PDA

View Full Version : Facebook to Launch iTunes Competitor?

MacRumors
Oct 6, 2007, 12:30 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

All Facebook (http://www.allfacebook.com/2007/10/facebook-to-launch-itunes-competitor/) claims to have heard that Facebook (http://www.facebook.com) has been working on launching an iTunes competitor.

Few details about the upcoming service is available, but Facebook has reportedly been pursuing agreements with a number of record labels and is actively recruiting for an executive for this new subdivision.

Facebook (http://www.facebook.com) is a popular social networking site that was originally launched for college students in 2004. In September 2006, Facebook opened its door to the general population and has grown to be the 3rd most popular (http://blog.compete.com/2007/09/11/facebook-third-biggest-site-page-views-myspace-down/) website on the internet in terms of pageviews.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2007/10/06/facebook-to-launch-itunes-competitor/)

winmacguy
Oct 6, 2007, 12:34 AM
This should be an interesting development if it does come to fruition.
Oops, I think I read that wrong. I took it as a complement to iTunes rather than a possible competitor...doh! Oh well best of luck to them. ;)

evilgEEk
Oct 6, 2007, 12:35 AM
I could see this being somewhat successful as long as it's intertwined with the Facebook websites. But it will never be able to compete with iTunes as a whole media content package.

Personally I can't stand MySpace or Facebook, and I hope the service either flops or doesn't even get off the ground. :p

MacinDoc
Oct 6, 2007, 12:39 AM
With Facebook's popularity, this could be iTunes' most serious competitor yet.

nadinbrzezinski
Oct 6, 2007, 12:39 AM
online distro of many a popular thing is now common

let the games begin

:D

jarenado
Oct 6, 2007, 12:46 AM
until facebook makes peripherals that are as popular as the ipod, and use only facebook music store, itunes doesnt have much to worry about.

miketcool
Oct 6, 2007, 12:47 AM
Not shocked. I ditched the Facebook a while back after reading the agreements document. I dont sell my info for free to marketing monsters. Makes sense to convert it into a store, thats where it was all going anyway...

With M$ wanting to buy a share of it, and looking at the "Zune Social", can we say merger? M$ wants to tap into what started off as a way to socialize and overtake iTunes. This will be a serious threat as long as Facebook remains cool. Apple better not underestimate this threat, the results could be devistating.

Teddy's
Oct 6, 2007, 01:00 AM
Omg I so ********** hate facebook.

I guess that was idea of that egghead Ballmer.

Yeah, I am all for competition and fair competition... and whatever posts say "yeah welcome the competition and whatever"

But this is something personal long before this rumor: I hate facebook. :mad:

Ja Di ksw
Oct 6, 2007, 01:01 AM
I use to like Facebook a lot more than I do now. Once they came out saying they were trying to compete with MS and started adding all the applications to it, everything became way too cluttered and nasty. I won't be buying anything from them, though I'll probably still keep my account.

skwoytek
Oct 6, 2007, 01:06 AM
I can't see most people going to Facebook for music unless they're already using it.

First, it's like MySpace and in time will pass. Second, it's like MySpace in that none of their monetizing efforts (outside of advertising) really brought in the cash. Third, it's like MySpace in that most of its users are not spenders.

Quillz
Oct 6, 2007, 01:09 AM
I honestly can't see this working out very well. The iTunes Store is popular not just because of its huge library, but because of how well it works with the iPod and iTunes. Like others have said, this may work for Facebook users, but I doubt new people will register just for the music.

diamond3
Oct 6, 2007, 01:12 AM
I like facebook more for what it does. People get so defensive against facebook and myspace but to me, I found a few lost friends that moved away and its great to keep in touch. There is nothing else like it. Thats why its so popular.

As for the music idea, I don't believe iTunes has anything to worry about as far as competition goes. They've made there mark deep enough no one is going to effect it.

mozmac
Oct 6, 2007, 01:19 AM
I love to see strong iTunes competitors if their files run on iPods and good integration with iTunes, like Amazon MP3. If facebook provides that, I applaud them. Apple benefits because it will continue to sell iPods to those customers. If it's tied to the Zune, then who freakin' gives a crap. The Zune will not outdo the iPod...ever. It's too much of a "me-too" product without innovation, so people don't want it.

