-based iPods problem with coverflow is (was?) strictly a software problem to do with cacheing.

Virgil-TB2
Oct 6, 2007, 03:07 PM
Here's a good technical reason: ... Apple removed the video encoding chip from the iPod and placed it in the cable to cut costs, and reduce the size of the iPod. This chip is not a DRM chip or anything like that ...Sorry, but this idea that there is a "secret chip" in the cable that stops you from using non-Apple cables is just a myth.

Not true, never has been, AFAIK.

The original poster probably just bought a cheap "Made in China" product that lied on it's packaging about being compatible. This is very common.

Think about it, ... if video out is only now being properly supported, and the nano is only out for a month anyway, how likely is it that a manufacturer could have made a compatible cable that this fellow already bought?

Also, the only cable that did work previous to this, was the one Apple makes and sells, so why didn't this guy buy one of those when he bought his iPod? Probably because he already had the other one, indicating that he probably bought it before the nano was even out.

Finally, Apple certainly did not tell any of it's accessory makers that it was changing the way video was streamed out of their devices, (they didn't even tell the pouch makers about the new form factors.) So how did this manufacturer find out the pin-outs and such, months before the nano was even revealed for the first time?

macmike47
Oct 6, 2007, 03:08 PM
Big step forward. Kudos, Steve ;)

Ade-iMac-177
Oct 6, 2007, 04:09 PM
this update is ok but no where near great.
i still have many problems:

coverflow still organises by artist and not album which i find annoying but even if you accept this it orginises then using the 'artist' rather than the 'album artist' so certian albums still appear multiple times because they have many artists but are not compilations. plus when you have hundreds of albums it is still slow as hell. :mad:

on TV shows, it still sometimes orders them by name rather than episodeID, this must be a bug because they seem to change between name and ID randomly :confused:

Movies sometimes list backwards but are still in normal order so clicking on something will result in a different moie being played. :eek:

sometimes, on videos when it gets to the end it just stops and doesn't return to the menu. so next time you watch it just flashes and goes back to the menu meaning you have to select it again. :(

:( - come on apple, i paid nearly 250 for this and it's breaking my heart

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
160Gb iPod Classic

sblasl
Oct 6, 2007, 04:18 PM
"The update also adds a third "Ask" option to the TV output category that lets users selectively turn on TV mode when attached to an authorized video-capable peripheral."

The TVOut option can now be set to On or Ask, but it still doesn't work with my non-Apple cable which was advertised to work with the Nano 3g. When you try to view video or photos, it says to plug in the video cable, which I already have.

I have applied the update on my classic and now have the option to select TV out (On, Off, Ask).

Previously, this option was locked to Off, unless the iPod was plugged into an official Apple Universal Dock.

So does this finally fix the missing video out that classics were lacking from the last iPod generation?

acslater017
Oct 6, 2007, 04:25 PM
two negatives, huh?

bilbo--baggins
Oct 6, 2007, 04:34 PM
I am still downloading my update, but I am fairly certain that this is a hardware issue and not firmware or software.

All iPods and iPhones do video-out through the dock connector only but they can all use the same cable and/or dock to do it now.

The days of using the headphone jack for this are over for good.

I'm assuming this update is referring to video out through the headphone socket. I have the Apple AV connection cable which worked via the headphone socket on my 5G. I haven't yet updated my classic, but I'll try the cable again when I have.

lamina
Oct 6, 2007, 05:09 PM
I'm assuming this update is referring to video out through the headphone socket. I have the Apple AV connection cable which worked via the headphone socket on my 5G. I haven't yet updated my classic, but I'll try the cable again when I have.

Please post your results ASAP.

Anyone else please do the same. I will try to dig mine up once my classic is updated. This thing couldn't download any faster.

lamina
Oct 6, 2007, 05:37 PM
When playing a video with TV Out set to On, the iPod shows a DOCK CONNECTOR that says 'Please connect video accessory'.

Anyone try their old iPod a/v cables yet?

Durendal
Oct 6, 2007, 05:52 PM
This will not let you use old headphone jack cables. I just tried on a new Nano. It requires a dock connector.

hqsbud
Oct 6, 2007, 06:40 PM
I can second Durendal's results. I set up my 5G iPod to my TV with a camcorder cable to my TV with the Right and Video connectors swapped and got good video and audio. Swapped out the 5G with a 3G nano with Ask configured on the TV Out settings, and all I got was the warning that I had to connect it to a dock connector, and the only option was to return to the previous menu.

dmelgar
Oct 6, 2007, 06:44 PM
Sorry, but this idea that there is a "secret chip" in the cable that stops you from using non-Apple cables is just a myth.