For the record, I prefer facebook WAY OVER myspace. It's cleaner, has a great interface, and has helped me get back in touch with tons of old friends all the back to elementary school.

dhirajpatil
Oct 6, 2007, 01:27 AM
This is ********... when competitors are going to accept that they cant beat iTunes...Accept it and live upto it....

angelwatt
Oct 6, 2007, 01:27 AM
Competitor? Hah, that's a laugh. This is so a non-issue. I've been losing more and more respect for Facebook and getting close to closing my account. I'd like to see friendly competition, but this will be far from it if anything at all.

macduke
Oct 6, 2007, 01:34 AM
I used to go on facebook all the time, and then started using it less. That changed once they made the Facebook webApp for the iPhone. That version doesn't have all the cluttered crap all over. It's clean and neat, like facebook used to be. Facebook is still much better then MySpace, and I welcome the iTunes competition. If Apple were the only company, then there wouldn't be any competition, and no reason to make things better. Competition is good, and like the Prez would say, bring it on terrorists Facebook.

spotlight07
Oct 6, 2007, 01:42 AM
I can't see most people going to Facebook for music unless they're already using it.

First, it's like MySpace and in time will pass. Second, it's like MySpace in that none of their monetizing efforts (outside of advertising) really brought in the cash. Third, it's like MySpace in that most of its users are not spenders.

It's funny how few ways there are to actually generate revenue on the web. Amazon sounds more likely to work than Facebook at selling songs. Let's not forget that iTunes is really the whole package of easy downloads, easy sync to iPods, and easy digital jukebox. Selling songs doesn't compete on all the levels of iTunes. iTunes worked because of the seemless product and I don't see that duplicated yet.

KingYaba
Oct 6, 2007, 01:50 AM
I will try this iTunes competitor out of curiosity but I seriously doubt it will change my iTunes usage.

thunderclap
Oct 6, 2007, 01:57 AM
Why is it when anyone tries to compete with anything Apple it receives negative feedback? What's wrong with healthy competition? If they can surpass what Apple has achieved with iTunes then good for them. The best of luck to them.

(And I am a big Apple supporter but if another party pushes the envelope then so be it.)

MacTheSpoon
Oct 6, 2007, 02:05 AM
Hmm, well, Yahoo Finance ran an article saying that this rumor is false.

http://biz.yahoo.com/paidcontent/071005/1_315499_id.html?.v=16

According to them, Facebook is actually going to be working with iTunes.

jackc
Oct 6, 2007, 02:07 AM
I don't see how the music store is going to leverage any advantage from the Facebook membership. Either it's cheaper/better or it's not.

Windowlicker
Oct 6, 2007, 02:12 AM
If the hypotetical store will be as hard to use as Facebook itself, I don't see a great success. They do have loads of people constantly logging in/checking stuff though, so it might be easy to get them buy a song or two at the same time.

My personal wish is to keep Facebook moneyfree (well, sponsors etc is fine).

irun5k
Oct 6, 2007, 02:18 AM
So for an old fart like me (31 yrs old and counting), can someone explain Facebook? Is it basically like a myspace.com for older kids or something? How does it differ from myspace?

BigJohno
Oct 6, 2007, 02:29 AM
Stupid. Facebook just stay in your own territory. It doesn't need another application. AHHHHH

AppleMatt389
Oct 6, 2007, 02:37 AM
So for an old fart like me (31 yrs old and counting), can someone explain Facebook? Is it basically like a myspace.com for older kids or something? How does it differ from myspace?

It's very similar to MySpace, but its interface is a bit cleaner and generally easier to use. It's also a much more private networking tool, because by default, unless you are friends with someone, they can't see your profile. However, Facebook releases your information to third parties for research etc., and some people really don't like that. Otherwise, it's essentially the same age group that uses it.