Not true, never has been, AFAIK.

The original poster probably just bought a cheap "Made in China" product that lied on it's packaging about being compatible. This is very common.

Think about it, ... if video out is only now being properly supported, and the nano is only out for a month anyway, how likely is it that a manufacturer could have made a compatible cable that this fellow already bought?

Also, the only cable that did work previous to this, was the one Apple makes and sells, so why didn't this guy buy one of those when he bought his iPod? Probably because he already had the other one, indicating that he probably bought it before the nano was even out.

Finally, Apple certainly did not tell any of it's accessory makers that it was changing the way video was streamed out of their devices, (they didn't even tell the pouch makers about the new form factors.) So how did this manufacturer find out the pin-outs and such, months before the nano was even revealed for the first time?
Why buy a non-Apple cable? Are you serious? $50 for a simple cable? Thats ridiculously expensive, especially for a $150 iPod Nano.

Why would Apple change the pinout for video on the ipod connector from the previous ipod video if there wasn't some scheme to extort more money and lock the interface... in the same way that they've locked out apps from the iPhone. Apple seems to want to keep the money for themselves. $50 for a cable in simply insane.

On the other hand, the previous poster talking about a decoder chip being in the cable doesn't make sense. The iPod obviously decodes video, that how you can view it on the Nano. Its hard to imagine what complex function the cable could have to implement.

Darkroom
Oct 6, 2007, 07:21 PM
Big step forward. Kudos, Steve ;)

steve jobs is wonderful... but you should be thanking the ipod dev teams instead...

Stike
Oct 6, 2007, 07:27 PM
Forget it, folks. Still no-go on the camera connector front.

Still unsupported :(

Everything else is YAY, but ... still bugs me to have spent 30 bucks on something I supposed it would work!

james.dylan
Oct 6, 2007, 07:41 PM
OMG, YES! YES! YES! My coverflow is working how it's supposed to!!!!

What are you doing, having sex while you update your iPod? Gee, people, calm down. No need for sacriligious profanity.:confused:

Rocketman
Oct 6, 2007, 07:44 PM

This thread has a lot of very helpful comments. I bet the iPod group is reading it.

Since Apple relies on a strong iPod ecosystem, hence the iPhone pre-announcement, it seems like video incompatibilities are more likely ralated to plug changes, chip changes and OS changes. OSX still is lacking many features of OS9, so let Apple know what old features you miss on new iPod OS builds.

Rocketman

I now note message #43

rockthecasbah
Oct 6, 2007, 09:28 PM
But don't you think that it also takes time for covers to load in on your computer iTunes? I have a Intel Mac with about 105GB of music and when you flip quickly through coverflow, it does take time for album art to load in as you go. And that's on a powerful Mac so I can't imagine any iPod with tons of music loaded to really be ably to keep up with cover art loaded immediately. There will always be a slight lag when someone has a very large library. Am I wrong here?

I wasn't being critical of the iPods, I was just merely saying that coverflow isn't that enjoyable to use... It isn't nice to use on my computer either!

nemaslov
Oct 6, 2007, 10:50 PM
I wasn't being critical of the iPods, I was just merely saying that coverflow isn't that enjoyable to use... It isn't nice to use on my computer either!

actually i do agree. coverflow is useless but look nice for "now playing" on your mac. Just essy to scroll names pm your ipod.

bottleddissent
Oct 7, 2007, 12:10 AM
Hmmm, that sounds good enough that maybe I'll buy one. It was really keeping me from liking them. Now just to scrounge up the money...

fpnc
Oct 7, 2007, 12:53 AM
A lot of these video theories (conspiracy and otherwise -- decode chip in cable, etc.) can be put to rest by noting that video output works on the 3rd-generation nano (that's the new one) using the s-video port on Apple's iPod Universal dock. In this case, all you need is Apple's existing iPod Universal dock and any generic s-video cable. I think I purchased my iPod Universal dock six to nine months ago and it works just fine for connecting my new iPod nano to my TV.

However, people who have the Apple AV cable that connected through the headphone jack can forget about it working with the new iPods. Video is now available only through the dock connector so you will either need the iPod Universal dock for s-video output, or one of the new AV cables from Apple that attach directly to the dock connector on the iPod.

madmaxmedia
Oct 7, 2007, 02:16 AM
Does anyone have one of those external screens with iPod docks? The Classic broke compatibility with these units, I am just wondering if maybe the update fixed it (doubt it though...)

EDIT- iLounge found some interesting results-
http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/news/comments/ipod-nano-classic-102-updates-change-video-cover-flow/11611

retroneo
Oct 7, 2007, 03:06 AM
The implication has always been that the new generation of iPods, run OS-X like the iPhone, (even though Apple has very carefully remained mum on this point). This kind of thing however, very strongly indicates that they are really just running some hacked version of...

Well, the Apple TV definitely runs OS X and unfortunately still doesn't localise it's dates...

kasei
Oct 7, 2007, 03:15 AM
Ok. Contacts was working with the previous version but now calendar and contacts will not sync. What's up Apple... You guys have been dropping the ball lately.

AdeFowler
Oct 7, 2007, 05:06 AM
steve jobs is wonderful... but you should be thanking the ipod dev teams instead...
If the iPod Development Team were that good, we wouldn't already be on our second update and still have issues :rolleyes:

fabianjj
Oct 7, 2007, 05:42 AM
Wouldn't it be much cheaper to produce a standard 3,5 mm headphone jack than producing one capable of transferring video? Since the dock connector needs to output video anyways, and people in general doesn't care which port is used when the ipods outputting video by the tv(excdept for al of us who needs to buy new cables). Then requiring people to buy Apple's own cables to get it to work.

I don't think any other explaination than the financial one makes any sense at all.

mac 2005
Oct 7, 2007, 06:42 AM
I'm not seeing much of a difference with this update. In fact, iTunes still says "Syncing" while it is "synchronizing" my iPod Classic with my MacBook.

fewture
Oct 7, 2007, 06:44 AM
Can someone confirm that after 1.02:

1. sound is brighter
2. sound is less bassy

Also, whats the odds that there will be cheap ipod video docks from China/Hk on ebay soon? So we don't have to worry about $50 Apple cables?

bilbo--baggins
Oct 7, 2007, 08:11 AM
However, people who have the Apple AV cable that connected through the headphone jack can forget about it working with the new iPods. Video is now available only through the dock connector so you will either need the iPod Universal dock for s-video output, or one of the new AV cables from Apple that attach directly to the dock connector on the iPod.

I too can confirm that the Apple AV cable (connected to the headphone jack) does not work with the iPod Classic even with this update.

Shame, but I suppose at least it's for the sake of progress - ie. the new cables offer a choice of component video or composite video output, whereas the old cable was only composite.

I also worry about things tugging on the headphone jack damaging the socket - the new dock cables are obviously much more secure in that respect.

MalcolmJID
Oct 7, 2007, 08:37 AM
Just updated. Menus seem much snappier, but yet to try out the new sound.:D

dmelgar
Oct 7, 2007, 09:08 AM
I too can confirm that the Apple AV cable (connected to the headphone jack) does not work with the iPod Classic even with this update.

Shame, but I suppose at least it's for the sake of progress - ie. the new cables offer a choice of component video or composite video output, whereas the old cable was only composite.

I also worry about things tugging on the headphone jack damaging the socket - the new dock cables are obviously much more secure in that respect.

To clarify, the AV cable which I have connects to the iPod connector on the Nano, not the headphone jack. I would have thought that would work as did the manufacturer. But it does not, even after the update.

Hattig
Oct 7, 2007, 10:04 AM
I haven't played around with it completely yet but the first, major fix is that compilation artists no longer appear in the artists field!

Darn, that's something I hate about my Nano 1G, that when I browse my music *collection* by artist, I only get non-compilation artists. Is there a view that is ordered by Artist, Both Albums and Compilations?

MrCrowbar
Oct 7, 2007, 10:12 AM
Darn, that's something I hate about my Nano 1G, that when I browse my music *collection* by artist, I only get non-compilation artists. Is there a view that is ordered by Artist, Both Albums and Compilations?

I noticed iTunes seems to be bug ridden when you use compilations. I got a few compilations, and each one is split up into multiple albums with random numbers of tracks. and yes, I tried all kinds of sortings and checked tha "compilation" box.

As a side note, here's a nice shot of CSI miami, episode 2 of season 6. Obviously, someone does not know how to hold an iPhone. :)
http://img514.imageshack.us/img514/5476/picture2zg2.png

thejadedmonkey
Oct 7, 2007, 10:56 AM
This thread has a lot of very helpful comments. I bet the iPod group is reading it.

Since Apple relies on a strong iPod ecosystem, hence the iPhone pre-announcement, it seems like video incompatibilities are more likely ralated to plug changes, chip changes and OS changes. OSX still is lacking many features of OS9, so let Apple know what old features you miss on new iPod OS builds.