:apple:Matt

n-abounds
Oct 6, 2007, 02:38 AM
Personally, I don't think competition is a good thing for the music industry until the dust settles. I sure as hell don't want each label pushing its own website/drm/pricing scheme/music players. I think they need to realize that they need a fixed pricing scheme and such before competition will become beneficial.

kitki83
Oct 6, 2007, 02:48 AM
You know something I learn about technology either you jump on it right away, you wait to see what happens to decide or you just reject it. Hardly any company for last few years did what iTunes did, mp3 and device combo and now we are seeing the late bloomers joining in. I have to think why would people use to iTunes wanna change? But this does create deals and specials.

macduke
Oct 6, 2007, 02:48 AM
Hmm, well, Yahoo Finance ran an article saying that this rumor is false.

http://biz.yahoo.com/paidcontent/071005/1_315499_id.html?.v=16

According to them, Facebook is actually going to be working with iTunes.

This would make sense given how happy The Steve was at the last big keynote showing off the Facebook WebApp. I could see these two becoming good friends. I always used to think of Facebook as the Mac and MySpace as the PC. Facebook was just so much simpler, streamlined and didn't break down nearly as often. Now it's starting to get crapped up, but I guess that's what happens when you become the most popular kid on the block. I'm sure they worked closely with Apple on the Facebook WebApp. It is just too good. I'm not sure they could make a third party version that would be much better, so that's quite a feat. I'm sure a 3rd party app for Facebook would still be killer, and I'd love to see that come to iTunes as a free download if they ever get their pre-approved development going. Picture uploads would be nice.

nlivo
Oct 6, 2007, 03:00 AM
i could see apple and facebook teaming up. i have never used facebook because i have only seen the main page when someone was online and it looked very confussing.

princigalli
Oct 6, 2007, 03:06 AM
This shows what a follower Facebook is. Come on, why can't anybody come up with anything original and new instead of trying to copy Apple and take its marketshare?

And Facebook is not just behind Apple. It's actually a copy of all the other companies that have been trying to copy Apple. So it's the follower of followers.

Windowlicker
Oct 6, 2007, 03:35 AM

Well, it basically is like myspace, but different. You don't see anyone's profile unless they accept your friend request. This way you get to build a group with people you know. It's an easy way to chat a little bit, put up info about gigs/parties and see who's coming, put up photos from your trip to Malaysia...

edit. I should've guessed someone else had already replied. Well, no real harm done..

Darkroom
Oct 6, 2007, 03:54 AM
iTunes killer? that's unlikely... maybe instead there making iphone.facebook.com more integrated with iTunes Wi-Fi Music Store?

surferfromuk
Oct 6, 2007, 04:39 AM
Identity crisis alert!!

... and the rest of the boardroom minutes they didn't print

'and maybe we should sell books, DVD's and electronics too...and maybe a clothes range and perhaps we should sponsor the development of a facebook PDA and maybe our own range of pasta sauce and maybe a facebook personal video network and our own business networking news channel and maybe we can do facebook personal finance, car loans and mortgages and..."

...and so it goes...

Kardashian
Oct 6, 2007, 04:56 AM
Actually, they already have some sort of 'partnership'.

If you join the Facebook Group 'Ticketmaster' - iTunes gives you 5 free downloads from the iTunes Store.

I think its more likely they have formed a partnership, rather than staged a war - if what I have written above is anything to go by.

PS: It's not just hear say, I have joined the group and got my 5 free downlaods. When you enter the code into iTunes, it even brings up a Ticketmaster logo, and says thank you for joining the Ticketmaster Facebook group. This means Facebook/Ticketmaster aren't just dishing out any ol' store codes, as iTunes recognises them as origining from Facebook - even displaying the logo of the company etc.

Therefore, I think a partnership is more likely.

samh004
Oct 6, 2007, 05:31 AM
I would of imagined the partnership would of just been along the lines of an official facebook "My iTunes" app. As you can't paste the code you get from iTunes currently into facebook. Thus with the official app, you'll be able to download songs yours friends like easier.