Rocketman

I now note message #43

I'm glad to hear Apple is still working on improving the firmware... I might just have to get one now!

Durendal
Oct 7, 2007, 11:43 AM
A lot of these video theories (conspiracy and otherwise -- decode chip in cable, etc.) can be put to rest by noting that video output works on the 3rd-generation nano (that's the new one) using the s-video port on Apple's iPod Universal dock. In this case, all you need is Apple's existing iPod Universal dock and any generic s-video cable. I think I purchased my iPod Universal dock six to nine months ago and it works just fine for connecting my new iPod nano to my TV.

It will work on the universal dock that has the infrared remote port on the front. It will NOT work with the older ones that do not have this port. Apple may well have anticipated their little chipping of cables and included one in the dock, or programmed and exception into the firmware.

madmaxmedia
Oct 7, 2007, 12:17 PM
It will work on the universal dock that has the infrared remote port on the front. It will NOT work with the older ones that do not have this port. Apple may well have anticipated their little chipping of cables and included one in the dock, or programmed and exception into the firmware.

There definitely seems to be some funny business going on.

If you read iLounge.com's story about the new update, they can get the Classic to display video on some of the external portable screen units, but only after first starting video out playback on the 'approved' Apple dock.

So that means video playback definitely can work on other dock devices, but only with this weird workaround that seems to trick the Classic into believing it's playing back through a 'proper' device.

Hane
Oct 7, 2007, 01:57 PM
i still have the lame problem of my album artwork randomly being black. wtf

ScubaDuc
Oct 7, 2007, 01:59 PM
Thank you, (you all..:p ) , for clarifying the video cable issue... I was loking for docks and I almost bought the kensington one... ;) It always pays to read MacRumors....:D

I just bought my first iPod classic while in Chicago last week so I might have not been able to note all the improvement you guys mentioned in the updates except for the cover flow which does work smoother and compilations appearing together

My biggest gripe however is with iPhoto sync. :mad:

Perhaps I have not found the right approach and maybe I should make a new thread but in short I have three albums... when I import them in the iPod, they get "lumped'... :eek:

Does anyone have the same issue and maybe found a workaround? :confused:

milo
Oct 7, 2007, 02:29 PM

That's a hardware change, the new versions output video through the dock connector. The headphone jack thing is never coming back with these models. This has been known since the day these shipped, apple even has a compatibility support document that lists which cables and docks work with which ipods.

What are you trying to use to output video?

It was never lacking, it just moved from the headphone port to the dock. There are some issues with older third party devices not getting video through the dock with the newer ipods (the old ones worked), I don't know if apple will resolve that or not, hopefully they will. They are working with third parties on compatibility with these.

And the new cable isn't $50. It comes in a package that is $49, but that includes an AC charger as well. They definitely should sell the two separately, which would make the price the same as before, $19, but it's not like it's 50 for just a cable.

zwida
Oct 7, 2007, 03:28 PM
If the iPod Development Team were that good, we wouldn't already be on our second update and still have issues :rolleyes:

Can releasing hardware before it's ready really be blamed on the dev team?

audioinside
Oct 7, 2007, 04:12 PM
One of the material reasons I jettisoned my iPod Photo, which worked great for backing up my DSLR images in the field, was that I was running low on storage capacity with only 60GB. 80GB seemed like a good bump and so I jumped on the Classic since the Apple Store's page advertising the Camera Connector initially showed Classic compatibility. (I'm not sure when they woke up to the incompatibility, but the page has now been corrected.)

I've heard rumors about bringing this feature back in Classic firmware updates, but 1.0.2 ain't it.

Anybody using Classic with flash card readers? If that works it would seem like my only Plan B at this point...

tgildred
Oct 7, 2007, 04:38 PM
My front lawn looks greener. Food tastes better.

My fungal infection has all but cleared up.

Phil A.
Oct 7, 2007, 06:19 PM
Here's a good technical reason:

I don't know this for a fact but this makes more sense to me: iPods are getting smaller but with more capacity. Apple removed the video encoding chip from the iPod and placed it in the cable to cut costs, and reduce the size of the iPod. This chip is not a DRM chip or anything like that - it's just a video decoder and D/A converter.

The new iPods now send the digital stream to the cable with the chip in it. The chip in the cable decodes the bits into the composite, s-video, component, etc. signal - depending on what cable you are using.

No conspiracy theory there folks. Think about it - Apple has a lot of accessory makers that pa them royalties now - they didn't change this just to tick them off. They did it to keep the iPod competitively designed and priced.

Nice theory but completely wrong, I'm afraid. If you turn on the video out in an "official" apple dock then move the iPod to an unofficial one without stopping the playback it will play the video out through the unofficial accessory.

aaronh3
Oct 7, 2007, 07:59 PM
Thankyou apple!

ezekielrage_99
Oct 7, 2007, 08:20 PM
I think Apple may tweak the firmware on the 3G nano further within the next 30 days to improve Cover Flow response. I expect a 1.0.3 firmware upgrade probably by the end of October 2007, if only to ensure full MacOS X 10.5 compatibility.

That's a good call, I think they will tweak the firmware a little more during the next few months.

There have been plenty of complaints about the performance of the new iPods and with Xmas just around the corner IMHO Apple will lift it's iPod game.

defalkner
Oct 7, 2007, 11:08 PM
The update is fantastic but ever since I put it on my ipod last night I had to do a full restore because itunes would not work, and now a new problem. My ipod discharges the battery every 12 or so hours when not in use. I charged it up before work today and came home - DEAD-. This morning before I went to work it was dead when I charged it up the night before. So now the battery completely discharges when off. HMMM anyone else have this issue?

Before I could let the ipod sit for 4-5 days on a full charge and have no worries that it would stay that way. This is weird man! :confused:

ezekielrage_99
Oct 8, 2007, 12:30 AM
The update is fantastic but ever since I put it on my ipod last night I had to do a full restore because itunes would not work, and now a new problem. My ipod discharges the battery every 12 or so hours when not in use. I charged it up before work today and came home - DEAD-. This morning before I went to work it was dead when I charged it up the night before. So now the battery completely discharges when off. HMMM anyone else have this issue?

Before I could let the ipod sit for 4-5 days on a full charge and have no worries that it would stay that way. This is weird man! :confused:

My G2 iPod Nano does the same thing, if I leave it for more than 5 days it's a dead as a doorknob.

JDOG_
Oct 8, 2007, 12:53 AM
Wow, quite the handy update. The menus actually feel like they move when I scroll around, unlike the delay-fest that was 1.0.1. As for coverflow, it looks like it's a little better, but honestly I never use it anyways, so meh.

Bring on the camera connector support plz, k thx.

CaptainHaddock
Oct 8, 2007, 03:14 AM
[Regarding localization issues]

The implication has always been that the new generation of iPods, run OS-X like the iPhone, (even though Apple has very carefully remained mum on this point). This kind of thing however, very strongly indicates that they are really just running some hacked version of the old OS that only looks similar to what's on the iPhone.

While you could be right, I don't think that's a good enough indicator. Numbers, part of the new iWork suite, constantly screws up date and time formats. If I type September 4 into a cell, it turns it into 9/4/2007, and then re-formats it as May 9. Bizarre.

jorasho
Oct 8, 2007, 03:18 AM
This thing is ridiculous. First it takes half an hour for my iPod to sync, then it wants to update, but the iPod is already trying to disconnect and freezes. On reset, it connects, the Mac wants to update, first for 10 minutes is 'waiting for iPod' and then after another 10 minutes of 'updating iPod' just quits with an error, again leaving the iPod frozen.

markrich
Oct 8, 2007, 03:24 AM
While you could be right, I don't think that's a good enough indicator. Numbers, part of the new iWork suite, constantly screws up date and time formats. If I type September 4 into a cell, it turns it into 9/4/2007, and then re-formats it as May 9. Bizarre.

Apple Mail does not check the system preferences for the time/date selection of OSX either. It insists that Sunday is the first day of the week regardless. Come on Apple. It's not hard!

IF country =, then DATE DISPLAY =

A first year programmer could do it.

As for the update, the biggest change I have noticed is the font in Coverflow has changed to a larger one. Perhaps because I think it's a useless "eye-candy" feature for my iPod I haven't used it and not worried about it.

After installing the update I found some issues with ejecting and the iPod remained on while connected with the cable. A restart of my iMac sorted that it is behaves properly.

Syncing Calendar/Contacts still results in a processor spike in the iMac causing the beachball to appear for a while. I noticed the iSync symbol on my menu-bar starts moving when this happens so the question is, does the sync check for changes from iSync or only take from iCal/Contacts the data it needs? It certainly causes a delay from iTunes at this point and noticably more than my old 3G 30GB did. Anyway, turned it off now. I have the same data on my Palm and mobile phone so having it on the iPod too is not that important for me.