However, what I would like to know is how do I get these free downloads ? Is the group Ticketmaster Live ? Or have I got lost somewhere, I'm not seeing anything in that group about free downloads.

Edit: Apparently the free codes are no longer given, perhaps due to abuse, or maybe they just got too many members and reached a quota ?

dukebound85
Oct 6, 2007, 05:45 AM
This is ********... when competitors are going to accept that they cant beat iTunes...Accept it and live upto it....

Same was said about the romans or anything at the top. One thing is for sure all empires fall

offwidafairies
Oct 6, 2007, 05:47 AM
I cant see how a facebook application could even try to compete with iTunes. While I think there is plenty of room for improvement in iTunes, it is still a good step ahead of competitors. And I HATE facebook - it clogs up my email :(

Sheradon
Oct 6, 2007, 06:22 AM
Let them open it up !

The more IMP3 Stores out there there is with free DRM the more IPOD Apple sells.

Bring it on :D

deannnnn
Oct 6, 2007, 06:25 AM
I believe the update (that Facebook is teaming with iTunes)...
Facebook has always been very supportive of Apple and iTunes....
In fact, as a member of the Facebook Apple Students Group, they give out free songs every month or so.

It's pretty cool,
and I really doubt that Facebook would start their own service.

Facebook doesn't have much to do with music at all... so why would they randomly start selling it?!

deannnnn
Oct 6, 2007, 06:26 AM
I cant see how a facebook application could even try to compete with iTunes. While I think there is plenty of room for improvement in iTunes, it is still a good step ahead of competitors. And I HATE facebook - it clogs up my email :(

You can turn that e-mail feature off =)

Bonte
Oct 6, 2007, 06:27 AM
Same was said about the romans or anything at the top. One thing is for sure all empires fall

Hear hear, my prediction is the fall of the empire Microsoft within the next 5 years, Apple has some more time left. :cool:

sananda
Oct 6, 2007, 06:34 AM
However, what I would like to know is how do I get these free downloads ? Is the group Ticketmaster Live ? Or have I got lost somewhere, I'm not seeing anything in that group about free downloads.

US only.

psychofreak
Oct 6, 2007, 06:57 AM
At the Facebook guy's keynote (definitely SJ inspired, but he had no confidence), he was using a Mac...just to show its worth mentioning :)

dogcowx
Oct 6, 2007, 08:19 AM
So why isn't this shoved to page 2 as a non-newsish item?

VoodooDaddy
Oct 6, 2007, 08:37 AM
Personally I can't stand MySpace or Facebook,

I thought I was the only one.

kmarty009
Oct 6, 2007, 09:19 AM
until facebook makes peripherals that are as popular as the ipod, and use only facebook music store, itunes doesnt have much to worry about.

I second that notion. But competition is always good.

scoobydoo99
Oct 6, 2007, 09:48 AM
>Few details about the upcoming service is available,

that should be, "few details...ARE..."

Yateball
Oct 6, 2007, 11:18 AM
To me this is good news, competition always makes companies make their product better. This good result in a new updated and better itunes

puckhead193
Oct 6, 2007, 11:55 AM
i could see more of a partnership. Apple in the past has given memebers in their group on facebook free songs to download off of iTMS

twoodcc
Oct 6, 2007, 02:05 PM
With Facebook's popularity, this could be iTunes' most serious competitor yet.

it could be, but i doubt they'll be much. you never know though, but i have my faith in Apple

pocketrockets
Oct 6, 2007, 02:21 PM
1. Facebook in Palo Alto uses Macs in the business. They buy from the PA and Stanford Apple Store all the time. That has nothing to do with their philosophy though, which has gone downhill the past year.

2. Facebook is way too slow these days, and there are so many applications it's just sickening to view.

Overall, I doubt Facebook will be very successful in Music. Facebook just became too saturated down with junk after all of the applications. Had Facebook had this feature embedded in the website (NOT an application) when it launched, it would probably be easier to use and faster in speed.

joeshell383
Oct 6, 2007, 02:29 PM
This shows what a follower Facebook is. Come on, why can't anybody come up with anything original and new instead of trying to copy Apple and take its marketshare?