With all this talk of cables and docks etc. I do have a question for others. I wish to buy a official Apple dock and cable to connect to the stereo. I noticed a pack with cable, remote and dock from Apple but does this work with the 80GB classic or do I need to buy the dock+remote package and a seperate cable? Video not interested in as I have no TV!

mclihah2
Oct 8, 2007, 05:57 AM

Wow!!!, I'm finding the same thing on my iPod classic.

I plugged it into my universal dock last night to watch the Office, and the battery was down to nearly zero... I had not even used the thing!

I charged it up last night, and this morning it's already on 50%, after a couple of hours of MP3 playing.

Definitely to do with the update..

I predict that it won't be long before we get 1.0.3

zac4mac
Oct 8, 2007, 06:19 AM
hmmmm. Mine hooked up, found the new software, loaded and reset with no trouble. Glad I was playing solitaire on another Mac while the iPod updated, 'cause it was quite slow, then I saw it was a 58MB update.

160GB Classic up and running smoothly, unlike its initial behavior. From day one it felt like it was lubed with grease instead of light machine oil. I'll see in a day or two how the battery holds up. It died on me this weekend after only 4 or 5 hours playing music, which I thought odd. I usually have it plugged into a dock, will have to let it run on battery power alone today at work.

so far - thumbs up

Z

mihiruthere93
Oct 8, 2007, 09:22 AM
I'm actually impressed that Apple took care of these issues this fast :D

...or should I be disappointed that it took this long? :confused:

topher
Oct 8, 2007, 09:27 AM
Hi all,

Has anyone noticed the screensaver is gone? You know, the dark screen, with big clock and play indicator? I haven't seen it since the update. But I've only used my ipod in its dock since the update...so maybe the screen saver has been changed to only work when ipod is working on battery.

Second? Has anyone else seen shut down problems? I can't be certain, because the night that this happened, I can't be 100% certain I actually hit pause. But, the night of the update, I thought I paused the ipod. But I woke up the next morning with no battery, as if it had been running overnight.

So, just generally, anyone with new battery issues after the update?

Thanks

markrich
Oct 8, 2007, 10:35 AM
Has anyone noticed the screensaver is gone? You know, the dark screen, with big clock and play indicator?

No, it's still there because the update did not address one of the issues I mentioned earlier in the thread; i.e., if you change the clock to 24 hour format, the screensaver still shows it in a 12 hour one.

mclihah2
Oct 8, 2007, 10:36 AM
Hi all,

Thanks

Yours is the third report on this forum regarding poor battery.

I'm also experiencing this, and I can only imagine it's happening all over the place.

markrich
Oct 8, 2007, 10:38 AM
I plugged it into my universal dock last night to watch the Office, and the battery was down to nearly zero... I had not even used the thing!

I charged it up last night, and this morning it's already on 50%, after a couple of hours of MP3 playing.

Definitely to do with the update..

I predict that it won't be long before we get 1.0.3

It could be that the update reset your battery memory limit. Best to follow Apple's advice on all rechargable batteries and let it run down completely and then do a fresh recharge until full. I haven't noticed yet but rarely use for more than 30 minutes at a time so we shall see.

jhsfosho
Oct 8, 2007, 11:58 AM
Well, I suppose that faster and more improved don't hurt anything. Too bad they don't focus more on fixing the "bugs" on the ipod touch.

writeous
Oct 8, 2007, 02:44 PM
It definitely sped the menu up (whats up with the termonology "snappier" on here? lmao). It still has a little lag though. Usually when you hear the hard drive spinning, that means there will be a delay in the responsiveness. I think they should make the side artwork optional, cause that would make everything significantly faster.

rockthecasbah
Oct 8, 2007, 03:51 PM
Hi all,

Has anyone noticed the screensaver is gone? You know, the dark screen, with big clock and play indicator? I haven't seen it since the update. But I've only used my ipod in its dock since the update...so maybe the screen saver has been changed to only work when ipod is working on battery.

Second? Has anyone else seen shut down problems? I can't be certain, because the night that this happened, I can't be 100% certain I actually hit pause. But, the night of the update, I thought I paused the ipod. But I woke up the next morning with no battery, as if it had been running overnight.

Thanks

My screensaver type thing is still working but my iPod has acted funny with the battery exactly as you mentioned. I don't what's up with it, i posted a thread about it here:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=366045

Yours is the third report on this forum regarding poor battery.

I'm also experiencing this, and I can only imagine it's happening all over the place.