And Facebook is not just behind Apple. It's actually a copy of all the other companies that have been trying to copy Apple. So it's the follower of followers.

Basic economics says that new competitors will enter markets where profits are being made. Facebook is in a great position to compete with Apple, too. Online music would be easy for them, considering that they're one of the top ten sites visited on the web.

Basic economics also says that, if you don't like their service, than you won't buy from them, but that markets with free entry and exit, and competition, are always good for consumers because supplier profits are driven towards zero. Unless you're with Apple corporate, I'm not sure why you would personally dislike the idea of facebook starting a music store.

If your comment made sense than Apple would have never started selling digital music, iPods, Apple TVs, or iPhones.

Personally, I don't think competition is a good thing for the music industry until the dust settles. I sure as hell don't want each label pushing its own website/drm/pricing scheme/music players. I think they need to realize that they need a fixed pricing scheme and such before competition will become beneficial.

First, the dust has settled, MP3 is a universal format. There are already enormous competitive hurdles to overcome due to the iPod+iTunes ecosystem. Second, in all but a few industries (like utilities), competition is always good for consumers, especially BEFORE barriers to entry are erected.

joeshell383
Oct 6, 2007, 02:37 PM

First, the dust has settled, MP3 is a universal format. There are already enormous competitive hurdles to overcome due to the iPod+iTunes ecosystem. Second, in all but a few industries (like utilities), competition is always good for consumers, especially BEFORE barriers to entry are erected.

rjames86
Oct 6, 2007, 02:49 PM
I would never use this. Facebook has gone horribly down hill in the last year. I miss the original facebook with simple profile and only college students.

I'm happy with my ITMS.

samh004
Oct 6, 2007, 09:19 PM
US only.

Is that via IP or by my set location ? I could just create a new account based in the US to get free songs could I not ?

mdriftmeyer
Oct 6, 2007, 11:08 PM
How anyone figures Social Web Networking sites like MySpace or Facebook competes in the same space as iTunes doesn't understanding Social Networking nor iTunes.

I can see partnerships to leverage future services between them, but then again Social Networking sites really aren't very social. They are great to track peoples purchasing patterns similiar to what Grocery stores and retail stores try to do, but if there isn't many ways to bring people to mimic gathering in groups to chat then what's the point?

Hell, I had better social conversations playing Hearts, Spades, etc., on Yahoo Games for years.

mike12806
Oct 7, 2007, 04:29 PM
Facebook apps have been the absolute downfall of that website...they have totally sold out and turned it into myspace...it looks so cluttered.

jmbear
Oct 8, 2007, 02:13 PM
They send me an email whenever somebody scratches their nose lol. I actually like hi5 more, its all about the pictures =)

morespce54
Oct 9, 2007, 09:22 AM
Facebook apps have been the absolute downfall of that website...they have totally sold out and turned it into myspace...it looks so cluttered.

Well, one thing which still make Facebook better than MySpace is that I don't get requests from Sarah, Lyndy, Suzy or whatever telling me they think I'm cute and that I should check their pictures on their website... ;)
(aka SPAM) :(

Tara Davis
Oct 9, 2007, 10:25 AM
Well, one thing which still make Facebook better than MySpace is that I don't get requests from Sarah, Lyndy, Suzy or whatever telling me they think I'm cute and that I should check their pictures on their website... ;)
(aka SPAM) :(

I don't either, and I'm on MySpace.

Your FUD is about two years out of date.

That, or you must like to add a lot of really shady people to your Friends list.

mike12806
Oct 27, 2007, 10:07 AM
I don't either, and I'm on MySpace.

Your FUD is about two years out of date.

That, or you must like to add a lot of really shady people to your Friends list.

They don't have to be on your friends list? MySpace is bloated and so full of crap its annoying.