Well since it has only since arisen with the new update, maybe a new update can fix it? One may only hope, i really do not feel like taking my iPod to an Apple store... :o

markrich
Oct 9, 2007, 12:00 PM
Well since it has only since arisen with the new update, maybe a new update can fix it? One may only hope, i really do not feel like taking my iPod to an Apple store... :o

I have been using my iPod all day today on a single charge and the battery metre still reads full. I cannot see any issues with the battery since the update on mine. Presently connected to my HiFi and listening to some music on battery power after headphones all day.

I don't doubt some iPod owners feel that there may be battery issues but I am doubtful the update was the cause based on personal evidence alone.

johnmcboston
Oct 9, 2007, 12:46 PM
would be nice if it didn't wipe out my 'custom menu' settings every time an ipod update came around...

Sephora
Oct 10, 2007, 11:43 AM
Coverflow on my 3G nano seems to get slower with each subsequent update.

Now I can actually follow the loading process of albums along for a few seconds, until it finally loads up the remainder.

As an aside, would I notice a speed difference in loading between a) letting itunes find artwork automatically vs. b) embedding it myself in the id3 tags?

Madaracs
Oct 10, 2007, 07:00 PM
This thing is ridiculous. First it takes half an hour for my iPod to sync, then it wants to update, but the iPod is already trying to disconnect and freezes. On reset, it connects, the Mac wants to update, first for 10 minutes is 'waiting for iPod' and then after another 10 minutes of 'updating iPod' just quits with an error, again leaving the iPod frozen.

Try putting your iPod into Hard Drive mode. If you do this the iPod won't prematurely eject. Once you've synced your iPod, wait for it to complete the operation and then apply the update.

I did this and then switched back to regular usage mode, disabling the hard disk mode--and everything works great now.

Simple.Nature
Oct 13, 2007, 02:22 AM
Yes, things load faster under 1.0.2 but someone REALLY messed up. My COVER FLOW is no longer sorted by artist!!! I even deleted ALL the albums and reloaded them from iTUNES... ha... exactly the same unsorted order.

HELP!!! Kitaro Album 2 should follow Kitaro Album 1! ALWAYS!

Simple.Nature
Oct 16, 2007, 11:59 PM
Yes, things load faster under 1.0.2 but someone REALLY messed up. My COVER FLOW is no longer sorted by artist!!! I even deleted ALL the albums and reloaded them from iTUNES... ha... exactly the same unsorted order.

HELP!!! Kitaro Album 2 should follow Kitaro Album 1! ALWAYS!

Seems odd to be answering my own questions on the forum especially for a nubee but here goes:

Seems the new update (1.0.2) has incorporated the "Compilations" flag and for some reason, this affects the sort of the Album Flow by placing Compilations-tagged albums on the end of the Album Flow sort.

Who at Apple decided that Compilations should be part of an Artist/Album sort anyway?

I had 5 albums tag themselves as Compilations during the iTunes upload from CD. Each album was placed in a "Compilations" folder (PC!) with the album name'd folder only (no artist!). Simply untagging the Compilation field will not correct this in iTunes. You have a little more work to do than that.

In your PC's folder where you have the iTunes songs go, make sure you have the artists folder available. Then drag the album folder from the "Compilations" folder to the correct artist folder (that's the easy part). Now you need to get into iTunes again. Once you let your iPod sync, you will see "!" next to the songs that can no longer be found (iTunes to PC sync). Now you have to re-sync iTunes with your files CAREFULLY one at a time. You can also uncheck the "Compilation" tag in iTunes now.

Took me about an hour to re-sort 5 albums. I don't know what the proper use for compilations "really" is but obviously I'm not the only one. I had David Arkenstone Visionary, Album 1 and Album 2 both tagged as compilations... and Kitaro only album 2 was tagged... and The Doors ?!? Steel Pulse? And why doesn't iTunes have a field for the compilations tag in their lists??? ...it has every other @#$%dang thing available in the spreadsheet!

Oh well, could have been worse but mystery solved. My favorite and most valuable sort has been restored and it only took me a week of frustration to figure it out. BTW, I figured it out by turning on Compilations in my Music Menu and noted that those were the albums that were out-of-sorts :)

And no need to answer my other open question... what happens to my pre-installed games on a restore of my Classic 80Gig?!? No one has answered that yet. And I still cannot find a way to back up those games that are on the pod. Seems someone traveled this path by now... NOT?

Fernandisco
Nov 2, 2007, 06:13 PM
Hi there, people

I'm having troubles with my 3rd generation iPod Nano 4GB since I've installed the 1.0.2 update. Searching for help, I've found this.

Well, after the installation I put some songs in my iPod, and then disconnected it from iTunes. When I got asked to, I plug off the cable and then the iPod froze, showing the apple logo.

I reset it holding the central button and the Menu button, but after the reset I always get the same screen. I connected it to the PC again, but neither Windows nor iTunes recognize it.

I can't turn off it, only reset it. Now, I have an excellent coaster which will only show me that beautiful Apple.

What should I do? Thanks a lot.

PD: Sorry if I have some misspellings, but I'm Spanish.

Fernandisco
Nov 3, 2007, 03:46 AM
Well, this morning when I went to see how was it going with my iPod, I realized that it was turned off. I tried to turn on it, and 'connect to power' message said me that the battery ran out. I connected it to the PC... but I'm still getting that apple-logo screen.

Any suggestions? I think I'll have to contact with Apple Care...

eric55lv
Nov 4, 2007, 12:26 AM
I think that Apple needs a new softwore update for the new nanos

Fernandisco
Nov 4, 2007, 06:33 AM
But even if Apple makes a new software, I'm now unable to install it because my iPod won't connect to my PC.

Stike
Nov 4, 2007, 09:20 AM
Sounds like you need to return your nano... Should still be under warranty, right?

Fernandisco
Nov 5, 2007, 02:59 PM
Yes, I called today to the technical support and they are supposed to collect my iPod within 48 hours.

Thanks for your replies.

eric55lv
Nov 7, 2007, 06:28 PM
As a side note, here's a nice shot of CSI miami, episode 2 of season 6. Obviously, someone does not know how to hold an iPhone. :)
http://img514.imageshack.us/img514/5476/picture2zg2.pngI cant blieve that that guy knew waht was an iphone was

howdthattaste
Nov 16, 2007, 12:15 AM
hello, new here

let me get this straight: <<"Apple announced that Cover Flow would be utilized in the third generation iPod nano as well as the new iPod classic and iPod touch models.">> source (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cover_Flow)

so i have a 5th gen ipod video (80gb). Does this mean i cannot (and will never be able to) use this Cover Flow feature?

Tom B.
Nov 16, 2007, 07:11 AM
so i have a 5th gen ipod video (80gb). Does this mean i cannot (and will never be able to) use this Cover Flow feature?

Correct.

howdthattaste
Nov 16, 2007, 10:45 AM
Correct.

Ouch... thanks, i will retire into my n00b-ness.

bloodnok
Nov 19, 2007, 01:13 PM
scanned this thread but saw nothing. i bought a 160gb ipod classic. connected it for its first sync. itunes asked if i wanted to upgrade. clicked okay. result: a dead ipod. took it back. ipod #2, same thing. & ipod #3. completely removed itunes, looking especially for ipod firmware files. ipod #4 has been fine, but still running 1.0.0 firmware.

has nobody else experienced this? the apple store "genius" seemed blase about the failure as if it wasn't the first. the three "dead" units would play, but if plugged into a computer, regardless which one (i've two macs & a nasty stinkpad from work), would attempt to connect then reset itself. there was no way to access the ipod after the firmware was installed ...

SXR
Nov 20, 2007, 04:58 AM
Album art in Cover Flow is better/fixed . If you scrolled too fast, it had a problem keeping up, artwork didn't load fast enough.

Yeah , you even saw that in the demo Steve did.

eric55lv
Nov 20, 2007, 06:21 PM
Yeah , you even saw that in the demo Steve did.

and now its looking staicy again

Kidaroo102
Nov 24, 2007, 04:40 AM
Wouldn't it be much cheaper to produce a standard 3,5 mm headphone jack than producing one capable of transferring video? Since the dock connector needs to output video anyways, and people in general doesn't care which port is used when the ipods outputting video by the tv(excdept for al of us who needs to buy new cables). Then requiring people to buy Apple's own cables to get it to work.

I don't think any other explaination than the financial one makes any sense at all.

I bought a dynex universal 5 in 1 station with remote for IPOD. I doesn't state specifically that it is for iPod Nano, but it says it's for iPod with video. I hooked it up to my Nano and it worked then it didn't work, but after a reset in iTunes, it's up and working on my TV great through my reciever. So the whole put it in an apple dock then move to another dock is out of water...so it the whole cable idea....it just works with an off brand docking station with a few quirks. The station was made for iPod video so it suprised me that it worked in the first place. Hope this helps.

eric55lv
Nov 24, 2007, 02:19 PM
that happened to me too i got some cables to connect it to the tv the audio was fine but it was like a picture slide show but it was Family Guy